Sacred Heart Nazi Sports Academy

mallmagician

To most Thais the use of Buddha images as ornaments in the West is just as offensive. I know a Thai restaurant in the UK that has a large bust of Buddha on the floor next to the mats to brush the soles of shoes. This is also an example of ignorance.

There's always one. Could not be more predictable.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the students wanted to express their support for Nazis and Hitler.

They just needed a (funny) theme for their team.

Those symbols don't mean much over here, Hitler has even been used as a advertisement lately in Pattaya. They don't know much about the mass murders.

So I wouldn't loose too much energy in getting worked up about that.

But the school certainly failed in its educational mission.

Spot on.

They were told why it was offensive, so if they didn't already know, then they did once told. Perhaps you've not read the full thread.

Question most expats on some basic stuff regarding Thai history and you'll receive blank stares. However, these same expats expect Thais to be aware of nazi atrocities 70 years ago in Germany during the second world war.

Ah, I didn't catch that earlier. They had been told by farang so they should have jumped double pronto. What ignorant savages they are. I'll get my pith helmet and elephant gun.

I don't think the students wanted to express their support for Nazis and Hitler.

Those symbols don't mean much over here, Hitler has even been used as a advertisement lately in Pattaya. They don't know much about the mass murders.

Spot on.

Yes, beggars belief. ;)

I agree that it is offensive and I have seen other schools in Thailand do similar things. Pattaya and Phuket had some pics online from an event like this.

The one issue that I have is that ok, the teachers were told and let it continue. However we don't know when they were told. Telling them the day or two before the event after the kids spent hours making costumes and banners and probably performing for hours. Most teachers are not going to stop something completely. They would get a lot more complaints from parents that already spent considerable time and effort themselves.

I also find it ironic when the countless people who claim this is wrong are the same one's that call their partner "Thai Wife" or refer to other western expats as Farrang. Or even worse call someone a Nazi this or that when the person is acting like a dictator. I remember not too long ago on this web some reference to Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi"

If it is so bad to you, then why is it a part of our vernacular?

I am not condoning what the school did. Personally, I think that it is atrocious. I am just saying that westerners do as many ignorant things and we are to be forgiven. We also don't know the full story. We are hearing one side from an angry parent or 3rd hand information.

Third point, anyone that thinks the Buddhist symbol is the same is an idiot. It is in reverse. Certain nations of Native Americans also have used the reverse symbol. That is like confusing a turn left with a turn right signal. If you are that oblivious to things, you shouldn't be on the street.

I also find it ironic when the countless people who claim this is wrong are the same one's that call their partner "Thai Wife" or refer to other western expats as Farrang. Or even worse call someone a Nazi this or that when the person is acting like a dictator. I remember not too long ago on this web some reference to Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi"

Sorry, but none of these examples of harmless or humorous language have anything to do with having school children dress up like Nazis and goose step around the campus. :blink:

Third point, anyone that thinks the Buddhist symbol is the same is an idiot. It is in reverse. Certain nations of Native Americans also have used the reverse symbol. That is like confusing a turn left with a turn right signal. If you are that oblivious to things, you shouldn't be on the street.

The Svastika is used in both directions. The Jains and sometimes the Buddhists put it the same direction as the Nazis. The difference is the axis and the background. Does that make you an idiot?

It's pretty esoteric stuff -- I think you overreacting a bit .

Sorry, but none of these examples of harmless or humorous language have anything to do with having school children dress up like Nazis and goose step around the campus. :blink:

Indeed. The comparisons were just to absurd for me to even discuss.

I agree that it is offensive and I have seen other schools in Thailand do similar things. Pattaya and Phuket had some pics online from an event like this.

The one issue that I have is that ok, the teachers were told and let it continue. However we don't know when they were told. Telling them the day or two before the event after the kids spent hours making costumes and banners and probably performing for hours. Most teachers are not going to stop something completely. They would get a lot more complaints from parents that already spent considerable time and effort themselves.

If it is so bad to you, then why is it a part of our vernacular?

I am not condoning what the school did. Personally, I think that it is atrocious. I am just saying that westerners do as many ignorant things and we are to be forgiven. We also don't know the full story. We are hearing one side from an angry parent or 3rd hand information.

For what its worth, i had the information 1st hand, so it's 2 nd hand info now. I did view the pictures and video, and I did talk to a number of individuals that were there. I simply wouldn't have posted if I had any doubt the info I got wasn't correct, as it's hardly good publicity for the school.

Even if they were told late in the preparations, it's not hard to tone it down, and remove some references. "great work on the uniforms kids, but we must remove the symbols, and perhaps let's not salute and goose-step. The reason is that xxxxxx etc etc". Wouldn't have been hard, unless being completely pig-headed.

I thought this was quite funny:

and this:

Satire..... Not quite the same thing.... There is a fine line, sometimes difficult to judge, but not in this instance...

I thought this was quite funny:

and this:

To most Thais the use of Buddha images as ornaments in the West is just as offensive. I know a Thai restaurant in the UK that has a large bust of Buddha on the floor next to the mats to brush the soles of shoes. This is also an example of ignorance.

No it's not. The Buddha is everywhere. Perhaps you think the Buddha is not on the soles of your feet.

So you feel it's not offensive to Thais to place Buddha images next to shoes and/or on the floor. We'll have to disagree on this one.

What about on a bathing suit as I recall was once done and was resoundingly opposed..

Obviously you have never seen Peter Sellers in full flood.............

Sense, humour, lacking......

So in fact the kids were just doing satire? It was a comedy act?

But, you've assumed they were a branch of the Hitler youth celebrating nazism.

Thai kids no nothing about UK sense of humour, in fact my mrs knows nothing about humour at all.

The fact is that Thai kids are not taught history from outside Thailand at all, it's all a joke the goose step etc. Sad really.

Peter Sellers is a comedian and very funny. The school chidren are a different story.

Herring, red, silly comparison...

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have? Wow, what a remarkably stupid thing for you to say.

1) I never said any such thing nor in any way implied it.

2) I posted this:

Spot on.

Now, leaving aside that you've just made something up and assigned it to me, can you explain how my simple yes/no question:

Can be answered beginning with "But..."?

I have? Wow, what a remarkably stupid thing for you to say.

1) I never said any such thing nor in any way implied it.

2) I posted this:

Spot on.

Now, leaving aside that you've just made something up and assigned it to me, can you explain how my simple yes/no question:

Can be answered beginning with "But..."?

I was just doing satire! It was a comedy act!

As suspected Loaded, you have no idea of the meaning of the word satire.

Thanks for confirmation...

Did you see the two videos I posted?

Yes. Those were satirical, but you seem to be lumping the sacred heart event in the same category.

Then you claimed you were being satirical yourself- you werent... Hence my post.

All clear?

A hell of alot of farang teachers walked out.

Wonder if the OP is one of them. :rolleyes:

No pics but the place is named and shamed. :whistling:

Sorry no, I'm not a teacher. But I know quite a few....

I have seen the pics, and another member confirmed they saw the younger ones parade out of the school, so it's verified.

Peter Sellers is a comedian and very funny. The school chidren are a different story.

Herring, red, silly comparison...

Can you tell me why my comment is a " Red Herring" and a " silly comparison" to what exactly ?

Yes. Those were satirical, but you seem to be lumping the sacred heart event in the same category.

Then you claimed you were being satirical yourself- you werent... Hence my post.

All clear?

You haven't explained why Thais were goosestepping dressed as nazis because I think you don't know. However, you have decided you were offended. I'm not.

All clear?

You haven't explained why Thais were goosestepping dressed as nazis because I think you don't know. However, you have decided you were offended. I'm not.

I believe ignorance on the kids part, and the teachers certainly thought it was appropriate even when told it certainly is not...

Now if we all dress as Thai kids dressed as nazis and a few acted like dumb teachers, and filmed it, then..... That is satire...