BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

Racism At Amphur In Bangkok

May I ask where stupidity starts for paying 2500baht over the odds?

I bought an electric drill, black&decker 500 watt for about 4.000 baht at homepro.

When it was stolen, together with other items, the house insurance offered me a quote of 50%,

(because they only pay for the real replacement value and not the farang price)

I bought the same electric drill in europe again, for about 1.800 baht, and brought it to thailand.

so, everytime, you have an insurance case, you will realize the real value of your products.

I bought an electric drill, black&decker 500 watt for about 4.000 baht at homepro.

When it was stolen, together with other items, the house insurance offered me a quote of 50%,

I bought the same electric drill in europe again, for about 1.800 baht, and brought it to thailand.

so, everytime, you have an insurance case, you will realize the real value of your products.

I would say home pro with its prices up there is quite fair (i mean thai and farang pay the same).

This is why a smart man RENTS everything(house, cars, etc). <_<

value always has been, and always will be, in the eye of the beholder.

come one........ if you compare thai to American diverced wifes, they will take the skin off your bones too.

He should left her something I think. Just my thoughts, he got daughter for god sake, that almost never happens

I had a friend who spoke fluent Thai and used to live in Bangkok. He told me he got tired of riding the bus as most of the Thais in the bus start talking behind his back about what he was doing there and why he needed to get on the bus. These were only the small topics but it later escalated in to pure hatred and that was when he decided to leave.

This case at the Amphur has nothing to do with sexism at all. The uneducated in Thailand (which has nothing to do with a BD or MD) don´t know anything outside their little world and assumes the worst of people since they can´t do anything about their own situation. This is quite a common thing in most countries however in Thailand the racism has spread into the system and some handlers like to abuse their authority simply because they don´t happen to like the person in question , whether he is black or white.

The staff at the Amphur looks at the farang as a walking ATM and if you gonna tell me its about sexism then you are dead wrong. It's a twisted assumption that everybody outside their country have better than them. Normally they wouldn´t care too mucb about the woman in question but since a farang is involved , well then the hunting season can begin. It's the same story at the immigration offices especially in Bangkok. I have encountered alot of racist remarks from the handlers at these offices but never ever down in the south which I find pretty peculiar.

I had a friend who spoke fluent Thai and used to live in Bangkok. He told me he got tired of riding the bus as most of the Thais in the bus start talking behind his back about what he was doing there and why he needed to get on the bus. These were only the small topics but it later escalated in to pure hatred and that was when he decided to leave.

This case at the Amphur has nothing to do with sexism at all. The uneducated in Thailand (which has nothing to do with a BD or MD) don´t know anything outside their little world and assumes the worst of people since they can´t do anything about their own situation. This is quite a common thing in most countries however in Thailand the racism has spread into the system and some handlers like to abuse their authority simply because they don´t happen to like the person in question , whether he is black or white.

The staff at the Amphur looks at the farang as a walking ATM and if you gonna tell me its about sexism then you are dead wrong. It's a twisted assumption that everybody outside their country have better than them. Normally they wouldn´t care too mucb about the woman in question but since a farang is involved , well then the hunting season can begin. It's the same story at the immigration offices especially in Bangkok. I have encountered alot of racist remarks from the handlers at these offices but never ever down in the south which I find pretty peculiar.

Funny, I speak fluent Thai as well and ride public transport. Most, if not all people very rarely give me the time of day.

Any Ampur I walk into treat me well. As does immigration when we extend my wife's visa.

All I can say I'm very glad I live in a different Thailand to you.

Any Ampur I walk into treat me well. As does immigration when we extend my wife's visa.

Same here on the whole. It may be pointing out the blatantly obvious to some but Thai officials ( and all Thais come to that) are not this single pulsating organism but made up of different people with different personalities the same as every other person on the planet. Some are rude and racist, some are not, some are friendly, some are not, some are helpful, some are not. Like everyone else.

As an example when I extended my visa a couple of years ago the immi officer asked my wife " Is yours a genuine marriage or does he ( meaning me ) rent you to stay in Thailand?" despite us having 10 back to back marriage extensions and a 7 year old daughter in tow. My wife gave a wry smile and said " No it's a genuine marriage" as we both mentally wrote him off as a rude dolt.

On the other side of the coin I extended last week and a different officer, after him filling out the interview form to see how much my wife knew about me to make sure we're legit, commented on our 12 back to back marriage extensions and said he'd give us a copy of the form to fill in ourselves at home because we were obviously genuine but the form was an immi requirement.

If Thais really treated us as crap as some TVF members seem to think I'd have blown this joint long ago.

Rather than get a divorce do what W.C.Fields did...

......'I got a dog for my wife the other day

.....Great exchaaange.....Great exchaaaa...'

I have seen many foreigners at bars surrounded by bar girls carrying toy monkeys etc ,bunches of flowers and all with full glasses of lady drinks.

I have also seen many at good restaurants treating beach girls as if they are high born ladies.

I then hear the words,often, of 'cheap Charlie' with the accompanying smirk from those speaking the words..

And you wonder why you are treated with disrespect.

The Bangkok Amphur sounds like any divorce lawyer in the US :)

I was about to say that she sounds like a lawyer.

There was one instance when we went to the Thai police station and the "boss" there asked my wife in Thai . If I spoke Thai? I answered in Thai, yes I do. Thus was many years ago when there were fewer Farang residents that actually spoke and understood Thai. There is a saying in Thai, "Farang loo mak, mai dee"; Farang know too much, no good!

Fascinating, I speak fairly fluent Thai and in all my years of living in Thailand and overhearing thousands upon thousands of conversations in Thai, not once have I ever heard this 'saying' .

There is website in thai (which i forget the name right now) where thais, and especially women , talk about foreign men and customs: kind of a Thai counterpart to Thaivisa. You will see many Thai women, the "experienced ones" warning that those farang who have been here long, who know Thai ways, are not good 'catches" and its better to get the ones straight off the boat.