Broadband

ThaiPauly

Well it seems TOT don't provide broadband where I live in CM.

But my next door neighbour has it :D

But they still don't connect it where I live even though logistically he is further from the City than I am

Question: Why can't I have it if he does?

Answer: We don't connect it in that area

Question: But, but He HAS it supplied by you

Answer: We dont connect it in that area.

Talk about bashing your head against a brick wall :o

Has anybody else had any problems similar to this, and before I start asking them again does anyone know if it is available in Hang Dong or is that really pushing the envelope way to far.

I LOVE this country all the same :D maybee not in spite of these really stupid things, its because I can laugh at them :D

Has anybody else had any problems similar to this, and before I start asking them again does anyone know if it is available in Hang Dong or is that really pushing the envelope way to far.

Not sure how far into Hang Dong you mean but I live in a moo bahn on the 3rd ring road and my neighbor has TOT ADSL after a 6 month wait. I don't need it (ADSL) due to being network manager at CMU and get service for free. :o

I have just jumped into the broadband limbo myself by applying for a 2 MB TT&T/Hi-Net connection. Got the access code next day (wow!). Unfortunately, the TT&T line went dead on the same day (un-wow!). Probably it suffered a heart attack in anticipation of being used for high-speed data communication.

I am in a moo baan north of CNX near the 3rd ring (respectively the 2nd ring after the superhighway). Some people can get ADSL here, some don't. There seems to be no simple rule for this. A friend of mine lives in Hang Dong near the Samoeng intersection and he's got ADSL. Another friend lives much closer to the city near Wat Umong behind Chonlaprathan road and he doesn't even get a phone line there, not to mention ADSL. So he put a decorative IPSTAR satellite dish in the garden instead.

Cheers, X-Pat

i had major problems with TOT when i tried to get ADSL in hang dong. after several weeks of banging my head against the wall, a kind soul a the TOT office connected me to her friend at TT&T who got me hooked up. i've had maxnet (approx. 800 baht) for about two months now and it seems to be up most of the time.

so i guess my suggestion is to go to TT&T (i went to the office at airport plaza) and see if they can help you out.

good luck.

i had major problems with TOT when i tried to get ADSL in hang dong.  after several weeks of banging my head against the wall, a kind soul a the TOT office connected me to her friend at TT&T who got me hooked up.  i've had maxnet (approx. 800 baht) for about two months now and it seems to be up most of the time.

so i guess my suggestion is to go to TT&T (i went to the office at airport plaza) and see if they can help you out.

good luck.

TT&T have a very efficient office in Central as well. It took me all of ten minutes to sign up, and the connection was on and running inside two days. Must be some sort of record for Thailand. Maxnet does have a few "server problems" but far better than dial up. 256/128 @ 590 baht a month is good value...

I was told by TTT that i was out of range 5-1/2 kilo from booster box and had to be within 4 kilo. I told them to try it and had to sign a waiver that i might only get 70k instead of 512k. This sounded better than my 33k, so i did it. Get 512 most of the time, 256k some times,128 sometimes. Still a good deal=maxnet. :o

I was told by TTT that i was out of range 5-1/2 kilo from booster box and had to be within 4 kilo.  I told them to try it and had to sign a waiver that i might only get 70k instead of 512k.  This sounded better than my 33k, so i did it.  Get 512 most of the time, 256k some times,128 sometimes.  Still a good deal=maxnet. :D

I am subscribing 256/128 connection through tt&t as I signed up for and am quite happy with the speed I'm getting but what puzzles me is my Thai friend( who lives right next door and signed up for exactly same packege-"TT&T,maxnet") gets half the spped I'm getting. :o

jumbochili

Whether the ADSL works or not is also dependent on the quality of the phone line... which is why IMO Thailand's ISPs really should try to spend their money developing and implementing other broadband methods - the phone lines are appalling quality at times. This is the same back in Sweden - in backwater areas where the phone system isn't upgraded and the nearest booster box is some way away, the ISPs will make you sign a waiver as they cannot vouch for the signal quality.

I don't understand why nobody tries to invest in WLAN technology? Should be a much better solution here IMO.

maejoman: TT&T have a very efficient office in Central as well. It took me all of ten minutes to sign up, and the connection was on and running inside two days. Must be some sort of record for Thailand.

I just installed a TT&T ADSL connection. I also found their customer service to be efficient, but I would exempt the Kad Suan Kaew office from that statement. Actually, the ladies at Kad Suan Kaew made a quite sleepy impression on me. They handed me blurry unreadable copies from which to choose a service option. I had to make a passport copy myself, because they said their copier is broken (which explains the blurry copies). Finally they claimed that Max-Net Home (512/256k) is faster than Hi-Net (2048k), because the latter is shared by 50 users and the former only by 20 users.

When I replied that according to standard arithmetics, the Max-Net option works out to 25.6k per user and the Hi-Net option to 40.96 k, they seemed disappointed but made no further attempt to convince me of the opposite (obviously because I was one of those fussy farangs who know everything better). So I got Hi-Net. Username and password came one day later. I bought a modem/router and installed the hardware. The seeply ladies claimed that "installation is very easy", but that turned out to be a theoretical assessment of the situation. It should have been easy if they had they given me the correct parameters.

Because they didn't, I found myself braving the unspeakable phone menu systems of various customer service numbers. CAT Telecom definitely took the biscuit. I dialled 261174 and after listening to some uplifting music I got the operator and outlined my problem in Thai. "Okay, I connect you directly to the technician." (insert 2 minutes silence) The technician picked up and listened to my problem. To my surprise, he repeated the sentence: "Okay, I connect you directly to the technician." (insert 2 minutes silence) The third technician listed to my problem and said: "We are not responsible for this type of problem. Please call 261174." Alright. Infinite loop.

I needed a reflection pause after that conversation. Luckily the TT&T customer service was more responsive. They actually sent over someone next day to have a look at the problem and they fixed it. It turns out, I have another problem now. My ADSL connection currently gives me about 3-4 kByte/s. That's roughly the speed of a dial-up modem connection. The service people from TT&T suspect it is a physical line problem and there will be another technician coming next week. :o

Cheers, X-Pat

Edited by x-pat

maejoman: TT&T have a very efficient office in Central as well. It took me all of ten minutes to sign up, and the connection was on and running inside two days. Must be some sort of record for Thailand.

I just installed a TT&T ADSL connection. I also found their customer service to be efficient, but I would exempt the Kad Suan Kaew office from that statement. Actually, the ladies at Kad Suan Kaew made a quite sleepy impression on me. They handed me blurry unreadable copies from which to choose a service option. I had to make a passport copy myself, because they said their copier is broken (which explains the blurry copies). Finally they claimed that Max-Net Home (512/256k) is faster than Hi-Net (2048k), because the latter is shared by 50 users and the former only by 20 users.

When I replied that according to standard arithmetics, the Max-Net option works out to 25.6k per user and the Hi-Net option to 40.96 k, they seemed disappointed but made no further attempt to convince me of the opposite (obviously because I was one of those fussy farangs who know everything better). So I got Hi-Net. Username and password came one day later. I bought a modem/router and installed the hardware. The seeply ladies claimed that "installation is very easy", but that turned out to be a theoretical assessment of the situation. It should have been easy if they had they given me the correct parameters.

Because they didn't, I found myself braving the unspeakable phone menu systems of various customer service numbers. CAT Telecom definitely took the biscuit. I dialled 261174 and after listening to some uplifting music I got the operator and outlined my problem in Thai. "Okay, I connect you directly to the technician." (insert 2 minutes silence) The technician picked up and listened to my problem. To my surprise, he repeated the sentence: "Okay, I connect you directly to the technician." (insert 2 minutes silence) The third technician listed to my problem and said: "We are not responsible for this type of problem. Please call 261174." Alright. Infinite loop.

I needed a reflection pause after that conversation. Luckily the TT&T customer service was more responsive. They actually sent over someone next day to have a look at the problem and they fixed it. It turns out, I have another problem now. My ADSL connection currently gives me about 3-4 kByte/s. That's roughly the speed of a dial-up modem connection. The service people from TT&T suspect it is a physical line problem and there will be another technician coming next week. :D

Cheers, X-Pat

hub of cock up? :o

I was told by TTT that i was out of range 5-1/2 kilo from booster box and had to be within 4 kilo.  I told them to try it and had to sign a waiver that i might only get 70k instead of 512k.  This sounded better than my 33k, so i did it.  Get 512 most of the time, 256k some times,128 sometimes.  Still a good deal=maxnet. :D

I am subscribing 256/128 connection through tt&t as I signed up for and am quite happy with the speed I'm getting but what puzzles me is my Thai friend( who lives right next door and signed up for exactly same packege-"TT&T,maxnet") gets half the spped I'm getting. :o

jumbochili

same thing happened to me in Calif. at my previous residence.

the phone company quoted me half the speed of the dsl my neighbor got.

what was interesting was originally the company did quote my the full speed dsl. but by the time i actually wanted to place the order, the POTS line left for me was of a low quailty line that they no longer would quote the full speed.

I don't understand why nobody tries to invest in WLAN technology? Should be a much better solution here IMO.

i read discussion about it. seems like it is in the work. if thaksin remains PM for much longer, it is conceivable that CM will get it.

i don't remember all the details, but recalled my expression at the time i read it that 'wow, that is quite state of the arts they are discussing', even today, san francisco and san jose in calif. still don't have them city-wide. SF is doing sth about though - for the entire city. san jose is talking about limited areas in the city.

I'm staying at a friend's house in Chiang Kham, and just today some techs arrived from TT&T to install MaxNet wireless DSL here. I'm using it as I write now, on my notebook, and it's getting speeds of 336kbps. He pays 1000B/month for the service.

Installation was quick and painless. Maybe wireless is the way to go. I have Ji-Net in Chiang Mai and am paying 1500B/month for 256k, usually get speeds of 200-220. Installation was a pain, too.

I'm staying at a friend's house in Chiang Kham, and just today some techs arrived from TT&T to install MaxNet wireless DSL here. I'm using it as I write now, on my notebook, and it's getting speeds of 336kbps. He pays 1000B/month for the service.

Installation was quick and painless. Maybe wireless is the way to go. I have Ji-Net in Chiang Mai and am paying 1500B/month for 256k, usually get speeds of 200-220. Installation was a pain, too.

The type of Wireless network I was referring to is a bit different. I gather your friend got a regular DSL connection installed, with a wireless router, so he'd be able to access his DSL connection from anywhere within the cover area of the WLAN..? Typically, such a home network covers about 40 meters in each direction - the most common WLAN standard is called 802.11b.

What I meant was WIMAX, a.k.a. 802.16, which is wireless networks encompassing entire areas, or an entire city. This is fairly recent technology, but has undergone extensive testing already, amongst other places in the Swedish city of Skellefteå, where the so called 'hot spots' installed cover 50 km x 50 km areas and where a single WIMAX base station can provide up to 70 Megabits per second.