Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend

gerry1011

For those interested...

The entrants of the first ever Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend will stop at the park of the Old Prison, Friday 11th, at about 1pm.

Cars include 1955 Fiat, 1966 Triumph Herald, 1929 Ford Model A, 1969 Rolls-Royce, Morgan, Chevy Monza, Datsun, Hilman Avenger, VW Microbus, ...

A nice mix coming from Chiangmai, Bangkok and Chiangrai. About 19 cars in total.

A 2pm the cars will leave Chiangrai and drive up north.

For those interested...

The entrants of the first ever Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend will stop at the park of the Old Prison, Friday 11th, at about 1pm.

Cars include 1955 Fiat, 1966 Triumph Herald, 1929 Ford Model A, 1969 Rolls-Royce, Morgan, Chevy Monza, Datsun, Hilman Avenger, VW Microbus, ...

A nice mix coming from Chiangmai, Bangkok and Chiangrai. About 19 cars in total.

Haha, I am looking forward to it!

Friday (the eleventh of the eleventh) history will be written in Chiang Rai.

:o One o'clock sharp I will be there, punctual as I always am ( :D ).

We are going to see cars from the episode in history when the traffic sounds in Chiang Rai mainly consisted of the ringing of 'samlor' bells.

From the episode when the smell of the traffic consisted of the smell of the droppings of the buffaloes pulling the carts.

Cars never been seen in Chiang Rai before; Cars never touching the roads of this newly awakened town.

I am really going to enjoy the looks and sounds of the vehicles, believe me!

Thanks Gerry, for making it possible :D

Limbo.

For those interested...

Haha, I am looking forward to it!

Friday (the eleventh of the eleventh) history will be written in Chiang Rai.

:o One o'clock sharp I will be there, punctual as I always am ( :D ).

We are going to see cars from the episode in history when the traffic sounds in Chiang Rai mainly consisted of the ringing of 'samlor' bells.

From the episode when the smell of the traffic consisted of the smell of the droppings of the buffaloes pulling the carts.

Cars never been seen in Chiang Rai before; Cars never touching the roads of this newly awakened town.

I am really going to enjoy the looks and sounds of the vehicles, believe me!

Thanks Gerry, for making it possible :D

Limbo.

Everything is possible in Chiangrai, you just have to make it happen.

You and I heard some people say: "don't even try to organize anything there, it won't work" (I guess you know who I mean :D )... Well, here is the result: 19 classic cars driving together for two days, two gala dinners, guests coming as far as from Singapore, ... Not too bad for Chiangrai uh?

Some other people asked us: " Why do you do it?"

The answer everytime was: "Because nobody did it yet in the north, so it is a nice challenge"...

Anyway, for those who do not come, the story will be in Bangkok Post and The Nation :D

See you on Friday Limbo :D

Yes, I had my car washed yesterday.

I apologize ...

As usual it was raining within an hour afterwards.

May I wish the participants from Chiang Mai of the first Classical Car Event in Chiang Rai Province a good ride anyhow!

Today 1 o'clock at the old prison, bring your umbrella and enjoy!

Limbo.

Just got a call from Mr. Harley.D.Franky.

He, living on a mountain, climbed his tower, studied the sky and came to the conclusion that we will keep it dry to day.

To be sure that it does or at least that yóu do, bring your umbrella anyhow.

Limbo.

The Classic Car Show was a greeeeeeaaaat success!!!

1969 Rolls-Royce arrived first at the old prison.

1929 Ford Model A arrived last, but with nearly 200 spectators looking.

There was a drum band, the mayor to greet us, ... just great !

The "gala diner" at Insii Thai House was just... magic.

For those who still missed it:

Today, Saturday:

10 to 12noon, The cars are all at Insii Thai House.

12noon, the cars depart to Chiangsaen.

1pm till about 2.30pm, the cars are at the Chiangsaen National Museum.

After that the cars will follow their way to the second "gala dinner".

Thanks Limbo for being there yesterday night :o

The second day of the event went perfect too.

The cars were exhibited at Insii Thai House in the morning for friends and guests to enjoy.

A noon sharp, the first car (1955 Fiat) left the house for Chiangsaen.

The cars were displayed at the National Museum for about an hour, with complementary lunch and visit of the museum done by the director.

The cars then followed to the Golden Triangle, Maesai and back to Chiangrai for the second gala dinner.

Food was great, athmosphere was great, animations were great, ... and mainly, the car classic owners were great.

Pictures will be on the Insii Thai House website in about a week.

Let's see if this first event will lead to the Chiangrai Classic Car Weekend Second Edition 2006...

Thank you Limbo, Jos, and everyone who supported this event.

Dear Gerry1011,

Did you also think about the aftercare an event like this requires?

Dutch Hans and I (together we are 130 years old) were talking about the cars we drove when we were in our twenties. Cars of the fifties which we drove in the sixties :D .

Ford Prefect, Volkswagen beetles, two-stroke Saab and DKW, Volvo PV and Amazone, Opel Record and Kadett, Mercedes 190D, Morris 1100 and all the other ones which time erased from our memories.

We didn't know that we have been driving around in so many classic cars.

We just considered them old at the time and this was reflected in the price as well.

We got very confused and started to feel like classics ourselves. Getting seriously depressed that means.

Do you have some of these great Ovidius bonbons left?

Limbo :o

PS. Interested in a Fiat 'pantoffel' of around 1948? A tiny cabriolet, now housing a cat? It's here in town. Or an MG sportscar (no, not the one in Maechan)?

Win has an old Mercedes sportscar, Bill an old beetle, Khun Wanchai and the policeman of Ban Huay Sak an early Corolla. And I am sure that the president of the Rotary of Chiang Rai can cough up an old Ford. She didn't have enough time now.

As you said: We should think about a follow-up!

A silent question: WHERE DID THE RENAULT QUATTRE GO, WHICH HAS BEEN PARKED FOR MANY YEARS IN FRONT OF THE CONDOTEL???

On saturday i was surprised that two people set up an event like this.The classic cars were extraordinary and the area(Insii Thai house) is one of the most beautiful spots in the north of Thailand.Thank you Count Gerald van der Straten Phontos and Khun Weerapong Boonkling for your kind hospitality.I look forward for your next event.

Regards, Jozef

• 1 month later...
PS. Interested in a Fiat 'pantoffel' of around 1948? A tiny cabriolet, now housing a cat? It's here in town. Or an MG sportscar (no, not the one in Maechan)?

I am very interested in the Fiat and/or an MG and would drive from Chiang Mai to look at a wreck with wheels!

I had a splendid time on the Classic Car weekend- but now I need a Classic Car, rather than a rental Toyota!

As a result of the Chiang Rai weekend, an informal gathering called "Classic Cars of Lanna" has met twice in Chiang Mai and seems to be gathering some steam!

Cheers,

Danjite

I am very interested in the Fiat and/or an MG and would drive from Chiang Mai to look at a wreck with wheels!

As a result of the Chiang Rai weekend, an informal gathering called "Classic Cars of Lanna" has met twice in Chiang Mai and seems to be gathering some steam!

Cheers,

Danjite

Concerning the Fiat: I had to swear to two Australian friends ('mates') that I am not going to tell anybody where it is located. They are going for it!

The MG at the Esso gasoline station in Maechan is very incomplete. Toyota engine, wheels gone etc. etc.

There is another one somebody is working at somewhere and I only know vaguely where to look. I saw it once, bicycling around in Chiang Rai east part, little bit outside town.

Coming back from Mae Sai after maybe 5 kilometers on the left, about three hundred meters from the road is a place where they have old-timers as well. Some French, some British. Probably from Burma.

Nice to hear that the 'Classic Car Weekend of Chiang Rai' might have some following upp.

Limbo.

Well, if the Aussies don't get there before rainy season, please let me know!

As for follow up, as a result of the Chiang Rai weekend, we had 13 cars turn out for the Chiang Mai Mardi-Gras Parade- which was last weekend as nothing on the town calendar is available near Chinese New Year!

We are now having meetings at The Gymkhana Club on first and third Thursday evenings and even had a guest speaker this week- an expert on classic Bentleys.

Thanks again to Gerry and all who sowed the seeds!

-D

Concerning the Fiat: I had to swear to two Australian friends ('mates') that I am not going to tell anybody where it is located. They are going for it!

The MG at the Esso gasoline station in Maechan is very incomplete. Toyota engine, wheels gone etc. etc.

There is another one somebody is working at somewhere and I only know vaguely where to look. I saw it once, bicycling around in Chiang Rai east part, little bit outside town.

Coming back from Mae Sai after maybe 5 kilometers on the left, about three hundred meters from the road is a place where they have old-timers as well. Some French, some British. Probably from Burma.

Nice to hear that the 'Classic Car Weekend of Chiang Rai' might have some following upp.

Limbo.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Alas, 300kB for a little mouse is a wee bit... ambitious.

Thanks for keeping eyes open!

Incredible co-incidence Limbo.

I know a family in Phrae that owns a 1947 Fiat Topolino and an early 1950s MG sportscar.

Last time I spoke to the owner she was thinking of selling the Fiat but I thought her value of 300k was a bit steep.