Able To Teach English With No Teaching Quals?.

xylophone

"when you yourself admit you've never taught"

Whoa there big fella

I have never made that claim and it is false, I have taught many many different types of courses, mostly at universities and have even done a wee bit of English teaching.

"I know what I'm talking about, you don't...."

Good arguement, still didn't answer my question about backing up your statement that an English teacher can actually do harm to a student.

Just one little example where an inexerienced English teacher ruined the life of a student

Actually, I do do research, although not directly in the field of language learning.

So there.

The word is spelt ARGUMENT

So there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbie.

Your question deserves a good answer.

Not everyone is cut out to be a teacher. That however does not imply you are not cut out to be a teacher. You may end up as Thailand's Number 1 teacher. What YOU have to realise is whether or not teaching is for you.

Can you remain 'stiff upper-lipped' when the going gets tough? Can you 'delve' into the minds of these kids and find ways of communicating with the 'need to learn', the 'want to learn' aspects of them all? Can you analyse the individual and determin how he or she (the learner) learns best? Can you fulfil these requirements and many more?

If your answer is yes to all, go get TESOL trained for a few thousand baht. Take up extra training for a couple of months as a teachers assistant to make sure you really, really want to do this.

Then, ask the questions again. Still yes? Go for it. The world needs teachers with POSITIVE ATTITUDE !

Just remember to start small and don't run before you can lightly trot. Every class is different and will respond differently. Take it all 1 step at a time.

Remember this. English isn't just nouns, verbs and adjectives. Think about the whole picture and you'll see the depth and scope of the language to be taught. Just because we are native speakers of English does not automatically make us the best people to teach it.

I wish you luck mate.

Ps. Ref: Tesol Training.

If you go for TESOL training, make sure it is supported by an international organisation such as Global Tesol Canada or something. Check it out properly.

Bert's Farrang Tesol Training Joint ain't gonna swing it mate. Fake certs ain't gonna do it eiva!

Edited by mr-chris

• 2 weeks later...
If you teach them something wrong, it can take ages (if ever) to correct the mistake.

:o Reminds me of that Robin Williams routine where he talks about screwing around with his kids by pointing at a "PENCIL" and saying "Bananna". :D

Ps. Ref: Tesol Training.

If you go for TESOL training, make sure it is supported by an international organisation such as Global Tesol Canada or something. Check it out properly.

Bert's Farrang Tesol Training Joint ain't gonna swing it mate. Fake certs ain't gonna do it eiva!

Actually I think I've only ever heard terrible things about Global mate :o

This issue is a dead horse that's been beaten many times on this forum.  Do a search or look down a page or so and you're bound to find another long debate on it.  I'm not getting into it again here myself.

Fair enough.

Don't dismiss new users so readily.

Take note that every day on the WWW there are more new users.

Yes, I'm aware of what new users are (there's a clue in the name), and again how is telling them to look elsewhere as it's already been answered being dismissive???

Some new users will ask questions that haven't been answered here though, those will be answered freshly.

kenkannif

Most students in universities in the US, UK, or Australia have teachers with zero formal education in teaching, but they have some great teachers.

That's not completely true. In USA, You are not permitted to teach in public school without being certified and recognized by the states; regardless, if its elementary education or not. In order for you to achieve this, you must be willing to teach as teachers-aid for 4 months without pay. You may be a temporary substitute teacher but you must follow the sylabus developed be the staff.

kenkannif

Most students in universities in the US, UK, or Australia have teachers with zero formal education in teaching, but they have some great teachers.

That's not completely true. In USA, You are not permitted to teach in public school without being certified and recognized by the states; regardless, if its elementary education or not. In order for you to achieve this, you must be willing to teach as teachers-aid for 4 months without pay. You may be a temporary substitute teacher but you must follow the sylabus developed be the staff.

LOL, I thinks hes talking about the fact that a PHD in Physics will teach a physics class.

Teaching/Lecturing a Graduate student is a lot different than teaching 3rd grade for 8 hours a day.

"Apples and Oranges".

I think KK has Degree envy.

That being said I agree with most of what he says, but that doesnt mean he has to be so bitter and insecure about it.

Edited by Baal

kenkannif

"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is no problem with that! - everyone suffers from a degree (of) envy sometime in their life but not everyone suffers from "envy (of) (a) degree" that is limited to some pretentious wannabees.

(of) & (a) used for clarity.

Edited by mijan24

kenkannif

LOL, I thinks hes talking about the fact that a PHD in Physics will teach a physics class.

Teaching/Lecturing a Graduate student is a lot different than teaching 3rd grade for 8 hours a day.

"Apples and Oranges".

I don't think I wrote either of those quotes did I?

Envious of something I have??? Lost me there mate.

That being said I agree with most of what he says, but that doesnt mean he has to be so bitter and insecure about it.

About what? Again you've lost me?

kenkannif

"Apples and Oranges".

I don't think I wrote either of those quotes did I?

Envious of something I have??? Lost me there mate.

About what? Again you've lost me?

OK, I read it wrong, my bad. Insert other dudes name for KK's

Appreciated Baal.

I'm noy really envious of anyone or anything....my life is okay.

No problem, It was my fault, I wasn’t paying attention to the format so I thought he was quoting you.

It just seems like I see this subject all the time, over and over again, it all becomes a blur.

Again I apologize for "snappin".

Maybe I'm repeating many of our comments on this subject, but even in a perfect situation, it's not easy teaching English in Thailand. If you have a fully proper education degree from a fully proper university, and work at a fully proper international school, making 100,000 baht every month plus health coverage and pension, to bright classes of only 25 decently behaved students, and the admin office takes care of all your paperwork, you're okay. STILL, you're no better off than if you had stayed at home!

It gets progressively worse when these factors are present:

A. You don't have a university degree.

B. You have no teaching credentials.

C. Your employer doesn't help with work permit or visa.

D. You teach ten classes of 50 students each, who don't like to learn English.

E. No air conditioning, old blackboards, no chalk, no public address system, the photocopier doesn't work, and the computers are era 1996.

Still, it can be fun. Not professional, not remunerative, but sanuk.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to join kk and steve's bandwagon and let Mr. Phil have it for even thinking about teaching basic English in Thailand without going to a western recognized Teacher school...

Then LP made me think about myself...<deleted>, I came here four years ago started teaching (for a salary half the minimum wage in my own country....) without any formal teaching training.

I can definately say that I'm a better teacher now...Good thing I didn't post my initial uncertainties on this forum...I probably would have been made feel inferior with such proposterous amitions.... :o