All-New 2011 Isuzu D-Max

MoonRiverOasis

The new 2011 D-Max had it's media launch earlier this week..

2011dmax4door.jpg

2011dmaxlowermodels.jpg

This is the all-new model (RT-50), based on the co-developed Chev Colorado (GMI-700) platform. Changes from the Colorado include different front and rear styling, different drivetrains, and some minor changes to the interior - different center dash stack, dials, and colors/trims.

Drivetrains are based on the previous model units, but feature an upgraded commonrail system, new injectors, impoved EGR system, revised valve stems and rocker arms, and upgraded VG Turbos and intercoolers. The timing chain remains...

Three engine variants will be available:

Ddi 2.5L Turbo - 116HP/280Nm

Ddi 2.5L VGS Turbo - 136HP/ 320Nm

Ddi 3.0L VGS Turbo - 177HP/380Nm

Two transmissions will be available - a 5MT and a 5AT.

The top-spec 4x4 models are now called "V-Cross", and feature traction control, stability control, 4-channel ABS with larger 300mm discs up front, 2 Airbags, leather interior and an 8-speaker touchscreen bluetooth sound system with front and rear cameras.

The 4x4 system appears to follow the same cost-cutting route as the engines, and offers 3 modes: 2H, 4H and 4L - 2H and 4H can be switched at speeds up to 100km/hr, but moving to 4L requires a complete stop.

Pricing:

2-door Spark: 465K-535K

2-door Spacecab: 562K-671K

4-door Cab4: 635K - 707K

2-door Hi-Lander: 658K-778K

4-door Hi-Lander: 738K - 922K

2-door V-Cross (4x4): 732K - 813K

4-door V-Cross (4x4): 808K - 994K

Full public release is scheduled for October 14th.

It looks pretty good. The spec kicks the Toyota Chump in the rump. It will be interesting to see how the price for the top model (998K THB) compares to the top model Chevrolet with the more powerful engine. It seems to answer a lot of the weaknesses of the existing model such as brakes, size and the 4 speed auto. I've just got to ask myself is 177 Bhp enough or do I need 200Bhp?

again.. an all new pick-up that at a certain angles can be mistaken as a 7 year old hilux.. heheh.. it would be really interesting what toyota comes up with.. from my point of view.. all toyota has to do is change the internals and there you go back up again with the competition..

>again.. an all new pick-up that at a certain angles can be mistaken as a 7 year old hilux.. heheh.. it would be really interesting what toyota comes up with.. from my point of view.. all toyota has to do is change the internals and there you go back up again with the competition..

IMHO, it looks much more like a Tata Xenon with those big flared wheel arches than it does a Hilux.. You really do need to see it in the flesh to be fair - it's much bigger than a Hilux, and has much better "presence" because of it - the photos don't show that aspect very well..

As for Hilux just dumping in some new engines and gearboxes - they'll need to do a little more than that. These new gen trucks have much stiffer chassis (better handling), longer wheelbase (more comfort), better rear leaf spring setups (can actually be called "comfortable" w/out a load in the back), better NVH, and higher equipment levels.

The achilles heel of the D-Max is going to be those dated engines - the 5AT and the sharp pricing are big plusses though.

Toyota's will still always sell well, but they will certainly lose market share to these new models (Ranger, Bt-50, D-Max, and Colorado) until the IMV2 Hilux comes in 2014.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

>again.. an all new pick-up that at a certain angles can be mistaken as a 7 year old hilux.. heheh.. it would be really interesting what toyota comes up with.. from my point of view.. all toyota has to do is change the internals and there you go back up again with the competition..

IMHO, it looks much more like a Tata Xenon with those big flared wheel arches than it does a Hilux.. You really do need to see it in the flesh to be fair - it's much bigger than a Hilux, and has much better "presence" because of it - the photos don't show that aspect very well..

As for Hilux just dumping in some new engines and gearboxes - they'll need to do a little more than that. These new gen trucks have much stiffer chassis (better handling), longer wheelbase (more comfort), better rear leaf spring setups (can actually be called "comfortable" w/out a load in the back), better NVH, and higher equipment levels.

The achilles heel of the D-Max is going to be those dated engines - the 5AT and the sharp pricing are big plusses though.

Toyota's will still always sell well, but they will certainly lose market share to these new models (Ranger, Bt-50, D-Max, and Colorado) until the IMV2 Hilux comes in 2014.

Looks great, and spec finally on par with existing competition, even brakes. Thai market in general will prefere a dated 3,0 Izu over a modern 2,8Chev or Ford 3,2, as they will with Vigos dated 3,0

Do you know if the 5 speed auto is the Aisin limited to 350Nm?

Looks great, and spec finally on par with existing competition, even brakes. Thai market in general will prefere a dated 3,0 Izu over a modern 2,8Chev or Ford 3,2, as they will with Vigos dated 3,0

Do you know if the 5 speed auto is the Aisin limited to 350Nm?

Yep, and you'll notice that the base 2.5L (non-VGS) engine is untouched as well. For fleet buyers, Isuzu delivers exactly what they all want - proven drivetrains, sharp looks, roomier cabins, bigger payloads, improved comfort and safety, a huge dealer network and keen pricing. They'll definitely put a big dent in Toyota's fleet sales with this model (just as they did with the original D-Max when it had a 2-year lead over the Vigo), which alone will quickly swing the market share balance back to Isuzu.

Not sure on the gearbox, but there's no mention of less torque for the 3.0L AT variant in the pre-release docs.

Speaking of brakes, the 4x4 models have dual-sensor ABS, and all models are 4-channel ABS.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

i guess your right.. but from what my eyes tells me.. the black Dmax on the picture, certainly has the hilux curves.. i am not pro hilux,, now with this new Dmax that is apparently biggier i would definitely choose it over the hilux.. for me what the hilux had goin was its size.. the question that i really want answered though.. is that why did it take so long for the other pick up manufacturers to come up with a new pick up that has a very similar outline to the hilux? was the hilux that far ahead in its design? and as i mentioned .. i dont think it will take much to improve the hilux design to get it back on par with the new pickups.. making the chassis stronger would be easy.. as the hilux chassis and body are 2 piece.. add a few safety upgrades its a done deal..

I hope it is not as big as the Hilux . The Hilux is very big inside and outside , which can be nice if you need the space . The old D-Max had a nice size to it , not overwhelming big , and neither small also . Any info about it size ?

I hope it is not as big as the Hilux . The Hilux is very big inside and outside , which can be nice if you need the space . The old D-Max had a nice size to it , not overwhelming big , and neither small also . Any info about it size ?

It's bigger.

New D-max 4x4 4-door is 5190mm (L) x 1860mm (W) x 1850mm (H)

Vigo Champ 4x4 4-door is 5135mm (L) x 1760mm (W) x 1860mm (H)

Old D-Max 4x4 4-door was 4925mm (L) x 1800mm (W) x 1760mm (H)

It's bigger.

wow, 10cm/4 inches wider than Vigo

It's bigger.

Lots of stripes (but the wrong type) ahead for some current D Max owners when they upgrade then, mental note must give new D Max wide berth, they may not :( .

It's bigger.

And the new Ranger is 21cm longer than the Vigo and only 10mm narrower than the D-Max. The Vigo is going look comparatively small, compared with these new models eh?

can someone post the inside dimensions of the pick ups available.. i think this is the most important.. after all a thicker fender would make a few inches significant to make a car wider..and a bumper would also make it longer..

can someone post the inside dimensions of the pick ups available.. i think this is the most important.. after all a thicker fender would make a few inches significant to make a car wider..and a bumper would also make it longer..

Inside dimensions are mainly useless, as only ever the widest point is specified and that does not normally correlate to actual spaciousness - that's a function of design. If your question is: "is the new D-max bigger inside than a VIGO?", the answer is a definite yes... but the T6 Ranger is bigger again.

And yes, outside dimensions posted previously do not include the rear bumper.

For those who are interested, here's the tray dimensions:

2011 D-Max:

Extra Cab Tray: 1795mm (L) x 1530mm (W) x 465mm (H)

Double Cab Tray: 1485mm (L) x 1530mm (W) x 465mm (H)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It's bigger.

And the new Ranger is 21cm longer than the Vigo and only 10mm narrower than the D-Max. The Vigo is going look comparatively small, compared with these new models eh?

Yes, it does. The Isuzu is wider, but the higher hood design and deeper tray helps it look even bigger, visually.

The T6 Ranger makes the Hilux look like almost like a Nissan NV/Wingroad when they're side-by-side ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It's bigger.

Lots of stripes (but the wrong type) ahead for some current D Max owners when they upgrade then, mental note must give new D Max wide berth, they may not :( .

one thing I will miss from vigo/fortuna is the plastic wheel arches. they come at a cost, compared to the new designs with all steel fenders, but any motocy scratch, toyota garage takes them off, plaster, spray and install again. hazzlfree and no need to leave car in garage

1 Mil: Bt and no Cruise Control. The same price Toyota chump has it.

No Cruise even in the top model is that possible?

Seems they are saving all the good stuff for the Chev. with it's lower sales numbers, less dealers to provide service, less parts on grey market then the Isuzu and a lower resale value..bah.gif

Full price list..

• Spark 2.5L 116PS/280Nm B 5MT RWD 512000
  • Spark 2.5L 116PS/280Nm S 5MT RWD 517000
  • Spacecab 2.5L 116PS/280Nm S 5MT RWD 566000
  • Spacecab 2.5L 116PS/280Nm L 5MT RWD 630000
  • Spacecab 2.5L 116PS/280Nm Z 5MT RWD 660000
  • Spacecab 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z 5MT RWD 675000
  • Spacecab Highlander 2.5L 116PS/280Nm L 5MT RWD 662000
  • Spacecab Highlander 2.5L 116PS/280Nm Z 5MT RWD 692000
  • Spacecab Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z 5MT RWD 707000
  • Spacecab Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z DVD 5MT RWD 722000
  • Spacecab Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5AT RWD 782000
  • Spacecab Highlander 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5MT RWD 782000
  • Spacecab V-Cross 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z 5MT 4WD 736000
  • Spacecab V-Cross 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5MT 4WD 817000
  • Cab4 2.5L 116PS/280Nm S 5MT RWD 639000
  • Cab4 2.5L 116PS/280Nm L 5MT RWD 711000
  • Cab4 Highlander 2.5L 116PS/280Nm L 5MT RWD 742000
  • Cab4 Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z 5MT RWD 787000
  • Cab4 Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z DVD 5MT RWD 812000
  • Cab4 Highlander 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5AT RWD 873000
  • Cab4 Highlander 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5MT RWD 874000
  • Cab4 Highlander 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5AT RWD 919000
  • Cab4 Vcross 2.5L VGS 136PS/320Nm L 5MT 4WD 812000
  • Cab4 Vcross 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5MT 4WD 946000
  • Cab4 Vcross 3.0L VGS 177PS/380Nm Z-Prestige Navi 5AT 4WD 991000

+7,000 Baht for white pearl paint on Cab4 Models

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

again.. an all new pick-up that at a certain angles can be mistaken as a 7 year old hilux.. heheh.. it would be really interesting what toyota comes up with.. from my point of view.. all toyota has to do is change the internals and there you go back up again with the competition..

Must agree. And ALL new trucks have a Toyota look somewhere. Well it is the competition it must beat eh. :)

Must agree. And ALL new trucks have a Toyota look somewhere. Well it is the competition it must beat eh. :)

first time i saw the Vigo, must have been september/october 2004, at distance I was doing 120 on the Highway, I thought it was a facelifted Ford 150.

Vigo/Fortuner doors could have been taken straight off 1998 Dodge Durango/Dakota, and Fortuners rear pillar is straight off Benz M.

They all copy each other. Except Dodge Ram, having a unique design

They all copy each other. Except Dodge Ram, having a unique design

and the Mitsubishi Triton/PJS - no-one could claim they arent' completely unique..

while its possible to get used to the looks af PJS, at least front and sides, and even the rear with 80% black film, I still have a hard time with Triton. Unique they are :)

New 2+2 door displayed at Central Phuket today. Being at Central indicates they are going upmarket. and yes they are. Top model navi in white pearl is 1.020.000 baht, so going white means you dont care about the 100.000 baht excicetax scheme. Clever B)

non white is 995.000 baht

and the old 2,5 is still 116hp :blink:

now Ford can legimitaley price their high spec 3,2 wildtrack ;)