Binge Drinking - Out Of Control

mooro_uk

I am now completely at my wits end at how I can stop my binge drinking. It is effecting my life very seriously now. To give you an idea, basically, my social circle tends to go out drinking at the weekends, I am always the last one standing and continue drinking alone long after my friends have gone home. I have been arrested and spent a night in the cells here, got into fights, had blackouts of more than 6hours, had large amounts of cash stolen, these are just some of the things that have happened to me in the last 6 months in Thailand whilst being drunk. I am not normally a violent person, but drinking seems to bring out the worst in me on most occasions. I can go days or even weeks with no drink, but once I have one drink, I want one more and more...

I am now seriously considering going to AA to get some help. Ive tried taking medication that makes you feel sick when drinking, but I just stopped taking it when the urge to drink became too strong. Ive heard varying reports about AA, regarding the friendliness, helpfulness of their meetings so I am a little apprehensive. I just want to get my life back so any help would be immensely appreciated.

You can probably spare a couple of hours to find out for yourself about AA.

There's no 'signing up', no compulsion. You only have to endure their company for an hour, and then, if you decide its not for you, then you need never see them again.

Before I went to my first AA meeting, I only knew two things about AA:

It was about abstinence, not moderation ("If you want to drink, that's your business. If you don't, we're here to help").

There were at least some members who were good fun to be with - a chap used to come into our local on his way to meetings for a coke, coffee, and a couple of big cigars. He was the life and soul of the party. And never tried to stop anyone drinking, or making a fool of themselves

SC

There are many people on this board who stopped drinking with the help of AA, and there are also some who feel AA is not/was not for them. A few tips based on my observation of what seems to make a difference::

1. If you are lucky enough to live in or near a place with multiple AA meetings, then shop around -- meetings do vary according to membership and you may find some a better fit for you than others.

2. Regardless, do not make the mistake of confusing the program with the fellowship. There is great value to the fellowship (and at times, there can be some annoyances with it too) but the program is the steps, and unless you work them, you haven't tried or experienced the program.

3. Don't get hung up on the God issue. Don't let anyone tell that a Higher Power has to mean X, Y or Z. There are myriad understandings of it. If you find it useful to hear other people talk about their understanding or experience of a Higher Power, fine, but don't let it worry you if what they describe is for any reason unacceptable to you. You are perfectly free to find your own way of understanding it and it absolutely does not need to accord with any religion. There are some people in AA who relate to the higher power concept in a religious way, and that's fine for them, but you don't have to.

4. Related to the above, of all the slogans you'll hear, probably the most important in terms of benefitting from a twelve step program is "Take what you like and leave the rest".

In addition to AA, other options that are out there include:

Wat Thamkrabok (also free) http://www.thamkrabok.net/index.html

New Life Foundation - in Chiang mai, residential program with a Buddhist approach (but open to non-Buddhists) , mix of (I think) meditation & CBT - low cost. http://www.newlifeth...ion-process.php

A number of private rehab facilities such as The Cabin, Breathing Space, Dara (formerly Channah) etc - residential programs at private rates.

http://www.thecabinchiangmai.com/

http://breathingspacethailand.com/

http://alcoholrehab.com/

Siam-rehab is likewise a private residential program, I think may cost a bit less than the others. http://siam-rehab.com/location.html

I also know of a very affordable residential program in the Philippines which is 12 step based, my nephew went there with excellent results. Even with the airfare, still quite affordable http://www.wedorecov...id=46&Itemid=54

These various options are in no way mutually exclusive.

You can probably spare a couple of hours to find out for yourself about AA.

There's no 'signing up', no compulsion. You only have to endure their company for an hour, and then, if you decide its not for you, then you need never see them again.

Before I went to my first AA meeting, I only knew two things about AA:

It was about abstinence, not moderation ("If you want to drink, that's your business. If you don't, we're here to help").

There were at least some members who were good fun to be with - a chap used to come into our local on his way to meetings for a coke, coffee, and a couple of big cigars. He was the life and soul of the party. And never tried to stop anyone drinking, or making a fool of themselves

SC

Op,

It might help if you let us know what area of Thailand you are in, as there might be some people who know some good meetings in your area. The Thailand AA website is pretty good so I also suggest taking a look at that as well. SC is right about not having to go back to a meeting if you don't like it, and you can always try out different meetings in your area until you find some that suit you. That is what I did when I first got into AA. I have been to meetings in Europe and in many cities in the USA and although I might not have liked a specific meeting, I never felt unwelcome. Just make sure that when they ask if it's anyone's first time at AA or at that specific meeting that you introduce yourself. There is also a lot of stuff online about what to expect when attending your first AA meeting.

Good luck to you!

Hi guys, thanks very much for your replies and information. Since posting this morning I have found out about meetings of AA from the aaThailand organisation. I should have said I am based in Bkk, which is good in the fact that there are quite a few different meeting times and venues. Abstinence is what I am seeking as drinking in moderation just isn't usually possible for me.

Anyway, thanks once again for all your help and support, tomorrow I will give my first AA meeting a try.

Hi guys, thanks very much for your replies and information. Since posting this morning I have found out about meetings of AA from the aaThailand organisation. I should have said I am based in Bkk, which is good in the fact that there are quite a few different meeting times and venues. Abstinence is what I am seeking as drinking in moderation just isn't usually possible for me.

Anyway, thanks once again for all your help and support, tomorrow I will give my first AA meeting a try.

I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world. Life is much better when you are sober.