New Look For Emporium's Food Section

george

New look for Emporium's food section

BANGKOK: -- The Emporium department store has spent over 100 million baht revamping its food section. Luckana Naviroj, the department store's executive director, said the gourmet market and food hall had been increased in size by 30% to 7,000 square metres from 5,300.

The mall has also added a new food court, featuring 13 leading restaurants. The new food court will be launched on Nov 18.

The gourmet market has also been expanded to 2,000 square metres from 1,500.

--Bangkok Post 2005-11-10

expect a new look to the already high prices there too.

Try the brand new Deli in the new 'BIG C' on Ekamai, I was totally impressed and leaves the others for dead in freshness, price, quality etc .. well done BIG C

Thanks to rug rats for wanting to see all the baloons, as I know where I will be doing my deli shopping now.

I usually avoid the EmBorium, just not my scene- Crazy prices, Hi So posuers, metrosexual types, khunying wannabes with their maids in tow, mia nois and ex model/singer/actors/actresses out looking to regain a bit of faded fame from being seen at the scene :o

BUT after going to check it out tonight, I have to admit, this new foodcourt is absolutely worth a visit. You can choose between some top nosh establishments at less than their actual restaurant prices and what a fantastic selection.

There's everything from Hazzara (indian extrodinaire) to Lebanese, to a mini Tony Romas (even a fish n chip place as well). Prices seem reasonable if not cheaper than the actual restaurants eg: Tony Romas- half slab of Carolina honey baby back ribs with a hot wings combo, choice of sides (coleslaw, baked beans etc), 199 baht.

Every table has linen placemats, silverware and a sight for sore eyes, pepper mills!!! Nice lay out, nice atmosphere, not like a traditional foodcourt at all. You order your food, sit down and a 'server' takes your receipt and brings your order when it's ready.

A bit of caution- they give you an electronic swipe card upon entry, which each 'kiosk' restaurant swipes as you order and you pay out as you leave at the cashiers. If you lose the card, the sign says you'll have to pay 3000 baht.

Anyways, thumbs up all around and well worth a visit :D

edit/several sp's...tiired :D

Edited by baht&sold

i am a big fan of the emporium , its not too far from where i live , i like the bookshop , the electronics shops on the top floor and the cd place there especially.

its a good place to mooch around for a couple of hours.

there is also a more than acceptable flunkey to customer ratio.

and after spending most of the day surrounded by the salt of the earth, the honest poor , the downtrodden , the leprous , the lo so and the put upon on the streets of bangkok , its good to float around amongst the hi so and the poseurs in the emporium for a while. it balances things out.

i will try the new food court though , and bugger the expense. it sound like pepper mill heaven.

but not tony romas and his revolting racks of ribs.

Yeah Emporium is full of posers. But actually prices at the Emporium Department Store are decent. I was quite surprised because after numerous comparisons I discovered they are marginally cheaper than Robinsons. Who would have thought.

Hmm, racks of ribs... That is one reason I usually walk down to Villa from the sky train rather than going into the Emporium Market. Villa has prepared bbq ribs that are done perfectly; the meat just falls off the bone and lots of sauce. Being open 24/7 is also a big plus for Villa but I'll have to check out the new and improved Emporium Market; sounds promising.

Wish there was a deli in Bangkok that has genoa salami and chicken/turkey slices (not processed bologna)! A few years ago Emporium carried genoa salami but I have not seen it anywhere for years. Only place I have found with turkey slices is foodland in patpong so far.

IF I remember correctly: I got a Salame Genovese at Carrefour LadPhrao early march this year....but maybe it's just been a short (very short)-time promotion...?

I happened to be in Central Chidlom recently and wandered into the Supermarket there.

They have a “Western Deli”, as they call it, and I was quite impressed by the selection of Cheeses and Charcuterie etc. – may be worth a visit.

Patrick