3G Coverage In North East

Nord68

I can see that many shops advertising for 3G in and around Khon Kaen and my telephone also tell me that I recieve a 3G or 3.5G signal when I stay in city center but the connectivity is worse than Edge. I guess that all this advertising is only to sell more 3G phones and some people is misled to believe that Thailand have build out a 3G network all over the country as it is been done in Europe, but fact is that it is only part of Bangkok, Chonburi,Phuket and maybe Chang Mai who have 3G coverage. A older friend of me bought a AIS 3G usb card with monthly subscription, wireless router with usb connection and antenna for 16 000 bath. I told him later that there is no 3G coverage where he is living but he can recieve a Edge signal. I would like to recommend a wireless 3G router Netcomm Turbo 7,for about 3700 bath for people who lives in rural areas with limited coverage, it have a great recieving capacity and is easy to use (insert SIM card and start use), had mine for 6 months and I`m satisfied so far. I used a Globesurfer before and it was also great but was very advanced and didnt last so long because of all our breaks in electrical supply and it need also to be connected to a UPS power supplyer. With Netcomm T 7 with SIM from Dtac I recieve a speed up to 350 kbit/sec and under normal conditions avarage speed as 180 kbit/sec. Because of my location (very rural),I would never be able to connect to a fixed line and must be very patient and wait till the respective companies start to build out 3G network.

Would like to suggest this two web sites http://www.totalaircard.com/ and http://www.aircardshop.com/

I

I tried Edge about 1.5 years ago. Okay but expensive. I have now had CAT EDVO for over 1 year. OK most of the time .. some slow times. But would like a cost effective faster option .. 30 km south of Korat.

How is Edge expensive ?? Its slow at best but hardly expensive ??

I tried Edge about 1.5 years ago. Okay but expensive. I have now had CAT EDVO for over 1 year. OK most of the time .. some slow times. But would like a cost effective faster option .. 30 km south of Korat.

Was alternating between my AIS mobile sim and GF's prepay DTAC sim. Maybe because of location (traveling with notebook). But we went through about Bt 2,000 in less than 1 month.

To me, that's expensive. CAT CDMA costs me less than Bt 700/mo.

Now, do you have any feedback on 3G or are you just picking a nit?

Sounds like you didn't register an edge/gprs account with either Dtac or AIS.

I pay 100 baht for 30 hours on AIS. That means that if you had registered with AIS and spent 2000 baht in a month you were on the net for 20 hours a day.

Looks like you were on the unregistered 1 baht per minute rate.

Sorry to nit pick.

Was alternating between my AIS mobile sim and GF's prepay DTAC sim. Maybe because of location (traveling with notebook). But we went through about Bt 2,000 in less than 1 month.

To me, that's expensive. CAT CDMA costs me less than Bt 700/mo.

Now, do you have any feedback on 3G or are you just picking a nit?

Whats a nit ??

Impossible to go through 2000 baht in a month on Dtac or Ais or BOTH when on an unlimited package on both for Edge would have been around 1500 baht ??

Edited-are you just connecting with a sim and dongle with no package ??

Edited by Chivas

As I said in post #4

Was alternating between my AIS mobile sim and GF's prepay DTAC sim.

and

CAT CDMA costs me less than Bt 700/mo.

And that is unlimited usage with better speeds that Edge.

But the topic is about True 3g -- and my question was about True 3g coverage around Korat.

2000 baht in a month?

when I was there earlier this year, i just got sorted out with an unlimited on 1-2-call for about 900 baht.

that was for unlimited data for a month, did it all over the internet, although some of the shops will sort it for you when you buy a sim card (a friend did this when he bought his sim in the airport)

but just like everywhere else in the world, if you don't specifically get a data pack you will get charged at a rediculously high price.

Edited by johnnyj

Nord68

Excellent info and links - thanks for a very useful post

No problem, it`s nice to share information, here some price for GPRS EDGE connections http://www.happy.co....mid=368〈=en

http://www.truemove....prs-package.htm and http://www.ais.co.th...ternet-package/

I prefer Dtac over AIS because they have less users and then give a good avarage connection speed but I have no experience with True Move

2000 baht in a month?

when I was there earlier this year, i just got sorted out with an unlimited on 1-2-call for about 900 baht.

that was for unlimited data for a month, did it all over the internet, although some of the shops will sort it for you when you buy a sim card (a friend did this when he bought his sim in the airport)

but just like everywhere else in the world, if you don't specifically get a data pack you will get charged at a rediculously high price.

johnnyj, don't you think that horse should be able to RIP?

Re: 3g from DTAC

Regarding to your inquiry about coverage area of 3G service, please be informed that we do not support this service

in Korat at the moment. We have already taken this matter seriously in order to fulfil customers' satisfaction. Please wait for

further news or announcement from our company regarding to this issue. However, you will be able to use 3G service in

coverage as below;

- Most area in Bangkok except Kannayao district, Klongsamva district, Meenburi district, Saimai district, Nongjok district,

Bangkuntian district, Bangbon district and Nongkam district.

- Most area in Nontaburi province except Sainoi district.

- Samutprakan province available at Bangplee district, Muang district and Prapradang district.