A Photo Of Which I Am Proud

angiud

Thanks everybody! The backstage, a 60 minutes trek around a waterfall, Canon 7D with Sigma 150mm Macro and camera flash, handheld, around 50 shots to the mating butterflies sometimes flying together, 3 or 4 very good shots. (butterfly size around 1 cm each)

Here one more:

6215796727_1587637b7d.jpg

2 Indian Cupid mating

Edited by angiud
  • Like 1

You have every right to be proud. I have never seen so many beautiful photos of butterflies and other insects than yours that you have posted here in Thaivisa.

I have tried taking photos of butterflies but they are gone before I had even started the camera.

:DB):D

Yes, the main problem with the butterflies is to come close enough to get a decent picture. One must be patient and what you can get is one don't fly away every 10/15. I use military techniques :blink::lol:, such as come slowly closer closer to the animal crawling on the ground, dressing camouflage clothes (and believe me, at 55 is not so easy crawl and not so nice go around dressed like a hunter or a survivalist <_<.

And a macro lens 150 mm (that in my camera is equivalent to over 200 mm lens) allows you to stay not too close to the animal (25-40 cm).

Same day in Samanora waterfalls - South Koh Phangan:

6214445252_6990187c27.jpg

The Malayan Sunbeam

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great shots! Butterflies never easy to get....

A photographer friend of mine gave me one of his tips of the trade & takes along a small squeeze container of honey... & drips just a very little and waits.... for such shots... He's managed some amazing images...

It attracts them and gets them to "sit and stay" a little longer :D

Just make sure the honey container has a good seal !!!...

I don't use baits, but other 'professional' butterfly lovers successfully use both rotten fruit (banana, pineapple, papaya, etc) or the smelly shrimp paste, both very effective, but only with some species, not with every kind.

I don't use baits, but other 'professional' butterfly lovers successfully use both rotten fruit (banana, pineapple, papaya, etc) or the smelly shrimp paste, both very effective, but only with some species, not with every kind.

And thanks for all the nice words :jap::rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Super and Great photos "angiud" and thank you for the tip below.

In, Kan we do not have such light coloured butterfly only the dark, black ones.Some very little ones are yellow, but to catch them in flight or make "Hey" as you posted near impossible.

Win wai.gif