Advice Please On 1St Visit To Kanchanaburi

duan

I live in Hua Hin and am making my 1st trip to Kan next week staying at the Phong Phen on the advice of this forum. We are a party of 6 people comprising 3 farangs with 3 Thai partners and would be most grateful for recommendations for the best way to spend 2 full afternoons sightseeing. We are happy to hire a minivan for any longer trips you may recommend.

We would also be very grateful for your views of the best restaurants and bars within walking distance of the Phong Phen.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Erawan falls for sure! I didnt think the other trips were that good IMHO. Safari park is ok!

Generally Food in Kanchanaburi is good! I like Friends bar for food and welcoming staff.

If you turn left out of Pong Phen (towards the bridge, past 7/11) there are more open air bar/resturants. More suited to couples than most bars if you turn to the right.

There is a very large temple complex on top of a hill at Tha Muang, excellent photo op! If you are renting a van you may want to consider getting dropped off at Saiyok and getting the train back to Kan, fantastic scenery along the river.

There is a very large temple complex on top of a hill at Tha Muang, excellent photo op! If you are renting a van you may want to consider getting dropped off at Saiyok and getting the train back to Kan, fantastic scenery along the river.

Many thanks for the replies so far. From the research I have done Erawan looks a must but am concerned about the Thai girls ability to walk up to the various waterfalls. To which of the 7 levels would the average thai girl reach and what footwear would you recommend for both the girls and the farangs?

With regard to the post immediately above is Tha Muang on the way to Saiyok and if not how long would it take to drive to each of these places and approx how long is the train ride from Saiyok, which sounds fantastic, and what is the frequency of the trains back to Kan?

Many thanks for the replies so far. From the research I have done Erawan looks a must but am concerned about the Thai girls ability to walk up to the various waterfalls. To which of the 7 levels would the average thai girl reach and what footwear would you recommend for both the girls and the farangs?

With regard to the post immediately above is Tha Muang on the way to Saiyok and if not how long would it take to drive to each of these places and approx how long is the train ride from Saiyok, which sounds fantastic, and what is the frequency of the trains back to Kan?

Two trains a day.

Thamuang is in the other direction from Saiyok. If you have own transport it is worth going on the back road (other side of river) to the temples as there are some nicely laid out Chinese cemeteries along that route. From town turn right at traffic lights just after Tesco/Lotus. After crossing over river bridge take the next left and you will have the river on your left. You will eventually see the two temples (one Chinese and one Thai) in the distance on a hill.

Regarding Erawan, I wouldn't consider going much past about the fourth level for the 'average' Thai lady....if that! I would have trouble getting my missus beyond the car park!! :lol: :lol: