Nana Plaza And Bible Thumpers

britmaveric

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine saw a group on Soi Cowboy. He said they were mostly young farang men. He said the girls were trying to drag them in one of the bars. LOL!

Yep...that's been going on now for >30 years.

Ever since the Church of the Latter Day Saints (Mormans) started sending Missionaries to LOS. - they must like getting dragged into those bars, eh? :o

I have seen these "missionaries" at both Nana and Cowboy......... :o

Guess they must enjoy saving a certain type of soul......... :D

If they save bad women get 'em to keep me a couple for next Friday night :D

Saved a few in my time Doc! :D !

But not by the power of prayer...... :D

As a Bible reading Christian I'd like to add my thoughts.  I dislike this type of preaching (although I have not witnessed this particular scene so I'm going on the info in the post)  However, my comments are the same.  The message of the Christian gospel is not one of Damnation but one of Salvation!  And no where in their bibles does it tell them to spread this message in this way, it's their own choice - if they weren't Christian fundamentalists they would be some other sort of fundamentalist!

Didn't Jesus say that you shouldn't put your lamp under a bushel but you should set it up on a stand so that it would shed light to everyone?

It's true that Jesus did say in 3 of the Gospels that we should not put our candle under a bushel, here's the quote from Matthew 5.15-16

"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

I think the key words here are 'good works' we should be doing our good works to glorify God. I could never interpret this as bible bashing. In my experience bible bashers who preach hellfire and damnation have a negative effect whereas the quotes containing the 'letting your light shine' are all positive. This is how I interpret the Gospel message.

I am in the wrong job. If i sign up to be a missionary will i get flights and accommodation paid for in Los? If so this sounds like a great deal, stand around nana all night looking at women. :D

Usually its up to you to find a sponsor or else bankroll yourself.

Seen some of those mormon missionaries ride a bike 50miles (pedal power) to get someplace on a daily basis :D Dedicated bunch, but sadly misguided. :o

As a Bible reading Christian I'd like to add my thoughts.  I dislike this type of preaching (although I have not witnessed this particular scene so I'm going on the info in the post)  However, my comments are the same.  The message of the Christian gospel is not one of Damnation but one of Salvation!  And no where in their bibles does it tell them to spread this message in this way, it's their own choice - if they weren't Christian fundamentalists they would be some other sort of fundamentalist!

Didn't Jesus say that you shouldn't put your lamp under a bushel but you should set it up on a stand so that it would shed light to everyone?

It's true that Jesus did say in 3 of the Gospels that we should not put our candle under a bushel, here's the quote from Matthew 5.15-16

"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

I think the key words here are 'good works' we should be doing our good works to glorify God. I could never interpret this as bible bashing. In my experience bible bashers who preach hellfire and damnation have a negative effect whereas the quotes containing the 'letting your light shine' are all positive. This is how I interpret the Gospel message.

The Bible, of course, is open to interpretation and I'll bet that if you asked these Bible thumpers (not bashers) where did Jesus condone their actions that they would use this metaphor.....if anyone goes out and talks to these people why don't you ask them where the Bible indicates that they should be carrying on like they do and see what they say? I've got 5 baht that says I'm right.

Ever since the Church of the Latter Day Saints (Mormans) started sending Missionaries to LOS. - they must like getting dragged into those bars, eh? :o

Are these guys LDS? I always found LDS to be more subtle than these screamin'-jeezus types. Apparently the best defense against an LDS is profanity -- it causes them to self-destruct.

If these bible beaters are western, where are they coming from? Does anyone know anything about people like these?

I came across a white lady in my Chinese class, she dropped out (too hard for her), but she said the main reason she was there to learn was becasue on her first trip to convert Chinese people they didn't understand her. So, she "thought" if she learned the language she would have a better time converting people.

This blows my mind. Where does the money come from to do this? Where do these people go when they are there? What do they do? I mean, live and work, or is this all paid for so all these people do is stand outside somewhere waving a bible? They really travel thousands of miles to do that?

Why do they Thai's put up with it?

If these are Thai's doing it, what is the logic behind that?

The money has come from where all missionary money has come from throughout History. The individual Church responsible for the missionaries.

Even minor religions, often misnomered as 'cults', are all based on finance and the yearning for power. Religion is big business. The more converts, the more money and power.

It is however a common mistake to look upon the urge to convert people as a Western concept. Indeed Hindu and Muslim 'missionaries' from India and the Middle East have shaped the religious map of South East Asia (and beyond) today.

This mistake arises from the perceived aggression involved in many Western Missionary campaigns from the Crusades onwards. Zealots such as this bunch do little to lessen this image.

In truth many missions were very benign indeed yet picked up the negative image because many came in the wake of vigourous colonialism although the two were seldom hand in hand and were uneasy bedfellows.

Personally I find missionaries nasty and sinister practices in many instances due to the fact that they feel the need to bribe people to convert. Religion is about freedom of choice after all and should not be about offering people rewards to convert.

Why do the Thais put up with it?

Tolerance.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Even minor religions, often misnomered as 'cults', are all based on finance and the yearning for power. Religion is big business. The more converts, the more money and power.

how true proff

however these days they havn't got the powers they used to possess, but they still have the finances.

A friend of mine saw a group on Soi Cowboy. He said they were mostly young farang men. He said the girls were trying to drag them in one of the bars. LOL!

Might be my fault... I was stuck in SLC for a few months and the only way I had to shut em up was to tell em stories of the years I spent in LOS... Lot's of em tried real hard to get the really gritty detyails out of me. Maybe i piqued some adventurous spirits to take a first hand look.

I'd say it'd be really hard to resist the girls if'n you'd never been outside of UT. I'd a loved to sit there and watch temptation pull on the sanctimonious little wretches!

The money has come from where all missionary money has come from throughout History. The individual Church responsible for the missionaries.

It is however a common mistake to look upon the urge to convert people as a Western concept. Indeed Hindu and Muslim 'missionaries' from India and the Middle East have shaped the religious map of South East Asia (and beyond) today.

This mistake arises from the perceived aggression involved in many Western Missionary campaigns from the Crusades onwards. Zealots such as this bunch do little to lessen this image.

In truth many missions were very benign indeed yet picked up the negative image because many came in the wake of vigourous colonialism although the two were seldom hand in hand and were uneasy bedfellows.

Personally I find missionaries nasty and sinister practices in many instances due to the fact that they feel the need to bribe people to convert. Religion is about freedom of choice after all and should not be about offering people rewards to convert.

Why do the Thais put up with it?

Tolerance.

I guess they are better people than me.

Might be my fault... I was stuck in SLC for a few months and the only way I had to shut em up was to tell em stories of the years I spent in LOS... Lot's of em tried real hard to get the really gritty detyails out of me.  Maybe i piqued some adventurous spirits to take a first hand look. 

Yes, I’m sure you were the inspiration for their missionary work in Thailand? :o

I'd say it'd be really hard to resist the girls if'n you'd never been outside of UT.  I'd a loved to sit there and watch temptation pull on the sanctimonious little wretches!

Well, I guess we all get our pleasure from different things? :D Why did you consider them to be sanctimonious? Any members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints that I have met have seemed genuinely pious and devoted to the practice of their religion? (Sanctimonious means a hypocritical devotion.) And why did you consider them to be “wretches”? Were they really profoundly unhappy or otherwise despicable or vile? (I must admit that, based on just a little bit of reading, I do find the LDS thing a bit creepy and weird. But who am I to judge them as individuals? I think most modern countries, including Thailand, allow for individuals to choose and practice religion as they see fit, and I am a strong believer in the freedom of religion even though I may be a non-‘practicer’.)

If these bible beaters are western, where are they coming from? Does anyone know anything about people like these?

I came across a white lady in my Chinese class, she dropped out (too hard for her), but she said the main reason she was there to learn was becasue on her first trip to convert Chinese people they didn't understand her. So, she "thought" if she learned the language she would have a better time converting people.

This blows my mind. Where does the money come from to do this? Where do these people go when they are there? What do they do? I mean, live and work, or is this all paid for so all these people do is stand outside somewhere waving a bible? They really travel thousands of miles to do that?

Wow, where to begin? Maybe with the first Christian convert in the year 34? Christian missionaries have been active in Thailand since ~ 1828, the first coming from the Netherlands. There is a long, sometimes tragic, history of Christian missionaries in China. The first arrived in 635, from Persia.

Frankly it blows my mind that anyone is unaware of the work of religious missionaries or how their work is funded?

p.s. Who can forget Ingrid Bergman in "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness"?

p.p.s. I still haven't stopped to by to observe these missionaries at NEP. I plan to soon, as I would like to hear their message first-hand, and I will try to determine if they are "rednecks".

Might be my fault... I was stuck in SLC for a few months and the only way I had to shut em up was to tell em stories of the years I spent in LOS... Lot's of em tried real hard to get the really gritty detyails out of me.  Maybe i piqued some adventurous spirits to take a first hand look. 

Yes, I’m sure you were the inspiration for their missionary work in Thailand? :o

I'd say it'd be really hard to resist the girls if'n you'd never been outside of UT.  I'd a loved to sit there and watch temptation pull on the sanctimonious little wretches!

Well, I guess we all get our pleasure from different things? :D Why did you consider them to be sanctimonious? Any members of the Church of the Latter Day Saints that I have met have seemed genuinely pious and devoted to the practice of their religion? (Sanctimonious means a hypocritical devotion.) And why did you consider them to be “wretches”? Were they really profoundly unhappy or otherwise despicable or vile? (I must admit that, based on just a little bit of reading, I do find the LDS thing a bit creepy and weird. But who am I to judge them as individuals? I think most modern countries, including Thailand, allow for individuals to choose and practice religion as they see fit, and I am a strong believer in the freedom of religion even though I may be a non-‘practicer’.)

I've spent quite a bit of time in Utah lately and i have definately been the victim and target of a large quantity of sanctimonious - ness. And i would not have used the word wretches without feeling a strong sense of unhappiness from quite a few of the people that tow the line because "it's the right thing to do" ... I feel no compunction about passing my own personal "judgement" on individuals or groups I've had some time to be exposed to. Of course I would never expect anyone else to hold with my opinion of any one or group. I do however see some danger in groups that profess to have the answer to mine and everyones else's salvation. History is full of accounts of great evil done in the name of religion. Indeed... Humanity has performed some of its greatest feats of inventiveness and ingenuity in devising ways to exterminate people of the "wrong" religious persuasion. I've always found the Thais to be among the most tolerant of religious freedoms. I'm not sure the people of LOS would have the savvy to put a stop to the juggernaught that these big organized religeous groups can become in a fertile environment.

But..what am I worried about?... The Thais have played the game of "master of the middle" for a long time now. Then again... I've got some friends who've had ex B/G's go churchy on them... Not a pretty sight.

They look and sound like very redneck American gringos.

OK, you've got my interest. What does a "very redneck American gringo" look and sound like? Feel free to use any reference, maybe a fictional character from a movie or TV show you've seen.

A very redneck american........Kid Rock, Britney Spears, Everyone in Dukes of Hazzard, etc ????

I dont agree with what these people are doing, (if they are as the op wrote) However

as you said a SOUTHERN REDNECK (my self) I take offense to this comment and the generalization that just because people are from the southern states they are rednecks.. :o