Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

In the Hanuman Statue area, across the street.

It's under construction; no idea of the opening date. Hopefully this high season.

:intheclub:

Well, this is what many of us have been waiting for for many years.

Half decent Mexican food in the Pattaya area.

Amen.

Don't whine in advance. No, its not the best Mexican place in Bangkok or Thailand, but the day it opens it will the best in the Pattaya area.

The style if you haven't tried it is similar to California Mexican food featuring burritos, the most popular style in the US.

post-37101-0-46438600-1317912703_thumb.p

With Tappraya Road and Jomtien 2nd road being finished, Jomtien is getting better and better. Finally.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you assume everyone knows where the hanuman statue is? Where is it?

As for Mexican food, I can take it or leave it.

Well, locals know the statue ... anyway ...

Here it is. Taste is personal. However, I don't know many people who have been exposed to excellent Mexican food in the US or Mexico who don't like it. It is a very varied cuisine with something for most everybody. However, no I am not saying Sunrise is world class Mexican food. But for Pattaya, it's a great addition. post-37101-0-26574000-1317916179_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing

Further down the street on the same side of the road another interesting large classy looking new restaurant is being built. Called 1921 Brasserie, I think. French, obviously. Imagine what the area is going to be like in 5 or 10 years considering the changes happening so rapidly.

Thanks, JT! I'm back in Vegas for the next month. We'll get our fill of good Mexican food while we are here...we always do.

Wifey's getting pretty darn good at burritos, tacos, fajitas, etc. Even starting to make her own tortillas! As well as original margs. ;)

I'll be keeping an eye open for this new restaurant.

Craig

Pretty poor imitation of Tex-Mex food IMO...the same quality of food (or worse in some cases) as Mike's or Blue Parrot at 2x the price. At that location, probably rope in allot of daft Russians with their "authentic" Mexican food :lol:

That is your opinion and that you for sharing what I am certain is going to be a minority opinion. To my taste, Blue Parrot was along with Tequila Reef among the absolutely worse "Mexican" food I ever tried. While I agree Sunrise isn't world class, I rate it TEN TIMES better than Blue Parrot. Sunrise in Bangkok is popular with Americans and trendy Thais are going for it as well. Especially their burritos are definitely much closer to Cali-Mex than Tex-Mex.

The place isn't even built yet. It's probably a franchise owned location. Plenty of time to whine about the food when we can actually get it, but of course I continue to think this is a great Mexican step forward for the region.

Edited by Jingthing

To my taste, Blue Parrot was along with Tequila Reef among the absolutely worse "Mexican" food I ever tried. While I agree Sunrise isn't world class, I rate it TEN TIMES better than Blue Parrot.

True, but, like you said, Sunrise is in the "good for Thailand" category.

Jingthing, Thanks for the informative post on the Mexican Restaurant. Just seems like the negative posting on these forums come from the same posters. Maybe time they got away from the computers and started partaking of the real delights that Pattaya offers. :partytime2:

The new Sunrise isn't exactly across from Hanuman. It will be in a LARGE corner location about one block down towards the beach from the statue, on one of the major entrances to Jomtien Complex. The same soi as Dick's Cafe and that open air Italian place.

BTW, they are actively hiring if you know Thai or Filipino people looking for food service jobs. Yes I think they like to hire Filipinos for the English skills as the burritos are custom made based on customer preference. The email is at the site to inquire.

Edited by Jingthing

I have seen The sunrise on Soi Chaiyapruk conner near bus station in Jomtien. Not sure is it the same one.

The actual name of this under construction place is Sunrise Tacos. I doubt the place you are mentioning is any relation or even Mexican.

Here is the company's website. You can view the menu. I don't know if the Jomtien branch will have the same menu but I reckon so as it's a large location, so why not? I also wouldn't be surprised if there will be only one Sunrise Tacos in the area. There is certainly room for a number of them in different parts of town.

http://www.sunrisetacos.com/

Edited by Jingthing

The new Sunrise isn't exactly across from Hanuman. It will be in a LARGE corner location about one block down towards the beach from the statue, on one of the major entrances to Jomtien Complex. The same soi as Dick's Cafe and that open air Italian place.

BTW, they are actively hiring if you know Thai or Filipino people looking for food service jobs. Yes I think they like to hire Filipinos for the English skills as the burritos are custom made based on customer preference. The email is at the site to inquire.

SAM's is out there. Decent or actually good food but very high priced. I spent 300baht and was hungry as I left.

How do they get Filipino's work permits? When last in Sunrise in Bangkok, a Filipino tossed a staple in my take out bag without even knowing/thinking about it. I refused the order and left. Not been back.

Sams is not in the same league as Sunrise Tacos. Personally, I have found their food quite poor and not satisfying a yen for Mexican food. I think after Sunrise Tacos gets established, the competitors will need to step up their game or suffer the inevitable.

Of course Tequila Reef will survive a nuclear war; people don't go there for the food ...

Hopefully we can attract some other higher quality (than what's currently on offer) Mexican places from Bangkok, such as LA MONITA.

http://lamonita.com/La_Monita_Taqueria/Welcome.html

I have enjoyed the food at Miguels in Chiang Mai but I talked to the owner a while back and he had no interest in opening in other cities.

I know there are some people in town who find the CURRENT Pattaya Mexican choices acceptable and also some people who don't think Sunrise Tacos will be much of an improvement. That's fine, but I strongly disagree.

Edited by Jingthing

I think after Sunrise Tacos gets established, the competitors will need to step up their game or suffer the inevitable.

As I'm thinking you know, "Sunrise" is actually Greg and the sales outfut Sunbelt Asia. I've never understood why they didn't give Pattaya a go long ago. Seems a good fit. McDonalds is expanding here, Taco Bell would work as well. Another thing to watch as we digress is the expansion of the Tesco/Lotus mini marts which compete with 7/11 and Family Mart. It's remarkable how quick they have opened especially on the dark side. I was over there yesterday for the first time in a year. And lastly off topic, I pay 575baht for a New York Pizza delivered(plus small tip for the moto). Someone mentioned 499baht for a pizza.

Yes, I am also surprised it took so long for Sunrise Tacos to come to Pattaya. They are going to make a fortune.

Not that I go there (except when I'm traveling) but another thing that surprises me is why there isn't even one Starbucks in Jomtien, when there are a number in Pattaya.

Not that I go there (except when I'm traveling) but another thing that surprises me is why there isn't even one Starbucks in Jomtien, when there are a number in Pattaya.

You answered in your statement. People aren't traveling in Jomtien. For the most part, they aren't hungover farang sex tourist either. If they are, they are from Denmark of some other gay country. Take away those two segments and what's left for a Starbucks?

The most important off topic news flash is that there is a Popeyes Fried Chicken in the domestic food court at BKK. I've never seen a Popeyes in Thailand prior to this one last week. It was very good but no red beans and dirty rice. It would work in Pattaya! Much better tasting chicken than KFC.

You answered in your statement. People aren't traveling in Jomtien. For the most part, they aren't hungover farang sex tourist either. If they are, they are from Denmark of some other gay country. Take away those two segments and what's left for a Starbucks?

The most important off topic news flash is that there is a Popeyes Fried Chicken in the domestic food court at BKK. I've never seen a Popeyes in Thailand prior to this one last week. It was very good but no red beans and dirty rice. It would work in Pattaya! Much better tasting chicken than KFC.

dam_n Bruce you are all over the place on this one???? Now Denmark is a gay country according to Mangosteen?? I live in Jomtien am a hetro (not Danish either I'm afraid) and other than certain small "gay areas" it is no different and probably "cleaner" than Pattaya. As far as the actual posted topic I look foreward to a new upscale Mexican Restaurant - the more competition the better, the Bangkok menu and prices looked great. An upscale coffee shop is also needed in the area also.

Sunrise Tacos isn't really upscale. It's just that it has food (particularly the BURRITOS) that tastes close enough to "authentic" California style Mexican to satisfy many people, including me. For me at this time, there is no Mexican place in town worth spending my baht at. When this place opens, I will be a regular (assuming they do the food like in Bangkok).

Edited by Jingthing

Popeyes is OK but so greasy!

I don't get your point about Jomtien. People aren't traveling there? Huh? I don't get that, the place is hopping and now that the roads are finished, a noticeable boom town atmosphere is starting.

About Starbucks, well they have Starbucks in Sweden, it's coming to Norway if not already there and lots of locations in Russia. To be clear, I don't care myself.

http://starbuckscoffee.ru/en-US/_Our+Stores/

BTW, there are some other new things happening in the area of possible interest.

Construction going on at the corner of Thappraya and Beach, what is that going to be?

A large renovation in the area of the closed Lovejoys. Maybe just another real estate office but I am hoping for something good.

Also, an interesting new looking Thai restaurant going north from the Hanuman statue off a side street starting at the 7-11 going a ways. Not sure if it's open yet, but they have a cool looking sign up.

Edited by Jingthing