Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important off topic news flash is that there is a Popeyes Fried Chicken in the domestic food court at BKK. I've never seen a Popeyes in Thailand prior to this one last week.

Popeyes was near Patpong in Bangkok and in Royal Plaza in Pattaya for a few years prior to the economic collapse in 1997 which ruined them. They seemed popular and they served red beans and dirty rice.

I hope that they open one in Chiang Mai this time around and reintroduce red beans and dirty rice and buttermilk biscuits as they had before. It is the side dishes that attract me, rather than the chicken.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't get your point about Jomtien. People aren't traveling there? Huh? I don't get that, the place is hopping and now that the roads are finished, a noticeable boom town atmosphere is starting.

My point is the typical resident or visitor isn't a Starbucks customer. In addition, it is spread out and well known for a large homosexual as well as Scandinavian base of people. When I say "traveling" I mean passing through or there in a condensed setting for a day/hour, week or two as those in Pattaya proper would be and are.(and airports for example) Consider the Starbucks at Avenues and on Beach Road and at Central Festival and at Tukcom. Far more traffic flow people wise, hungover resident sex tourists and international visitors walking and shopping as well as automobile and taxi's etc.. You guys living out in Jomtien are as they say a breed apart. Not bad, just apart. I seriously doubt "boom town" describes it all. I only go there if I have a reason, and to visit a Starbucks would not qualify as a reason. A Popeyes or Sunrise, yes but only once a month or so.

dam_n Bruce you are all over the place on this one???? Now Denmark is a gay country according to Mangosteen?? I live in Jomtien am a hetro (not Danish either I'm afraid) and other than certain small "gay areas" it is no different and probably "cleaner" than Pattaya. As far as the actual posted topic I look foreward to a new upscale Mexican Restaurant - the more competition the better, the Bangkok menu and prices looked great. An upscale coffee shop is also needed in the area also.

Jomtien is generally thought of as a gay destination worldwide. It doesn't bother me. I don't care. I'm surprised there isn't a "upscale" coffee shop out there. So many around town but not in Jomtien? Why? That's what I was answering. The reasons I gave were my opinion, but it seems money talks, BS walks. It's the flow and type of people in the area. Sunrise on the other hand(no pun), people will travel to so me thinks. There used to be a KFC out there if you recall. Why is it gone? Same same.

dam_n Bruce you are all over the place on this one???? Now Denmark is a gay country according to Mangosteen?? I live in Jomtien am a hetro (not Danish either I'm afraid) and other than certain small "gay areas" it is no different and probably "cleaner" than Pattaya. As far as the actual posted topic I look foreward to a new upscale Mexican Restaurant - the more competition the better, the Bangkok menu and prices looked great. An upscale coffee shop is also needed in the area also.

Jomtien is generally thought of as a gay destination worldwide. It doesn't bother me. I don't care. I'm surprised there isn't a "upscale" coffee shop out there. So many around town but not in Jomtien? Why? That's what I was answering. The reasons I gave were my opinion, but it seems money talks, BS walks. It's the flow and type of people in the area. Sunrise on the other hand(no pun), people will travel to so me thinks. There used to be a KFC out there if you recall. Why is it gone? Same same.

Wrong... again.

B)

Wrong... again.

B)

yes wrong again! <_<

Wrong... again.

B)

Where's YOUR favoutite gay destination then?

Wrong... again.

B)

yes wrong again! <_<

and yours?

Where's YOUR favoutite gay destination then?

All the major destinations in Thailand are popular gay destinations -- Pattaya (including Jomtien), Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Bangkok.

My favorite gay destination in the world? That's hard as there are so many good ones. But if pushed, I'd say Puerto Vallarta Mexico. There's something about the smell of the rotting jungle there when you first arrive.

Within this area, yes the area's gay beach is in Jomtien and there is Jomtien complex, but overall a lot more gay nightlife is in Pattaya than Jomtien.

Again about Starbucks, I would be surprised given the boom town development in Jomtien and the new roads if they don't open a location within a few years. Of course if they can sell their overpriced stuff at Tukcom South Pattaya, they can sell at a high traffic location in Jomtien. It's absurd to assert otherwise.

Anyway, what's this got to do with finally getting some edible burritos?

Edited by Jingthing

maybe time to coin a nickname for that part of town........we have the darkside across sukhumwit, the "burbs" perhaps....

I don't get your point about Jomtien. People aren't traveling there? Huh? I don't get that, the place is hopping and now that the roads are finished, a noticeable boom town atmosphere is starting.

My point is the typical resident or visitor isn't a Starbucks customer. In addition, it is spread out and well known for a large homosexual as well as Scandinavian base of people. When I say "traveling" I mean passing through or there in a condensed setting for a day/hour, week or two as those in Pattaya proper would be and are.(and airports for example) Consider the Starbucks at Avenues and on Beach Road and at Central Festival and at Tukcom. Far more traffic flow people wise, hungover resident sex tourists and international visitors walking and shopping as well as automobile and taxi's etc.. You guys living out in Jomtien are as they say a breed apart. Not bad, just apart. I seriously doubt "boom town" describes it all. I only go there if I have a reason, and to visit a Starbucks would not qualify as a reason. A Popeyes or Sunrise, yes but only once a month or so.

It's the internet and the general public. But it's also interesting to understand why you can or can't get something you want. The area isn't a good investment for such things as good Mexican restaurants and/or a Starbucks. We've explained why and I added that since there isn't one basically that's the proof.Are Starbucks here in Thailand franchises or company owned? I frankly don't know and don't care. I think a Taco Bell would be a good idea in Pattaya but not Jomtien.

Within this area, yes the area's gay beach is in Jomtien and there is Jomtien complex, but overall a lot more gay nightlife is in Pattaya than Jomtien.

Please don't confuse "boy" prostitution with actual gay nightlife. I hope you are not including ladyboy action as "gay" either. This isn't the place for such a discussion as we will get the usual homophobic and other non-tolerant posts by the immature crowd, but suffice to say again, Jomtien is the place to stay if you are with a gay partner or looking for other gay guys/gals vs. South, Central, or North Pattaya.

It's the internet and the general public. But it's also interesting to understand why you can or can't get something you want. The area isn't a good investment for such things as good Mexican restaurants and/or a Starbucks. We've explained why and I added that since there isn't one basically that's the proof.Are Starbucks here in Thailand franchises or company owned? I frankly don't know and don't care. I think a Taco Bell would be a good idea in Pattaya but not Jomtien.

What a bizarre theory. So you think Sunrise didn't bother with market research? They are opening FIRST in Jomtien, not Pattaya. I doubt they are out to lose money.

Next ...

Please don't confuse "boy" prostitution with actual gay nightlife. I hope you are not including ladyboy action as "gay" either. This isn't the place for such a discussion as we will get the usual homophobic and other non-tolerant posts by the immature crowd, but suffice to say again, Jomtien is the place to stay if you are with a gay partner or looking for other gay guys/gals vs. South, Central, or North Pattaya.

While I would agree that Jomtien is a good choice for existing gay couples, I don't buy for a minute that it lacks a plethora of commercial male sex workers. Not go gos, but plenty of beer bars, massage joints, and of course the beach is a major meat market. Also of course the Thai oriented non-commercial gay discos etc are in Pattaya and none in Jomtien. Come on now ... don't go overboard with the stereotypes, OK?

Edited by Jingthing

Not that I go there (except when I'm traveling) but another thing that surprises me is why there isn't even one Starbucks in Jomtien, when there are a number in Pattaya.

You answered in your statement. People aren't traveling in Jomtien. For the most part, they aren't hungover farang sex tourist either. If they are, they are from Denmark of some other gay country. Take away those two segments and what's left for a Starbucks?

The most important off topic news flash is that there is a Popeyes Fried Chicken in the domestic food court at BKK. I've never seen a Popeyes in Thailand prior to this one last week. It was very good but no red beans and dirty rice. It would work in Pattaya! Much better tasting chicken than KFC.

There was a Popeyes' 15 yrs ago in Royal Garden ground floor, opposite Sizzlers' ( the old AU BON PAIN unit..which is now a restaurant).

My vote is that they keep all of these American fast food chains out of Jomtien and let some decent European style Coffee shops and eateries develop. Not everyone wants dirty rice and deep fried chicken, Starbucks & Taco Bell, no thank you, please stop trying to drag the level of the place down!

let some decent European style Coffee shops and eateries develop.

Yea sure. Like there are so many of them in Thailand now. :rolleyes: .

Exactly that is why we don't need any of this cheap American rubbish in Jomtien. Euro style spring to mind: Casa Pascal, Bruno's, Mata Hari, Mantra, Various Coffee shops, some good Italian (sorry if you thought Pizza is American) German, Scandinavian and a few French and some steak houses (yes we have cows in Europe too!) We have got an Indonesian now and hopefully an Indian to follow along with the new Mexican which is the subject of this thread!

I really cant see a mad rush for Mexican food in Jomtien.

Heck I reckon it would even struggle in Pattaya which obviously is a lot bigger market.

I have had Mexican twice in Thailand and boo th times it was horrible Tequila Reef and Charley Browns.

Eaten it in Australia and it was okay but I still doubt that it would be a big earner in thailand.

Euro style spring to mind

Enjoy that bangers and mash and spotted dick old chap. :whistling:

Sorry that is northern English dish and not to everybodys taste! But a medium Chateaubriand with a decent Rhone such as a Chateaunuf du Pape would do nicely!

Eaten it in Australia and it was okay but I still doubt that it would be a big earner in thailand.

It's already a big earner in Thailand in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Before Sunrise, there hasn't been any half decent Mexican in Pattaya. The Mexican government should sue Tequila Reef for misrepresenting their food. So you don't like Mexican. Who cares?

This new Sunrise is gonna be a big hit.

Edited by Jingthing

hard to figure out why you have such a bug in yer ar*e abt Tequila Reef which you keep slamming.....did they ban you for some reason?

It's already a big earner in Thailand in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Before Sunrise, there hasn't been any half decent Mexican in Pattaya. The Mexican government should sue Tequila Reef for misrepresenting their food. So you don't like Mexican. Who cares?

This new Sunrise is gonna be a big hit.

hard to figure out why you have such a bug in yer ar*e abt Tequila Reef which you keep slamming.....did they ban you for some reason?

I went there once and found the food horrible and the crowd mostly UK alcoholics with bar girls. Not banned but can't imagine a more painless punishment. I wouldn't eat what they serve if they paid me. Seriously it's unimaginable that anyone exposed to good Mexican food of any style would find their food at all good and no, American BBQ ribs isn't even American style Mexican food.

OK for margaritas though!

So why are you defending it? Don't tell me you think they serve good Mexican food there please.

Edited by Jingthing

I went there once and found the food horrible and the crowd mostly UK alcoholics with bar girls. Not banned but can't imagine a more painless punishment. I wouldn't eat what they serve if they paid me. Seriously it's unimaginable that anyone exposed to good Mexican food of any style would find their food at all good and no, American BBQ ribs isn't even American style Mexican food.

OK for margaritas though!

So why are you defending it? Don't tell me you think they serve good Mexican food there please.

Don't know how drunk Brits and bar girls got roped into a discussion of Mexican food in Pattaya...would alcoholic Americans and bar-boys been more to your taste?