Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how drunk Brits and bar girls got roped into a discussion of Mexican food in Pattaya...would alcoholic Americans and bar-boys been more to your taste?

Not exactly, but Americans would generally know better than UK people about what constitutes acceptable Mexican food. That's simply a cultural reality. Thai bar girls and Thai bar boys would be similarly clueless.

Edited by Jingthing

If only people from the USA (especially the south and southwest) and Mexicans lived in Jomtien, then the new Sunrise Tacos would likely be empty of customers. But since most people who live in Jomtien are European and totally clueless about Mexican food (especially good Mexican food), it might actually work.

Hopefully we can attract some other higher quality (than what's currently on offer) Mexican places from Bangkok, such as LA MONITA.

http://lamonita.com/...ia/Welcome.html

Sunrise is probably fourth or fifth of the Bangkok Mexican places. La Monita is way ahead of the rest....and for the poster who talks of eating at Tequila Reef and Charley Browns and claims to know anything at all about Mexican food well all I can say is you are a fool.

Sunrise Tacos is OK if its the best on offer.

Edit: sp

Edited by smokie36

I agree Sunrise Tacos is OK. I have been clear it isn't world class. Right now in Pattaya, no Mexican restaurant is even as good as OK. So for now, OK is great!

As far as the potential clientele demographic for the Jomtien Sunrise, it remains to be seen. Honestly its been a while since I used to eat the Sunrise off inner Sukhumwit. What I noticed there was that most of the customers were North Americans and trendy Thais. Yes they are going to have to attract more than those groups to make it work, but I can say with confidence that North Americans all over the Pattaya area will surely make special trips to eat at Sunrise just as they do in Bangkok for the various decent Mexican restaurants there.

Edited by Jingthing

Hopefully we can attract some other higher quality (than what's currently on offer) Mexican places from Bangkok, such as LA MONITA.

Sunrise is probably fourth or fifth of the Bangkok Mexican places. La Monita is way ahead of the rest....and for the poster who talks of eating at Tequila Reef and Charley Browns and claims to know anything at all about Mexican food well all I can say is you are a fool.

Excuse me but Tequila Reef and Charley Browns claim to be Mexican restaurants and they are the only ones I have eaten at in Thailand and they are both diabolical.

Therefore my experience of Mexican food in Thailand is well less than impressive.

I dont doubt there would be better Mexican food coz it would be almost impossible to be worse than those lot.

But really what is the market for Mexican food in Thailand?

A few expat yanks might yearn for it but who else?

Agreed.

La Monita and Tacos & Salsa are tied for 1st.

Agreed.

La Monita and Tacos & Salsa are tied for 1st.

Agreed and the reason is that they produce food that is closer to Mexican and so-called Tex-Mex. The last time I ate at La Monitas (which I think is overpriced), I ordered beef tacos with soft corn tortillas and they were really great! I was shocked. I tried the same thing at Sunrise and was very disappointed, starting with the fact that the corn tortillas crumbled in front of me. There was also no Mexican taste to it (no proper spices). But Sunrise serves food for a particular niche. If the owner can attract Europeans who know nothing about Mexican food and North Americans who also know nothing about Mexican food (or actually prefer that style), it may work in Jomtien. I long for a really good Mexican restaurant like those back home in the USA--particularly Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona style. For those who like to knock Tequilla Reef (and I have done so), they do make good pork carnitas fajitas. That is something I would never order back home, but in Pattaya what can you do but adapt to what the cook can make that is OK. I challenge Jingthing to try that dish at TR. I think you will like it (providing you are not Jewish) :) The salsas at TR really should be changed, but people have no doubt told the owner that very thing for over a decade.

The culinary snobs are out en mass these days. Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each other with their cilnary expertise??? Why not try a restaurant and IF you enjoy it return and quit over analysing the cr_p out of everything. Remember food is only a short term rental anyways.:whistling: I for one am looking foreward to this new restaurant and wish them luck here even if it isn't just like in Mexico, Texas or other parts of the USA.

The culinary snobs are out en mass these days. Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each other with their cilnary expertise??? Why not try a restaurant and IF you enjoy it return and quit over analysing the cr_p out of everything. Remember food is only a short term rental anyways.:whistling: I for one am looking foreward to this new restaurant and wish them luck here even if it isn't just like in Mexico, Texas or other parts of the USA.

Too true.

I eat the food that I like the taste of.

If it's 'authentic' and I don't like it well I won't go back. For example I met many people in India that liked Indian food in England but couldn't eat the authentic Indian food in India.

In Pattaya I regularly eat at Mike's Mexican but the best I've tasted was Pancho Villas in Seoul although that changed owners last time I went a couple of years ago and wasn't as good. Second best was probably Taco Bell in Jeddah.

But I'm a Brit and have never had mexican food in Mexico or Texas / California.

Excuse me but Tequila Reef and Charley Browns claim to be Mexican restaurants and they are the only ones I have eaten at in Thailand and they are both diabolical.

Therefore my experience of Mexican food in Thailand is well less than impressive.

I dont doubt there would be better Mexican food coz it would be almost impossible to be worse than those lot.

But really what is the market for Mexican food in Thailand?

A few expat yanks might yearn for it but who else?

I'm neither Mexican nor American and can tell the difference easily between the likes of Charley Browns, which serves UK style "themed" Mexican food, and La Monita which serves properly spiced and tasty Mexican grub.

I recommend you give it a try....then you will know. wink.gif

The best Tex-Mex food I have had in Thailand is at the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang. It is owned by a guy from the Rio Grande Valley and he knows how to cook Tex-Mex, and other down South foods.

The best Tex-Mex I have had in BKK is Coyote's on Convent.

The best Tex-Mex food I have had in Thailand is at the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang. It is owned by a guy from the Rio Grande Valley and he knows how to cook Tex-Mex, and other down South foods.

The best Tex-Mex I have had in BKK is Coyote's on Convent.

I always have the wonderful beef stew in there.

I'll look out for the Tex Mex next time.

I think there is a consensus (which I agree with) that Sunrise Tacos doesn't serve the best Mexican (including American Mexican styles) in Bangkok or Thailand. However, I am confident that when Sunrise does open, assuming they match their food in Bangkok, there will also be a consensus that Sunrise Tacos serves the best Mexican in Pattaya/Jomtien/Naklua. Hopefully, this will spark even better Mexican places to open in town (as I predict a big hit and probably multiple local locations over time). But something acceptable is better than nothing.

A side note on Mexican food styles. To my taste, a San Francisco Mission district style BURRITO is one of the most wonderful foods in the world. You won't find that dish in Mexico. Much of the USA used to BE Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok let me recap, a punter walks into a resto and declares everyone alcoholic(did they have identification signs on???) then takes a potshot at Brits, writes a rottten food review and then expects people to take his review at face value......you just can't make this kind of sh*t up.....your food review street cred is zero......I may go try this place now just because you don't recommend it as i distrust people with an agenda

you should also not insult alcoholics as it is a very serious disease, and to have people like you come on here and insult it is nothing less than disgusting.....

hard to figure out why you have such a bug in yer ar*e abt Tequila Reef which you keep slamming.....did they ban you for some reason?

I went there once and found the food horrible and the crowd mostly UK alcoholics with bar girls. Not banned but can't imagine a more painless punishment. I wouldn't eat what they serve if they paid me. Seriously it's unimaginable that anyone exposed to good Mexican food of any style would find their food at all good and no, American BBQ ribs isn't even American style Mexican food.

OK for margaritas though!

So why are you defending it? Don't tell me you think they serve good Mexican food there please.

Edited by tailspin

If y'all ever get to Hua Hin, there's a quite good Mexican restaurant called Margaritas on the soi with the night market. Run by two Mexican guys (cousins, I think?) Not Tex Mex, but *real* Mexican.

If y'all ever get to Hua Hin, there's a quite good Mexican restaurant called Margaritas on the soi with the night market. Run by two Mexican guys (cousins, I think?) Not Tex Mex, but *real* Mexican.

Thanks very much for that. But as they serve nachos (that's Tex Mex), perhaps call it "real" plus?

What a GAY thread. Grown men arguing about what the best food is. Embarrassing to say the least.

"Hot and Humid" now that's GAY GAY GAY...reminds me of a restaurant in San Francisco I used to frequent called "Hot and Hunky"! They had some of the best burgers and shakes in the City :lol:

What a GAY thread. Grown men arguing about what the best food is. Embarrassing to say the least.

"Hot and Humid" now that's GAY GAY GAY...reminds me of a restaurant in San Francisco I used to frequent called "Hot and Hunky"! They had some of the best burgers and shakes in the City :lol:

And for dessert, you could have the creme of sum yung gai.

And for dessert, you could have the creme of sum yung gai.

LOL :lol: