Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STill a dead area what ever.

Apparently, some people are willing to place big bets that the tide has turned.

Well I will keep my eyes open, dont get me wrong I dont have a problem with the area, its not really my type and although I have popped down that way for a drink or 2 its always a bit dead and the bars towards the hanaman statue near the beach are ok but a bit of a creepy area late on, I am a LK Metro/Baukhaow fan so do nearlly all my deeds round there.

STill a dead area what ever.

Apparently, some people are willing to place big bets that the tide has turned.

Well I will keep my eyes open, dont get me wrong I dont have a problem with the area, its not really my type and although I have popped down that way for a drink or 2 its always a bit dead and the bars towards the hanaman statue near the beach are ok but a bit of a creepy area late on, I am a LK Metro/Baukhaow fan so do nearlly all my deeds round there.

Agreed...I doubt much of the Pattaya crowd of tourists and expats would make the long trek over the mountain for what will likely be very mediocre Tex-Mex food at high prices and don't think the Jomtien locals (and any trendy or non-trendy Thais who may wander in) can support the place on their own.

Gil here, owner of Sunrise Tacos Pattaya. Please permit me to weigh in, introduce ourselves, and let you all know what's up.

No other food to my mind invokes the same emotional discussions regarding what is, and what is not "authentic." I cannot answer this. I can say though, that we import our own 100% organic white, yellow and blue corn in kernel form from the U.S.A. We then grind it, add water and salt, and hand work it. Each tortilla is then HAND pressed and turned into one of the most tastiest corn tortillas I have ever had. We import all avocados fresh, we make all our own salsas each morning, our margaritas are made daily from real fruit, etc., I am hoping that these efforts help us to develop a loyal expat crowd, just like our loyal crowd in BKK. From our recent experience opening at Terminal 21 (we are packed daily), we also appeal to the young and hip Thai crowd, who hanker for delicious, fresh and unique tastes at very competitive prices. We hope to capture a portion of this crowd also in Pattaya, as there are not a lot of places for the mainstream Thai crowd to experience a modern and fresh concept restaurant. Being on the main road also, we hope to get our share of tourists when they visit the beaches of Jomtien.

We chose Jomtien for several reasons - easy parking, and easy access for the resident expats or full time Pattaya residents. Although we looked at over 60 locations on Beach road, parking and access is troublesome, even more so during events (e.g., music festivals). Rents there are sky high also, with tea money the norm.

The Jomtien area also has one of the highest concentrations of condominiums in a small area, making home delivery a viable supporting revenue opportunity. We are located directly at the entrance to Jomtien Complex, just before reaching Shenanigan's on the right. A large corner unit. The surrounding road construction is mostly complete, adding appeal to this area which we are hoping will begin to take on a popularity of its own as Pattaya proper gets more and more crowded. Many long-term expats that I know dread the idea of trying to "dine out" anywhere near Walking St or Beach Rd, or even 2nd road. Next year, we will open in North Pattaya also.

Regarding the restaurant itself, we have 2 full time kitchens on site, with a unique margarita bar off to the side of the main dining room. The build out is looking fantastic, with an unusual split level hung ceiling in modern colors. The restaurant is 75% glass enclosed, and will incorporate the latest in back-projection technology of printed photos of our food. Booths are over-sized of course. We have approximately 75 seats, and booths and tables that can sit full families. The bar will serve a full a full drink menu, including hand-blended and machine blended margaritas. Of course, we are continuing our trademark free salsa bar (9 different types, made daily).

Our opening date is approximately Nov 20th, 2011. A lot depends upon the completion of the build out. All of our staff is now training full time at multiple Sunrise Tacos locations in BKK, and we will follow the recipes originally created by our 2 native Mexican head chefs. Recently, we also consulted a Mexican head chef residing in China, who flew into Thailand to meet us and consulted on our food. He did not make one change recommendation, which we took to mean that we are on the right track.

Final note - we are 90% thru completion of a mobile Mexican food truck also. It is a full sized long bed Toyota with a camper house on top. It will travel all over Pattaya and East Pattaya serving nachos, supreme nachos, quessadillas, burritos, tacos, and of course, margaritas. The mobile unit has hot and cold running water, full cooking capability, fridges, etc., so please keep an eye out for our mobile Sunrise Tacos unit coming near you! You can PM me here of course for any further information. It will be available for catering, birthdays, wedding events, home parties, etc. of course. We also have a full catering service for the extended menu.

Thank you everyone,

Kind regards,

Gil

Owner - Sunrise Tacos Pattaya

Gil, God bless you and I'm an atheist!

Here's an idea. How about a loyalty card for us expats? 10 meals over 200 baht, one free?

Expat Tuesdays.

Free guacamole on your burrito.

Your core crowd year round is going to be us expats.

Edited by Jingthing

Gil here, owner of Sunrise Tacos Pattaya. Please permit me to weigh in, introduce ourselves, and let you all know what's up.

No other food to my mind invokes the same emotional discussions regarding what is, and what is not "authentic." I cannot answer this. I can say though, that we import our own 100% organic white, yellow and blue corn in kernel form from the U.S.A. We then grind it, add water and salt, and hand work it. Each tortilla is then HAND pressed and turned into one of the most tastiest corn tortillas I have ever had. We import all avocados fresh, we make all our own salsas each morning, our margaritas are made daily from real fruit, etc., I am hoping that these efforts help us to develop a loyal expat crowd, just like our loyal crowd in BKK. From our recent experience opening at Terminal 21 (we are packed daily), we also appeal to the young and hip Thai crowd, who hanker for delicious, fresh and unique tastes at very competitive prices. We hope to capture a portion of this crowd also in Pattaya, as there are not a lot of places for the mainstream Thai crowd to experience a modern and fresh concept restaurant. Being on the main road also, we hope to get our share of tourists when they visit the beaches of Jomtien.

We chose Jomtien for several reasons - easy parking, and easy access for the resident expats or full time Pattaya residents. Although we looked at over 60 locations on Beach road, parking and access is troublesome, even more so during events (e.g., music festivals). Rents there are sky high also, with tea money the norm.

The Jomtien area also has one of the highest concentrations of condominiums in a small area, making home delivery a viable supporting revenue opportunity. We are located directly at the entrance to Jomtien Complex, just before reaching Shenanigan's on the right. A large corner unit. The surrounding road construction is mostly complete, adding appeal to this area which we are hoping will begin to take on a popularity of its own as Pattaya proper gets more and more crowded. Many long-term expats that I know dread the idea of trying to "dine out" anywhere near Walking St or Beach Rd, or even 2nd road. Next year, we will open in North Pattaya also.

Regarding the restaurant itself, we have 2 full time kitchens on site, with a unique margarita bar off to the side of the main dining room. The build out is looking fantastic, with an unusual split level hung ceiling in modern colors. The restaurant is 75% glass enclosed, and will incorporate the latest in back-projection technology of printed photos of our food. Booths are over-sized of course. We have approximately 75 seats, and booths and tables that can sit full families. The bar will serve a full a full drink menu, including hand-blended and machine blended margaritas. Of course, we are continuing our trademark free salsa bar (9 different types, made daily).

Our opening date is approximately Nov 20th, 2011. A lot depends upon the completion of the build out. All of our staff is now training full time at multiple Sunrise Tacos locations in BKK, and we will follow the recipes originally created by our 2 native Mexican head chefs. Recently, we also consulted a Mexican head chef residing in China, who flew into Thailand to meet us and consulted on our food. He did not make one change recommendation, which we took to mean that we are on the right track.

Final note - we are 90% thru completion of a mobile Mexican food truck also. It is a full sized long bed Toyota with a camper house on top. It will travel all over Pattaya and East Pattaya serving nachos, supreme nachos, quessadillas, burritos, tacos, and of course, margaritas. The mobile unit has hot and cold running water, full cooking capability, fridges, etc., so please keep an eye out for our mobile Sunrise Tacos unit coming near you! You can PM me here of course for any further information. It will be available for catering, birthdays, wedding events, home parties, etc. of course. We also have a full catering service for the extended menu.

Thank you everyone,

Kind regards,

Gil

Owner - Sunrise Tacos Pattaya

:thumbsup::D

Gil, God bless you and I'm an atheist!

Here's an idea. How about a loyalty card for us expats? 10 meals over 200 baht, one free?

Expat Tuesdays.

Free guacamole on your burrito.

Your core crowd year round is going to be us expats.

Absolutely! We are working on a loyalty program as we speak. You are 110% correct about keeping business year round. Part of our location search criteria was that we did not want to make a fortune in the high season, only to be deserted come the low season. More news as we continue to progress!

Best,

Gil

Thanks, Gil, for your thoughtful and thorough posting. I for one am very much looking forward to your opening and I hope to become a regular (I live nearby at View Talay 2, have no car and love Mexican food). Please keep us posted with your progress!

Richard

I had the opportunity to try Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok yesterday, at Paragon.

Tried the chicken soft shell tacos. Not impresssed. The chicken was dry and the salsa not spicy.

Went to Mike's tonight for the same as an instant taste comparison and Mike's is far superior.

Juicy chicken with salad and spicy salsa and rice and refried beans.

And it was cheaper.

That's total BS. Sunrise has a wide variety of salsas on offer including a few hot ones. Also a wide choice of MEATS. I haven't liked their tacos much in the past, but their BURRITOS have been close enough to real Calfornia ones to give me a food boner.

Caveat: I have only ever tried their ORIGINAL location.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

That's total BS. Sunrise has a wide variety of salsas on offer including a few hot ones. Also a wide choice of MEATS. I haven't liked their tacos much in the past, but their BURRITOS have been close enough to real Calfornia ones to give me a food boner.

Next ...

How can you say it's BS when you weren't there to eat it?

The may have a wide choice of MEATS (only 2 actually, beef and chicken) but the MEAT I happened to CHOOSE was chicken and it was dry, and the salsa they gave me was not spicy.

Now Sunrise may be more 'authentic' to you but I vote with my taste buds and the tacos in Mike's were much nicer, juicy and with a spicy salsa and I deliberately chose the same dish so as to have a direct comparison.

Edit: I'll give the burritos a try when they open and make the same comparison with Mike's.

Edited by PattayaParent

Next ...

How can you say it's BS when you weren't there to eat it?

The may have a wide choice of MEATS (only 2 actually, beef and chicken) but the MEAT I happened to CHOOSE was chicken and it was dry, and the salsa they gave me was not spicy.

Now Sunrise may be more 'authentic' to you but I vote with my taste buds and the tacos in Mike's were much nicer, juicy and with a spicy salsa and I deliberately chose the same dish so as to have a direct comparison.

Edit: I'll give the burritos a try when they open and make the same comparison with Mike's.

A few suggestions to Gil? My guess is that you do not really care about the "Cheap Charlies," but there may be a larger market than you think for an inexpensive refried bean and cheese burrito, maybe with some Mexican-style ground beef as an option. I have never tried your burrito, but will. Also, I heard that sometimes you make tamale pie (not sure if it is true), but I have never found it on your menu. I love tamale pie but I have never seen it in Thailand. I also love Puerco Pibil (sp?). I think that would make a great taco filling. Finally, I wish you would post a map to the new place. Thanks.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Same soi as Dick's Cafe on the corner of Thappraya.

For what it's worth, I think offering ground beef in Mexican food is a terrible idea.

http://www.dickscafe...n/location.html

Thanks, I know where it is now (a bit east of the arch if traveling from the beach/police stand. Ground beef is not gourmet Mexican for sure (puerco pbil would be). I was thinking about the Cheap Charlie version of a burrito that is sold by a famous food chain with the initials TB. More on real Mexican food. How many real Mexicans live in Jomtien. Please raise your hands. Oh, not one hand going up. The fact is (as you no doubt know) that when you market a product you really have to focus on who will be eating the food (or potentially eating it). Mexicans? No. Americans? Yes but not enough to support a restaurant. Europeans? Yes and lots of them. Thais? Yes and they make up the bulk of the population (probably 95%). So, you have to adjust your menu accordingly. I did like hearing you say that Sunrise makes a good California style burrito, so I will have to check that out.

Yippie!!!!! I really Miss good Mexican food. I am from Colorado and we had a restaurant the did carnitas that were to die for. I will be trying out the menu and sincerely hope it is better than what is on offer currently.

Don't get your hopes up if it's anything like their Bangkok namesakes.

I had the opportunity to try Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok yesterday, at Paragon.

Tried the chicken soft shell tacos. Not impresssed. The chicken was dry and the salsa not spicy.

Went to Mike's tonight for the same as an instant taste comparison and Mike's is far superior.

Juicy chicken with salad and spicy salsa and rice and refried beans.

And it was cheaper.

Touche...but don't tell everyone...they think they're going to get real tasty Tex-Mex from this place :lol:

A few suggestions to Gil? My guess is that you do not really care about the "Cheap Charlies," but there may be a larger market than you think for an inexpensive refried bean and cheese burrito,

The gentleman who started Miguel's Mexican in Chiang Mai told me that if you use the same type of beans as burritos in Califonia, they are quite expensive and the same goes for good cheese. However, that was many years ago, so the situation might have changed.

Instead of everyone speculating about the food at this new restaurant why don't they just wait until it has opened and you form your own opinion good, bad or indifferent. I can't believe there are nearly 120 posts on a restaurant that has not even opened - some people have too much time on their hands?? :whistling:

At the present rate of posting from October 6th to today there will be 300 posts when they open the doors for business around the 3rd week of November.

Edited by gerry53

Instead of everyone speculating about the food at this new restaurant why don't they just wait until it has his opened and you form your own opinion good, bad or indifferent. I can't believe there are nearly 120 posts on a restaurant that has not even opened - some people have too much time on their hands?? :whistling:

Nah, it's just that mucho TV amigos are mui loco for taco's. Arriba & andale... krap!

B)

I can't believe there are nearly 120 posts on a restaurant that has not even opened - some people have too much time on their hands?? :whistling:

Easy answer in my case. Because I have been waiting for decent California style burrito in Pattaya for many years now. So ...