Phuket Foreigners Losing Homes To Con Men

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But surely this is made up - it's too unbelievable to be anything but .............. even in Thailand!

It still amazes me when you tell people the truth, so often they will not believe you :blink:

This is a very old scam and back in the day a women lost her coffee shop (bar)because of it in a town I lived in. That was a thai on thai con job -no farang husband involved.

Buy hey, don't believe what I just told you :ph34r: How can it possiblt be true?

I think I can be of great and charitable assistance to these poor victims. I have a Great Uncle Percy Watoomba who is a royal descendant of the Moola-Moola Tribe of Nigeria. He has asked me to locate someone who could effect a safe-keeping transfer for a sum of Euro 2,000,000 which he just recently learned he is the last remaining descendant the First Royal Family of the Moola-Moola's. All the rest of the royal descendants recently perished in a tragic elephant stampede while they were providing food and shelter to refugees from the Sudan.

For this selfless service, His Grandness Watoomba will provide a Service Stipend to the individual(s) performing this service in the amount of Euro 200,000 in cash.

Please forward me the contact information for these poor souls tricked into signing away their homesteads, and I can remedy their situations by the grace and kindness of Percy Watoomba...

So how am I doing with my "Nigerian Creative Writing 101" class???

Whether or not the story is true, (and it is somewhat believable, except for the part about donating winnings to a temple), then such stories could inspire other Thai chicks to enact it as a ruse to cash out of valuables bought with their elder farang husband's money. In other words, it might give them a way to cash out sooner than waiting for the old man to die.

This is not a new scam. It's only greed that will make anyone fall for it. They just change the way they approach the victim from time to time and from country to country.

This same setup is known as the 'Bangkok card game' and is still being used to con money out of tourists.

And to those still looking for a partner. Before you get involved for real, check first if she likes to gamble.

And to those still looking for a partner. Before you get involved for real, check first if she likes to gamble.

Indeed. I know a couple close to me with these 'issues'. The husband is a dealer in Vegas (they are both Thai). When he came home for a stay, he found the wife sold the car and a few 100k in debt from gambling. Believe the house was pretty noisy for a few days. :D Guess occupational hazard in this case.

There's only one thing to say: You cannot con an honest person.

Oh yes you can. My ex-wife, a Thai Civil engineer with a masters degree living here in Chiang Mai, managed that very carefully and it took her 5 years of undying love to fleece me. I was always open and honest with her (and everyone else) and she was/is deceitful and cunning. So watch out for this woman in Chiang Mai as she finds her next foreigner... to pull the same trick

5 years and you didn't spot any clues? Or did you choose to ignore what was happening?. I think there may be way of describing you other than honest. **nt struck comes to mind which according to the online urban dictionary means "when a guys completly obsessed with the chick he screwing. he follows her around like a lost puppy, and can't notice when she does something wrong" . I think the Thai version is Naa Hee:-)You must have been getting something for your losses or did you spend 5 years getting ripped off and not even getting a decent ride out of it. That would be sad!

Edited by witsawakorn

And then what? Give her the rest of his assets back in home? I think in that case SHE would be the winner isn´t it?? but I understand what you mean. It´s just not that simple.

:blink:

In the blink of an eye, the assets from her husband were frittered away...

Divorce!

How frickin stupid can some people be!!

I think people are being a bit hard on the woman.

My wife and I advertised on the internet to sell some land we had bought in Lamphun.

To cut a long story short, someone (a young attractive female) lured her to a house north of Chiang mai and encouraged my wife to take part in a gambling session that was underway.

Fortunately for us both, she smelt a rat and resisted.

This could happen to anyone!