BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Foreigners Losing Homes To Con Men

I find it difficult to feel sorry for the girl after reading the entire "story"

:clap2:

I'm sorry but you get 'fleeced' like this then you are a f******* muppet and might as well have just given your house and savings away as bother to allow yourself to be put through the trauma of jumping quantum leap style from being a potential house renter to professional gambling syndicate member!!! Cheap Hollywood wannabe film crap, right?.. the ones we don't watch cos the characters and plots are too laughable!!!:wai:

:ph34r::blink::ph34r::violin::coffee1:

I find it difficult to feel sorry for the girl after reading the entire "story"

I couldn't make it through the entire story. :wacko::unsure:

“'A month later, in July, I realized that I had been deceived when the police called me and told me that a gang had defrauded me.'"

It took her a whole month to figure out she had been conned!

I have heard of several gambling scams but they are usually of the standard type where the con team allows the mark to win for a while before turning the tables on them and then turning nasty and issuing threats until they get money from an ATM or something. The interesting feature of this one is that it borrows from the Nigerian letter scam in persuading the mark to enter into a conspiracy to cheat some one else.

Anyway, it is very sad and I feel sorry for the victim. However, I think that a person of normal intelligence would have seen several red light bulbs go on early on in this scam. The set up doesn't sound like a normal set-up where a foreign businessman would want to rent an expensive villa in Phuket and clearly this "wealthy man" was a Thai Chinese. There are in fact hardly any companies employing expats in Phuket on large packages that allow them to pay Bt150,000 a month in rent. Most of the senior expats are hotel GMs who have accommodation provided on site. It didn't sound like a large company office with receptionist and secretaries and a name plate on the wall. No expat pays a whole year's rental upfront or has his male "manager" comb Phuket for villas to rent at over the market price. There is so much supply of that type of accommodation that is already vacant and going for a song. You just walk into any real estate agent and have a wide choice. Thai Chinese simply don't rent other people's villas in Phuket. These factors should have jointly or severally made her very suspicious but the talk of the gambling, showing off cash and finally talking about cheating the "wealthy man" should have made her blurt out some excuse and rush for the exit very fast. If she was still really interested in the deal, she could have made an appointment for the couple to come and see the house and told them she would have her lawyer draft a lease.

There is no mention of the foreign hubby who presumably sunk his savings into the Bt12 million house. The moral of the story is to do whatever you can in the way of 30 year lease or usufruct agreement to make it much harder for the wife to gamble away your house or sell it from under you in whatever way.

Edited by Arkady

This is not a new scam. It's only greed that will make anyone fall for it. They just change the way they approach the victim from time to time and from country to country.

....and then 450 days later after the divorce, she picks up her share of the house money!

...Would any of you be surprised if this was the case?

...no! TIT 55555

I read through this "story" and find it runs very similar to the scam emails one gets. Even to the extent of the bad English used in the "story".

I just find that the whole story sucks and is at all not true. You have the 'rich Chinese man" the Manager, the driver, and the gambling expert.. Purely fiction from a D class novel!

What dam_n rubbish!

There's only one thing to say: You cannot con an honest person.

Oh yes you can. My ex-wife, a Thai Civil engineer with a masters degree living here in Chiang Mai, managed that very carefully and it took her 5 years of undying love to fleece me. I was always open and honest with her (and everyone else) and she was/is deceitful and cunning. So watch out for this woman in Chiang Mai as she finds her next foreigner... to pull the same trick

I feel sorry for her farang husband abroad as I bet you 10 million baht that it was his money that paid for the house.

Who else would have paid for it?

Will anyone really gamble with her hard earned 12 million baht?

Lot of clever farangs out there; are you sure your teeraks can prevent this happening to you? At the end of the day, how much trust can be put in teeraks hands when it comes to your assets (on the simple basis teerak doesn't have your level of education or wealth of experience?). I think the answer is no matter how much you love teerak, you can never fully trust them with your assets?

How does the old say go: never spend more than you can afford to loose?

Edited by MaiChai

There's only one thing to say: You cannot con an honest person.

Oh yes you can. My ex-wife, a Thai Civil engineer with a masters degree living here in Chiang Mai, managed that very carefully and it took her 5 years of undying love to fleece me. I was always open and honest with her (and everyone else) and she was/is deceitful and cunning. So watch out for this woman in Chiang Mai as she finds her next foreigner... to pull the same trick

I'll bet you that she's already found him, just like mine.

lol i had 2 friends who it happened to. 1 in thai and 1 in malaysia.

None of them lost a dime, they were given free cola's and food.. they hadn't failed elementary school though and weren't the kind of people who'd cheat someone.

Glad it happened, karma is good.

... usually I don't mind to see that dumbasses, who come to thailand to get all they want when they want because they got cash to show and believe they're kings, are duped out of their money... but if they're drugged... then that's no-game. not fair. That's cheating.