BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Foreigners Losing Homes To Con Men

I believe this tactic is known as the "fan tan" but I am not really sure;

I was once put into the same position but I was not fleeced becos I was not greedy lol

The same scam was tried on me on Bali, didnt take them up on the "fantastic " offer of easy money.

If you believe any of that rubbish you want your brains examining.

It reads like a story. A childish poorly written one at that.

But why do they print such trash, write such rubbish, think that farangs would believe such a thinly disguised piece of juvenile fiction?

Scams there certainly are but codswallop about simply non-credible gullibility and belief that a seven year old would reject is an insult to the intelligence.

Reject.

Next.

Housepainter, you aint been around, Ive have personal knowledge of this scam, and, i cant spell too good either.

How frickin stupid can some people be!!

As stupid as you or I on GBH.

GBH is colourless and tasteless and was clearly in the glass of water.

It gives the victim total trust.

It is often used in date rape.

A friend of mine went shopping in Panthip plaza

and emerged with his new ipod and laptop and other goodies

in a large shopping bag.

He was targeted by a tuk tuk driver who took him to his house.

There he was also given a glass of water and did not remember much more

except that he gambled and lost everything.

He was not a gambling man.

It is called GHB.

Easy to prove, let her do a hair screening. Then you will know exactly what happened.

....and then 450 days later after the divorce, she picks up her share of the house money!

...Would any of you be surprised if this was the case?

...no! TIT 55555

My thoughts exactly - and less risky than paying someone to throw him off a balcony after he had been drinking.

Have to agree with this theory, the wife definately set this one up with a bit of help from the local mafia or something. I mean who would really swallow this onw whole?! As someone already said, you really couldn't make a 'D' grade movie out this story!

what a plum. i can't really feel sorry for her,she was quite willing to fleece the gambler of all his money,so i think a bit of som nam naa is in order.

I feel sorry for her farang husband abroad as I bet you 10 million baht that it was his money that paid for the house.

"Some people say that the victims like me are stupid, but they have not lived through my experience so they don’t know."

You're not stupid, but your foreign husband might be Pee Baa still staying with you. Guess I know which kind of experience you've lived through. I'm speechless....unsure.gif

How frickin stupid can some people be!!

As stupid as you or I on GBH.

GBH is colourless and tasteless and was clearly in the glass of water.

It gives the victim total trust.

It is often used in date rape.

A friend of mine went shopping in Panthip plaza

and emerged with his new ipod and laptop and other goodies

in a large shopping bag.

He was targeted by a tuk tuk driver who took him to his house.

There he was also given a glass of water and did not remember much more

except that he gambled and lost everything.

He was not a gambling man.

It is called GHB.

Easy to prove, let her do a hair screening. Then you will know exactly what happened.

Guess she went to a temple and cut all her hair already. It's called RFO. ( Ripped Foreigner Off....)jap.gif

There's only one thing to say: You cannot con an honest person.

My GF would run away from them. She's quite intelligent, honest and values what little money she earns.

She might run away from you as well and values what little money she earns....jap.gif

So she knowingly became involved in some card game for high stakes at her own free will believing that she was going to walk away from the scam a lot richer.

The only crime that I can see was committed here, is that gambling is illegal in Thailand, so in fact as a participant of this card game, the woman was also breaking the law.

As for the money, the woman took a gamble and lost, so I cannot understand how she has any legal claims for the return of her money.

If for example the group did manage to cheat the wealthy guy, I am sure that this alleged victim would not have given a rat’s behind about the man and nothing else would have been said about this event. She would now have been counting her ill-gotten gains with great delight.

What goes around, comes around and in this case has snacked her right back in the face.

Serves her bladdy well right, she deserved everything she got.

The poor woman was going to donate the winnings to the temple. Why are you being so callous?

Seriously though, - and maybe I am being the naive one here - if this was a scam to cheat her husband, is it not a pointlessly elaborate one? One that involves too many parties and therefore could easily be exposed or blow up in her face? I mean; why involve the press, even if it is only the crappy Gazette?

If she didn`t want to organise flying lessons or a drive by suicide, why not simply go for the old `sign it over and swear to her dying breath it was nothing to do with her` caper?

Help me out, guys. Where am I going wrong?

if its true and that is a BIG IF, serve you right to own what you had most thai's can only dream about,it is greed,never satisfied,only hope your husband kicks you into touch and you have to go and work.many thai's will read the story but it will only be[ you will never learn]

"they taught me some basic ways of cheating".

Sums it up for me.

Som nom nah

Maybe she was drugged.

Sure, its probably that drug that makes you gullible but doesn't impair your ability to think, listen or even go to an atm and empty your bank account :lol: :lol:

....and then 450 days later after the divorce, she picks up her share of the house money!

...Would any of you be surprised if this was the case?

...no! TIT 55555

My thoughts exactly - and less risky than paying someone to throw him off a balcony after he had been drinking.

Have to agree with this theory, the wife definately set this one up with a bit of help from the local mafia or something. I mean who would really swallow this onw whole?! As someone already said, you really couldn't make a 'D' grade movie out this story!

entirely plausible.

Som Nam Nar!

Every Child knows not buy property in thailand and not fall in love with a thai lady.

The problem seems to be with the adults. :whistling:

This story almost word for word with a few exceptions happened to my wife about a year ago in Hua Hin. Our house was for sale and the driver came saying he had a wealthy Chinese client. He toured the property and said his employer, who was here on business, would love the house and for sure buy it. Then the driver and a very nice hi-so looking woman came back the next day to look again and the woman sat down with us and even negotiated things like what furnishings would go with the house, how it was held (ownership), and what deposit we would require and she seemed totally legitimate. They called my wife the following day (when I was out playing golf) and asked her if she would come to a big resort hotel on the highway between Hua Hin and Cha-Am to meet the Chinese man and negotiate the deal to buy our home. She agreed and they sent the driver to pick her up.

She went and exactly the same scenario happened with a third (scary looking man) and the wealthy man having lost 3 million the day before insisting on gambling again that evening with the money he was going to use to buy our home. She was shown what looked like a bag full of money (had money on top) and he left the room and they proceeded to use exactly the same tactic on my wife to try to get her to learn the gambling game and cheat so that the man would not lose his money and would still be able to buy our home.

My wife refused the water that was offered (it was still given but she did not drink it), and not being a gambler, she also refused the plot and asked to be taken home. At that point she recognized it as a con and was terrified that they would kill her. She convinced them that she had no access to money or gold for their gambling scheme and after they held her for over two hours they had a private chat out of earshot before the woman came to her and told her they would take her home but if she ever said anything about it to anyone they would come after her. She believed that as the third man in the room when she arrived looked (in her words) like a Thai hit man.

The driver brought her home and she reckons she was lucky to get away with her life. I was only home the first two times when the driver and the lady came so I never met the others and I wasn't there to stop her from going with them, but I can say that the driver and the woman were very professional and convincing and we both thought originally that it was a genuine offer of a possible buyer to purchase our home.

As soon as I got home and heard the story, we drove back to the hotel to see if the car that we had seen them in was still there. If it had been I was going to go get the police to come immediately, but it was gone so my wife was to afraid to pursue it further and convinced me that these were very dangerous people.

I give my missus kudos for being honest, not a gambler, and recognizing when something is not right, and using her wits to convince them that she had nothing to offer them.

Edited by hhfarang