BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Foreigners Losing Homes To Con Men

Maybe she was drugged.

Sure, its probably that drug that makes you gullible but doesn't impair your ability to think, listen or even go to an atm and empty your bank account :lol: :lol:

These drugs take away your ability to think rationally. I know some people who have been cheated by drinking some water with additive. Nearly happened to my wife, similar story as reported. Some Thai people phoned to view one of her rental properties, agreed to the price, wanted to pay into her bank account (she told them her bank book was at home), asked her to come back to their hotel room to meet the money man, offered some water and kept her waiting so that she would drink. Big story about boss made a lot of money gambling. My wife had heard of this scam so she took off fast. Reported them to the police but they were long gone from hotel. This story is entirely plausible to me.

Although they are despicable you have to admit that the con men are smart in identifying the target of farangs' Thai wives who have costly houses and land in their names paid for by their husbands. They usually have only basic education and are quite naive, so they aren't at all suspicious when some one comes up with a very far fetched story about a rich Chinaman (who turns out to be an obvious Thai Chinese that probably can only speak a few words of kitchen Teochew and no Mandarin) wanting to pay over the odds to buy or rent their house. Many are also quite willing to do something deceitful regarding their husbands without a second thought. Maybe they are given "date rape" type drugs but many are naive enough not to need them and it is natural to claim being drugged to explain being taken for such a fool. I would think that the drugs might impair the marks' ability to perform the series of actions needed to raise cash quickly in order to participate in the swindle. The crooks also risk unintentionally killing them. It is interesting that all the victims seem to jump at the chance of renting out or selling their family home paid for 100% by their husbands, rather than just saying, "You'll have to talk to my husband about that" - end of story.

Plausible story, the wife within or not.

If the wife has the possibility to sale the house or give as a loan, she do not need to kill her husband, boyfriiend as some believe.

She could just do that sale without a scam. Or she want to try to keep him to take more money out of him, if she is in the story to.

Reminds me of the old scam with the "Blackened Dollars",

which had been hiding somewhere long time from CIA or so on and need only to be washed with the right ingridience-substance-formula

and are than useable Dollars again. Many did also fall for that one.rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

One correction to my story above. I was just talking to my wife about it and she said they called and picked her up early right after I left to play golf (maybe they were even watching and waiting for me to leave). Anyway, they kept and harassed her with the con for almost five hours instead of two as I said (nearly the entire time I was gone).

Very scary for her indeed. Before that, the only time I turned my mobile phone off (while away from the wife) was on the golf course as nothing is more annoying that a ringing mobile and the ensuing conversation while you are waiting to putt or tee off. She knew that so knew that she could not reach me, but after that incident I keep it on even during golf.

This is a very common scam - being induced into a "can't loose" card game to rip off an old wealthy person , usually somebody that the victim can't feel any empathy for and then let the greed do the rest. Check out bkk scams for versions of it . If you are greedy and without scrupples then it is easy to fall for it - wether you are drugged or not.

....and then 450 days later after the divorce, she picks up her share of the house money!

...Would any of you be surprised if this was the case?

...no! TIT 55555

Probably much closer to the truth!

I returned to Thailand a few months ago to find my Thai wife of 6 years had bank financed our paid off car and gambled away $12,000 US.

Said something about her girlfriend and her were "setting up the victim" Didn't work.Now she is mad at the girlfriend-I told her it was her car and her problem when she asked me to pay the bank.

I have filed for divorce b4 she gets everything I own- It's all true about these women.

Similar thing happened to me in Manila about 15 years ago lost $4000.

A friend of mine lost around 6000Euros in Bangkok the same way.

I could not believe after he told me his story I knew right away it was a Scam but at that Point he did not even realize it a 100%

On thing is for sure these Guys are very convincing

his story was not exactly the same but in some Points very similar teaching basic Skills etc..

Probably much closer to the truth!

I returned to Thailand a few months ago to find my Thai wife of 6 years had bank financed our paid off car and gambled away $12,000 US.

Said something about her girlfriend and her were "setting up the victim" Didn't work.Now she is mad at the girlfriend-I told her it was her car and her problem when she asked me to pay the bank.

I have filed for divorce b4 she gets everything I own- It's all true about these women.

Good on you for not just coughing up like the mug you would have been if you had. What a laughing stock you would have become locally!

I wonder what the [soon to be ex?] husband will do in this case.

Maybe she was drugged.

Sure, its probably that drug that makes you gullible but doesn't impair your ability to think, listen or even go to an atm and empty your bank account :lol: :lol:

These drugs take away your ability to think rationally. I know some people who have been cheated by drinking some water with additive. Nearly happened to my wife, similar story as reported. Some Thai people phoned to view one of her rental properties, agreed to the price, wanted to pay into her bank account (she told them her bank book was at home), asked her to come back to their hotel room to meet the money man, offered some water and kept her waiting so that she would drink. Big story about boss made a lot of money gambling. My wife had heard of this scam so she took off fast. Reported them to the police but they were long gone from hotel. This story is entirely plausible to me.

So what could this "mystery drug" be? :blink:

I ain't buying it

Twenty odd years ago,I got targeted for a gambling scam by a pretty Malaysian girl in a Singapore shopping centre. Never having heard of such scams before it took a little time for the penny to drop. But my red light came on as soon as gambling was mentioned as I have never gambled except for a bit of fun. I quite firmly stated that I didn't gamble,carried small money and wouldn't be buying any gold with my Visa as suggested.

I just remained very polite and firm and they gave up.

it has been described as "very easy to add to drinks"[28] that mask the flavor.
GHB, produced as a sodium salt (sodium oxybate), may provide a noticeable salty character to the drink

This from your article; seems unlikely this would be un-noticible in a glass of plain water. If they were really using this drug then they would probably be sophisticated enough to put it in a drink that "masks the flavor" as your article quotes.

So what could this "mystery drug" be? :blink:

I ain't buying it

GHB (Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid) - http://www.google.co...kT0qanQBo5DhybQ

I think most people have taken ghb in their youths and its just an excuse like when a woman says 'oh i blacked out because i had 3 large beers, i didnt mean to cheat). GHB isnt that strong by itself unless you take a shitload and then you're just unconcious. a good dose is like taking a few beers, not in shape to play a card game if you're a woman and definitely unable to get to a bank and withdraw money. People say that you become trusting on GHB, you really dont, you're just too out of it to move the penis out of your vagina once it goes in.

As I had never gambled before, they taught me some basic ways of cheating.

the manager suggested that the four of us come up with 10 million baht, cheat the man out of all his money, and divide up the winnings

I may be kind-hearted < really???

the having gold to sell and get all her money out of savings while the 'wealthy man' her new bf? was out of the room is a mystery?