BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket Foreigners Losing Homes To Con Men

This is not a new scam. It's only greed that will make anyone fall for it. They just change the way they approach the victim from time to time and from country to country.

Anyone that has seen "The Sting", (Rboert Redford Paul Newman ) must see the similarity .Just because you get conned in Thailand does not mean theese local guys don't know how to pull off a conviincing scam.BEWARE

There's only one thing to say: You cannot con an honest person.

Simply a dumb cliché. You can play on a person's virtues just as easily as their weaknesses. Ain't you ever listened to a politician speak?

Som Nam Nar!

Every Child knows not buy property in thailand and not fall in love with a thai lady.

The problem seems to be with the adults. :whistling:

Yup. :clap2:

Probably much closer to the truth!

I returned to Thailand a few months ago to find my Thai wife of 6 years had bank financed our paid off car and gambled away $12,000 US.

Said something about her girlfriend and her were "setting up the victim" Didn't work.Now she is mad at the girlfriend-I told her it was her car and her problem when she asked me to pay the bank.

I have filed for divorce b4 she gets everything I own- It's all true about these women.

As a prominent Thai journalist at the BKK post writes, "cheating and corruption at every level of society, incompetence is the sum of our failures"

I believe all the scenarios suggested here are possible.

Is it not true that boiler room scams conned " westerners" out of big bucks? Supposedly the loot was used to open bars. If westerners can be scammed, and they are, anything is possible.

I believe there is a high % of women that will scam you, albeit bar girls have a higher rate. Thai men will also scam each other as reported by a Thai friend conned by his high school classmate (40 years later)

I think part of what Thai women may do is believe there is an endless supply of money from the BF/ husband, especially if they lack personal development and financial skills (budgeting/ saving) Think about it, many of these women only watch TV cartoons and/ or the idiotic soap operas.

Even the current Prime Minister did not get legally married but has a common law husband. Perhaps related to fear of financial loss.

How frickin stupid can some people be!!

As stupid as you or I on GBH.

GBH is colourless and tasteless and was clearly in the glass of water.

It gives the victim total trust.

It is often used in date rape.

A friend of mine went shopping in Panthip plaza

and emerged with his new ipod and laptop and other goodies

in a large shopping bag.

He was targeted by a tuk tuk driver who took him to his house.

There he was also given a glass of water and did not remember much more

except that he gambled and lost everything.

He was not a gambling man.

Well she she seams to remember everything more like greed than GHB

in a large shopping bag.

This is just getting ridiculous; no drug (including GHB) can do this to people. If it could, people would be spiking everyone's drink and having them emptying their bank accounts.

This is a perfect example of how gullible people can be; case in point.

This is just getting ridiculous; no drug (including GHB) can do this to people. If it could, people would be spiking everyone's drink and having them emptying their bank accounts.

Might be rediculous to you but I have spoken to respectable Thai people who have themselves emptied their bank account and given to another person. And I am not talking about Thai ladies married to a Farang. I am talking about respectable business people. It does happen. And more often than you might think as many people duped don't want to talk about it.

Might be rediculous to you but I have spoken to respectable Thai people who have themselves emptied their bank account and given to another person. And I am not talking about Thai ladies married to a Farang. I am talking about respectable business people. It does happen. And more often than you might think as many people duped don't want to talk about it.

Perhaps weak minded people, but I still don't buy it. People will always look for some way to avoid accepting responsibility for their actions.

Why don't we do a test in a controlled environment, if you win you can have the paltry sum in my bank account :lol:

"they taught me some basic ways of cheating".

Sums it up for me.

Som nom nah

Maybe she was drugged.

No, she was just greedy and incredibly stupid. How many times have any of you heard the 'gave me a glass of water' crap? A Thai friend of mine's sister even managed to get herself to her bank in CM and draw out 5 mil for a gang.

Anyone have some of that magic water? Christ.

Edited by evanson

Perhaps weak minded people, but I still don't buy it. People will always look for some way to avoid accepting responsibility for their actions.

Why don't we do a test in a controlled environment, if you win you can have the paltry sum in my bank account :lol:

Exactly. Many of you forget how unbelievably superstitious and gullible even the highest of hi so's are.

It is interesting that all the victims seem to jump at the chance of renting out or selling their family home paid for 100% by their husbands, rather than just saying, "You'll have to talk to my husband about that" - end of story.

This.

Typical Thai, she has everything and more life here in Thailand could have her to offer and it STILL IS NOT ENOUGH. Why not cheat and steal some more. Glad she lost it all at her own Thai game.

blah blah blah.

lambs to the slauter.

Old old scam here in los. maybe on a bigger scale. I knew people who were experts. Taken it up a level now.

Sorry but, som na nai.

Sounds like GREED rears its head again - some are not happy with everything they have been GIVEN!!! - think about and remember all men who have given! its a matter of time before the love of your life comes up with an IDEA

I know as do others!

p.s. my wife aint from any bar

mine not either niether is my fiends :D big nose!

How frickin stupid can some people be!!

in a large shopping bag.

some very smart people here. shoe laces and tieing seems relevent here