1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River

george

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea.

What if everybody in bangkok turned on their taps over night. That would drain all the water from the dams, releasing the strain on the river, and the problem would be solved :lol::lol::lol:

I also have a perpetual motion pump for sale. You can power it from the river flow and use it to pump the water downstream.

Another reminder of what I was told growing up. "Engage brain before disengaging mouth!"

Plus I am going to say it before anyone else....... Why dont everybody get the fans they have and stick them outside and turn them on so we can lower the temperature in Bangkok for the tourists?! This will work I know it will!

ummm...what about the left and right sides of the river?

Hope those soi dogs know how to surf....This really has to be the stupidest thing I've heard during the 15 years I've been in LOS.

You'd have to be travelling at the speed of sound for it to be effective.

Where's the moron smiley when you need it?

It surpasses the previous stupidest idea... which, coincidentally, was by the same man... so now he's got #1 and #2

podpasob.jpg

Pheu Thai Party-list MP and former Chiang Mai Night Safari Project Director, Plodprasop Suraswadi

Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo, Eat lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe meat

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of “wild” cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai’s Night Safari opens next year, Project Director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park’s Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an “Exotic Buffet” of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

Edited by Buchholz

ummm...what about the left and right sides of the river?

Hope those soi dogs know how to surf....This really has to be the stupidest thing I've heard during the 15 years I've been in LOS.

You'd have to be travelling at the speed of sound for it to be effective.

Where's the moron smiley when you need it?

It surpasses the previous stupidest idea... which, coincidentally, was by the same man... so now he's got #1 and #2

podpasob.jpg

Pheu Thai Party-list MP and former Chiang Mai Night Safari Project Director, Plodprasop Suraswadi

Chiang Mai Safari: Rare Animals On The Menu At Zoo, Eat lion, tiger, elephant, giraffe meat

CHIANG MAI: -- Visitors offered daily buffet of lion, tiger, elephant and giraffe meat; conservation groups outraged. Lovers of "wild" cuisine are in for a treat when Chiang Mai's Night Safari opens next year, Project Director Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday. Visitors to the park's Vareekunchorn restaurant will have the option of tucking in to an "Exotic Buffet" of tiger, lion, elephant and giraffe, for just Bt4,500 a head.

http://www.thaivisa....post__p__549707

m-o-s-t-600.png

Don't miss the: MINISTRY OF SILLY TALKS Roadshow...

there is a nice little peace about this in German at:

Why don't they cover the river in aviation fuel and set fire to it. Won't that absorb some of the water?

Also, surely Loy Kratong will be cancelled this year if the prayers to river gods don't reap rewards. Or, perhaps if Loy Krathong is brought forward to tomorrow, everyone can push the nasty river water out to sea with their bread and sytrofoam krathongs. I am eagerly waiting for my call from the flood war-room. At your service sexy PM.

How deep is the river I wonder when it is at full flood. At best 1000 boats tied in place and turning their props will assuredly increase the flow of water where the boats actually are but how far in front and behind them will it have much affect. the energy will be dissipated pretty quickly I would imagine and in any case not affect the full depth of water. If you had boats in sets across the river turning their props spaced about 100m apart then maybe some effect would be noticed - but this river is very long and you would need 1,000 boats every mile or so to have any chance. This is just a non starter and I wonder where the 'scientific' analysis has come from the Science Minister must undoubtedly be relying on. Not sure this minister is in the right ministry!

..how about a thousand submarines under the surface, or 10,000 water buffaloes all kicking in unison!

Edited by rodcourt49

The series of shots shows the construction of LA's flood control channel, it's finished operation during non flood periods, and fully functioning during flood conditions. The bottom shot show a channel which is not lined with concrete.

post-116788-0-89596100-1318082321_thumb.

The top shot is the original LA River, which was paved over (very early shot, notice the old car on the right). It would have been better to allow some leakage back into the ground along the way, like the bottom picture which is the San Gabriel river. Both have dams at the base of the mountains which act as part time flood collectors and most time recreational areas. Even Sepulveda Dam (seen in many commercials and TV shows) is a flood control (usually) dry dam.

In the old times in areas like Thailand or Egypt, flooding was good for the fields as new rich silt was deposited to make farming better. Now with the control of the rivers, more silt goes out to sea, in Egypt the Aswan dam collects the silt, probably making the situation worse by raising the seabed, reducing the flow, like what happens in the US by New Orleans.

River management and flood mitigation are expensive and often have unintended consequences. Building for the eventual Maximum flood is more expensive, and usually not approved due to costs. And large projects often, regardless of where you live, are breeding grounds of corruption.

How deep is the river I wonder when it is at full flood. At best 1000 boats tied in place and turning their props will assuredly increase the flow of water where the boats actually are but how far in front and behind them will it have much affect. the energy will be dissipated pretty quickly I would imagine and in any case not affect the full depth of water. If you had boats in sets across the river turning their props spaced about 100m apart then maybe some effect would be noticed - but this river is very long and you would need 1,000 boats every mile or so to have any chance. This is just a non starter and I wonder where the 'scientific' analysis has come from the Science Minister must undoubtedly be relying on. Not sure this minister is in the right ministry!

..how about a thousand submarines under the surface, or 10,000 water buffaloes all kicking in unison!

Empty the river using the condoms handed out, and if the condoms run out, use the plastic boots handed out by the PM

FLOOD CRISIS

Chao Phraya armada planned to rush river water out to sea

The Nation on Sunday

30167191-01.jpg

Govt plan to mass hundreds of boats on Tuesday to try to speed up flow of excess water into the Gulf

A fleet of about 1,000 boats will be assembled in an attempt to speed the flow of water from the flood-swollen Chao Phraya River into the sea on Tuesday, Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadi said yesterday.

At an event held to announce the effort at Nonthaburi's Pak Kred Pier, which was joined by 40 boats, Plodprasop said the volunteer project would triple the rate of drainage from 2 knots to 6 knots, helping to prevent floodwater from pouring into Bangkok.

He said that by pushing water down river and out to sea at a faster rate, the 1,000-strong fleet would also help to ease flooding in riverside provinces such as Sing Buri, Angthong and Ayutthaya.

Plodprasop urged more owners of large vessels to join the project, in which the government will pay for the gasoline used.

He also urged police to be more lenient about letting sand trucks move around unrestricted, because flood-affected people needed to build sandbag barriers.

Dismissing an allegation that upcountry provinces had been allowed to flood in order to spare Bangkok, Plodprasop said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) had opened the Klong Saen Saeb sluice gates to allow flood water to drain through Bangkok into the Gulf of Thailand.

As floodwater could also be drained through the Tha Chin River, he said, the government was ready to negotiate with the Tha Chin Conservation Club to dig a canal to the river, similar to Samut Prakan's Klong Lad Pho project.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday inspected the Charoenrat Water Pumping Station in Tambon Klong Dan of Samut Prakan's Bang Bo district.

Yingluck said she instructed Samut Prakan's governor to cooperate with the Armed Forces Development Command to dredge five canals within 10 days.

Yingluck said she was confident the BMA's existing facilities could handle the flooding, adding that she had instructed governors of nearby provinces to get local agencies to clear hyacinth weeds blocking waterways.

Hundreds of water pumps

She said she would assess the flood situation regularly, especially mid-month when the volume of water arriving in the capital from the North is expected to increase to as-yet-undetermined level.

Some 300-400 water pumps have been placed in eastern and western districts of Bangkok and 90 boats enlisted to drain runoff water into the sea.

Royal Irrigation Department chief Chalit Damrongsak said speeding up of floodwater drainage could be organised quickly now, but would be more difficult during the high-tide period from October 13 to October 17. Officials would do their best, he said.

In regard to complaints that the government's "1111" hotline for flood victims was inaccessible, Yingluck said she would ask the Information and Communications Technology Ministry and TOT Plc to provide more telephone lines, as there were now only 200 in service.

Later yesterday, Flood Relief Operations Command spokesman Wim Rungwattanajinda announced that victims could call for help at cell-phone signal operators' call

centres for free, as well as the 191 hotline, so that the command could help them in a timely fashion.

He urged people to donate items such as eye drops, baby-milk

powder, flat-bottomed boats and dried and ready-to-eat food to the command, based in Don Mueang Airport's Domestic Terminal.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-09

Wow they're actually going ahead with this sadly embarrassing folly then.

It would seem so....

In the past I have been an advocate of letting Thailand persue commerical nuclear power if it so desired, but seeing as any commerical nuclear development plan would have the esteemed minister of science involved, I think I will withdraw my support for commerical nuclear development in Thailand while the esteemed Khun Plopadrop is in office...:jap:

I really hope they put some measuring devices out there so this can be verified or busted. Of course it would help if the results were honest.

The idea sounds dumb but at a certain scale it has a chance. If you put 100 boats in a small canal and they all went full throttle, you would expect the water to speed up.

But I doubt you can have any measurable effect on a large river with 1000 boats

Maybe seeing a 1000 boats go fast upstream :D