Asiabooks In Chiang Rai?

Tokker

No Asia Books here - just DK (at the town end of Old Airport Road). Asia Books has kiosks at Ran Nai Inn (across from Wiang Inn, and perhaps our most popular bookseller), the photoshop by the entrance to the Night Bazaar and the Rimkok Hotel (across the river Kok).

• 2 weeks later...
There's a Se Ed book store in the Big C center....also a book store on the corner of the really busy intersection near the high quality internet shop.....sorry I can't be more specific.

I think you mean the one opposite the church where the AA has its meetings every Monday at 7 o'clock. So in most bars you will find somebody who can show you where it is.

They don't have may books in English.

Besides DK also the oldest bookshop in town, at the Tannalai Road, can be recommended. Nice atmosphere, old style bookshop-like.

Mumbojumbo's Gare Garon might be the number 1 concerning English language books.

A good and relevant selection, no nonsense. New and second hand.

The ladies who are running it are doing a fine job.

Upstairs they organize art exhibitions. Modern work, off the beaten paths.

Refreshing!

They also do translations and interpreting work.

Keep an eye on this place.

At the Yedyod street (the 'nice' part of it, almost next to the famous Kao soi kai shop) they have a 'sistershop', alias thee-house. New age style. Unique for Chiang Rai.

Limbo.

• 4 weeks later...
Gare Garon on Main N/S road-north from Edison a couple shops has some. :o

Yes Mumbojumbo, it isn't easy to describe where Gare Garon is.

I guess it is about twenty meters from 'The Old Dutch', the old style Dutch pub and restaurant at the main street. In the direction of Bo's Place and at the same side of the street.

It's here where our Canadian friend Robert Potter will show his artworks. From 16 December 2005 about 19.00 o'clock (believe it or not, we are welcome!).

Limbo.

Gare Garon on Main N/S road-north from Edison a couple shops has some. :o

Yes Mumbojumbo, it isn't easy to describe where Gare Garon is.

I guess it is about twenty meters from 'The Old Dutch', the old style Dutch pub and restaurant at the main street. In the direction of Bo's Place and at the same side of the street.

It's here where our Canadian friend Robert Potter will show his artworks. From 16 December 2005 about 19.00 o'clock (believe it or not, we are welcome!).

Limbo.

It may be worth poiting out that Gare Garon, as well as possibly other bookstores as well will order books for you, from Asia Books in Bangkok. Takes about a week to get here.

• 4 months later...

Monday (tomorrow) May 1st at 7 pm an exhibition of oil-paintings will be opened at Gare Garon (the one almost next to 'The Old Dutch'.

The exhibition is called 'The Beginning', because it is the first exhibition of the female artist from Chiang Rai who made the paintings.

Tomorrow we will know more about her and her work.

One thing we know already is that she must be a courageous lady to show her work at such an early stage. And that the curators of the gallery of Gare Garon are courageous enough to give her the opportunity to do so.

I, from my side, am not courageous, but curious for sure!

Limbo :o

Monday (tomorrow) May 1st at 7 pm an exhibition of oil-paintings will be opened at Gare Garon (the one almost next to 'The Old Dutch'.

The exhibition is called 'The Beginning', because it is the first exhibition of the female artist from Chiang Rai who made the paintings.

Tomorrow we will know more about her and her work.

One thing we know already is that she must be a courageous lady to show her work at such an early stage. And that the curators of the gallery of Gare Garon are courageous enough to give her the opportunity to do so.

I, from my side, am not courageous, but curious for sure!

Since it is her first exhibition the paintings might be affordable as well!

See you there Limbo,

:D Mymechew

Gare Garon on Main N/S road-north from Edison a couple shops has some. :D

Hey Jumbo...just love your avatar..it's great.

Where/when can I see the lovely elephant perform? :o

LaoPo

Since it is her first exhibition the paintings might be affordable as well!

See you there Limbo,

:D Mymechew

I didn't even have a look at the prices, so overwhelmed I was by the spectacular spectrum of fresh, alive and kicking colors which I to my pleasant surprise was confronted with.

Busy as I always am :D I arrived a little bit late at the vernissage last night so I didn't have the opportunity to congratulate the artist with her beautiful work.

I still don't know her name, just the color of her hair and eyes I can guess: She is a Thai resident of Chiang Rai!

Normally spoken you refer to parents and grandparents when you consider a painter to be a scion of a family of artists. The lady exhibiting her first years work at the galery of Gare Garon turns things around: She is the mother of an artist and the mother-in-law of Angkrit Ajcharyasophon, one of the few internationally oriented artists of Chiang Rai.

And now she turned artist herself!

The curators of Gare Garon create a special atmosphere for their galery. They are not looking for gain by promoting 'arrived' artists, they give space to new ideas, to new approaches.

They deserve our highest esteem!

post-6305-1146577982_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1146577918_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1146577855_thumb.jpg