627 Bangkok Communities Under Water

webfact

627 Bangkok communities under water

The Nation

30167721-01.jpg

As of press time yesterday, 627 communities had been flooded in Bangkok, with water levels as high as 70 centimetres in some spots. These flood-hit areas are in 20 of Bangkok's 50 districts.

The worst-hit spots are in Klong Sam Wa district in the east of Bangkok, where flood levels range between 30cm and 70cm. Some zones in inner Bangkok, such as Phra Nakhon, Dusit, Sathorn and Yan Nawa, are also flooded.

Officials of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) are rushing to pile up sandbags along waterways that look set to swell or overflow. They are also handing out relief items, including medicines, to flood victims.

The BMA has designated 96 schools in 17 districts as possible shelters for up to 19,400 evacuees.

Masses of water are expected to hit the capital from the North today and downpours have also been forecast.

After checking the level of the Chao Phraya River near the capital's largest flower market, Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said it was higher yesterday than the 2010 peak.

"It has risen to 2.13 metres above the median sea level," he said.

Last year, the river's highest level in Bangkok stood at just 2.10 metres.

"We have to get ready to evacuate people living near the embankments," Sukhumbhand said, adding that the situation would be most worrying from today to Monday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-15

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Military wants PM to declare state of emergency in capital

The Nation

30167735-01.jpg

Military leaders were forming a consensus yesterday to ask the prime minister to declare a state of emergency in order to increase the efficiency of efforts to protect the capital from flooding, a source said.

The move came after angry residents, particularly in Pathum Thani, which is immediately upriver from Bangkok, destroyed walls of sandbags built to protect important areas.

Runoff from upstream provinces flooded Pathum Thani's business district yesterday, with some areas submerged under a metre of water.

The flood level on Pattana Samphan Road in Muang district stood at about a metre, while it was higher at the Charoen Phol Market. Several roads were impassable and residents had to take boats to get around.

Provincial authorities advised local residents to move to a shelter set up at Pathum Wilai School, which should be able to accommodate some 600 people. The shelter saw at least 40 evacuees yesterday.

Military trucks and fourwheeldrive vehicles were used to evacuate people from flooded housing estates, such as Muban Parichart.

Dry spots became scarce for people to park their cars, and motorists had to leave their vehicles on bridges.

Traffic on passable or partially inundated roads became congested, with particularly severe jams near the Pathum Thani Provincial Organisation office and Pathum Thani Hospital.

Severe flooding forced 15 banks in Pathum Thani to be closed yesterday, up from nine on Thursday, according to the Bank of Thailand, which reported that 108 bank branches had suspended their services as of yesterday.

Another 56 bank branches in Ayutthaya have been temporarily closed, 31 in Nakhon Sawan, two in Sing Buri, and one each in Chai Nat, Nonthaburi, Lop Buri and Bangkok (Krung Thai Bank's Lat Krabang branch).

In Nakhon Sawan, the flooding worsened yesterday, with water levels remaining high and the province's business and administrative areas heavily inundated.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra visited Pathum Thani, immediately upriver from Bangkok, to inspect the flooding situation yesterday. Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, who is leading the Flood Relief Operation Centre, and Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra accompanied the premier.

During his briefing, Pathum Thani Governor Pirasak Hinmuangkao told Yingluck that the existing flood embankments would be made 30 centimetres higher. The embankments are more than 50cm higher than the water levels.

Meanwhile, Rangsit Canal in Pathum Thani overflowed and partly flooded the outbound sections of VibhavadiRangsit Road yesterday, from the Si Mum Muang Market to Future Park department store. The road in front of Rangsit University was also flooded.

Pathum Thani Hospital director Dr Songpol Chawatanpipat yesterday warned residents to watch out for venomous snakes, adding that seven people were admitted on Thursday night alone with snake bites.

Residents of the White House estate in Pathum Thani, which was badly inundated in 1995 when its flood embankments collapsed, remained hopeful yesterday that they would be able to prevent a recurrence.

Though many residents have moved their belongings out of the housing estate, several are still keeping a close watch on the flood barriers. Local administrator Pichet Harnjangsit said the embankments should be strong enough to withstand the water pressure.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-15

So 3 different opinions it seems, pm says bkk will be safe, govenor not so sure and now the military calling for emergency measures.

Glad to see we are all on the same page.

In other news, tide is coming back in and river is rising as expected-looks similar to yesterday.

I suspect that there's a lot more breaking down barriers than is being reported. The PM mentioned it several times in her speech the other day.

People who have been submerged for weeks are getting to be very resentful of their neighbors who are still dry and protected, so they are knocking down the barriers that keep the water on their land.:ermm:

I suspect that there's a lot more breaking down barriers than is being reported. The PM mentioned it several times in her speech the other day.

People who have been submerged for weeks are getting to be very resentful of their neighbors who are still dry and protected, so they are knocking down the barriers that keep the water on their land.:ermm:

Yea there are two sides to the coin. But flooding others will only mean that the relief when it comes will cost more and take longer.

But people are resenting the PM for protecting BKK, will cost her votes.

Yeah, pretty pointless to put up bags if you can't keep an eye on them. At some of my properties, some neighbors haven't put up much more than a few layers of sandbags. A lot of shops are charging up to 70-80 Baht, almost as much as a bag of cheap rice for a bag of sand now. X 500-600 bags, that's a lot of money for a lot of people.

:)

Yea there are two sides to the coin. But flooding others will only mean that the relief when it comes will cost more and take longer.

will cost her votes. I woudn't count on it. Denizens of the realm have notoriously short memories. 'TIT'

will cost her votes. I woudn't count on it. Denizens of the realm have notoriously short memories. 'TIT'

Pity though,

The farmers who voted now suffer, I do not think the populist policies will go through, the rice scheme,,, Hmmmm let's see what happens after the floods have cleared. People in my area that voted are all starting to comment how they now think she is no better than the democrats for not caring about anyone else and why didn't they manage the water earlier???

Some scars heal quick and others don't

No, no, no. Will gain her votes in BKK where they need them. Those outside BKK will forget before the next election or be bought off with some bribe of a policy that won't be delivered anyway.

No it won't: She'll promise 400 Baht minimum salary, a tablet pc for every child and that in 6 month everyone will be rich and the sheeps will vote for her again.

That way it worked in every democracy the last 100 years. People just don't remember longer than 6 month.

In similar flooding situations I have witnessed in the US, it is not unusual, it is in fact common for the government to call up National Guard forces to aid in construction, rescue, evacuation, sheltering efforts. Only the military has the cross regional organization, equipment, manpower and bases of operation to offer any really coordinated assistance to those millions affected by these floods.

edit: Also I love that first photo, showing the spirit of Thai people to face their challenges, often with no government assistance whatsoever.

Edited by serenitynow

So 3 different opinions it seems, pm says bkk will be safe, govenor not so sure and now the military calling for emergency measures.

In other news, tide is coming back in and river is rising as expected-looks similar to yesterday.

Now why would you think that they would be on the same page??? That's ridiculous: PT is in charge, but the Dem. governor wants his party to gain face so he sits on the fence uncommitted, and (of course) the military want to be in charge again with their puppet PM...

I must say I have seen some great display of coming together and effort from the Thai people inj my neighborhood.

I have also seen some amazing display of feeding from the situation and making money any way possible.

True anarchy rules this situation, as it shows nobody has a clue.

The Nation

The move came after angry residents, particularly in Pathum Thani, which is immediately upriver from Bangkok, destroyed walls of sandbags built to protect important areas.

Seriously, what's the military going to do with a state of emergency: use snipers to murder any residents who try to destroy embankments?

The Nation

Seriously, what's the military going to do with a state of emergency: use snipers to murder any residents who try to destroy embankments?

As i believe it the military has no power to stop civilians. As it has no right to detain them even if they start destroying barriers. So a state of emergency would give them powers to do something.

I do wonder why the army isn't just helping, but i think they are not allowed.

so the military wants more power under an " emergency decree" . Can somone explain to me how just saying "OK now its an emergency" will make anything change. will the water suddenly run off faster. Will people instantly all get a boat to go to dry ground with? Just doesnt make sense to me. If there is assistance that the military, goverment or anyone can give what does it matter if they call a "state of emergency" or call it a dam BBQ dinner for that matter. It seems to me the military just wants to have special powers to phuk with people. maybe they will find someone they can blame the floods on and take care of him with a snipers round. Wouldnt they all be so proud then!

As for the people that are having to deal with flooded houses I feel there pain and hope all turns out well. eventually the water will go away and things will get back to " normal".

and still, the baht remains unchanged.

Food in the market where my g/f lives and her mother grows and seels her farm products, prices have at least doubled on everything she sells. She is located on high ground, no flooding. How can Baht remain the same when up to half the country's industry is shut down for one reason or another, and costs are starting to soar for the more of basic items, FOOD.

It's all about face. No emergency will be declared.

Crazy, they should keep people from breaking down sandbag barriers. That is an army job.

The problem is who decides where to build the sandbag barriers?

Personally I would have thought that it would be better to position them so that water was directed to places where it could cause least damage and run off towards lower ground as soon as possible rather than trying to contain it. Better to flood an large area with 50cm of water than a much smaller area with 1 meter of water?

Just my thoughts

jb1

In similar flooding situations I have witnessed in the US, it is not unusual, it is in fact common for the government to call up National Guard forces to aid in construction, rescue, evacuation, sheltering efforts. Only the military has the cross regional organization, equipment, manpower and bases of operation to offer any really coordinated assistance to those millions affected by these floods.

I would not compare the US Army and the Thai Army the same day. I think the US Army has some training and most of the officers have some common sense.

:(:unsure::blink:

I just came back from silom, a little more water around saphan taksin pier, but silom not a drop. Didn't see bkbank constructing the 2 meter high wall someone tweeted about.

Btw, foodland patpong soi 2 has lots of canned fish etc that tops I went to yesterday @ charoenkrung robinsons didn't.

Now why would you think that they would be on the same page??? That's ridiculous: PT is in charge, but the Dem. governor wants his party to gain face so he sits on the fence uncommitted, and (of course) the military want to be in charge again with their puppet PM...

I guess you wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped you in the face?

Yes, PT is in charge and making an incredible mess of things. Science minister screams "EVACUATE", Justice Minister says "Ignore that moron", and PM goes off to cry. Yeah, PT really inspires confidence in their handling of this crisis... NOT!

I'm glad to know that the authorities in Bangkok are not relying on PT to protect the city.

Thai Military is already doing a lot to evacuate people, distribute aid and fortify and protect flood barriers. They could do more, but PM refuses to declare a state of emergency.

Shocking incompetence and zero accountability.

TiT :jap:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Nervous Bangkok on alert for floods

by Janesara Fugal

BANGKOK, October 15, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand fought to hold back floodwaters flowing towards Bangkok Saturday as a spring tide hindered efforts to protect the city of 12 million people from the kingdom's worst inundation in decades.

The authorities appeared to be winning the battle, with no reports of major flooding in inner Bangkok, which is ringed by flood walls, leaving areas outside the main city to bear the brunt of the rising waters.

"We must try to protect our economic zone including Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi Airport, industrial areas and evacuation centres," said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Sandbags have been piled alongside rivers and canals and the authorities have been racing to repair a dyke that burst on Thursday, causing a brief scare in suburbs in the north of the capital.

The floods, several metres deep in places, are currently affecting about one third of Thailand's provinces and have damaged the homes or livelihoods of millions of people and left at least 297 people dead.

About 110,000 people around the country have sought refuge in shelters in the face of waters that have destroyed crops and inundated hundreds of factories in industrial parks north of Bangkok.

"People have been affected by floods for three months now. The government understands that and is trying to drain the water as soon as possible," Yingluck said.

"This incident is one of Thailand's biggest and most severe losses in history. The government will not forget the people's grievances."

She said foreign governments including China, Japan and the United States were giving financial or logistical support for the relief operations.

Conditions in inner Bangkok and at most of Thailand's top tourist destinations are mostly normal and Suvarnabhumi Airport -- the capital's main international gateway, which has flood walls several metres high -- is operating as usual.

This weekend Bangkok is bracing for a large amount of run-off water along with seasonal high tides that will make it harder for the flood waters to flow out to sea.

"We predict the water will be highest from October 16-18 as the high sea level combines with water from the north which will arrive in Bangkok tomorrow (Sunday)," said Worapat Tianprasit at the Royal Irrigation Department.

He said the water in the Chao Phraya River had risen to 2.27 metres above sea level on Saturday morning at high tide, which was lower than expected.

"If the tide does not exceed 2.5 metres, there won't be flooding," Worapat added.

Overnight thunderstorms caused some minor flooding on roads in the centre of the capital, but the authorities have said they are confident they can prevent serious inundation in the low-lying city.

"Bangkok will definitely not be affected by floods," Justice Minister Pracha Promnog, who heads the government's flood relief centre, said Friday.

Sandbags have been piled in front of homes and businesses in preparation for possible inundation, and some residents have chosen to their vehicles in multi-storey carparks while stocking up on food, water and flashlights.

The authorities have been dredging and draining canals to allow more water to flow through and are diverting water to areas outside the main city.

The floods have dealt a heavy blow to Thailand's economy, disrupting production of cars, electronics and other goods.

Japanese automakers including Toyota have suspended production in the kingdom due to water damage to facilities or a shortage of components.

Three workers at a flood-hit factory north of the capital suffered minor injuries that were believed to be caused by a short circuit.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-15

It's all about face. No emergency will be declared.

Crazy, they should keep people from breaking down sandbag barriers. That is an army job.

The problem is who decides where to build the sandbag barriers?

Personally I would have thought that it would be better to position them so that water was directed to places where it could cause least damage and run off towards lower ground as soon as possible rather than trying to contain it. Better to flood an large area with 50cm of water than a much smaller area with 1 meter of water?

Just my thoughts

jb1

I do agree with that there has to be thought about where they should be placed. However a small area with 1 meter is better as a big area with 50 cm. 50 cm does a lot of damage already. Not much difference between a meter and 50 cm damage wise.

Anyway im glad we are still dry here and i hope they make sure nobody will break down barriers up stream of us that will flood me.