Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Samwa Tawantok in Klong Samwa (to the west of Safari World). Still not seen any flooding here despite being in one of the 7 districts that were warned to expect floodwater within 24 hours on Wednesday. (All that succeeded in doing was panic the wife).

Brother-in-law in Pathum Thani (west of Future Park) did get flooded out on Wednesday. His home wasn't damaged (when he left), but that's because his house was on built up land. When he exited his moo ban, the water on the road was waist deep.

He said the water first came up from the drains on the road, presumably water entering the drains in flooded areas is bypassing walls/obstructions above ground by travelling through the storm drain system. (Am I right in thinking this would NOT be tied into the sewage system?)

This is how our village got flooded, we had it sandbagged,we had pumps.. it did not help (20 km above BKK) Just the standard suburb moo bahn. If i were a betting man id say the water will enter my home today. Last night it had only 4cm to go today just 1. The initial rise was quickly now it seems to rise slower. But i read on thai visa it will take 40 days to get all the water away from the provinces. THat would tell me 20 days of rising (guesstimate) and then falling. I hope i am really incorrect.

Yesterday i was in full panick mode today im calmed down. Its the news that does it once the water is that close you start to get on edge. Because you never know how high it will get or how long it will stay. Its manageable if your house isnt flooded too much and you have food and electricity.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this thread... great idea. Perhaps we could go one step further and separate the North, South, East, and West areas(???) Just a thought...

In any event....

Sukhumvit Soi 77 (Soi Onnutch / Onnut near Big C dry, Khlong Phrakanong level might be higher by a few centimeters.

Thanks for this thread... great idea. Perhaps we could go one step further and separate the North, South, East, and West areas(???) Just a thought...

In any event....

Sukhumvit Soi 77 (Soi Onnutch / Onnut near Big C dry, Khlong Phrakanong level might be higher by a few centimeters.

I think its even more local then that. Our village flooded much later then other villages here its all about elevation. Its not as flat as it all looks.

In any event....

I think its even more local then that. Our village flooded much later then other villages here its all about elevation. Its not as flat as it all looks.

rob,

Yes, I agree. Someone (sorry to the OP for the map - can't remember who...) was very helpful by posting this flood map (in another thread) by using the topography of the land in / around Bangkok and the scenario of flood waters if the sea level increased. See>>> http://flood.firetree.net/ and scroll over to Thailand.

I am in Vipavadee soi 16 which runs from Rachadapisek MRT through to the big Rangsit Road (near Thai Rath and Thai air offices). We are not far from the critical area of Rachada-Lad prao junction, which is dry.

We are dry and sunny here at 8am. Some shops have built low walls. I live near a klong, as well!

My wise neighbour says that IF it comes here, it will be knee-level only.

I guess that we are too 'central' to be affected. But I am no expert. Few people are!

Eddy

Just found out that Sansiri has a pretty comprehensive and up-to-date website with brief reports and pictures of the situation at their various properties, including my moobaan.

The site is at http://www.sansiri.com/flood/ but it's in Thai only so deciphering the locations will be difficult for those unable to read Thai.

Still dry here at Burasiri Ngamwongwan-Prachachuen. Reports on twitter say that Klong Prapa flooding at Chaengwattana Road is now at 30cm, so I guess the question for now is whether we are far enough from Klong Prapa...

In any event....

rob,

Yes, I agree. Someone (sorry to the OP for the map - can't remember who...) was very helpful by posting this flood map (in another thread) by using the topography of the land in / around Bangkok and the scenario of flood waters if the sea level increased. See>>> http://flood.firetree.net/ and scroll over to Thailand.

Thanks,

This is the Bangkok area with a 2 meter sea level rise:

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=13.7287,100.6942&z=6&m=2

Just found out that Sansiri has a pretty comprehensive and up-to-date website with brief reports and pictures of the situation at their various properties, including my moobaan.

The site is at http://www.sansiri.com/flood/ but it's in Thai only so deciphering the locations will be difficult for those unable to read Thai.

Still dry here at Burasiri Ngamwongwan-Prachachuen. Reports on twitter say that Klong Prapa flooding at Chaengwattana Road is now at 30cm, so I guess the question for now is whether we are far enough from Klong Prapa...

Here in Don Muang we are getting the run off from Klong Phrapa it has been a steady rise since around eight this morning, now as we are on high ground it is only a matter of time before the heading south water reaches lower laying areas of Bangkok.

I just came back from Lumlukka Market, which is at the intersection of Phahoyothin and Lumluka roads, across from the Tupatamee golf course and the Veterans monument. Paholyothin is flooded as far South as I could see, which is about KM 27, and North to Zeer. Cars can still pass, but they are diverting traffic through the monument road. Heard from a MC driver that water in front of Zeer is now deep for motorcycles. Our Soi is still dry, but the water in the drains is high. Curiously it seems lower now than it was an hour ago.

Thanks also OTBTS,

I'm here on the 14th floor in our condo of one the Sansiri projects. Yes, here's the link>>>> http://thinkofliving.com/2011/10/20/%e0%b8%84%e0%b8%ad%e0%b8%99%e0%b9%82%e0%b8%94%e0%b9%81%e0%b8%aa%e0%b8%99%e0%b8%aa%e0%b8%b4%e0%b8%a3%e0%b8%b4/

I just came back from Lumlukka Market, which is at the intersection of Phahoyothin and Lumluka roads, across from the Tupatamee golf course and the Veterans monument. Paholyothin is flooded as far South as I could see, which is about KM 27, and North to Zeer. Cars can still pass, but they are diverting traffic through the monument road. Heard from a MC driver that water in front of Zeer is now deep for motorcycles. Our Soi is still dry, but the water in the drains is high. Curiously it seems lower now than it was an hour ago.

I'm about 1km down Pahonyothin Rd, from the monument. Soi 71, same side as the monument. No flooding as yet, but waiting for it to happen.

I'm about 1km down Pahonyothin Rd, from the monument. Soi 71, same side as the monument. No flooding as yet, but waiting for it to happen.

Rising steadily here in Don Muang,Klong Pharapa is rising and is probably out of control despite what the gov say.

Thanks also OTBTS,

I'm here on the 14th floor in our condo of one the Sansiri projects. Yes, here's the link>>>> http://thinkofliving...b8%a3%e0%b8%b4/

Anyone have anything on Thonburi area. In particular Taksin Road on the far side of Taksin bridge from Sathorn. Originally was going to be minimal but stories are changing.

Thanks

Rising steadily here in Don Muang,Klong Pharapa is rising and is probably out of control despite what the gov say.

Worrying. But still nothing has come down to Lak Si, neither around IT Square, the train station nor DM Toll entrance. Have also heard the water levels are dropping around The Avenue Chaeng Wattana but I have not been down to look.

Edited by bangkockney

Worrying. But still nothing has come down to Lak Si, neither around IT Square, the train station nor DM Toll entrance. Have also heard the water levels are dropping around The Avenue Chaeng Wattana but I have not been down to look.

Well it seems to be still rising here in Don Muaeng but at a very very slow rate, I can only hope that if it is going down ti will have a knock on effect on us here!

Probably no surprise to anyone that Yannawa, Praram 3 near Narathiwas is dry. Chao Phraya river level here has been pretty consistent for the past week.

I was down at Saphan Taksin about 11.00 am and the river water level was down about 18 inches from about 2 days ago when I last visited. I am not sure if this was just a tidal effect. Even the little bar in the pier on the soi at the back of the Shangri-la Hotel had 'dry' floor boards so you could sit and drink with dry feet for a change.

Hopefully this is a good sign.

Pls. Note: This topic is for "to the minute" flooding observations and reports, not cause and effect theories.

Just finished watching a one hour programme on TAN. Very much got the idea that the East side of the river is going to be the main area for draining off the water. No definite timetable that I could discern, but from Rangsit down and east there is going to be more water.

Probably no surprise to anyone that Yannawa, Praram 3 near Narathiwas is dry. Chao Phraya river level here has been pretty consistent for the past week.

I was down at Saphan Taksin about 11.00 am and the river water level was down about 18 inches from about 2 days ago when I last visited. I am not sure if this was just a tidal effect. Even the little bar in the pier on the soi at the back of the Shangri-la Hotel had 'dry' floor boards so you could sit and drink with dry feet for a change.

Hopefully this is a good sign.

Just looked at the charts and the next high tide is 2.30pm 23/10/11 Not sure about tonite. The chart had been cut of and could only see ..15pm

Edited by overherebc

In any event....

rob,

Thanks,

This is the Bangkok area with a 2 meter sea level rise:

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=13.7287,100.6942&z=6&m=2

That is very helpful. You can try different sea levels and than see how high you are in compare to the neighborhood. Which gives you an idea how big your problems might be if the water comes.

Very helpful! Thanks!

http://www.ebaechtold.com/2011/corum-indicates-bangkok-high-tide/

Click on the tide table after open page for details.

The above appears to be a good source of river level for Bangkok as it stated 2.14 meters at 0728 today and 3.44 at 1548 (accounting for current flooding from river).

Sunday will be:

2.29 at 0821

3.45 at 1619

2.70 at 2330

Monday will be:

2.95 at 0259

2.44 at 0942

3.48 at 1636

List in Thai here.

พื้นที่เสี่ยงภัยริมแม่น้ำเจ้าพระยา 13 เขต 27 ชุมชนนอกคันกั้นน้ำ1. เขตบางซื่อ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนพระราม 6 (ฝั่งติดแม่น้ำ) และชุมชนปากคลองบางเขนใหม่

(BangSue)

2. เขตดุสิต มี 5 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเขียวไข่กา (ถ.เขียวไข่กาช่วงปลาย) 20 ครัวเรือน ชุมชนราชผาทับทิมร่วมใจ(เชิงสะพานกรุงธน) ชุมชนซอยสีคาม (ซอยสามเสน 19 ช่วงปลาย) ชุมชนปลายซอยมิตรคาม(ซอยสามเสน 13 ช่วงปลาย)และชุมชนวัดเทวราชกุญชรฯ (ถ.ศรีอยุธยาช่วงปลาย)

(Dusit)

3. เขตพระนคร มี 3 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนท่าวัง ชุมชนท่าช้าง และชุมชนท่าเตียน

(Phranakorn)

4. เขตสัมพันธวงศ์ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปทุมคงคา(ท่าน้ำสวัสดี) และชุมชนตลาดน้อย

(Sumpuntawong)

5. เขตบางคอแหลม มี 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดบางโคล่นอก ชุมชนหน้าวัดอินทร์บรรจง ชุมชนซอยมาตานุสรณ์ และชุมชนหลังร.พ.เจริญกรุงประชารักษ์

(Bangkorlairm)

6. เขตยานนาวา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนโรงสี (ถ.พระราม 3)

(Yanawa)

7. เขตคลองเตย มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสวนไทรริมคลองพระโขนง

(KlongToei)

8. เขตบางพลัด มี 1 ชุมชน คือชุมชนวัดฉัตรแก้ว

(Bangplut)

9. เขตบางกอกน้อย 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสันติชนสงเคราะห์ ชุมชนปากคลองน้ำตาล-คลองพิณพาทย์ ชุมชนตรอกวังหลังและชุมชนดุสิต-นิมิตรใหม่

(Bangkoknoi)

10. เขตธนบุรี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่

(Thonburi)

11. เขตคลองสาน 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเจริญนครซอย 29/2

(Klongsahm)

12. เขตราษฎร์บูรณะ มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนดาวคะนอง

(Rachaburana)

13. เขตทวีวัฒนา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปรุณาวาส

(Tawiwuttana)

My translations in English (bracketed)

Walked around Huay Kwang - no water left in any 7/11 we found, no water left in any Tesco etc we found. Weather warm, no wind. Dry streets.

Any flood updates from your employees on Nawamin?

No, been unable to reach them. Been in contact with HR to get the latest phone-numbers, no reply to the corp-email.