Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Walked around Huay Kwang - no water left in any 7/11 we found, no water left in any Tesco etc we found. Weather warm, no wind. Dry streets.

Any flood updates from your employees on Nawamin?

No, been unable to reach them. Been in contact with HR to get the latest phone-numbers, no reply to the corp-email.

Was in Nawamin today dry as bone

Edited by aneliane

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ebaechtol...gkok-high-tide/

Click on the tide table after open page for details.

The above appears to be a good source of river level for Bangkok as it stated 2.14 meters at 0728 today and 3.44 at 1548 (accounting for current flooding from river).

Sunday will be:

2.29 at 0821

3.45 at 1619

2.70 at 2330

Monday will be:

2.95 at 0259

2.44 at 0942

3.48 at 1636

I'm not sure that tide levels correlate directly to Chao Phraya river levels. I've been watching the river level regularly from my condo on Praram 3 near Narathiwas road since about October 15. High tides shortly after that are indicated in this table at 3.58 M verses 3.44 today. Since I've been watching the river it's level seems to have remained pretty constant (allowing for highs and lows). There may be an increased river level coming at us from the northern runoff, and the greatest danger is at periods of high tide; I just don't think there's a direct correlation of tide levels to river levels.

BTW I judge the river level at it's highest point by watching two mooring structures next to a pipeline that extends out into the river from a small tank farm. At it's maximum height, the river is just barely washing over the the top of the right (upstream) mooring structure. The left (downstream structure) is a little bit higher and has a little freeboard remaining. This has been consistent since I've been watching.

Flood waters now coming down to Lak Si from DM. Parts of Lak Si along the Vibhavadi-Rangsit road are flooding due to water rushing out of drains.

My soi in Don Muang is pretty much flooded now about 12 inches and rising by morning it will be in the house for sure.

Saen Saeb Canal, Bangkapi, late afternoon:

Water flowing citywards (and on into the Gulf, I hope) noticeably faster than usual, and at Sri Boon Ruan Temple boat terminal water is splashing about where it wasn't splashing about a few days earlier, but the level of the water betweeen the temple and Bangkapi looks almost the same as before the gates were opened with about a metre and a half to go before over-flowing. Canal boats are operating, but I don't know if they're going the full distance.

Sorry if this is already mentioned but I'm mobile so... Arrived at suv at 7pm and took a cab in to thonglor no problems all dry. Did pass ramkamhaeng and still dry at 8pm

Edited by nbg

I just came back from Lumlukka Market, which is at the intersection of Phahoyothin and Lumluka roads, across from the Tupatamee golf course and the Veterans monument. Paholyothin is flooded as far South as I could see, which is about KM 27, and North to Zeer. Cars can still pass, but they are diverting traffic through the monument road. Heard from a MC driver that water in front of Zeer is now deep for motorcycles. Our Soi is still dry, but the water in the drains is high. Curiously it seems lower now than it was an hour ago.

I'm about 1km down Pahonyothin Rd, from the monument. Soi 71, same side as the monument. No flooding as yet, but waiting for it to happen.

Rising steadily here in Don Muang,Klong Pharapa is rising and is probably out of control despite what the gov say.

Where are you Marquess? I just had a bike ride about 3:00 this afternoon with my boys all up and down Srong bra pa rd and the water has slowed considerably, but it had gotten to the road next to the 7-11 across from the school it is mostly still rising because it's like a train and it takes a while to stop the flow but at the rate is was coming a night ago it would have gotten much further down the road and been much higher by this time..

The klong across SBPR was almost empty (down about 2 meters) and flowing very well. Further down by the corner market is where the klong widens out and there is a pumping station that was pumping full capacity and the water there was about 15Cm from the top which is pretty much maximum without cresting. I showed pictures earlier in the thread.

They are obviously managing it to move as much as possible, shutting it down and letting it fill up again and the main klong to drop again so it won't crest into the surrounding areas, SOP.. Anyway all indications are that it is slowing as it took more then 24 hours now to cover about the same distance it did in about half that time the day before so I'd not panic quite yet..

They're playing catch up again now as the opening of the sluice gates threw the management into turmoil, they were doing a great job before that..

I think its even more local then that. Our village flooded much later then other villages here its all about elevation. Its not as flat as it all looks.

rob,

Yes, I agree. Someone (sorry to the OP for the map - can't remember who...) was very helpful by posting this flood map (in another thread) by using the topography of the land in / around Bangkok and the scenario of flood waters if the sea level increased. See>>> http://flood.firetree.net/ and scroll over to Thailand.

Thanks,

This is the Bangkok area with a 2 meter sea level rise:

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=13.7287,100.6942&z=6&m=2

That is very helpful. You can try different sea levels and than see how high you are in compare to the neighborhood. Which gives you an idea how big your problems might be if the water comes.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Yes and I'm happy to confirm that based on that site we are almost 7-8 meters above sea level and are surrounded on all sides by 8-9 meters which is very comforting to know though ideally we'd be on 8-9 meters with 7 meters on all sides :) ..

maybe I mis-posted again ! OK my heart ruled my brain so yesterday evening I evacuated my family to HuaHin. I got back to my house at 2:30 am. Dechatungha still dry but drains either side now full which I suspect is seepage from the klon PhraPa end. Vibhavadee-Rangsit is flooding opposite DM airport but still passable. As it was dry yesterday evening then for how long it will remain so at that rate of rise I am not sure. the local road that runs parrallel up to Don Muang police station is dry but again either side drains full.

There have been a few posts about the water levels East of Klong Prapha (i.e. heading toward the Army base and Don Muang). Can anyone give me an update on water levels West of Klong Prapha, especially aound Soi Ruamsuk moreso than Sri Sawan Road, although I would be happy for any news.

Which part of Bangkok is Soi Pridi Banomyong (Sukhumvit Soi 71)? Is it in the east, west, north or south of Bangkok? Would appreciate if someone could tell me whether Soi Pridi Banomyong, Ekkamai and Thonglor will be flooded in the next few days....

Which part of Bangkok is Soi Pridi Banomyong (Sukhumvit Soi 71)? Is it in the east, west, north or south of Bangkok? Would appreciate if someone could tell me whether Soi Pridi Banomyong, Ekkamai and Thonglor will be flooded in the next few days....

It's Prakanong, the South East of Bangkok which is almost completely untouched for now. I live not far from it

I wish I knew if the flood will come or not and to what extent ...

Edited by aneliane

Which part of Bangkok is Soi Pridi Banomyong (Sukhumvit 71)? Is it in the east, west, north or south of Bangkok? Would appreciate if someone could tell me whether Soi Pridi Banomyong, Ekkamai and Thonglor will be flooded in the next few days....

Soi Pridi Banomyong (21 Suk Soi 71) is in the South East of Bangkok about 3km north of Phra Kanong BTS station.

At this point nobody can tell you if the area around Ekkamai/Thonglor/Phra Kanong will be flooded.

Which part of Bangkok is Soi Pridi Banomyong (Sukhumvit 71)? Is it in the east, west, north or south of Bangkok? Would appreciate if someone could tell me whether Soi Pridi Banomyong, Ekkamai and Thonglor will be flooded in the next few days....

Soi Pridi Banomyong (21 Suk Soi 71) is in the South East of Bangkok about 3km north of Phra Kanong BTS station.

At this point nobody can tell you if the area around Ekkamai/Thonglor/Phra Kanong will be flooded.

Sorry to contradict but Soi 71 is South of BTS Prakanong, not North and about 400m from the station

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=sukhumvit+71&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=eU6jTsCWDInorQfErojqAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CCAQ_AUoAg

Pridi Banomyong are the sois that branch off of Pharkanong (Suk 71). Klong Pharkanong runs for the most part between Pharkanong (Suk 71) and Onnut (Suk 77). I'll be going past the Klong in about an hour and will post what's going on if anything new is happening. Depending on your orientation, this area is the eastern part of Bangkok.

I just came back from Lumlukka Market, which is at the intersection of Phahoyothin and Lumluka roads, across from the Tupatamee golf course and the Veterans monument. Paholyothin is flooded as far South as I could see, which is about KM 27, and North to Zeer. Cars can still pass, but they are diverting traffic through the monument road. Heard from a MC driver that water in front of Zeer is now deep for motorcycles. Our Soi is still dry, but the water in the drains is high. Curiously it seems lower now than it was an hour ago.

I'm about 1km down Pahonyothin Rd, from the monument. Soi 71, same side as the monument. No flooding as yet, but waiting for it to happen.

Rising steadily here in Don Muang,Klong Pharapa is rising and is probably out of control despite what the gov say.

Where are you Marquess? I just had a bike ride about 3:00 this afternoon with my boys all up and down Srong bra pa rd and the water has slowed considerably, but it had gotten to the road next to the 7-11 across from the school it is mostly still rising because it's like a train and it takes a while to stop the flow but at the rate is was coming a night ago it would have gotten much further down the road and been much higher by this time..

The klong across SBPR was almost empty (down about 2 meters) and flowing very well. Further down by the corner market is where the klong widens out and there is a pumping station that was pumping full capacity and the water there was about 15Cm from the top which is pretty much maximum without cresting. I showed pictures earlier in the thread.

They are obviously managing it to move as much as possible, shutting it down and letting it fill up again and the main klong to drop again so it won't crest into the surrounding areas, SOP.. Anyway all indications are that it is slowing as it took more then 24 hours now to cover about the same distance it did in about half that time the day before so I'd not panic quite yet..

They're playing catch up again now as the opening of the sluice gates threw the management into turmoil, they were doing a great job before that..

I am about 2.5km east of Klong Phrapa not far from Sirisuk Junction, it is now 06.53 I have just looked out of the window and the soi is still pretty flooded but the water has not come into my house. Indications would suggest that the water got a little higher in the night and then went down a bit. Maybe it might ease today who knows?

08:30 23OCT

I am on Lad Prao opposite Union Mall (very close to Central Lad Prao).

Lad Prao is dry, though it has flooded a little during rains.

A curtain hotel had its parking lot flood, but only for a matter of hours.

My worry is that traffic is very light, mostly taxis. Buses are still running.

You mean on the way to the airport from Ramkamhaeng?

Suwithawong minburi seems ok now. Heavy rain right now which isnt good. Klum khao rd just from suwithawong to latkrang/romklao is underwater, Thats a no go area if you have to drive.

EAST BKK - KLONGSAMWA - NIMIT MAI ROAD (4km due East of Safari, 1km East of the main Klong Samwa crossing Hat Thai Mit)

Water gate on Hat Thai Mit was opened slightly yesterday PM (not open as much as previous day), with about 3" rise in water to the south of the road.

Hat Thai Rat & Nimitmai roads still no sign of flooding to the north of Hat Thai Mit as of last night. Will post again after lunch when had an updated look.

Lam Luk Ka - anyone up in that area??

Sorry to contradict but Soi 71 is South of BTS Prakanong, not North and about 400m from the station

http://maps.google.c...ved=0CCAQ_AUoAg

It branches off sukhumvit 300-400 meters from BTS Prakhanong.

But it stretches to the north, about 4KM.

All odd number sukhumvit sois stretch to the north.

Left my home yesterday afternoon and relocated elsewhere for awhile.

My home is near Khlong 3, Nakhon Nayok, Rangsit. Water was waist high in the soi and had started to enter my home. The rise in water was greatly noticeable, about 1/2" an hour and the sewage was beginning to rise in my backyard. Others in my village were also evacuating by afternoon. Not sure of the situation this morning, but at 3PM yesterday, only 1 side of Nakhon Nayok was open to traffic from the end of Khlong 2 and up to Khlong 4, and it was filling up quickly. Other nearby villages which had previously been unaffected were filling up fast.

Did get a phone call from a friend on Khlong 3, near Big C, this morning and her home is now waist high in water.

Wish you all well.

We are in a village just off Suan Pak Soi 32 on the Nontaburi side of Klong Mahasawat which is about one kilometer away. There is extensive water on Plaibang Road although not very deep, maybe 40 cms in places. Last night a dyke was breached and quick work by the local District folks and the Villagers prevented any large amounts of water entering the village. We have a Klong right on our doorstep (flows into Mahasawat) and the level has been stable for about four days now. This Klong only drains rainwater and is not connected to any other Klongs other than Mahasawat.

The biggest stressor is that we are unable to get any accurate information on if and when we might go under. So many people tell us different things it is impossible to know who to believe.

Need to rely on back channels to find out what's going on.

You see a Chinese Thai shopowner barricading his noodle shop - that is a sign.

You see your neighbor loading up his merc with food and clothes for a month-that is a sign.

You see another neighbor working in his garden-that is a different sign.

If you go by official news that 17 communities need to evac-you might assume it was a mass evac order.

Depends really on what signs you want to see.

Need to rely on back channels to find out what's going on.

You see a Chinese Thai shopowner barricading his noodle shop - that is a sign.

You see your neighbor loading up his merc with food and clothes for a month-that is a sign.

You see another neighbor working in his garden-that is a different sign.

Neighbor #1 is out sweeping the road in front of her sidewalk

Neighbor #2 put out a few sandbags in front of his gate

Neighbor #3 is cementing cinder blocks on top of his 1 meter wall.

Which one's example do I follow? Bricks on top of a wall seem pointless. If it gets that high, water from the drains inside will be a bigger problem than what is outside the fence. Unless he's cemented his toilet and drains, too.

Has anyone reported flooding along or nearby Petchaburi Road? There are water ways running either side so it looks likely that if there were to exceed their limits and overflow the road would see flooding..... Just curious as i am in Soi Soonvigai and even through the condo is elevated a few meters off the ground i am concerned that we are at risk.