Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

I hope this advise is good.

If your in a risk zone listen to the drains on a regular basis if you hear heavy water flow above normal best get ready.

Strong plastic sheeting is best held in place with sandbags at the bottom to stop water getting under and if you can nail it to door frames or walls by wooden baton on the top of it.

Low level toilets fill plastic bag with sand and plug.

Fill anything you can up with water and put up high.

Charge all phones and laptops when you can.

As soon as the water comes hit the electric off as first priority death by electrocution is a very very big risk during and after flood.

Help others.

Not rocket science follow the locals especially the elder ones.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Located in the area behind Lumlukka market and across from Tupatemi Golf Course. We are dry so far, but there is water as far as you can see down to Phahonyothing 27 up to Zeer in the other direction. Just heard from an eye witness that Tuapatemi is flooded. We had a village announcement saying that we would flood today for sure. Water in the drains yesterday was about a foot beneath the surface of the soi, last time I looked it was about one inch below. Seems to have stabilized, I have been told they are pumping it out. Seems a matter of time only before we are, but right now we are sort of an island surrounded by flooded areas. I am impressed with the local authorities, they are doing their best to hold it back, and are keeping everyone informed.

A friend sent me some photos currently at Khlong 2, Rangsit, Nakhon Nayok Road.

This is near Montana Village. She had said the water levels were not this high yesterday and it is a significant change. Smaller cars cannot pass through and the military is helping those evacuate those who are in need of help. Most of the huts along the Khlong are nearly submerged.

post-6428-0-29163600-1319345658_thumb.jp

post-6428-0-80400300-1319345683_thumb.jp

post-6428-0-20379100-1319345955_thumb.jp

Some of the Khlong 2 huts becoming submerged

Edited by frodo

Regarding Petchburi:

St. Dom. School, has Petchburi on one side, Khlong Saen Saeb (?) on another, and is near Asoke.

They were dry on Friday, but they had sandbags and delayed the start of the term from 24OCT to 01NOV.

One of the MRT entrances (the "klhong side" one) is closed.

Regarding Lad Prao:

Four of the five Phahon Yothin MRT entrances are on Lad Prao. Two are closed and two are open. The ones open are near Viphavadi-Rangsit and Phahon Yothin. The closed entrances are on the Rachada-Pisek side. This is the opposite of what I'd expect. Do authorities expect the flood water approaching central Bangkok on PhahonYothin and Viphavadi-Rangsit to make left turns onto Rachada-Pisek? Amazing Thailand.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
off topic

Regarding Petchburi:

St. Dom. School, has Petchburi on one side, Khlong Saen Saeb (?) on another, and is near Asoke.

They were dry on Friday, but they had sandbags and delayed the start of the term from 24OCT to 01NOV.

Regarding Lad Prao:

Four of the five Phahon Yothin MRT entrances are on Lad Prao. Two are closed and two are open. The ones open are near Viphavadi-Rangsit and Phahon Yothin. The closed entrances are on the Rachada-Pisek side. This is the opposite of what I'd expect. Do authorities expect the flood water approaching central Bangkok on PhahonYothin and Viphavadi-Rangsit to make left turns onto Rachada-Pisek? Amazing Thailand.

Regarding PMS:

I can't be the only one whose spouse is about to start her period. Anybody have any survival tips for waiting for floodwaters to recede during that time of the month?

No tips get plenty of water and make sure you move everything up of importance. Water will come in you cant block it (i have 5 cm now) Been creeping up all week. Lets hope BKK really lets some water through so we are all done faster.

Live goes on many in this soy are still here and i will be here too as long as the water pump and electricity function.

Regarding Petchburi:

Regarding Lad Prao:

<snip>

Stay as quiet as possible, every thing she says is brilliant, everything she cooks is delicious. Medicate with hugs and chocolate as necessary.

Located in the area behind Lumlukka market and across from Tupatemi Golf Course. We are dry so far, but there is water as far as you can see down to Phahonyothing 27 up to Zeer in the other direction. Just heard from an eye witness that Tuapatemi is flooded. We had a village announcement saying that we would flood today for sure. Water in the drains yesterday was about a foot beneath the surface of the soi, last time I looked it was about one inch below. Seems to have stabilized, I have been told they are pumping it out. Seems a matter of time only before we are, but right now we are sort of an island surrounded by flooded areas. I am impressed with the local authorities, they are doing their best to hold it back, and are keeping everyone informed.

PhahanYothin 27? Don't you mean PhahanYothin 87?

This is near Montana Village. She had said the water levels were not this high yesterday and it is a significant change. Smaller cars cannot pass through and the military is helping those evacuate those who are in need of help. Most of the huts along the Khlong are nearly submerged.

I live in that area. It is much worse than yesterday. Can't buy food now. Looking at getting out of here tonight if possible.

I live in that area. It is much worse than yesterday. Can't buy food now. Looking at getting out of here tonight if possible.

GoonDizzy. I posted on another thread to one of your posts about food and water. A friend of mine told me that Big C at Future Park is open and has a lot of milk, fruits and vegetables, and water. Dry goods were not available. It might worth a try.

If you think you need to get out, I would do it ASAP. I left my home yesterday afternoon, probably not to far from you, and it was not easy getting out. Unless you have a truck or someone who has a truck it will be darned hard. It cost me a thousand baht to get a taxi to pick me and my roomies up. Well worth it!!! However, we had to walk through waist high water for a considerable distance and cross the ped overpass to where he was waiting for us. He could not get anywhere near our home since the water was far to deep for any cars. At least we got to our temporary 3 month residence safely. I don't know your situation right now, but play it safe.

Actually a bag that is porous for the toilets and sinks I.E. sand BAG minus the sand is a good idea and put in some baking soda and plenty of raw rice but leave the bag slack so it can expand. It will absorb moisture and eventually swell up and expand into the bowls shape and under the lip making it very hard to be pushed out by the pressure underneath and as it swells it also seals off noxious gases coming back up from the sewer and an added sand bag on top will ensure it stays in place, easier to clean up afterwards too..

PhahanYothin 27? Don't you mean PhahanYothin 87?

I was referring to ก.ม. 27, or KM 27 on Phahonyothin, sorry. Just past the Lumlukka Phahonyothin intersection and before you get to Garden Home.

Went hunting for one of them big plastic buckets to store water.

Local makeshift stall opposite Ratchawat market was out, left with smaller versions.

Lotus Taupoon (I always forget how they call this one) and Big C Saphan Kwai pretty much the same. Also, no bottled water and many shelves empty. Lots of shoppers, though.

Found what we were looking for on Sirindhorn Rd., Bangplud - big shop doing brisk business opposite Thanghuasend Thonburi.

Only flooding we saw was near that bridge (before Sirindhorn)where some houses and restaurants near the river look 1-1.5 meter deep in water.

And here's a song been on my mind these last few days

Actually a bag that is porous for the toilets and sinks I.E. sand BAG minus the sand is a good idea and put in some baking soda and plenty of raw rice but leave the bag slack so it can expand. It will absorb moisture and eventually swell up and expand into the bowls shape and under the lip making it very hard to be pushed out by the pressure underneath and as it swells it also seals off noxious gases coming back up from the sewer and an added sand bag on top will ensure it stays in place, easier to clean up afterwards too..

Thanks for the heads up there. We got the builder in and taken out the downstairs toilet. Sandbags over wastes etc is essential. This is how the water gets in. We've built small walls around the openings etc.

Once we are flooded I don't know how long we can stick it though.

Good luck all!

Bangbon is dry, but the nearest khlong (Khlong Khwan) strangely has had no water motion whatsoever. Nearby Mahidol U had a new warning issued a few hours ago to expect the water flooding from Nakhom Phatom to be there "anytime"--meaning soon, I presume (within 24 hours?). Because of the volume, Nakhom P had a meter of water at last report two days ago, I am taking precautions to move to higher ground in the event of rising water.

One worrisome fact for the North and East BKK given the current drainage plan-- I was in Surin at a wedding last week, and stayed five days. It rained almost continuously. That volume of water has yet to reach the capital, and will be compounded by the recent heavy rainfall from other nearby regions in central Thailand, and further aggravated by a high tide later this week that will coincide with arrival of this currently un-discussed volume of Surin water. I don't panic in disasters--I wait until everything is stable and then have a freak-out. Nonetheless...water from

Nakom Phatom + Ayuddayah + Surin + High tide = (the recent murmurs from FROC that the "worst may be yet to come" (sic). The problem with having to read between the lines to understand the news here is that some situations are worsened by ambiguity, and emergency situations require clarity and concise instructions. In short, I feel like a mushroom-kept in the dark and fed BS.

It seems simple. Have a plan. If the water begins to rise, then get out. Hmmm... the devil in these details is not one that I know better.

Walked around Huay Kwang, nice weather, scattered thin feather clouds, temp over 33 degrees, dry ground and no signs of any water anywhere.

Huay Kwang local market still has most goods, vegetables, meat etc, but less of eggs etc and in general the prices is up atleast 20%.

Also, water and also most kind of soda is running out in all stores and 7-Elevens.

Need to rely on back channels to find out what's going on.

You see a Chinese Thai shopowner barricading his noodle shop - that is a sign.

You see your neighbor loading up his merc with food and clothes for a month-that is a sign.

You see another neighbor working in his garden-that is a different sign.

If you go by official news that 17 communities need to evac-you might assume it was a mass evac order.

Depends really on what signs you want to see.

Why would you assume that any of those people have a more accurate idea of what's really going on than you do? And in my experience, most of the locals are inclined to be quite likely over-reacting. (though they may -- by accident -- be right) but one does see a range of levels of concern -- whose is supposed to be the right one?

I do find myself looking at what neighbors are doing and, as is human nature, either feel slightly more confident or worried by seeing how I fare in comparison, but ultimately I think it's not a great way to assess the risks.

This really does remind me of Y2K in Korea.

People bought cans of gas for portable stoves, bottled water, canned goods, etc.

And absolutely nothing happened.

I just rode Skytrain from Mochit to Bearing and it's business as usual, except for shortages of water and soy milk and, judging by the gaps on the shelves, other goods. Nice weather, no rain.

I also went 20 floors up to the condo roof and searched the horizon for any water coming my way.

I stood on the bridge between Union Mall and Central Lad Prao and saw only automobile traffic.

I feel like an old lady in a rocking chair, waiting for cracks to open in the ground or for some other form of entertainment to come her way.

Still, there's no denying that schools have closed for an extra week and barriers are going up.

Why do I assume that the chinese shopkeeper has better intel

1. Money

2. He doesn't watch Korean soaps

3. I don't think he relies on Froc

4. Listen to jorsor 100 instead of yesterdays news from the nation

5. Generations of vested interest decision making have ingrained in him a certain level of bs filtering.

About 5 shops on Khao San Rd have built temporary brick walls about 2/3 of a metre high across their entrances and waterproofed them properly by plastering them. Better than sandbags, which stop a surge but often leak.

Edited by Latindancer

Bangbon is dry, but the nearest khlong (Khlong Khwan) strangely has had no water motion whatsoever. Nearby Mahidol U had a new warning issued a few hours ago to expect the water flooding from Nakhom Phatom to be there "anytime"--meaning soon, I presume (within 24 hours?). Because of the volume, Nakhom P had a meter of water at last report two days ago, I am taking precautions to move to higher ground in the event of rising water.

One worrisome fact for the North and East BKK given the current drainage plan-- I was in Surin at a wedding last week, and stayed five days. It rained almost continuously. That volume of water has yet to reach the capital, and will be compounded by the recent heavy rainfall from other nearby regions in central Thailand, and further aggravated by a high tide later this week that will coincide with arrival of this currently un-discussed volume of Surin water. I don't panic in disasters--I wait until everything is stable and then have a freak-out. Nonetheless...water from

Nakom Phatom + Ayuddayah + Surin + High tide = (the recent murmurs from FROC that the "worst may be yet to come" (sic). The problem with having to read between the lines to understand the news here is that some situations are worsened by ambiguity, and emergency situations require clarity and concise instructions. In short, I feel like a mushroom-kept in the dark and fed BS.

It seems simple. Have a plan. If the water begins to rise, then get out. Hmmm... the devil in these details is not one that I know better.

I live near Mahidol U and the latest buzz around here is that if we get any flooding, it will be between 5 and 8pm tonight...not sure how they can pinpoint it so exactly. Come to think of it, I wonder how credible this info is, given that we were told we had 24 hours to evacuate about 4 days ago. 2 hours and 40 minutes to go for this latest warning. :)

Bangbon is dry, but the nearest khlong (Khlong Khwan) strangely has had no water motion whatsoever. Nearby Mahidol U had a new warning issued a few hours ago to expect the water flooding from Nakhom Phatom to be there "anytime"--meaning soon, I presume (within 24 hours?). Because of the volume, Nakhom P had a meter of water at last report two days ago, I am taking precautions to move to higher ground in the event of rising water. . . .

The plan is a bit of a problem, alas. In my shoes, for example, except for bugging out to Khon Kaen, which itself is half submerged but where the rest of the family is at the moment, just where do you evac to? You mentioned Mahidol. I work there and tried to book a room at Salaya Pavillion two weeks ago for this weekend and coming week and everything was already taken. There is an evac center at MUIC, which might be my first resort if I lose electric and water at home. Otherwise, I guess I just head down the street to the Phutthamonthon Sai 3 overpass and hope someone has an awning during the day.