Crocodile Warning For North Bangkok

george

I don't think that 1000bath anybody will be bothering to call the office, the skin and meat of the snake or crocodile is worth many times that much

PSML yea sure thing wish i cud be ther could do with some new boots :lol: and come on a 1000bht for the risk of your limbs been mauled errr i think not need to up the bounty :jap:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, offer 1000 baht for some clueless person to go catch a crocodile. Brilliant.

They need some clueless person to do it, Steve Irwin is no longer available...

And Paul Hogan was on a shoot and couldn't fit it into his schedule even with an offer of all the beer he could drink.

CNN....Oh yea the Communist News Network....ha ha. CNN is horrible about blowing almost anything out of shape and making up their own details.annoyed.gif

Hope it's not a slow news day back home. This is just the kind of story CNN loves to run with.

More like Corporate News Network as far as I can tell. Back to the subject at hand ... yes, I am get sick of of all the "cute" and "quirky" news stories about Thailand meant to do nothing but amuse American TV viewers.

*update*

the Thai dual pricing phenomena has just come into effect re: payments per croc...

Thai's & farang with Thai driving licence will be paid 1000thb

non expat, visiting/tourist farang will be paid 10,000thb

(i knew that 'rule' would be beneficial one day)

The real question is (as mentioned) these are freshies or salties,

I'd have no issues with wrangling a few fresh water crocs - even hungry ones, buy yourself a chicken carcass or two, and some sedatives,

however saties - even the smaller ones (under 8 foot) are mean, and smart. definitely not to be messed with.

although at 10,000 thb a pop it might be worth mounting an expedition lol.

The real question is (as mentioned) these are freshies or salties,

I'd have no issues with wrangling a few fresh water crocs - even hungry ones, buy yourself a chicken carcass or two, and some sedatives,

however saties - even the smaller ones (under 8 foot) are mean, and smart. definitely not to be messed with.

although at 10,000 thb a pop it might be worth mounting an expedition lol.

I'll send you the chicken and sedatives, for 35% if you wrangle them! Do you have to kiss them to find out if theyr'e freshies or salties?

100 crocs? Are they full grown or babies? Either way I hope they catch them all sooner rather than later.

1000 baht bounty on the crocs is that wise? These are not tame animals and you are going to have people who have not idea how to handle such a dangerous animal trying to catch them.

This is at least the fourth (if not fifth) time in two years that flooding has caused crocodiles to escape. Wouldn't the government get a clue by now that maybe they need to regulate crocodile farming and establish some code on how to contain these creatures and prevent flooding from allowing them to escape? Cripes!

No

They're not going to be Estuarine crocs (salties) are they..living in freshwater in the middle of Thailand.

They'd be Siamese crocs (check wiki), more likely to eat fish.

I wade through 4 feet of torrent every day in Ayuttaya to fetch water (day13 now!)..I'd be more worried about huge fish....

They're not going to be Estuarine crocs (salties) are they..living in freshwater in the middle of Thailand.

They'd be Siamese crocs (check wiki), more likely to eat fish.

I wade through 4 feet of torrent every day in Ayuttaya to fetch water (day13 now!)..I'd be more worried about huge fish....

Estuarine crocs live quite happily in salt or fresh water - they are the largest species and yield a lot of hand bags.

I believe the Siamese croc is quite endangered in the wild - they are not particularly dangerous.

If farmed they could be any of a number of species none of which are "man-eaters" - however one needs to treat any large animal with teeth with caution especially if they are stressed or cornered.

There seems to be a lot of superstition and misinformation about the animals on this thread and no-one has confirmed the species or where they came from.

The larger species of crocodiles are very dangerous to humans. The main danger that crocodiles pose is not their ability to run after a person but their ability to strike before the person can react. The saltwater crocodile and nile crocodile are the most dangerous, killing hundreds of people each year in parts of southeast Asia and Africa. Sounds great this but you want catch me doing this for love nor money .. whistling.gif

I've been to the croc farm in Nakon Sawan (they get out every year!) and I didn't see anything bigger than 2 metres there... But i agree, if farmed, you'd want the biggest species if you thought about it.

But TiT, the land of not thinking about it.

most crocs are fish eaters - they are only interested in prey that size.

The idea of being chased by a croc sown the streets of Bkk is quite ludicrous.

The salty eats far larger prey and would quite happily eat a human. so it would be nice to know what species is out there - even so I'd say the danger is minimal. ne needs to look at casualties in places like Oz to see the potential risk - most people taken by crocs have taken unnecessary risk in areas of high croc populations. A ugh croc can conceal itself in a relatively tiny amount of water. Being reptiles and therefore cold-blooded, they also don't eat that frequently.

The idea of being chased by a croc sown the streets of Bkk is quite ludicrous.

Any large croc is just as likely to take a dog or even cattle over a human.

Salty population in the wild in Thailand is negligible even though they are indigenous I believe.

Edited by cowslip

As for farming - I don't know what species they prefer - the skin on a full-grown salty may well be too thick or tough for practical use. I imagine the best leather would come from smaller or younger animals.

In Oz all crocs are strictly and well protected, so any large animals that are causing problems in the wild are usually captures and put in the care of croc farms or zoos.

I would suggest that the seemingly small reward for capturing these animals would only attract amateurs rather than experienced professionals. It would seem more appropriate for the farm or its insurance to pay for the cost of recovery. no doubt they have staff who are experienced in handling the animals.

It mary of course be very difficult to locate the animals until the waters subside.....in the mean time keep your dogs on a lead!

Edited by cowslip

Great, offer 1000 baht for some clueless person to go catch a crocodile. Brilliant.

I think you mean try and catch. Any way I agree what are the authorities thinking? Would offering a lousy 1,000 bht not put people in more danger when they try a catch these cute fluffy little creatures. 1,000 baht for a croc caught alive prooves they put more value on the animal than they do the cannon fodder they are encouraging to go out and try and wrestle one of these animals.

Do I need a work permit to catch a crocodile?

yes

Do i need a work permit to catch a soi dog? what about a rat in the attic? a fly in the kitchen?

(and don't say the difference between the two is the reward money, because we all know that unpaid volunteer work also requires a work permit...)

Do I need a work permit to catch a crocodile?

yes

Do i need a work permit to catch a soi dog? what about a rat in the attic? a fly in the kitchen?

(and don't say the difference between the two is the reward money, because we all know that unpaid volunteer work also requires a work permit...)

THat's a bit facile isn't it?

I think you are being facetious and actually can see the problem.

If you set out to spend time on a paid or unpaid basis to do work that is reserved for Thais then you wouldn't get a permit. ....and if you set up as a dog catcher you clearly would need a permit. Same for crocs.

I think even the simplest of minds could grasp the difference between swatting a fly and setting up an operation to catch or kill animals. If you set up an operation to systematically swat flies then again ou would require a permit - and I think it is unlikely you'd get one.

Tokay - What about hunting license?

Edited by cowslip

Repeat of Pattaya crocodile farm last month

with those from pattaya & the "Around " named figure (witch means that they do not know the exact figure....) together ,

it seems WILDLIFE is seriously restored in Thailand as they keep doing what they been used in the farms ....breeding baby crock's :whistling::blink: