Have The Floods Affected Bangkoks Fisheries?

tomato

I hope this doesn't seem too insensitive considering the suffering a lot of Bangkok residents are enduring at the moment,but I was wondering how the floods have affected the likes of Bung Sam Ran and Shadow lake.I do hope they haven't been affected and the fish escaped, as they would never be the same again.My wife tells me these areas have been affected.Does anyone know for sure the situation?

Bungsamran OK at present too, although they have made preparations and the decks where underwater several times in the last few weeks but they seem to be fending off the xcess water well so far, the issue whether it floods properly I guess will be simply down to which klongs they try and send excess water thru.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is meaningful or not.

I walked over a bridge crossing the stinky klong that runs in front of Hua Lamphong train station. The bridge was about 300-500 meters downstream of the Hua Lamphong station. The water was actually flowing and I saw dozens of 5-20 kg catfish hitting the surface, under and just down from the bridge. Now I've never thought the klong (former cesspool, really) could support life and was astounded it was flowing, and at the number and size of the catfish. They may have been hitting the surface to catch a breath or try to escape for all I know. But it looked like they were actually feeding on the "stuff" that was floating by.

I'm half tempted to take a rod down there later, but alas, my work is getting in the way of the really important stuff in life.

Edited by impulse

I see from 'Bangkokhooker's' blog that BSR have the situation under control with a big pump installed,to direct the excess water from the lake.From the photos on his site the water is up to the level of the platforms,but people are still fishing.There must be millions of Bahts worth of fish in BSR which are not easily replaced,so this is good news.Also good news for me as I have just bought a new jigging rod to try at BSR.