Amazing Race Phuket Thailand

ronz28

Next week they are in Bangkok on US network CBS right after 60 minutes. Start time may be late because football games precede 60 minutes and often football game goes longer than anticipated and delays the start of 60 minutes so Amazing Race starts later too.

They have been in Phuket before....were in Phuket Zoo etc...did you see that?

Yes, it was better to me than tonight's episode because it showed more of Phuket and the Thai people than the mostly beach and few isolated islands from afar that were on tonight. I hope next week in Bangkok is more interesting.

Don't know why that link was blocked here is another link to the complete show- 44 minutes long but it has commercials.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/2153791892/the-amazing-race-ep-4-this-is-gonna-be-a-fine-mess

Hope this works for you as it works well in US. I don't see anything wrong with the show that would warrant it to be blocked. It should promote tourism in Thailand.

Its interesting that they are planting coral in areas where it was ruined by the Tsunami.

Don't know why that link was blocked here is another link to the complete show- 44 minutes long but it has commercials.

http://www.cbs.com/s...-be-a-fine-mess

Hope this works for you as it works well in US. I don't see anything wrong with the show that would warrant it to be blocked. It should promote tourism in Thailand.

Its interesting that they are planting coral in areas where it was ruined by the Tsunami.

CBS and other US networks won't allow access to their video streams without a US IP address. Hulu also will not. I just downloaded all four episodes through Bit torrents and I will watch the 4th one that was shot in Phuket tonight.

There was a coral bleaching last year that killed a lot of coral. The water temperature was in the low 90ºs, which "bleached" or killed the coral, turning it white. Most the coral had recovered from the tsunami. Perhaps they were misinformed or trying to be dramatic. See article, click this.

http://www.cbs.com/s...-be-a-fine-mess

I watched it using a bit torrent (Utorrent)

If you haven't seen it yet, be prepared for some of the usual pronunciation problems when they try to say Phuket. And one of them comes up with the strangest pronunciation I've ever heard.

Edited by Wavefloater

Bangkok part of the Amazing Race just now started on CBS network in US for those that have access to it. Looks like they are still in Phuket but will end up in Bangkok.

Edited by ronz28

I am watching the Amazing Race now and I was dumbfounded when I saw all the Tuk Tuk drivers charged the players 4,500 baht for driving players around for just a few hours. Is that the normal rate or is this another one of those rip offs that have now made it to international television?

I am watching the Amazing Race now and I was dumbfounded when I saw all the Tuk Tuk drivers charged the players 4,500 baht for driving players around for just a few hours. Is that the normal rate or is this another one of those rip offs that have now made it to international television?

they did not know to establish the fee before taking the ride.

the one couple really lost it ( lost face in the eyes of the thais) when the told the driver off.

looks like the drivers english skills diminished when it came time to get paid

Exactly why I started looking for a thread like this as I was interested to know as well.

the one couple really lost it ( lost face in the eyes of the thais) when the told the driver off.

I felt what happened there was they might have miscalculated the exchange rate as they were apologetic afterwards. The Thai transport supervisor saying they needed to pay $150 got the rate close enough (4500 baht).

The snowboarders paid an amazing (to me anyway) 5000 baht!!!

Would anyone from Phuket who saw the show have an idea of the distance they traveled to get the bus station (presumably over two or three hours) as 4500 baht would take you a very long way in a Bangkok taxi.

It was clear everyone felt ripped off. What would an expat or a Thai living in Phuket expect to pay for a similar journey?

Interesting how later in the show the twins managed to get a Bangkok taxi driver and then a tuk-tuk driver to let them ride for free. By the sour looks from most of the Phuket drivers I got the impression they were lucky they didn't ask there.

The Thai supervisor was threatening to call the police over one fare dispute... she had obviously encountered plenty of customers astounded at the price before.

I felt what happened there was they might have miscalculated the exchange rate as they were apologetic afterwards. The Thai transport supervisor saying they needed to pay $150 got the rate close enough (4500 baht).

The snowboarders paid an amazing (to me anyway) 5000 baht!!!

Would anyone from Phuket who saw the show have an idea of the distance they traveled to get the bus station (presumably over two or three hours) as 4500 baht would take you a very long way in a Bangkok taxi.

It was clear everyone felt ripped off. What would an expat or a Thai living in Phuket expect to pay for a similar journey?

Interesting how later in the show the twins managed to get a Bangkok taxi driver and then a tuk-tuk driver to let them ride for free. By the sour looks from most of the Phuket drivers I got the impression they were lucky they didn't ask there.

The Thai supervisor was threatening to call the police over one fare dispute... she had obviously encountered plenty of customers astounded at the price before.

Im fairly sure I got from Hua Hin to Pattaya for less than that and it was in a car

I was also shocked at the price of 4500 to 5000 baht, but then I remembered it's Phuket -- the place that's becoming more famous for ripping people off than it is for its beaches. I got a shiver up my spine as the typical unsmiling faces of the native Phuket business community demanded as much as they dare from unsuspecting tourists -- unable to realize that the cameras are rolling and capturing the truly nasty and mercenary spirit of Phuket that predominates the whole island. What a huge difference in Bangkok, where cabbies helped out for free. In contrast, I'm quite sure that a Phuket baht bus driver wouldn't take a dying person to the hospital unless he or she could come up with several times what is a fair price, and to do it for free -- absolutely impossible. It's sad to see a group of people like the Phuket business community that has completely lost all aspects of the spiritual side of life and become totally obsessed with money.

Edited by Wavefloater

I was also shocked at the price of 4500 to 5000 baht, but then I remembered it's Phuket -- the place that's becoming more famous for ripping people off than it is for its beaches. I got a shiver up my spine as the typical unsmiling faces of the native Phuket business community demanded as much as they dare from unsuspecting tourists -- unable to realize that the cameras are rolling and capturing the truly nasty and mercenary spirit of Phuket that predominates the whole island. What a huge difference in Bangkok, where cabbies helped out for free. In contrast, I'm quite sure that a Phuket baht bus driver wouldn't take a dying person to the hospital unless he or she could come up with several times what is a fair price, and to do it for free -- absolutely impossible. It's sad to see a group of people like the Phuket business community that has completely lost all aspects of the spiritual side of life and become totally obsessed with money.

It's good to see that another innocent thread about TV has turned into a chance to bash the entire Phuket business community.

It's good to see that another innocent thread about TV has turned into a chance to bash the entire Phuket business community.

I agree! It is good that people expose the truth about the Phuket approach to tourism. The thread may be innocent, but the Phuket business community certainly isn't.