Moving To Bangkok

Myself, wife and 3 kids (10, 8 and 6) will be moving to Bangkok from Singapore in 2006. We are Brits.

And of course we have lots of questions.

The most of important of which is which area do we live in? I will be working in the central business area, I believe the office is on the Skytrain route. The kids will go to an international school, preferably the British curriculum. I dont mind a long travel journey to and from work if I really have to - the kids schooling and proximity is more important. The school is undecided as present.

My company will give a good housing allowance. Will be looking for a 4+ bed house, preferably 5 with pool. Don't mind shared compound but single would be preferred. Driver and car will be supplied as well.

So which areas should I be looking at?....

Myself, wife and 3 kids (10, 8 and 6) will be moving to Bangkok from Singapore in 2006.  We are Brits.

The most of important of which is which area do we live in? I will be working in the central business area, I believe the office is on the Skytrain route.  The kids will go to an international school, preferably the British curriculum. I dont mind a long travel journey to and from work if I really have to - the kids schooling and proximity is more important. The school is undecided as present.

My company will give a good housing allowance. Will be looking for a 4+ bed house, preferably 5 with pool. Don't mind shared compound but single would be preferred. Driver and car will be supplied as well.

Hi Ducati.

There's obviously quite a lot to consider here for the convenience of your work, the kids education, and a neighbourhood your wife feels happy to be living in while you're at work and the children are at school (assuming she's not working of that is).

It's times like this where a lot of the stress can be taken out of the move by using the services of a reputable Estate agency.

Advice can, and probably will, come from members of this forum, but I think you will be also be wise to get an agency to usher you around this city showing you places that suit your requirements once you’ve ascertained what they are.

Maybe someone here can recommend such an agency?

Good luck.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

When I moved from Sydney to Tokyo, my company had an agency to sort out all my needs.

I was alone and had no requirements as yours but all the services were available to me had I needed them.

An agency your company could be using has a mandate to help you. If they are at the level what my company's agency professionalism is at, they would take care of you as if you were their own child.

At the end of the day, your situation is a premium business for them.

If you are having a 30-days grace period to stay wherever you want before settling permanently, I would recommend the Emporium Suites, Phrom Pong.

SunBelt Asia could be one to talk to if there is no provision (from the company) of any affiliated agency.

I have no interest in promoting their services, neither I had experience with them, but if I did not know of anyone else, I would talk to them. That's the kind of supporter you need in the early days in BKK.

Ducati,

We are a sponsor of Thaivisa.com and would be happy to assist you.

Our Director was just interviewed and a interesting article was just published which gives a insight to Roland and the property market in Bangkok.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly/weekly236.htm

www.property.th.com

The Dude thinks Stickman Rules and thanks Sunswelt Asia for promoting the Kewl Dude. The Dude has a lot of freed up shovels and can really dig.

Ducati,

We are a sponsor of Thaivisa.com and would be happy to assist you.

Our Director was just interviewed and a interesting article was just published which gives a insight to Roland and the property market in Bangkok.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly/weekly236.htm

www.property.th.com

The Dude thinks Stickman Rules and thanks Sunswelt Asia for promoting the Kewl Dude. The Dude has a lot of freed up shovels and can really dig.

Stickman could be doing the pranks like this one. Now that the Dude came up, it's a prank. Troll. Sorry that I had taken some time to respond.

Thanks for the advice.

My company will supply an agent, just as we did when we moved to SG. However I was just looking for some recommendations on the key areas to look for - just to get a few other opinions.

Any views gratefully recieved.....

Hi There

The Best area for your family would be >>>Ratchadamri, Sathorn and Sukhumvit area. My boyfriend is also british and he deals with Bangkok intenational Prep school and he could also introduce you to the headmaster yet another brit!!!

best wishes

cynthia

ps. I have 3 bedroom condos available but no houses all the condos have swimming pool and othe facilities - can send pics!

Myself, wife and 3 kids (10, 8 and 6) will be moving to Bangkok from Singapore in 2006.  We are Brits.

The most of important of which is which area do we live in? I will be working in the central business area, I believe the office is on the Skytrain route.  The kids will go to an international school, preferably the British curriculum. I dont mind a long travel journey to and from work if I really have to - the kids schooling and proximity is more important. The school is undecided as present.

As your employer is looking after you you need to consider three things:

1. Children and schools

2. Your wife

3. Your work location

You say that you will have a car and a driver, so you will need to consider the needs of your children and your wife.

A lot of people like Bangkok Pattana School up on Sukhumvit 101 they run school buses from Sukhumvit and therefore I would suggest an area around the Emporium or out around Sukhumvit 101.

Around the Emporium is city life with a nice park in the area with a very good selection of restaurants and a few pubs.

Have a good time.

My condos is 3 bedrooms in great area*(next to 4seasons hotel) 3 minutes walk to BTS .....its 231 sqm on 14th floor ! If you wanna see the pics pls let me know !

Oh! Its only cost you 85,000thb/month :o And I am one of Agency on that area(Ratchadamri)

IHC.Business Centre:

2/4 The Grand Ground Floor

Tel:02 650 2759

Email: [email protected]

PS. The Pic right here is from the balcony!

Some really nice condos here on Sukhumvit Soi 11 for 100K and uppity. Great area, great couple of Bldgs, great play areas with trees and grass, tennis courts, 200 sq meter uppity apts, real top class. The Dude highly rec's it. It's diggable

post-22880-1132553878.jpg

Edited by international healthcare