A Decent Steak

SebD

This is bound to have been asked and answered before but is probably worth updating, anyway.

Where can I get a decent steak in Thailand without paying silly money?

I don't expect a steak to the standard that my American cousins are used to (although that would be so good).

Just a "decent" average steak at a decent average price will do.

Only ever found one place, the check inn around soi 5 on Sukhumvit and if you blink you will miss it. It doubles as night club with the same 3 chipmunks (filipina) singing there for years. The place smells mouldy and always has, probably because it resembles a cave inc. a waterfall.

They pretty much specialize in steak with a queen size 400 bht and kingsize 450bht each and thick enough

Comes with a side salad and baked potato and they have all the extras , sour cream, chives, bacon bites etc.

Only ever found one place, the check inn around soi 5 on Sukhumvit and if you blink you will miss it. It doubles as night club with the same 3 chipmunks (filipina) singing there for years. The place smells mouldy and always has, probably because it resembles a cave inc. a waterfall.

They pretty much specialize in steak with a queen size 400 bht and kingsize 450bht each and thick enough

Comes with a side salad and baked potato and they have all the extras , sour cream, chives, bacon bites etc.

And garlic bread, yummy.

Went there twice around two weeks ago, never fails to please.

Hi,

When you say "around soi 5" do you mean ON Soi 5 or on Sukhumvit, near Soi 5? If the latter, is it on the Soi 5 to Soi 3 or the Soi 5 to Soi 7 section?

Also, the musty smell. Is that not off-putting (smell is a great component in flavour, to me) or is there outside seating?

Thanks for the info, so far.

Incredible that no-one has yet decided to make a killing by flogging proper steaks at reasonable prices to hungry meat-eating farangs (even 400-450 TB is a bit steep, in comparison to other food available in Thailand).

I was advised to go to a Bangkok restaurant for a decent steak a few years ago but when I got there, the steak was £45 (best part of $60 US) and veg (even fries) had to be ordered an paid for in addition to the price of the steak. I don't know how good the steak was as I just had a beer and left after perusing the menu and the staff having administered the smelling salts :D (had gammon and chips at a nearby hotel, instead).

"We have some of the best steaks in town which will leave you coming back for more."

Shhhhh Zor..... I thought that we had agreed previously that due to the limited amount of seating we wouldn't promote or 'big up' this place.

It was in some way ironic that on my last visit, there was a huge banner on the opposite side of Suk advertising the Landmark as being the best steaks in BKK, "yeah ok" thought I.

"We have some of the best steaks in town which will leave you coming back for more."

Shhhhh Zor..... I thought that we had agreed previously that due to the limited amount of seating we wouldn't promote or 'big up' this place.

It was in some way ironic that on my last visit, there was a huge banner on the opposite side of Suk advertising the Landmark as being the best steaks in BKK, "yeah ok" thought I.

Actually, the Landmark could be right. The Rib Room, on the top floor, has very good, if quite pricey, steaks.

I'm kind of glad that people are promoting Check Inn cos I used to love it 10 years ago. I then took my new msz along for a steak and it was like an old boot and I never went back. Time to give them another go I reckon

woops. Thadius forgot the agreement :ph34r:

Kurnell in all fairness there website does say only "some of the best steaks in town" at least they are honest :lol:

good thread...I haven't had a steak in years so I'll haveta check out the 'Check Inn'...baked potato with sour cream and chives, yes indeed...

as an aside (:unsure:)...anyone know where to get US style prime rib in the same neighborhood?

You have to pay for the entire buffet, but the Grand Hyatt Erawan serves a good prime rib every night. I like my prime rib thick, so I just tell the chef to carve it thicker for me.

I cook my own now, Top Supermarket at the Central Mall in Chiang Rai has perfectly respectable local rib-eye steaks for around 100B each. Usually go about 360B a kilo.

It's not going to be "cut with a fork" quality at that price but I've been served worse in Aussie pubs.

Seriously though, steak is hardly a traditional Thai dish and 400-500B is well in line, if not a lot better than what you would pay in a restaurant the West.

Last trip back to Australia I paid $25. :(

Actually, the Landmark could be right. The Rib Room, on the top floor, has very good, if quite pricey, steaks.

I'm not willing to dress up to spend ridiculous money on a steak and thankfully the Landmark has a dresscode which has saved me a lot of money. :annoyed:

I'm not willing to dress up to spend ridiculous money on a steak and thankfully the Landmark has a dresscode which has saved me a lot of money. :annoyed:

Like-minds.

Still amazed at how few places are being recommended that provide a "decent" steak at a "reasonable" price.

I know it might be deemed subjective but I think a reasonable price is up to 500Bt and for that I'd hope it to be a level above decent ("good" even).

Any more suggestions out there, please?

Like-minds.

Still amazed at how few places are being recommended that provide a "decent" steak at a "reasonable" price.

I know it might be deemed subjective but I think a reasonable price is up to 500Bt and for that I'd hope it to be a level above decent ("good" even).

Any more suggestions out there, please?

I went to the Rib Room wearing jeans and a shirt and flip flops and that was acceptable to them. Unfortunately their pricing was unacceptable to me and I left after paying 400 Baht for a G&T.

Try Bei Otto for a decent steak at around 800 Baht. Good value.

Edited by smokie36

I was down waiting to get into the US embassy one day and walked around the block and found a place called Neils Tavern. I had the best steak I have eaten in Thailand there. I spent over a thousand baht for my meal but it was very nice there and the food was great. I walked in in shorts flip flops and a t-shirt and when I saw the wait staff in tuxes I thought they would turn me away or it would be too expensive but they told me sit sit. Came by several times while I was eating to make sure every thing was good too. Great food and the staff were all great too. Do check it out. They also have a bake shop there. Google Neils Tavern and Bake shop in Bangkok and they have the address there. I was glad to have stumbled across the place while having a walk. You will like this place.

Edited by djvolak

Ron at homerun does a 2 for 1 wagyu steaks on certain days that works out to around 500 baht a piece.

Don't suppose Ron does a one for half, does he, as I'll be on my own and I really couldn't eat two.

At home I just had an Aussie grain fed tenderloin streak sandwich. B475 for the steak from Villa.

Not cheap, but I really am tired of experimenting and finding so many places which fall short and I don't want to pay B3000 + for a steak in the New York Steakhouse (Marriott). When I choose my own raw meat I can tell what I'm paying for.

Additionally - It sounds daft, but a steak sandwich really requires excellent beef or you wont be able to take a clean bite.

Last time I was in Chiang Mai I had a great steak at Duke's restaurant in the night market area. There were promoting on their blackboard about the Grain Fed Austrailian Fillet, so I thought I'd give it a try. I've had the expensive grain fed fillets at JW Marriott NY Steakhouse and the Landmark's RR&B in Bangkok many times, and I have to say the quality approached that, but for a lot less baht! The steak wasn't huge, but it was thick and big enough. With salad and fries I think the price was about 800 baht.

A couple of years ago I had an Aussie fillet at Duke's riverside location in Chiang Mai that was OK, but not nearly as good and nothing to rave about. So I don't know if the above steak was just a temporary special on Grain Fed or if they've upped their quality.

I was down waiting to get into the US embassy one day and walked around the block and found a place called Neils Tavern. I had the best steak I have eaten in Thailand there. I spent over a thousand baht for my meal but it was very nice there and the food was great. I walked in in shorts flip flops and a t-shirt and when I saw the wait staff in tuxes I thought they would turn me away or it would be too expensive but they told me sit sit. Came by several times while I was eating to make sure every thing was good too. Great food and the staff were all great too. Do check it out. They also have a bake shop there. Google Neils Tavern and Bake shop in Bangkok and they have the address there. I was glad to have stumbled across the place while having a walk. You will like this place.

Neil's is considered number one, no? Not cheap.

For a good steak in Thailand, you have to pay.

Just look at the prices in the supermarket for a decent imported cut of meat.

That said, the 'historic' Mizus Kitchen on PatPong is a fun place to visit for a cheap steak.

200 baht last time I was there, served on a sizzling plate.

Ron at homerun does a 2 for 1 wagyu steaks on certain days that works out to around 500 baht a piece.

Don't suppose Ron does a one for half, does he, as I'll be on my own and I really couldn't eat two.

I can eat two and have. :)