Chiang Rai Infrastucture To Be Expanded

Jai Dee

TRANSPORT MINISTER TO EXPAND INFRASTRUCTURE IN CHIANG RAI SO AS TO LINK WITH CHINA AND LAOS

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) stated that he will improve the infrastructure in Chiang Rai Province so as to revert the province into a commercial hub with neighboring countries.

The Transport Minister insisted that Transport Ministry will boost constructive mega-projects in CHIANG RAI provice. The mega-projects will include the construction of third bridge crossing the Khong (โขง) River at Chiang Khong (เชียงของ) in Chiang Rai (เชียงราย) province. The bridge will link with R-3 route passing China, Laos, and Thailand. The construction of second Chiang Sean (เชียงแสน) Port and four-lane routes from Chiang Rai (เชียงราย) - Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่) are also within the frame of the planned mega-projects. The Transport Minister insisted that the projects will be managed in a transparent level and will abide with the government's policy.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 November 2005

When i drive back from Mai Sai, or was it when i drive towards Mai Sai, I saw aofficial  sign, saying "The second friendshipbridge"  :o does someone know about this?

A bridge is planned over the Mekong connecting Chiang Khong on the Thai side with Houay Xai on the Lao side. Preliminary feasibility has been completed, construction expected to start within a couple of years.

This bridge will connect Thailand to S China by road through N Lao, the 250 Km road on the Lao side is well underway and planned to be open by early 2007 before the bridge.

Means you should be able to drive from Singapore to Beijing.

TRANSPORT MINISTER TO EXPAND INFRASTRUCTURE IN CHIANG RAI SO AS TO LINK WITH CHINA AND LAOS

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) stated that he will improve the infrastructure in Chiang Rai Province so as to revert the province into a commercial hub with neighboring countries.

The Transport Minister insisted that Transport Ministry will boost constructive mega-projects in CHIANG RAI provice. The mega-projects will include the construction of third bridge crossing the Khong (โขง) River at Chiang Khong (เชียงของ) in Chiang Rai (เชียงราย) province. The bridge will link with R-3 route passing China, Laos, and Thailand. The construction of second Chiang Sean (เชียงแสน) Port and four-lane routes from Chiang Rai (เชียงราย) - Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่) are also within the frame of the planned mega-projects. The Transport Minister insisted that the projects will be managed in a transparent level and will abide with the government's policy.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 November 2005

:D Transparency and government policy - a bit oxymoronic I think.

:o Homealone

:D Transparency and government policy - a bit oxymoronic I think.

:D Homealone

Not at all, Mr. Homealone, not at all!

I don't know if I am the only person who is crazy in this forum, but I think I strongly remember blue 50 Baht notes, which were made transparent.

I mean they weren't transparent in their totality (otherwise we would never have known that they were 50 Baht notes), but there was a hole in it, which wasn't really a hole, because it was of transparent plastic.

More like a window to look through, even it wasn't shaped like a window.

I didn't see them for a long time.

Maybe they were used to make public contracts more transparent.

I wonder when they show up again and where (in Stuttgart?).

Limbo. :o

I don't know if I am the only person who is crazy in this forum, but I think I strongly remember blue 50 Baht notes, which were made transparent.

I mean they weren't transparent in their totality (otherwise we would never have known that they were 50 Baht notes), but there was a hole in it, which wasn't really a hole, because it was of transparent plastic.

More like a window to look through, even it wasn't shaped like a window.

You mean this one Limbo?

50bahtnote.jpg

/Edit - here is the current one:

50bahtnote_new.jpg

Dear Mr. Jai Dee, I knew I could count on you.

What a relief! Thanks!

I started to think that I had seen non-existing things and to have serious doubts about my mental state. It could have been quite serious.

So I am happy to have seen which wasn't there, because it wasn't supposed to be there, so it actually wasn't. Simple enough, because you look through it!

I could have found out that myself.

Help :o

Limbo.

There's a second bridge being constructed, east of the main one to Tachilek.  Don't know what it will lead to, exactly.

Dear Joel,

I think the name of the bridge says it all: Friendship!

The bridge will lead to an intensified friendship between the peoples of Tachilek and Mae Sai, who for too long have been so cruelly separated by a little river, cq national border.

And 'friendship' should be red as a mutually benefitting economical co-operation of course.

I think both towns more than doubled their size during the last ten years.

The wealthy of Tachilek are sending their children already to schools in Mae Sai and soon they will be buying cheese in Tesco Lotus. A sad procesion of cheap Burmese labour force crosses the bridge every day.

The same bridge so many of us crossed so many times.

Two big towns, only connected by one little ugly bridge (if we don't count the semi-legal, probably illegal, little ferryboats which cross the river with Burmese citizens for fares sometimes up to 50 Baht).

Tachilek is far from Rangoon and Mae Sai is far from Bangkok. It is a positive sign for the economic development of this area that the natioal central powers don't turn a deaf ear on the needs of the peoples of a split urban area.

Limbo :o

• 2 weeks later...
There's a second bridge being constructed, east of the main one to Tachilek.  Don't know what it will lead to, exactly.

Been finished for a year, but now they're constructing buildings for customs, as I understand things.. Thng is, on the Tachilek side there's really nothing around (Mae sai side has even less of something) To me, it seems like a bridge for all those big vehicles that currently squeeze through the throngs of people at the old bridge, thereby bypassing the main tourist areas on both sides. I certainly hope they're not considering moving all customs stuff to the new bridge....

• 1 month later...

New border bridge to be opened to-day January 22. Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

CHIANG RAI: -- The second Thai-Burmese friendship bridge, crossing the Mae Sai river, will be opened tomorrow in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district. Burmese Foreign Minister Nyan Win and his Thai counterpart Kantathi Suphamongkhon will preside over the opening ceremony at Ban San Pak Hee.

The 400-million-baht project, which consists of the second Mae Sai bridge, linking roads and state office buildings was completed in November last year.

Burmese authorities have reportedly launched a massive crackdown recently on narcotics and illegal weapons in the border town of Tachilek to ensure a smooth opening.

Mae Sai district chief Chusak Uppanant, said the new bridge, which was built by the Thai government, was aimed at easing traffic congestion on the 36-year-old Mae Sai bridge, which cuts through commercial and residential areas.

The second Mae Sai bridge would also promote trade and transport between Thailand and Burma and link northern Thailand with China via Burma's 270-km Mae Sai-Tachilek-Kengtung-Talo route.

Mr Chusak said the old Mae Sai bridge, which leads to the centre of Tachilek in Burma, would be mainly used for tourism, while the second bridge would serve border trade businesses. ''The new friendship bridge will eventually boost trade under the quadrangle economic cooperation and the one-stop service system will shorten customs procedures,'' he said.

Meanwhile, the Thai-Burmese Township Border Committee met on Wednesday in Mae Sai district to work out details of the establishment of a permanent border checkpoint and to draft measures on suppression of smuggling between the two countries after the bridge is opened.

Thai exports to Burma through Chiang Rai have reached 2.65 billion baht while imports stand at 258 million baht.

--Bangkok Post 2006-01-21

This new bridge across the Mae Sai (river) used to be called "Friendship Bridge" but they changed the name to "Off Topic Bridge" because it isn't the one mentioned in the original post. The original post talked about a third bridge across the Khong River...also known as the Mae Khong (river)....but that's ok because in the Chiang Rai forum if you're not off topic then there probably isn't any topic at all!!!! As you may have noticed (or not) the What's happening around Chiang Rai topic that used to be pinned at the top of this forum has disappeared....probably since nothing has been posted there since last year!!!!! Not alot happening up here....might as well just stay down south.....its way too much trouble to journey way up here....and....quite frankly.....why bother?

The topic is about Chiang Rai infrastructure.

If Mr. Chownah would have taken the trouble to read the contributions to this thread well, he would have noticed that two bridges in the Province Chiang Rai are mentioned.

Please Mr. Chownah,

before you respond, read first. I really don't understand what your purpose is. Is there anything you want to tell us but can't because you are short of words?

Limbo.

The topic is about Chiang Rai infrastructure.

If Mr. Chownah would have taken the trouble to read the contributions to this thread well, he would have noticed that two bridges in the Province Chiang Rai are mentioned.

Please Mr. Chownah,

before you respond, read first. I really don't understand what your purpose is. Is there anything you want to tell us but can't because you are short of words?

Limbo.

Mr. Limbo,

I'm surprised at your narrow sense of humor. I did re-read the original post before making my comments...and the only bridge that was mentioned was one proposed across the Khong River just as I said in my comment. I think that you are overly sensitive about what I post here. My comments are taken by most people with a sense of humor.....

Am I short of words?

Sincerely,

Chownah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Ah!!!! Memories!!!! Memories!!!!! The Good Old Off Topic Bridge Thread!!!

That one was good for a free vacation!!!

Please tell us why you are digging up a year old topic, I know it's boring here but it's surely not that bad when you have to revert to resurrecting a topic which is 16 months old.

This new bridge across the Mae Sai (river) used to be called "Friendship Bridge" but they changed the name to "Off Topic Bridge" because it isn't the one mentioned in the original post. The original post talked about a third bridge across the Khong River...also known as the Mae Khong (river)....but that's ok because in the Chiang Rai forum if you're not off topic then there probably isn't any topic at all!!!! As you may have noticed (or not) the What's happening around Chiang Rai topic that used to be pinned at the top of this forum has disappeared....probably since nothing has been posted there since last year!!!!! Not alot happening up here....might as well just stay down south.....its way too much trouble to journey way up here....and....quite frankly.....why bother?

Yes, tayto, like I said in this post from just a few posts above....in the Chiangrai forum its usually off topic or no topic at all...and I guess you are off topic.....but in a very good way.

I brought back this great old thread for many reasons....one is that indeed there is nothing going on in the forum now....just like when I posted this fine piece of reply sooo long ago...and another reason is that the "where is limbo" thread just remineded me of all the good times he and I had together so long ago....like this thread!!! Oh the great old days of consequence without warning!! Maybe if I get really obnoxious I can bring those good old days back again!!!

Chownah

Yes, tayto, like I said in this post from just a few posts above....in the Chiangrai forum its usually off topic or no topic at all...and I guess you are off topic.....but in a very good way.

I brought back this great old thread for many reasons....one is that indeed there is nothing going on in the forum now....just like when I posted this fine piece of reply sooo long ago...and another reason is that the "where is limbo" thread just remineded me of all the good times he and I had together so long ago....like this thread!!! Oh the great old days of consequence without warning!! Maybe if I get really obnoxious I can bring those good old days back again!!!

Chownah

Come on now.........don't be living in the past.

Get out a bit and see all the wonderful things that are happening around you.

BTW any nice new restaurants around town?

Edited by tayto

On a more upbeat note, they still have lots of beer in Chiang Rai and there is no indication that they are going to run out of it so every day you can sit and slowly boost your mood to euphoria every single day!!!! It doesn't get any better than that!!!!

On a more upbeat note, they still have lots of beer in Chiang Rai and there is no indication that they are going to run out of it so every day you can sit and slowly boost your mood to euphoria every single day!!!! It doesn't get any better than that!!!!

i know there must be lots of beer in chaingrai but my problem is every time i want to buy some i seem to fall into the 2pm to5pm trap in the big c.

and the other evening i tried to buy some beer in two of the 7-11 outlets on the main highway but they have stopped selling the stuff all the time i think

i know there must be lots of beer in chaingrai but my problem is every time i want to buy some i seem to fall into the 2pm to5pm trap in the big c.

and the other evening i tried to buy some beer in two of the 7-11 outlets on the main highway but they have stopped selling the stuff all the time i think

Yes....this is a common problem in Chiangrai...getting close enough to euphoria by 1pm that one forgets about the supply of euphoriate and the awful come down happens at 2:10 pm and you realise too late......I have a solution....buy a watch with an alarm...if you've already got a watch and it either doesn't have an alarm or you use the alarm for some other purpose then that's ok just get ANOTHER watch with an alarm and set the alarm to 1:00pm.....beer inventory time!!! You've got two wrists....now you've got two watches!!!....and you've always got beer!!!!