Thai PM Says Floods In Parts Of Bangkok Inevitable

webfact

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days ago, PM said : Bangkok will not be flooded.

Yesterday, teared-eyes : The government can not do anything.

If she had listened to the experts all around the word instead of trying to look smart enough to handle the situation herself, this situation would be a thousand time better than it is now. Everyone know, even if not an expert, that containing the water in the provinces would have made the situation worse. This is what is happenning. There is lot of water comming to Bangkok. The flow is going to be crazy and I hope no one is going to be on it's way when it arrives.

After what I saw of the PM, it is now clear that she can not govern a country. A good prime minister would have accepted that Bangkok was flooded a way before. He would have said : Citizens of Bangkok, you have 48 hours to get prepared for the flooding. Get your stuffs to higher ground and get supplies in food and drinking water for at least 2 weeks. For those who can not, you will be evacuated. in 48 hours, the water flow is going to arrive and be sure you are at home. If help is needed, every emergency services will be there to help you.

No... she prefered to listen to her own instinct instead of listening to the experts who known what was to happen. This is sad, very sad... but there is already 320 persons who died and now, who knows how many are going to die when the water arrives in bangkok, because of her selfishness.

She have to resign and not after the floodings. She have to resign right now. I can not imagine how worse it is going to get if she stay there and even after, if she try to keep the power, how the people will react. I dont want to see riots that happened a few years ago when many were dying but if she keep the power, this is what is going to happen.

From the news thread:

Govt: Situation of Prapa Canal under control

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, head of the Flood Relief Operations Centre, declared Thursday that the situation of Prapa Canal has been under control.

Pracha also allayed public fear that the water for making tab water had been contaminated by floodwaters. He said the quality of tab water would not be affected.

Late Wednesday night, floodwaters penetrated a dyed to enter the Prapa Canal, whose water is use for making editable water, causing the water on the Prapa Canal to overflow its banks at certain spots.

Pracha told a press conference that the level of water on the Prapa Canal has been reduced to prevent it from overflowing the embankments.

Why must the lies continue? I live 300m from a spot where this canal is STILL overflowing, going there to help with sandbags right now. The water level in our village next to the canal is increasing and only the local lake to saving us at the moment. Lying SOB's the lot of them.

I think Yingluck might resign soon. This is not what she signed up for. Her donning of US$350 Burberry boots to visit flood victims without a second thought typifies how far removed from reality she is and she may be close to a nervous breakdown by now, along with Kittirat who also looks close to breaking point in front of the cameras. The only senior PT minister who has not discredited himself in the flood crisis is Chalerm....

excerpt from the 'other' english-language newspaper:

"Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung ... said that the government has, so far, been doing well in handling the flood problem without any criticism from the public except the Democrats and the prime minister herself has been widely praised for doing a good job"

Was there ever really any doubt by anyone with a working brain?

The thing of it is, this isn't the fault of the current government, but every government for the past 20+ years. Thailand is a country that has annual flooding. But it worsens each year when rampant deforestation is allowed for resorts and private mansions, which results is fewer trees and other types of growth which can soak up the rain, as well as provide stability for the soil. It happens when factories and housing estates are built in low lying areas, there by impeding the natural flow of water. And all of this is caused by the greed which permeates Thai society and thinking at every level. "Live for today, make as much money as you can, and who cares about tomorrow" should be the motto for Thailand, not "Land of Smiles". I don't see a lot of smiling going on now.

No, wait, I take that back. I see a few from those here in the north who are smiling and saying that it's about time that "precious Bangkok" is finally getting a taste of what the rest of the country has to deal with on an almost yearly basis.

This flood is a tragedy which I doubt any Thai government could effectively deal with, or could have prevented under the current circumstances. The loss of lives and property, as well as businesses is sad by any means. The best Thailand can hope for is that they will actually LEARN from this, and then take the necessary steps to develop a new water management program that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and not just BKK. Far too many in BKK think that they are the "center of the universe" when it comes to Thailand, and don't really care about the "provinces". Perhaps now they will wake up and realize that what happens in the provinces, CAN and WILL affect Bangkok.

Time will tell.

And who, as the dominant feature of Thailand has been in situ for all of then period that you mention, has amassed great personal fortunes, and is the most corrupt of all?

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

Roman contributions include;

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

But apart from all that, what did the Romans do for us?

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

What do you think the government is not doing that they should be doing?

knock, knock, anyone in? Knock, knock, knock - funny, the lights are on, but there's nobody in!:ph34r:

Roman contributions include;

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

LOL. Funny in of itself for those who don't remember one of many classic lines from "the life of brian" monty python related.

It's interesting to read all the criticism here of how 'badly' Thailand has handled the situation with the unspoken implication that that posters 'home' country would have done 'better'.

Think back to Katrina as an example, and the biggest country in the world did no better in a crisis situation.

It's interesting to read all the criticism here of how 'badly' Thailand has handled the situation with the unspoken implication that that posters 'home' country would have done 'better'.

Think back to Katrina as an example, and the biggest country in the world did no better in a crisis situation.

They don't want to hear that Tatsujin, they'd have nothing t bit ch about ..........

The thing of it is, this isn't the fault of the current government, but every government for the past 20+ years. Thailand is a country that has annual flooding. But it worsens each year when rampant deforestation is allowed for resorts and private mansions, which results is fewer trees and other types of growth which can soak up the rain, as well as provide stability for the soil. It happens when factories and housing estates are built in low lying areas, there by impeding the natural flow of water. And all of this is caused by the greed which permeates Thai society and thinking at every level. "Live for today, make as much money as you can, and who cares about tomorrow" should be the motto for Thailand, not "Land of Smiles". I don't see a lot of smiling going on now.

No, wait, I take that back. I see a few from those here in the north who are smiling and saying that it's about time that "precious Bangkok" is finally getting a taste of what the rest of the country has to deal with on an almost yearly basis.

This flood is a tragedy which I doubt any Thai government could effectively deal with, or could have prevented under the current circumstances. The loss of lives and property, as well as businesses is sad by any means. The best Thailand can hope for is that they will actually LEARN from this, and then take the necessary steps to develop a new water management program that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and not just BKK. Far too many in BKK think that they are the "center of the universe" when it comes to Thailand, and don't really care about the "provinces". Perhaps now they will wake up and realize that what happens in the provinces, CAN and WILL affect Bangkok.

Time will tell.

VERY well put. Thanks.

What do you think the government is not doing that they should be doing?

Communicating.

Yes if had known it was this bad i would have taken other measures. Now i am stuck in my village (surrounded by water) with it slowly flooding. Im only 20km from BKK.

According to the government it would be all right. They never had the courage to admit things were out of control. Idiots

They are deliberately mishandling the situation so that a few months from now (probably in December or January) she can resign (after first exonerating her brother) so that he can come back in a quick vote to take over. By January we'll have Thaksin back in power, I'd bet my bottom dollar on it. Or the situation will get so bad that some emergency legislation will magically be enacted to bring him back as a "co-PM" or something like that (a problem shared is a problem halved) and then some time next year she will quietly resign leaving him in charge.

Edited by FalangBaa

With Respect, if Australia couldn't deal with their floods, and every possible action was taken, what hope does Thailand have ?

Haha, right you are.....and what to think of the Gods from the USA........they are still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Catherina, isn't it, and all those "experts" are at Don Muang now, telling the government what to do? Just make my f*cking day!

A few decades ago there was this song........forgot the singer: "Let it flow, let it flow, let it flow!"

Yes this is a natural event. No government past or present could have stopped it. How ever it is a state of emergency and calling it that would have allowed the army to step in no holds barred. That means a huge workforce and the end to dyke destruction. I for one am tired of the old defense she is new to politics. This situation has nothing to do with politics and the more she tries to use politically correct measures to deal with it the longer it will continue to be a problem.

Time will tell.

A sensible post Just1. Yes, after the flood of 1942, MANY projects could have been implemented VERY economically and efficiently - Bangkok could have been still called The Venice of the East to this day.

I just read in the paper that the Royal Irrigation Department have made it official. Bangkok is going to flood as some canals they have released water into have broken their banks.

I reckon, Not much hope of stopping it now.

Edited by OZEMADE

You are correct. They did far worse. With a much less severe natural event, with much better infrastructure and resources... they failed on an epic scale.

To those who point to the Japanese ... Really? An Earthquake - no looting - no confusion - a meltdown contained - Really? "Bad job Japan" Really? Wow. It took the US months to plug a hole in a broken pipe from a FORESEEABLE event.

Oh, and the UK - Riots and looting in the streets. The police powerless to protect the citizens. Jolly Good Show! NOT!

Perhaps the lesson here is to learn from the average Thai, whose positive, cooperative, "can do" attitude will carry the day. A year from now, the US will be bankrupted, the Euro will be near worthless, Britain a tiny hungry island..

and Thailand? Thriving and Smiling!

Thai PM Says Floods In Parts Of Bangkok Inevitable...

That has been expected for quite some time - where is the news?

From previous posts and newsflashes:

Posted 2011-10-14 12:30:14

Thai PM reassures Bangkok residents that city will be safe from flooding - Reuters /via@BreakingNews

Posted 2011-10-15 11:58:12

Prime Minister Yingluck reassures effectiveness of measures to deal with upcoming floods

BANGKOK, 15 October 2011 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra this morning revealed steps to protect Bangkok and other economic centers of the country from floods in which, she said, both existing and new canals to be dredged will be used to accelerate the speed of floodwater into the sea.

I think Yingluck might resign soon. This is not what she signed up for. Her donning of US$350 Burberry boots to visit flood victims without a second thought typifies how far removed from reality she is and she may be close to a nervous breakdown by now, along with Kittirat who also looks close to breaking point in front of the cameras. The only senior PT minister who has not discredited himself in the flood crisis is Chalerm....

Why should she resign?

She did all the important tasks well. Protecting Shinawatra assets, bring family members in key positions and as soon as the water goes away there is a lot bribe money to make on repairing everything.

Exactly

mates plz tell me if areas like sukhumvit and pratunam are effected too . are all malls in this area closed? as i will be there in 3 days and dont understand whats going on where??

also is pattaya affected????

plz plz reply

Pattaya should be fine.

CBD area of Bangkok is normal (for now).

Malls in this area are all open (for now).

Don't worry though, if the malls in bangkok close, the malls in Pattaya have the same shops selling the same stuff

mates plz tell me if areas like sukhumvit and pratunam are effected too . are all malls in this area closed? as i will be there in 3 days and dont understand whats going on where??

also is pattaya affected????

plz plz reply

Pattaya is nowhere near of major rivers and not going be affected.