Thai PM Says Floods In Parts Of Bangkok Inevitable

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport, Thailand’s main international airport, is operating normally and protected with a 3.5-meter barrier to prevent floods, Air Chief Marshal Sumet Phomanee, chairman of airport operator Airports of Thailand Pcl, said today by phone. In the worst-case scenario of the facility being flooded, airlines would be asked to relocate operations to the U-Tapao airport in the eastern province of Chonburi.

funniest thing I've heard today! The third busiest airport in Asia, and 13th busiest in the world, and taking their air traffic and relocating it to U-Tapao!!!

I suppose they'd have to do something, but man, where are they gonna park all those jets? Where are the passengers going to dis/embark? Checkin counters? OMG that would be a very sad place to pass thru in such a crisis!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found this to be a useful site for information about conditions.

http://www.google.or...flood-2011.html

(What a concept! Sharing useful information during an emergency! It must be nice to have the luxury of being so far removed from the world around you, you can just sit and poke fun it it. And you wonder why the Thais can not wait to be rid of you! )

Care to explain who "you" is?

My pleasure. "You" is foreigners who came here for cheap sex, low cost of labor, a lazy life style and snobbish attitude toward the people of Thailand. "You" are those sitting far from the fray judging everyone and everything around them in a negative light. "You" is anyone who takes pleasure in this suffering, and thinks Thais have the time and energy to be your entertainment when constructive input would have real value. "You" are the hungry crocodiles at the mouth of the river, waiting for poor farm girls to come to your little playground to earn money to send home, hungry for desperate labor willing to make your $200 Nike's for 200 BAHT, hungry for the Baht to become cheap so you can hoard a few hundred thousand and skate for a few more years.

"You" are on your way "Out"

(What a concept! Sharing useful information during an emergency! It must be nice to have the luxury of being so far removed from the world around you, you can just sit and poke fun it it. And you wonder why the Thais can not wait to be rid of you! )

My pleasure. "You" is foreigners who came here for cheap sex, low cost of labor, a lazy life style and snobbish attitude toward the people of Thailand. "You" are those sitting far from the fray judging everyone and everything around them in a negative light. "You" is anyone who takes pleasure in this suffering, and thinks Thais have the time and energy to be your entertainment when constructive input would have real value. "You" are the hungry crocodiles at the mouth of the river, waiting for poor farm girls to come to your little playground to earn money to send home, hungry for desperate labor willing to make your $200 Nike's for 200 BAHT, hungry for the Baht to become cheap so you can hoard a few hundred thousand and skate for a few more years.

Glad they are talking about You Richard and not ME. Next.

mates plz tell me if areas like sukhumvit and pratunam are effected too . are all malls in this area closed? as i will be there in 3 days and dont understand whats going on where??

also is pattaya affected????

plz plz reply

Pattaya is nowhere near of major rivers and not going be affected.

The only problem I foresee would be some degree of difficulty getting to Pattaya, should the area around Suwanaphum flood, although, to be honest, I can't see the water reaching there

in the next three days. After that, the only problem would be if the Bang Pakong burst it's banks and cut off motorway access to Chonburi

How do you know so much about Me-You-Me. :rolleyes: Have a crystal ball "A" B)

You read it in the paper?? Bit out of date then I reckon

I just read in the paper that the Royal Irrigation Department have made it official. Bangkok is going to flood as some canals they have released water into have broken their banks.

I reckon, Not much hope of stopping it now.

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

Roman contributions include;

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

If there was a like button, Pogal, I would have liked that.. a lot! Thanks for making me laugh! And sanitation.. he forgot the sanitation....

Was there ever really any doubt by anyone with a working brain?

The thing of it is, this isn't the fault of the current government, but every government for the past 20+ years. Thailand is a country that has annual flooding. But it worsens each year when rampant deforestation is allowed for resorts and private mansions, which results is fewer trees and other types of growth which can soak up the rain, as well as provide stability for the soil. It happens when factories and housing estates are built in low lying areas, there by impeding the natural flow of water. And all of this is caused by the greed which permeates Thai society and thinking at every level. "Live for today, make as much money as you can, and who cares about tomorrow" should be the motto for Thailand, not "Land of Smiles". I don't see a lot of smiling going on now.

No, wait, I take that back. I see a few from those here in the north who are smiling and saying that it's about time that "precious Bangkok" is finally getting a taste of what the rest of the country has to deal with on an almost yearly basis.

This flood is a tragedy which I doubt any Thai government could effectively deal with, or could have prevented under the current circumstances. The loss of lives and property, as well as businesses is sad by any means. The best Thailand can hope for is that they will actually LEARN from this, and then take the necessary steps to develop a new water management program that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and not just BKK. Far too many in BKK think that they are the "center of the universe" when it comes to Thailand, and don't really care about the "provinces". Perhaps now they will wake up and realize that what happens in the provinces, CAN and WILL affect Bangkok.

Time will tell.

Your first paragraph has some credibility.

The rest of your post fits right into the "burn Bangkok" mentality and contributes to the disunity issue that the current Govt claims to be trying to repair.

Did you ever think about where those workers in those industrial estates are from? It's not Silom Road.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension skills. No where in my post did I express anything close to what you call the "burn Bangkok" mentality. I stated a FACT that there are some people here in the north who are happy to finally see BKK get a taste of what the rest of the provinces suffer on an almost yearly basis, with little to no real help, while those in BKK scream about saving their precious city, as if Bangkok IS Thailand.

I have seen more than one poster in the "other" newspaper who has clearly stated, they DON'T CARE about what happens to the rest of Thailand, but BKK must be saved AT ALL COSTS. From your comments to me, it would appear that's the camp you are in as well. The flooding situation in Thailand has been ignored for far too long by far too many governments, and while I am not in favor in any way of seeing more damage and destruction to ANY part of Thailand, if it takes Bangkok finally getting a sample of what the rest of the country suffers from to finally make the changes that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and NOT just Bangkok, then so be it.

Richard - you are one very sad little man, using the pretext of this disaster to spout your own prejudices, and I think you will find the workers making your $200 Nikes are very happy to have the jobs !!!!

You read it in the paper?? Bit out of date then I reckon

I just read in the paper that the Royal Irrigation Department have made it official. Bangkok is going to flood as some canals they have released water into have broken their banks.

I reckon, Not much hope of stopping it now.

Not really out of date, it's todays news only a couple of hours ago in the breaking news section. You know the paper we are not allowed to mention here. :whistling:

Happy to have taken the bait...It allowed me to share with Thai Visa Peanut Gallery a very real frustration I and other feel. You, of course..are, as always...a saint. Love to chat more, but on my way to actually HELP some people. Bye Bye.

I just read in the paper that you were on your way to help people!!

I would like to add to the list, those who think that just because they've married a local and living in some moobaan who thinks they know what is best for Thailand and the Thais, those who are more well off financially than the locals, not because they are more competent and capable (which they thing they are) but just because they had the fortune to be born into a first world country with a social safety net (pensions) but for how much longer?

This reminds me of a phrase that was very common in Hong Kong a few years ago - FILTH - failed in London, try Hong Kong. "You" are those that have failed in your home countries yet too arrogant and ignorant to realise it.

Well Said, Thank you

We can turn an inevitable disaster positive. Make it a national new year so people can go home or go holidaying where it is not affected. It will be good for all industries, relieving the tourism industry during new years, the power industry, when demand is low, and most of all, each of our own pockets, because we wont have to pay too much for high demands!! cheaper hotel rooms and cheaper electricity costs..!! and for those who like water recreation, its an excellent time!! tide is right for fishing, waterfalls are not dry, and wind is excellent for surfing! When alls returned to normal and when tourists come rolling in, we'll all be recharged to provide the best service and show off what Thailand's got to offer.

A great deal of merchandise sold in Thailand is from China and other developing countries where labor is cheap. Thai factories have no qualms taking advantage of Burmese labor. Hopefully nobody is taking pleasure in the suffering but contrary to your analysis, thus far it has been Thais taking advantage of the flood to make more money than usual. Jacked up prices, outrageous expensive boat rides, perhaps kickbacks from all those boats that spun propellers at government expense. 90% of 36 million of international Tsunami aid stolen.

Thai society is indeed dysfunctional for numerous reasons well already known.

Perhaps this is the reason so many intellectually challenged expats call it home. Perhaps why so many expats seem to fit right in with the lowest levels of society.

Just when it was announced in Chiang Mai that the rain was finished for the winter, we just got hit with very heavy rainstorms.

2415 users reading this article, that's the most I have ever seen.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

I'm more reminded of Bush 'fiddling' whilst New Orleans drowned. The inaction and lack of imagination shown by both governments and their support agencies is comparable.

Sadly for the people involved whatever is now done will be too little and too late.

I would like to add to the list, those who think that just because they've married a local and living in some moobaan who thinks they know what is best for Thailand and the Thais, those who are more well off financially than the locals, not because they are more competent and capable (which they thing they are) but just because they had the fortune to be born into a first world country with a social safety net (pensions) but for how much longer?

This reminds me of a phrase that was very common in Hong Kong a few years ago - FILTH - failed in London, try Hong Kong. "You" are those that have failed in your home countries yet too arrogant and ignorant to realise it.

A standard can't-cope-with-criticism response, usually heard from those too proud to admit local shortcomings. It's better to criticise than to sweep problems under the carpet. How else will things improve?

I see you have been a menber of TV for two months+. Welcome to Thailand. Most of us here on TV have made this country our home, some many years ago and want the same as any other retiree. Moderately nice home, family, friends and spend the rest of our days happy. We share our opinions here and when we see something like what has happened in the past few years to this country at the hands of the Shinawatra clan we voice our opinions in disapproval.

The "you" that you described come and go every day and none of those "you people" have any intrest in the wellfare of Thailand or Thai people. We on the other hand are directly affected by everything that goes on in this country. Consequently we care what happens. If you stay here long enough you will learn this.

Aaaaaahhhh...stereotypes! Don't you just love them! Makes life so much easier!

The thing of it is, this isn't the fault of the current government, but every government for the past 20+ years. Thailand is a country that has annual flooding. But it worsens each year when rampant deforestation is allowed for resorts and private mansions, which results is fewer trees and other types of growth which can soak up the rain, as well as provide stability for the soil. It happens when factories and housing estates are built in low lying areas, there by impeding the natural flow of water. And all of this is caused by the greed which permeates Thai society and thinking at every level. "Live for today, make as much money as you can, and who cares about tomorrow" should be the motto for Thailand, not "Land of Smiles". I don't see a lot of smiling going on now.

No, wait, I take that back. I see a few from those here in the north who are smiling and saying that it's about time that "precious Bangkok" is finally getting a taste of what the rest of the country has to deal with on an almost yearly basis.

This flood is a tragedy which I doubt any Thai government could effectively deal with, or could have prevented under the current circumstances. The loss of lives and property, as well as businesses is sad by any means. The best Thailand can hope for is that they will actually LEARN from this, and then take the necessary steps to develop a new water management program that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and not just BKK. Far too many in BKK think that they are the "center of the universe" when it comes to Thailand, and don't really care about the "provinces". Perhaps now they will wake up and realize that what happens in the provinces, CAN and WILL affect Bangkok.

Time will tell.

The rest of your post fits right into the "burn Bangkok" mentality and contributes to the disunity issue that the current Govt claims to be trying to repair.

Did you ever think about where those workers in those industrial estates are from? It's not Silom Road.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension skills. No where in my post did I express anything close to what you call the "burn Bangkok" mentality. I stated a FACT that there are some people here in the north who are happy to finally see BKK get a taste of what the rest of the provinces suffer on an almost yearly basis, with little to no real help, while those in BKK scream about saving their precious city, as if Bangkok IS Thailand.

I have seen more than one poster in the "other" newspaper who has clearly stated, they DON'T CARE about what happens to the rest of Thailand, but BKK must be saved AT ALL COSTS. From your comments to me, it would appear that's the camp you are in as well. The flooding situation in Thailand has been ignored for far too long by far too many governments, and while I am not in favor in any way of seeing more damage and destruction to ANY part of Thailand, if it takes Bangkok finally getting a sample of what the rest of the country suffers from to finally make the changes that will benefit ALL of Thailand, and NOT just Bangkok, then so be it.

Sorry if I upset you Just1Voice. No offense intended.

Bangkok city accounts for more than 40% of the country's GNP and if we include the suburbs and the industrial estates it's probably over 50%. This was the basis for my comments on the floods and the mentality of people (and I don't mean you) who have the "Burn Bangkok" or "let Bangkok suffer" mentality. When Bangkok floods, people living in Udorn or Surit Thani will suffer, even though they don't understand or realize it. For what it's worth, my home is a lot closer to Udorn than it is to Bangkok. And also BTW it isn't "Bangkok" or a "Province" that suffers, it's the people that suffer and there are quite a lot more THai people (from everywhere in Thailand) living in Bangkok than in any other Province.

In any case I didn't intend to attack you personally and am not going to do that now in this post either.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some concern (by insiders) for the giant pumps in downtown Bkk that are designed to pump water to the CP river. With the tidal surge expected in a couple days, the river will possibly be at a higher level than the water level from which the water is being pumped. Also, the pumps likely run on electricity (probably not on diesel or gas) and how reliable is the electricity supply in those sections of downtown? Unless they have dedicated lines directly from the power suppliers (were talking KM's of 100+mm wire), then it seems likely the AC power will fail to get to the pumps, as hundreds/thousands of places will 'short out' as water levels rise. It would seem AC power would be turned off for large regions, if they're flooded.

All movable machines and vehicles should be moved to higher ground if feasible. Some types, which are too heavy to move on short notice: generators, printing presses, refrigeration units, large pumps, industrial machines, air-con units, etc. Same goes for valuables like diplomas, photos, computers, books, .....and pets.

I'd like to assist, but I feel a bit helpless - like when the tsunami struck: I'd like to help out, but am far away (northernmost Thailand), low on funds, plus it's illegal for a farang to assist in such matters, without a specific work permit.

Note: 15 months ago, the headlines claimed "Thailand's Most Severe Drought in 20 Years!" Maidu's prediction: more extreme droughts and floods for Thailand in successive years - particularly Bkk, unless they can figure a way to raise the whole city 2 to 3 meters.

Want to know where the bigger flood will come in a few years? Along the Mekong watershed, when China gets its 8 mega dams built. ....though 20 months it was at an all-time low of 33 cm in mid-river. We're in an epoch of extreme weather fluctuations.

A standard can't-cope-with-criticism response, usually heard from those too proud to admit local shortcomings. It's better to criticise than to sweep problems under the carpet. How else will things improve?

Of course it's good to criticise, in order for things to improve.

Criticism such as this by Just1Voice, are constructive and valid:

"The thing of it is, this isn't the fault of the current government, but every government for the past 20+ years. Thailand is a country that has annual flooding. But it worsens each year when rampant deforestation is allowed for resorts and private mansions, which results is fewer trees and other types of growth which can soak up the rain, as well as provide stability for the soil. It happens when factories and housing estates are built in low lying areas, there by impeding the natural flow of water. And all of this is caused by the greed which permeates Thai society and thinking at every level."

On the other hand, insults and name calling (buffoons, buffaloes etc) are just inane and shows the intellect and upbringing of the individual.

Time will tell.

Agreed! And I'll add that those Northeners enjoying a little schadenreude might soon stop smiling when it is realised that the economic damage to Bangkok means that there isn't enough tax revenue to pay for the promised rice subsidies. But "share the pain" cuts both ways.

Roman contributions include;

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

But apart from all that, what did the Romans do for us?

Bring civilization in Britannia?? :lol:

Edited by angiud

Time will tell.

Sorry if I upset you Just1Voice. No offense intended.

Bangkok city accounts for more than 40% of the country's GNP and if we include the suburbs and the industrial estates it's probably over 50%. This was the basis for my comments on the floods and the mentality of people (and I don't mean you) who have the "Burn Bangkok" or "let Bangkok suffer" mentality. When Bangkok floods, people living in Udorn or Surit Thani will suffer, even though they don't understand or realize it. For what it's worth, my home is a lot closer to Udorn than it is to Bangkok. And also BTW it isn't "Bangkok" or a "Province" that suffers, it's the people that suffer and there are quite a lot more THai people (from everywhere in Thailand) living in Bangkok than in any other Province.

In any case I didn't intend to attack you personally and am not going to do that now in this post either.

Fair enough. Apology and explanation accepted. Yes, I realize that the flooding of Bangkok would most seriously affect those who can least afford it, and in reality, I don't want to see that happen. There has been more than enough of that already. My point is that maybe.....just maybe...if BKK does get flooded it will finally serve as a wake up call to BKK, as well as the government, and then there might be real, viable plans and programs devised for LONG TERM projects which will prevent this from happening in the future.

I live in Chiang Mai, about 8k from the Ping River. When it flooded there were massive efforts by everyone to help. Luckily it only lasted a couple of days before things returned to relative normal again. One comment I heard quite often here was that the people felt sorry for those downriver, such as Tak and Nakon Sawan, because they would be flooded badly. I personally know of at least two groups of people (mostly red shirts by the way) who organized collections of food, water and medical supplies to take to Tak and Nakon Sawan to help the people there.

No one in their right mind wants to see a situation like that, and hope that they never do again. But the only way to prevent it is to take a proactive approach starting A.S.A.P. that takes in all of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. Take away the provinces, the labor force they provide, as well as the food, and there would be no Bangkok. Which is also true of most major cities throughout the world.

Bangkok just needs to realize they are not Thailand, but only a part of it, and that their needs are not the only ones that matter. If it takes something like this to finally wake them up, then perhaps some good can come from it.