Thai PM Says Floods In Parts Of Bangkok Inevitable

webfact

Dear PM,

Might I suggest that you order all vessels over 30' out to the bay? The current number of naval ships, cargo ships and barges, both active and birthed are displacing a few billion cubic feet of water. Ordering them all out will drop the water level substantially. Just some friendly advice, so not actually considered working since I have no work permit ;)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

Roman contributions include;

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

Interesting, but what's this got to do with Inevitable flooding in parts of Bangkok?

From the news thread:

Govt: Situation of Prapa Canal under control

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, head of the Flood Relief Operations Centre, declared Thursday that the situation of Prapa Canal has been under control.

Pracha also allayed public fear that the water for making tab water had been contaminated by floodwaters. He said the quality of tab water would not be affected.

Late Wednesday night, floodwaters penetrated a dyed to enter the Prapa Canal, whose water is use for making editable water, causing the water on the Prapa Canal to overflow its banks at certain spots.

Pracha told a press conference that the level of water on the Prapa Canal has been reduced to prevent it from overflowing the embankments.

Why must the lies continue? I live 300m from a spot where this canal is STILL overflowing, going there to help with sandbags right now. The water level in our village next to the canal is increasing and only the local lake to saving us at the moment. Lying SOB's the lot of them.

Have they cancelled the necessary work permits for working in Thailand? If you're helping with sand bags you're probably going to need a work permit.

I just read in another thread that volunteers DO NOT need a work permit in this situation.

I just read in another thread that volunteers DO NOT need a work permit in this situation.

It only takes one a-hole policeman, official, or villager to stitch you up in this scenario. I wouldn't risk it. It's Thailand's rules so we must follow it to the letter. :jap:

From the news thread:

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, head of the Flood Relief Operations Centre, declared Thursday that the situation of Prapa Canal has been under control.

Pracha also allayed public fear that the water for making tab water had been contaminated by floodwaters. He said the quality of tab water would not be affected.

Late Wednesday night, floodwaters penetrated a dyed to enter the Prapa Canal, whose water is use for making editable water, causing the water on the Prapa Canal to overflow its banks at certain spots.

Pracha told a press conference that the level of water on the Prapa Canal has been reduced to prevent it from overflowing the embankments.

Why must the lies continue? I live 300m from a spot where this canal is STILL overflowing, going there to help with sandbags right now. The water level in our village next to the canal is increasing and only the local lake to saving us at the moment. Lying SOB's the lot of them.

Have they cancelled the necessary work permits for working in Thailand? If you're helping with sand bags you're probably going to need a work permit.

It would have to be a mean immigration official who arrests you for helping out in these times of need. I was filling sand bags in chia nat last month and didn't even think that I would need a permit to help out the family. Lucky I didn't get caught.

Dear PM,

Might I suggest that you order all vessels over 30' out to the bay? The current number of naval ships, cargo ships and barges, both active and birthed are displacing a few billion cubic feet of water. Ordering them all out will drop the water level substantially. Just some friendly advice, so not actually considered working since I have no work permit ;)

Providing advice is also considered consulting so you will need a permit.;)

"Consulting is providing advice in a particular area of expertise."

Who is that knocking at your door????:D

Care to explain who "you" is?

My pleasure. "You" is foreigners who came here for cheap sex, low cost of labor, a lazy life style and snobbish attitude toward the people of Thailand. "You" are those sitting far from the fray judging everyone and everything around them in a negative light. "You" is anyone who takes pleasure in this suffering, and thinks Thais have the time and energy to be your entertainment when constructive input would have real value. "You" are the hungry crocodiles at the mouth of the river, waiting for poor farm girls to come to your little playground to earn money to send home, hungry for desperate labor willing to make your $200 Nike's for 200 BAHT, hungry for the Baht to become cheap so you can hoard a few hundred thousand and skate for a few more years.

"You" are on your way "Out"

I would like to add to the list, those who think that just because they've married a local and living in some moobaan who thinks they know what is best for Thailand and the Thais, those who are more well off financially than the locals, not because they are more competent and capable (which they thing they are) but just because they had the fortune to be born into a first world country with a social safety net (pensions) but for how much longer?

This reminds me of a phrase that was very common in Hong Kong a few years ago - FILTH - failed in London, try Hong Kong. "You" are those that have failed in your home countries yet too arrogant and ignorant to realise it.

I see, success in life is measured in monetary terms. This must be your "asian values" that you are so proud of - but not too proud to educate yourself and work in the a "western" country.

How is this relevant to my post?

At least I'm glad now, that my work forced me to relocate from BKK to Phuket last year.

Ok we have muggings and Tuk Tuks and constant overpricing, but at least we are dry.

Yeah, we all know Phuket is immune to natural disasters. Enjoy your dryness.

They are deliberately mishandling the situation so that a few months from now (probably in December or January) she can resign (after first exonerating her brother) so that he can come back in a quick vote to take over. By January we'll have Thaksin back in power, I'd bet my bottom dollar on it. Or the situation will get so bad that some emergency legislation will magically be enacted to bring him back as a "co-PM" or something like that (a problem shared is a problem halved) and then some time next year she will quietly resign leaving him in charge.

Apt moniker.

Looking at the government's actions (inaction) to date I am sort of reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned..

Architectural styles : the Roman were inspired by the Greeks. But they were the ones to use extensively the arch, mosaics and frescoes. They built the largest free-standing dome in the world until the 20th century (the Pantheon in Rome, 43m of diametre, or 1m wider than the Bruneleschi's Duomo in Firenze).

Aqueducts and viaducts merit a separate category. They were the ancestors of modern viaduct (suspension bridges, etc.). Aqueducts would bring drinkable water from hundreds of kilometres away and were designed with just the right inclination so that the water would not run too fast (and erode the stone), nor too slow (and evaporate or become muddy). Combined with canalisations and sewers, they enabled a city like Rome to sustain a population of over 1 million.

The Romans developed spectator sports beyond anything seen until then. The Greeks invented the Olympic Games (incl. stadiums), but the Romans gave us the idea of mass entertainment.

The Roman highways were so straight, plane and resistant that some are still used nowadays (e.g. Via Appia). Many modern European highways follow the old Roman highways, as they used the most direct route to connect cities (and most Roman cities still exist nowadays).

Wine-making was not invented by the Romans, but they planted so many vines throughout the empire, that they created a tradition in France, south-western Germany and Mediteranean countries lasting to this day. The world's greatest wines are direct heirs to Roman wines.

The Roman weren't the first to come up with central or floor heating or hot baths, but they certainly spread its used across the empire. Ironically, it is the Japanese who are fans of hot springs and baths nowadays, not the Europeans. But famous thermal springs still exist in Europe, and were especially popular in the 19th century. Some have Roman origins.

The Roman Senate was supposedly founded by Romulus 2756 years ago. The Republic is "only" 2514 years old, but was one of the oldest such system in the world, and one that deeply influenced modern democratic states. The Greek idea of "democracy" is probably further from the current "democratic" system than was the elitist Roman Republic (in fact, politicians nowadays are almost always the same few oligarchs, like in Roman times).

The Julian Calendar, name after its inventor (Gaius Julius "Caesar"), is almost identical to the modern Western calendar reformed by Pope Gregory 1600 years later, and still used by many national Orthodox churches. It has/had all the current months, which names all have meanings in Latin : January (from "Janus", god of the beginning of times), February (from "Februa" a Roman festival), March (from "Mars", the god of war), April (from "aprire" meaning "open", referring to the blossoming of spring), May (from "Maia", goddess of the fertility), June (from "Juno", goddess of women and marriage, hence the expression "June bride"), July (from Julius Caesar himself), August (from emperor Augustus), September ("7th", as March was the 1st month at the time, and September was thus the 7th month), October ("8th"), etc.

The Romans seem to have been the ones to introduce the system of 3-course meal (starter, main dish, desert), inherited by most Western cultures. Note that in India, China, Japan, etc. there is no such tradition.

"When in Rome do like the Romans" I always like to say. Awesome stuff Thanks!

Contrary to a previous post of mine where I said this government lacked true politicians, they seem to have a really good one -- Chalerm. In true politician style, he's pulled his head in when the going gets tough, and left the rest to sink or swim......hahahaha, get it......sink or swim....... Oh please yourselves

I have found this to be a useful site for information about conditions.

http://www.google.or...flood-2011.html

(What a concept! Sharing useful information during an emergency! It must be nice to have the luxury of being so far removed from the world around you, you can just sit and poke fun it it. And you wonder why the Thais can not wait to be rid of you! )

Care to explain who "you" is?

My pleasure. "You" is foreigners who came here for cheap sex, low cost of labor, a lazy life style and snobbish attitude toward the people of Thailand. "You" are those sitting far from the fray judging everyone and everything around them in a negative light. "You" is anyone who takes pleasure in this suffering, and thinks Thais have the time and energy to be your entertainment when constructive input would have real value. "You" are the hungry crocodiles at the mouth of the river, waiting for poor farm girls to come to your little playground to earn money to send home, hungry for desperate labor willing to make your $200 Nike's for 200 BAHT, hungry for the Baht to become cheap so you can hoard a few hundred thousand and skate for a few more years.

"You" are on your way "Out"

I see you have been a menber of TV for two months+. Welcome to Thailand. Most of us here on TV have made this country our home, some many years ago and want the same as any other retiree. Moderately nice home, family, friends and spend the rest of our days happy. We share our opinions here and when we see something like what has happened in the past few years to this country at the hands of the Shinawatra clan we voice our opinions in disapproval.

The "you" that you described come and go every day and none of those "you people" have any intrest in the wellfare of Thailand or Thai people. We on the other hand are directly affected by everything that goes on in this country. Consequently we care what happens. If you stay here long enough you will learn this.

Actually, I do live in Thailand, and yes, a few months ago I just became so fed up with this rubbish I "joined" to respond once in a while. I am happy to see that I have hit a nerve today. I do appreciate your point however, and may stop posting. It is like singing to a pig. "it wastes the singers time, and simply annoys the poor simple beast." I really do have a life, and more important things than this on my plate. Thank you for your reply...it does help me understand what a pointless and futile exercise it is to keep posting. It was not lost on me that not one person commented on the link to Google's excellent maps and information. I mean, why distract from "Job One" .... throwing Thailand under the bus? Enjoy the flood, and the acts of kindness and generosity you will see from the citizens of the Kingdom toward each other ... and you.

At least I'm glad now, that my work forced me to relocate from BKK to Phuket last year.

Ok we have muggings and Tuk Tuks and constant overpricing, but at least we are dry.

Yeah, we all know Phuket is immune to natural disasters. Enjoy your dryness.

Thats exactly what i was thinking, i take it he wasn't here in 2004

Actually, I do live in Thailand, and yes, a few months ago I just became so fed up with this rubbish I "joined" to respond once in a while. I am happy to see that I have hit a nerve today. I do appreciate your point however, and may stop posting. It is like singing to a pig. "it wastes the singers time, and simply annoys the poor simple beast." I really do have a life, and more important things than this on my plate. Thank you for your reply...it does help me understand what a pointless and futile exercise it is to keep posting. It was not lost on me that not one person commented on the link to Google's excellent maps and information. I mean, why distract from "Job One" .... throwing Thailand under the bus? Enjoy the flood, and the acts of kindness and generosity you will see from the citizens of the Kingdom toward each other ... and you.

Ok, I'll comment on the Google maps - the site is down. I checked with downforeveryone and it says the site is down.

Had it been up, and as good a site as you said, I would have given a positive comment.

ThaiVisa is still a great place for information - you just have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

Dear PM,

So is fraternising with your customers -- friend of mine who owns a bar in Pattaya area was fined 40,000 baht for sitting in his bar and talking to the customers. Immigration told him it was classed as working.......but then, T.I.T.

From the news thread:

Can you provde a link to some actual official statement attributable to someone actually authorised to make such policy? Unless you can do so, it's just a rumour ( and there are enough of them to go around already ).

Dear PM,

So is fraternising with your customers -- friend of mine who owns a bar in Pattaya area was fined 40,000 baht for sitting in his bar and talking to the customers. Immigration told him it was classed as working.......but then, T.I.T.

Not really surprising that so few farangs are to be seen manning the barricades, is it?

Ok, I'll comment on the Google maps - the site is down. I checked with downforeveryone and it says the site is down.

Had it been up, and as good a site as you said, I would have given a positive comment.

ThaiVisa is still a great place for information - you just have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

If that is referring to the google crisis map, it is excellent, and I was using it just a few hours ago.

I really hope for all of you living in BKK, that this will pass you by.

Best of luck and fingers crossed :-)

some people have a short memory

Was there ever really any doubt by anyone with a working brain?

Perhaps now they will wake up and realize that what happens in the provinces, CAN and WILL affect Bangkok.

Time will tell.

What brain. I note the bangkok minister of something complacently saying in Mondays paper that he had estimated the waters depth and had been proved correct within one centimetre and Bangkok had been saved!

That was page one Bangkok Post. Page 3 the Ayuddhaya minister said we cant contain it anymore so it will hit Bangkok within hours..............

Yes. What brain

Look at me I have my name in the paper , now what drivel can I spout to get further coverage....

Sorry to hear about Bangkok flooding but rurally 12 million people already are upto their necks... so sympathy is "watered down"

Yes this is a natural event. No government past or present could have stopped it. How ever it is a state of emergency and calling it that would have allowed the army to step in no holds barred. That means a huge workforce and the end to dyke destruction. I for one am tired of the old defense she is new to politics. This situation has nothing to do with politics and the more she tries to use politically correct measures to deal with it the longer it will continue to be a problem.

No holds barred? What additional powers does the military needs that it does not already have? The military has been deployed since day 1 of the crisis. What exactly would this "huge workforce" have accomplished aside from create an additional problem in respect to logistics. The military is hard presses feeding and billeting its personnel in the flood areas now. The limited number of vehicles used to transport materiel and personnel is competing with the need to evacuate civilians and to deliver aid. There is a finite number of people that can be used for sandbagging in any particular place otherwise the people get in the way. More importantly, if there is a shortage of sandbagging supplies, what do you propose the personnel do to pass the time? Even where the military was out in full force along with the police, they were unable to stop selective destruction of the dykes in some areas. Again, what exactly would additional powers for the military are needed and what exactly will those powers achieve? Why position thousands of untrained conscripts in harm's way to assuage your concern for military rule? The shortage is in engineering equipment and personnel, not in manpower. The next shortage will be with medical facilities.

Should Bangkok suffer widespread flood damage, you will have your military emergency and you will get to see the military shooting people, which is apparently the only additional power the military does not presently have.

If that is referring to the google crisis map, it is excellent, and I was using it just a few hours ago.

Yes, it is the Google Crisis Map... what a relief to have some information like that available. Best of luck to you in the days and weeks ahead...

So many parallels with the Eurozone crisis. Crass mismanagement, no long term planning, heads in the sand, denial culture endemic, waves of panic followed by reassurances. and in the end that sickening inevitability of complete disaster, which only we enlightened ones seem to have sussed :rolleyes:

Interesting, but what's this got to do with Inevitable flooding in parts of Bangkok?

Although Nero was fiddling while Rome burned, Roman society had indeed invented/developed/contributed a great deal not only to their own society but to the world, thus it was described as Nero, a single person wasting time as opposed to essentially an entire cabinet.

No one to blame right now I think... Steps should have been taken many years ago and every year it's calculating where the weakes points are and fight against it.

We (the dutch) live in big parts below sea level and that's not something you fix in 1 year (not even in our little country no)... Well I think we all understand this :o

quite an amazing tangent - off topic. three course meals... seriously?

Asian civilizations, history, art & architecture stand on their own and owe nothing to Rome or Greece. Angkor Wat, in the ancient Khmer regional capitol of Angkor - a city of a million when London was a village of 50k or less - makes St Peters in Rome look like a gaudy, smallish Las Vegas casino by comparison.