Disaster Warning Issued For Bangkok

webfact

I live on the "u" in Pathum Thani on that map just down & across the highway from Dreamworld. Still dry here somehow. The Dreamworld side of the canal isn't though afaik.

Ar you saying that Dreamworld has been flooded? sad.gif I had plans on going there on sunday.

I think you probably ought to change your plans. In fact, no one should probably make plans to go to Pathum until this has passed. The flooding around Future Park makes for insane travel through there. As in, it took me 1 hour to get from Zeer Rangsit to Future Park.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

State of Emergency=Disaster Warning

Same Same but different?huh.gif

Apparently, in some peoples' estimation, foreign investors are able to draw a distinction.

'Disaster warning' is much less alarming.

PS: Don't panic.

You beat me to it. May I just add post-58-0-59459500-1319178601_thumb.jpeg which seems very appropriate for the situation :)

douglas-adams.jpg

The kind of non-nonsensical bureaucracy that goes on in Thailand is exactly the kind of thing Adams loved to lampoon. "Getting a firm grasp of Thai politics is not entirely unlike getting a firm grasp a bar of soap in the shower." he would say.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

This should have been done two weeks ago at least.

But let's see what actually get's done to prepare for this disaster .... besides a press conference.

So far almost everything is a reaction .... haven't seen much significant preparation ... except the sandbag walls ... which only delay the floods.

The delay;s that the sandbags are providing should be used for evacuations and preparations.

I agree, especially since there is no special procedure for 'invoking' the Act or declaring a 'disaster'.

A full copy of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act 2007 (English versions) is available here:

http://thailaws.com/...ws/tlaw0397.pdf

It is interesting to see that under the Act all provincial governors (including the BMA Governor) were expected to have prepared disaster plans by the end of 2009. I wonder where these are, or even if they were done. If not, then the governors should be held accountable for some of the chaos. Of course, TIT :(.

Held accountable? Not in Thailand they wont be. And who should do it? The government? "ROTFWL"

"All Singaporeans in Bangkok were ordered to evacuate to higher ground or areas that will be safe from the ravaging floods"

so folks the 64 million baht question is:

what areas will be safe from the ravaging floods?????????

The Golden Mount is going to be a bit crowded!

^ The Evil Dr is a smart doctor.

Just booked a couple of nights in Pattaya.

Pattaya? Out of all places.. bah.gif

Pattaya is probably the closest place to BKK with a capacity to take in refugees - with it currently being low season there is accomodation available and infrastructure that is used to swings in population levels. I am sure those that are looking for respite will be grateful for the room not being taken up by those who wouldn't lower themselves to come here.

You can see the horses in the distance, disappearing over the hill. And we can now lock the barn door.

the bkk farangs have been told to leave their atm cards and pin numbers with the local police and evacuate to lower ground

post-133770-0-29385400-1319186195_thumb.

High tide expected 27/28 October. If the current problem remains then, the water will be with us for considerable time.

Apparently so - for about a month according to my landlord.

Still, at least if/when it floods here in our particular soi in Lamlukka (Pathumthani) we won't have to worry about filth as bad as that from Klong Saen Saep (a by-word for water pollution which runs from Minburi to Prakhanong) and others like Klong Phrapha in Bangers.

Picture Bangkok as a giant saucer with the Thai authorities trying to manage water flow across it and around it,

then add politicians...well, that's what they call a Disaster Area.

Pretty simple really.

Edited by GazR

Pattaya is probably the closest place to BKK with a capacity to take in refugees - with it currently being low season there is accomodation available and infrastructure that is used to swings in population levels. I am sure those that are looking for respite will be grateful for the room not being taken up by those who wouldn't lower themselves to come here.

Alright.

But Bangkok would have to be in flames, shaken by earthquakes and meteorites before I'd evacuate to Pattaya.

Edited by ricku

In terms of on-the-spot reports, I'm not sure how much isolated snapshots help, but I flew out yesterday after staying overnight in Latkrabang. At that time Latkrabang road was flooded up to the curbs at various points, but was still passable for trips to the airport. Interestingly, when I rang my overnight hotel the day before, I had been assured that there was no problem and the roads were fine. My assessment though is that it won't take much more to flood this area just north of the airport and south of Highway 7. Suvarnabhumi was still okay with no sign of any unwanted water and most flights on time.

I live on the "u" in Pathum Thani on that map just down & across the highway from Dreamworld. Still dry here somehow. The Dreamworld side of the canal isn't though afaik.

Ar you saying that Dreamworld has been flooded? sad.gif I had plans on going there on sunday.

Getting tired of this flood.

"Getting tired of this flood" ???

Have you actually had wet feet yet? Or been inconvenienced?

Dreamworld? Actually it's Nightmareworld for some people in flooded areas. Some have lost everything.:(

Plan on Dreamworld around Christmas.

Floodwalls will not be able to save Bangkok from huge water mass from North, Army Chief Prayuth says

/via@Biz_TheNation

Only the Army is willing to tell the people the truth about this flood.

Aye, but can you believe some of the Red Shirt loonies believe that the opposition and Army are actually causing the floods?! :blink:

I was ok to in Phatumtani, until my brother called me from UK saying the BBC had announced, over a week ago, that BKK owuldn't be flooded, because the reports, accurate reports, stated that the govnt had decided to flood all areas north of BKK to hold the capital. I've never seen or heard or such a selfish act in all of my life.

With all due respect did not your partner ( I am presuming that your partner is Thai ) take note of the local news, did you not search the internet for information?

Relying on ones brother in the U.K was to my mind a trifle shortsighted.

A lot of my U.K contacts have been in touch via Twitter and F.B. and I also directed them to this and other sites as in my view other sources were able to update quicker than I could..

I can understand your bitterness and for what its worth to you I and I am sure many others sympathy too. However you are not alone in your losses, I, and members of my family have experienced losses too, business wise and to a lesser degree property wise.

However to wish evil on others who are albeit in a lesser predicament at this moment in time is not a very pleasant action. Others have the same to lose as you, Would you actually derive satisfaction from seeing yet more innocent victims suffer at the hands of an incompetent mis-administration ?

Edited by siampolee

after following the flood stories on the news the last few weeks I have concluded the following

1. The flooding of BK was always going to happen

2. Trying to pevent it was foolish and has prolonged the issue to the point where

it will now be a huge torrent as opposed to a gradual release

3. Because of the above points - people in the North have been subjected to unnecessary prolonged suffering - the water should have been gradually let go long ago rather than allow this huge build up to save a few streets in BK

4. Concluding that the authorities have no clue what they are doing and it's time for a confidence vote against the current PM/government before this gets any worse.

This whole flood issue has existed far too long and it's now time to pull the plug and let these waters drain to the sea, the damage can not be allowed to continue any longer

Plus my flight arrives in BKK in 2x weeks and it better all be sorted by then :ph34r:

Edited by smedly

Getting tired of this flood.

"Getting tired of this flood" ???

Have you actually had wet feet yet? Or been inconvenienced?

Dreamworld? Actually it's Nightmareworld for some people in flooded areas. Some have lost everything.:(

Plan on Dreamworld around Christmas.

Yeah, it is truly horrific. Yesterday Starbucks ran out of large cups and customers were forced to make do with two small cups. I am sure Thaksin or his minions are somehow responsible. How much more can we take??

Earlier today there was water coming up out of the drains on Sukhumvit Soi 23 by the Jasmine and 7/11 but it stopped after a while.

But that happens almost every year. Ratchadaphisek floods, the mouth of the lower Sois Sukhumvit flood, but they are quick receding (usually within a couple hours of the rain stopping).

I think we're in for something different, but again, no one seems to know what parts of central Bangkok SPECIFICALLY will flood.

I've lived here 9 years and the water that is coming down from the North has never come down like this before. I really don't think any of our past experiences are going to help predict what's going to happen.

BTW, if you don't like Pattaya, I'm in Phuket for the next couple days and there are no floods here... :whistling:

But that happens almost every year. Ratchadaphisek floods, the mouth of the lower Sois Sukhumvit flood, but they are quick receding (usually within a couple hours of the rain stopping).

The only difference is that it wasn't raining when this happened.

I guess this shows an increased flow in the sewage system under the roads.

I think most of us got that bit about you and others think the goverment is incompetent - but do we have to have pages and pages of slightly different ways of saying the same thing. Of course, The Nation and Sondhi's mouthpiece are pumping out "articles" at a similar rate so that it almost self perpetuating.

Somebody let me know when the braying has stopped.

Edited by george

The only difference is that it wasn't raining when this happened.

I guess this shows an increased flow in the sewage system under the roads.

OH! I stand corrected, sir.

Then what you are seeing is exactly what I was talking about--something never seen beofre. Water coming out of the sewers there without a rainfall within an hour or two?! Wow.

what about the Cholera and Typhoid risks now with so much water around?

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

My opinion is that They are trying to get BMA to obey her orders - to flood Bangkok and Suphan Buri to share the burden and slow down the process. So far these district are not with her and they are protecting the city.

The only source of information I trust comes from Bangkok Governor not FROC.

Typical Singaporeans listen to their embassy if they had not evacuate by now, they will be quick to move as soon they hear advise from Foreign Minister - within an hour, I'm at the Bus terminal to get out. I was planning for tomorrow.

Whereas Bangkok is under BMA, SuphanBuri is not. I'm not sure flooding SuphanBuri would even help at this late stage. PM Yingluck could have asked the brother of the Minister for Agriculture to co-operate. This k. Banharn seems to have lots of influence in that province <_<

I think invoking this law makes it clear that the government are going to allow more aggressive opening of gates than Sukhumband wanted. Just before it was invoked he was talking about closing gates again. Everyone in flooded areas is calling for the BKK gates to be opened to channel or at least try to channel water out. Yingluck is responding to his and overruling the BKK governor who obviously has BKK to think about. It also clears all bureacratic hitches as now everyone is under Yingluck and her appointed deputy (Pracha). This includes the Bangkok governor. Im not sure too that opening the Suphan buri gates would make a difference now but if it would it is cleared to be done without obstruction from the local governor and local bodies that are controlled by the local lords.

Are you saying that Sukhumband has been deliberately keeping the gates shut and thus aggravating the situation in already flooded areas? If so, this sounds like a dastardly political game to make the government look incompetent at the expense of the people they claim to serve.

Edited by Bkkorupcountry

Interestingly, even the American Embassy is providing more detailed warning information than PM Yingluck. A friend just forwarded me the following from an email that was sent out to Americans registered in their warning system:

--------

Emergency Message to US Citizens

October 21, 2011

Flooding continues in central Thailand and is becoming more widespread

in the Bangkok Metropolitan area. It is unknown how long these

conditions will persist. Water levels are dropping in most other parts

of Thailand that have been flooded. As a purely precautionary measure,

U.S. citizens assigned to the Embassy who live approximately 12

kilometers north of central Bangkok in Pakred District, Nonthaburi

Province have the option of relocating for a few days to central

Bangkok, should they wish to do so. Extensive flooding in Thailand,

especially in Central Thailand between Bangkok and Sukhotai, has caused

considerable damage and loss of life. In many flooded areas, surface

transportation has either been suspended or diverted around those areas.

Portions of highways are closed and bus and train services linking

Bangkok with points to the north are suspended and some routes to the

northeast have been diverted.

Since the situation is changing rapidly, we recommend that you monitor

local media sources. We are posting general information, guidance about

the flood situation, and resources for U.S. citizens on our website at:

http://bangkok.usemb...nformation.html and on the Embassy

Facebook page:

http://www.facebook....39229522811253. Updated

notifications with information for U.S. citizens are available via

Twitter at @ACSBKK <http://twitter.com/> .

If you live within the Bangkok Metropolitan area and are affected by the

flooding and need urgent assistance, contact the Bangkok Metropolitan

Administration's flood hotline at 1555. If you live elsewhere, contact

the Thai Government's English-speaking Tourist Police, who can be

reached nationwide by dialing 1155. For general information you can

contact the Government Call Center at 1111 ext. 5. For Thai speakers,

there are hotlines for trains: 1690; buses: 1490; highway: 1586,

1784; and 1146 for local roads; highway police: 1193, and emergencies:

191. You can see the Thai Meteorological Department's weather forecasts

and warnings at its website, www.tmd.go.th/en/. On Twitter, unverified

flood information provided by members of general public is tracked with

#ThaiFloodEng.

---------------------

Note the Twitter hash tag they have provided. That will likely provide better and more accurate current information that the Thai Government.

... sorry, but - apart from being in English - I don't see anything that hasn't been repeated ad nauseum for weeks now all day on about every Thai TV-station one may happen to tune int

Thank you for this insane comment. I have a "Top 5 List of the Stupidest Sentences I have ever heard." The current reigning champion is the time I asked

hostess in a restaurant what time is is, and she answered...."Now?" Yours is a close second.

So you do not see the value in reading important news in a language you read. Or hearing news in a language you speak. Here, you have been so kind, let me share with you next year's Irish Lottery Winning Number. qps9duf 9owqehf `90hy0 p0qs 0j 0qe e0if pkjefkhjlc Oh, sorry! Having a bit of trouble with that?

Thank you for a really good laugh on a pretty hard day!

I think most of us got that bit about you and others think the goverment is incompetent - but do we have to have pages and pages of slightly different ways of saying the same thing. Of course, The Nation and Sondhi's mouthpiece are pumping out "articles" at a similar rate so that it almost self perpetuating.

Somebody let me know when the braying has stopped.

Still they are right....

I actually I would love it if they were wrong...but they are right