Disaster Warning Issued For Bangkok

webfact

So, nobody can predict what will be in Lower Sukhumvit, Soi 11?

I had planned to meet GF in Bangkok Airport and stay there on Monday. I have to change my plans?rolleyes.gif

I will go and sacrifice a Chicken and try to predict the future by looking at its intestines for you.

Joking aside, today its dry, the floodings are in the north of Bangkok, how it looks on monday, we will see on monday.

Thank you for your post, I just thought, there are parts of BKK which will, (can be forseen) not be flooded. As it seems that is not so with the Lower Sukhumvit.whistling.gif.

For shortages, even in a small LOTUS Market in Nong Han-Udon Thani Province there was nearly no bottled water available.ohmy.gif

All delivered to and around BKK.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what about the Cholera and Typhoid risks now with so much water around?

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

Why is the (rather justified question) about a possible epidemic, a reason to rant about farangs?

Because only a feckless farang would ask such a stupid question when neither disease is likely to be an issue.

Unless, of course, on eis actually stupid enough to drink the flood water.

I had planned to meet GF in Bangkok Airport and stay there on Monday. I have to change my plans?rolleyes.gif

I will go and sacrifice a Chicken and try to predict the future by looking at its intestines for you.

Joking aside, today its dry, the floodings are in the north of Bangkok, how it looks on monday, we will see on monday.

Any idea how long it will take the water (from Rangsit, Ayuthaya) to make it's way down to inner Bangkok? I read somewhere that the water will only be released into certain canals which means that some other parts of Bkk will still stay dry.

I live in the northern part of Hwaykwang, not far from Ratchada, just north of Suttisan. About an hour ago the neighbors told us that the BMA has said that our neighborhood will be about 1 meter deep in water tomorrow. I didn't see or hear this announcement myself, but everyone is going crazy with tarps and sandbags!:blink:

I live in south Huay kwang and it still pretty calm. 1 meter... ouch! let's see tomorrow...

Right now it's dry as a bone here! I've been watching the Klong water levels online (and occasionally in person). The two closest klongs are not rising, but Klong Lad Prao has gone up about 20cm in the past 10 hours.

I live in the northern part of Hwaykwang, not far from Ratchada, just north of Suttisan. About an hour ago the neighbors told us that the BMA has said that our neighborhood will be about 1 meter deep in water tomorrow. I didn't see or hear this announcement myself, but everyone is going crazy with tarps and sandbags!:blink:

I live in south Huay kwang and it still pretty calm. 1 meter... ouch! let's see tomorrow...

Right now it's dry as a bone here! I've been watching the Klong water levels online (and occasionally in person). The two closest klongs are not rising, but Klong Lad Prao has gone up about 20cm in the past 10 hours.

Do you have a link for this klong sight seeing please?

I live next to a canal (ratchada soi 10). will ask my GF when she arrive in about an hour about the situation.

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

Why is the (rather justified question) about a possible epidemic, a reason to rant about farangs?

Because only a feckless farang would ask such a stupid question when neither disease is likely to be an issue.

From the World Health Organization's website:

Floods can potentially increase the transmission of the following communicable diseases:

• Water-borne diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, leptospirosis and hepatitis A
  • Vector-borne diseases, such as malaria, dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, and West Nile Fever

http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/ems/flood_cds/en/

Well, just decided with the wife to get f*** outta Dodge. Taking the dogs and heading to Jomtien or something.

The locals around here are saying the water is coming here, Ram Inthra km.8, tomorrow.

Sick and tired of the uncertainty. :annoyed:

Best wishes and stay safe with the missus, Dr.

Oh Holier Than Thou, pray tell us what YOU have done.

As if I'm going to bite on that <_<

I lived through the ElNino flooding around 15 years ago in Nonthaburi province in the that time famous vegetable and fruit gardens of Bangkok. The area was flooded for nearly six month. I watched the Klong like a hawk, had one night a crocodile in the garden (it left by itself but I stopped wading through nearly 2 meter deep water then), and it was a pretty worrying view at many times. Every 14 days the high tide pushed the water up to 2 meters in the Klong-bed, which got filled very fast before it spilled over. The area was designed to be a runoff water storage from the waters coming from the North Water pollution wasn't as much a problem as it is today. Needless to say that most trees and all other plants didn't last more than a month.

This year the things seem to be worse in many areas. You can expect that some areas will be flooded till early next year. ElNino will last until next year (I think the middle of the year) and that doesn't promise anything good. There can be an unexpected or unusual weather pattern performing it's rage at any time. Since 15 years many areas sunk even deeper (3 - 20cm a year). The Antartica has it's lowest Ice level too. The Ozone hole is larger now then the one we now from before.

Even though the flood will eventually pass by the inner city, the damges altogether will be long lasting. I discuss about this with many children every week, 6 plus, for over a decade and they have a better understanding than most of adults.

Let's hope and pray that people in Bangkok will not have to slurp the sea of toxic cocktails that a major flooding in the city would create. This should be the major concern.

I think that those who are not affected by the flood, anybody, foreign and locals, should prepare some programs and events to ease the pain of those who are hardly affected. The government, at one point, will stop reaching out and people will be on their own. Like in Japan, where Kan said one month before he left office that it is the peoples' fault, they could have opposed the plants.

There are ideas and tools to get things going. I will meet some people(locals, retired Uni program director for example) in 2 weeks who probably will volunteer, oversee and manage the flow of activities and donations created.

Be prepared that this will be a long lasting effort. Just to clear up the damage will take up a long time before any useful and lasting seedings of projects in the effected areas can stand on their own legs again. After that, or better simultaniously the govt needs to work out prevention measures and implement them in full steam, inclusive a useful infrastructure.

Edited by elcent

1319203532[/url]' post='4782878']
1319198901[/url]' post='4782730']

I was all prepared to stay, got food and water upstairs etc. We were going to park the car somewhere safe and sit it out. But then when the water started coming things changed. This was not some minor flood after rain of clean water, the water was thick, black and the smell was unbelievably bad. It was probably more likely to be water from the drainage coming up first, might clean up after some more flushes through. We packed up the car, grabbed our 4 cats and young nephew and left with the water on our Soi level with the wheel centres on a Fortuner. We are now way up in the NE at the MIL's house, going to sit it out and tap our rubber trees until the water goes down enough to start cleaning things up and get the business open again.

Sorry for not trying to include quotes etc., I'm on the iPad with a slow connection and the editor doesn't work so well.

Off topic post.

I was planning to leave this morning but decided to leave last night around midnight to try and avoid the expected exodus. As per the advise of another poster, I went down to Chonburi, took a left to Phanat Nikom and toward Kabin Buri and then onto Yaso. Dry but a three hour jam to get over Khao Yai.

Where are you and which way did you take?

Also, on the iPad, I find that I can't even post any replies?

We took a similar route, motorway towards Chonburi then up through Chachongsao (sorry for spelling), Kabin Buri leaving at 7, at least a 3 hour jam through Khao Yai if not more. We are up in Bueng Gan, took 18 hours in total with a couple of hours sleep on the way, normal time is 9-10.

^ The Evil Dr is a smart doctor.

Just booked a couple of nights in Pattaya.

The Evil but 'smart' doctor took off at about 4PM with wife and dogs. Hit the At Narong -Ram inthra expressway out past Bang Na. Traffic was OK. Chonburi bypass and Route 7 was very busy.

Sitting in a small room in North Pattaya. Not my favorite town, but had to go somewhere where they allow dogs. Most hotels/resorts are not interested in having a Rottweiler and a miniature.

We'll just have to see what happens. Will call the neighbours tomorrow to get an update.

Seems like several others have decided to evacuate as well.

May you all come through this without too much suffering. :jap:

Floods can potentially increase the transmission of the following communicable diseases:

• Water-borne diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, leptospirosis and hepatitis A
  • Vector-borne diseases, such as malaria, dengue and dengue haemorrhagic fever, yellow fever, and West Nile Fever

http://www.who.int/hac/techguidance/ems/flood_cds/en/

From the same website:

"The major risk factor for outbreaks associated with flooding is the contamination of drinking-water facilities, and even when this happens, as in Iowa and Missouri in 1993, the risk of outbreaks can be minimized if the risk is well recognized and disaster-response addresses the provision of clean water as a priority"

Dry sofar - and I doubt we would be getting more than some 40cm at street level.

But even that would make problems with transportation and affect the local food market.

Any idea how long it will take the water (from Rangsit, Ayuthaya) to make it's way down to inner Bangkok? I read somewhere that the water will only be released into certain canals which means that some other parts of Bkk will still stay dry.

As I mentioned on another thread, according to the authorities, all of Bangkok will be hit to a greater or lesser degree and so far they seem to be saying Sunday evening at the latest. This is based on internal discussions, not what they are saying in the media. I am out near Udomsuk and have seen no signs yet. The feeder canals are very low, but Klong Prakanong is very full and flowing fast but not overflowing. It has been calculated that parts of Prakanong will be under 1.04 metres of water (their figures not mine). Sukhumvit 39 to 49 is at high risk as it appears to be in a dip. That would seem to be confirmed by the fact that whenever there is very heavy flooding that area seems to get a lot more than many other parts of Sukhumvit.

Well, just decided with the wife to get f*** outta Dodge. Taking the dogs and heading to Jomtien or something.

The locals around here are saying the water is coming here, Ram Inthra km.8, tomorrow.

Sick and tired of the uncertainty. :annoyed:

Have employees that live just south of Km. 8 and they have a foot of water in their house etc - and seeing how the area is always in a lot of water during each monsoon period you are probably making a sane choice.

As I mentioned on another thread, according to the authorities, all of Bangkok will be hit to a greater or lesser degree and so far they seem to be saying Sunday evening at the latest. This is based on internal discussions, not what they are saying in the media. I am out near Udomsuk and have seen no signs yet. The feeder canals are very low, but Klong Prakanong is very full and flowing fast but not overflowing. It has been calculated that parts of Prakanong will be under 1.04 metres of water (their figures not mine). Sukhumvit 39 to 49 is at high risk as it appears to be in a dip. That would seem to be confirmed by the fact that whenever there is very heavy flooding that area seems to get a lot more than many other parts of Sukhumvit.

When its hit is not so interesting its more interesting when the water goes away. I read somewhere 40 days. That made me think of really moving out. I could survive an other 10 days of flood here. This is day 2 now. But more then 15 would be crazy

Dry sofar - and I doubt we would be getting more than some 40cm at street level.

But even that would make problems with transportation and affect the local food market.

You're walking dist from me. I just heard from my neighbor there's nothing to worry about. It's dry at the moment, I walked back from the mrt about 45 mins ago and everything is business as usual. Even the 7/11 was stocked as if normal.

http://www.who.int/h...s/flood_cds/en/

From the same website:

"The major risk factor for outbreaks associated with flooding is the contamination of drinking-water facilities, and even when this happens, as in Iowa and Missouri in 1993, the risk of outbreaks can be minimized if the risk is well recognized and disaster-response addresses the provision of clean water as a priority"

Quite right. And when you've been under more than a meter of water for almost two months, where do you think the drinking water will come from? Not from the village water systems, they're shut down or contaminated. Not from Volvic bottles, that's for sure. Shops have been flooded out, deliveries are stopped due to flooded roads, sanitation facilities are non-existent when you're in a multi-km-wide flood zone.

My BIL is the chief public health official in one of the provinces that have been flooded. Whilst his house is safe, he hasn't been home in more than two weeks, catching a couple hours of sleep where he can...out trying to protect not the hi-so, but the average Thai villager from the ravages of water-borne diseases.

This is not the USA, it is Thailand. Many structures you might take for granted in the West either do not exist here, exist in a small degree, or are ruined through corruption. Drinking water and sanitation are the main concerns, along with inoculating the people who are most at risk.

What you said originally, which you left out of your reply, was: "What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone. "

I found this post to be quite unsympathetic to the plight of so many villagers and townspeople who are, and will continue to be, inundated. I assumed it was sheer ignorance on your part to post such a message...I hope I was right, and not that you are as merciless as this post comes across.

Sir, not looking to incur your rather considerable wrath, but I would like to inform you of the chance to get typhoid from drinking contaminated water. The possibility exists of the city's drinking water supply becoming contaminated and people inadvertantly contracting typhoid from drinking tap water. I understand you may be under stress from the flood but the question was not stupid. The fact that you went on a rant for something so trivial suggests you should take a deep breath and consider some anger management classes.Signed, a 'feckless farang'

Edited by rametindallas

When its hit is not so interesting its more interesting when the water goes away. I read somewhere 40 days. That made me think of really moving out. I could survive an other 10 days of flood here. This is day 2 now. But more then 15 would be crazy

40 days or more was in reference to Ladkrabang and Minburi, which always seem to be the last to be drained.

You're walking dist from me. I just heard from my neighbor there's nothing to worry about. It's dry at the moment, I walked back from the mrt about 45 mins ago and everything is business as usual. Even the 7/11 was stocked as if normal.

There is a pinned flood reports thread that has been underutilized by our members, you might want to consider posting there:

40 days or more was in reference to Ladkrabang and Minburi, which always seem to be the last to be drained.

This one will be a long one. Nonthaburi wont be dry for a minimum 3 weeks

From the same website:

LOL, give it up. You made a quick stupid comment when someone asked about the possibility of disease outbreaks. Most of us have done it, accept it and walk away.

I found this post to be quite unsympathetic to the plight of so many villagers and townspeople who are, and will continue to be, inundated. I assumed it was sheer ignorance on your part to post such a message...I hope I was right, and not that you are as merciless as this post comes across.

Save your breath, the guy is clearly a numb-nut spreading misinformation. Probably thinks he's a hero putting down his own kind in front of the locals, though unbeknownst to the dolt, they take almost as dim a view of that carry-on as they do farang slagging off Muang Thai.

1319203532[/url]' post='4782878']
1319198901[/url]' post='4782730']

I was all prepared to stay, got food and water upstairs etc. We were going to park the car somewhere safe and sit it out. But then when the water started coming things changed. This was not some minor flood after rain of clean water, the water was thick, black and the smell was unbelievably bad. It was probably more likely to be water from the drainage coming up first, might clean up after some more flushes through. We packed up the car, grabbed our 4 cats and young nephew and left with the water on our Soi level with the wheel centres on a Fortuner. We are now way up in the NE at the MIL's house, going to sit it out and tap our rubber trees until the water goes down enough to start cleaning things up and get the business open again.

Sorry for not trying to include quotes etc., I'm on the iPad with a slow connection and the editor doesn't work so well.

Off topic post.

I was planning to leave this morning but decided to leave last night around midnight to try and avoid the expected exodus. As per the advise of another poster, I went down to Chonburi, took a left to Phanat Nikom and toward Kabin Buri and then onto Yaso. Dry but a three hour jam to get over Khao Yai.

Where are you and which way did you take?

Also, on the iPad, I find that I can't even post any replies?

We took a similar route, motorway towards Chonburi then up through Chachongsao (sorry for spelling), Kabin Buri leaving at 7, at least a 3 hour jam through Khao Yai if not more. We are up in Bueng Gan, took 18 hours in total with a couple of hours sleep on the way, normal time is 9-10.

Refuel in Kabinburi at moderator soundman place. ;)

Save your breath, the guy is clearly a numb-nut spreading misinformation. Probably thinks he's a hero putting down his own kind in front of the locals, though unbeknownst to the dolt, they take almost as dim a view of that carry-on as they do farang slagging off Muang Thai.

Good advice. Time for the ignore button.

Cheers thumbsup.gif