Disaster Warning Issued For Bangkok

webfact

Well, just decided with the wife to get f*** outta Dodge. Taking the dogs and heading to Jomtien or something.

The locals around here are saying the water is coming here, Ram Inthra km.8, tomorrow.

Sick and tired of the uncertainty. :annoyed:

OK, good luck and hopeful the homefront will be intact on your return.

Keep safe.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this post to be quite unsympathetic to the plight of so many villagers and townspeople who are, and will continue to be, inundated. I assumed it was sheer ignorance on your part to post such a message...I hope I was right, and not that you are as merciless as this post comes across.

Save your breath, the guy is clearly a numb-nut spreading misinformation. Probably thinks he's a hero putting down his own kind in front of the locals, though unbeknownst to the dolt, they take almost as dim a view of that carry-on as they do farang slagging off Muang Thai.

Good advice. Time for the ignore button.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

where is the ignore button so I can use it too?

what about the Cholera and Typhoid risks now with so much water around?

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

Why is the (rather justified question) about a possible epidemic, a reason to rant about farangs?

Because only a feckless farang would ask such a stupid question when neither disease is likely to be an issue.

Unless, of course, on eis actually stupid enough to drink the flood water.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel, seeing as how you have such a rational, objective point of view on everything cheesy.gif

Word on the street is that the powers that be diverted the waters away from Thaksin's lands, and onto everyone else's. Ah, but of course. Not that it matters, the red slaves will not hear of it.

Can you just give it a rest? Do you never, ever stop? I can't imagine what life must be like thinking that some evil master mind is behind every thing that happens here, so I have some amount of pity for you, but there is a limit!

Word on the street is that the powers that be diverted the waters away from Thaksin's lands, and onto everyone else's. Ah, but of course. Not that it matters, the red slaves will not hear of it.

Can you just give it a rest? Do you never, ever stop? I can't imagine what life must be like thinking that some evil master mind is behind every thing that happens here, so I have some amount of pity for you, but there is a limit!

I think it works both ways. After all, the other side says the floods were caused on purpose as a conspiracy to bring down the present government. Mmmkay...

Well, just decided with the wife to get f*** outta Dodge. Taking the dogs and heading to Jomtien or something.

The locals around here are saying the water is coming here, Ram Inthra km.8, tomorrow.

Sick and tired of the uncertainty. :annoyed:

Have employees that live just south of Km. 8 and they have a foot of water in their house etc - and seeing how the area is always in a lot of water during each monsoon period you are probably making a sane choice.

Are they on the north end of Nawamin? Our office and house is just of RamInt km.8

A few days ago, parts of north Nawamin Rd had water, but was gone today.

Quite right. And when you've been under more than a meter of water for almost two months, where do you think the drinking water will come from? Not from the village water systems, they're shut down or contaminated. Not from Volvic bottles, that's for sure. Shops have been flooded out, deliveries are stopped due to flooded roads, sanitation facilities are non-existent when you're in a multi-km-wide flood zone.

My BIL is the chief public health official in one of the provinces that have been flooded. Whilst his house is safe, he hasn't been home in more than two weeks, catching a couple hours of sleep where he can...out trying to protect not the hi-so, but the average Thai villager from the ravages of water-borne diseases.

This is not the USA, it is Thailand. Many structures you might take for granted in the West either do not exist here, exist in a small degree, or are ruined through corruption. Drinking water and sanitation are the main concerns, along with inoculating the people who are most at risk.

What you said originally, which you left out of your reply, was: "What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone. "

I found this post to be quite unsympathetic to the plight of so many villagers and townspeople who are, and will continue to be, inundated. I assumed it was sheer ignorance on your part to post such a message...I hope I was right, and not that you are as merciless as this post comes across.

:rolleyes:

The post I initially responded to asked about the threat from cholera and typhoid. It was a daft question because most farang in Bangkok don't live in shacks without an electricity supply for boiling tap water. Consequently, they're unlikely to be forced to source drinking water from contamined flood waters . . . even in a worst-case scenario with the entire city under a metre of water.

I fail to see how the post in question post indicates that I'm unsympathetic to the plight of those worst affected upcountry. Perhaps you could elaborate ?

I lived through the ElNino flooding around 15 years ago in Nonthaburi province in the that time famous vegetable and fruit gardens of Bangkok. The area was flooded for nearly six month. I watched the Klong like a hawk, had one night a crocodile in the garden (it left by itself but I stopped wading through nearly 2 meter deep water then), and it was a pretty worrying view at many times. Every 14 days the high tide pushed the water up to 2 meters in the Klong-bed, which got filled very fast before it spilled over. The area was designed to be a runoff water storage from the waters coming from the North Water pollution wasn't as much a problem as it is today. Needless to say that most trees and all other plants didn't last more than a month.

This year the things seem to be worse in many areas. You can expect that some areas will be flooded till early next year. ElNino will last until next year (I think the middle of the year) and that doesn't promise anything good. There can be an unexpected or unusual weather pattern performing it's rage at any time. Since 15 years many areas sunk even deeper (3 - 20cm a year). The Antartica has it's lowest Ice level too. The Ozone hole is larger now then the one we now from before.

Even though the flood will eventually pass by the inner city, the damges altogether will be long lasting. I discuss about this with many children every week, 6 plus, for over a decade and they have a better understanding than most of adults.

Let's hope and pray that people in Bangkok will not have to slurp the sea of toxic cocktails that a major flooding in the city would create. This should be the major concern.

I think that those who are not affected by the flood, anybody, foreign and locals, should prepare some programs and events to ease the pain of those who are hardly affected. The government, at one point, will stop reaching out and people will be on their own. Like in Japan, where Kan said one month before he left office that it is the peoples' fault, they could have opposed the plants.

There are ideas and tools to get things going. I will meet some people(locals, retired Uni program director for example) in 2 weeks who probably will volunteer, oversee and manage the flow of activities and donations created.

Be prepared that this will be a long lasting effort. Just to clear up the damage will take up a long time before any useful and lasting seedings of projects in the effected areas can stand on their own legs again. After that, or better simultaniously the govt needs to work out prevention measures and implement them in full steam, inclusive a useful infrastructure.

Excellent post.

Save your breath, the guy is clearly a numb-nut spreading misinformation. Probably thinks he's a hero putting down his own kind in front of the locals, though unbeknownst to the dolt, they take almost as dim a view of that carry-on as they do farang slagging off Muang Thai.

Good advice. Time for the ignore button.

Cheers thumbsup.gif

Best to hit the ignore button in the face of a perfectly clear explanation, right ?

Hey, go right ahead . . .

As for spreading misinformation, how is anything that I wrote fabrication? Maybe go look the word up before using it, you tool !

Soi Cowboy just flooded, it was two meters under water. Alltough SweRob took care of buisness MOSES style, i just stepped out of the bar and made a Rift in the water way, everybody cheered and bought drinks for me.

And then i woke up.

Soi Cowboy just flooded, it was two meters under water. Alltough SweRob took care of buisness MOSES style, i just stepped out of the bar and made a Rift in the water way, everybody cheered and bought drinks for me.

And then i woke up.

Go back to sleep and try to pick up the thread of your dream :)

BTW as there was no bottled water and lots of other items also out of stock I just had to buy a few beer instead ;)

Edited by rubl

And then i woke up.

BTW as there was no bottled water and lots of other items also out of stock I just had to buy a few beer instead ;)

You too?? :jap:

Quite right. And when you've been under more than a meter of water for almost two months, where do you think the drinking water will come from? Not from the village water systems, they're shut down or contaminated. Not from Volvic bottles, that's for sure. Shops have been flooded out, deliveries are stopped due to flooded roads, sanitation facilities are non-existent when you're in a multi-km-wide flood zone.

My BIL is the chief public health official in one of the provinces that have been flooded. Whilst his house is safe, he hasn't been home in more than two weeks, catching a couple hours of sleep where he can...out trying to protect not the hi-so, but the average Thai villager from the ravages of water-borne diseases.

This is not the USA, it is Thailand. Many structures you might take for granted in the West either do not exist here, exist in a small degree, or are ruined through corruption. Drinking water and sanitation are the main concerns, along with inoculating the people who are most at risk.

What you said originally, which you left out of your reply, was: "What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone. "

:rolleyes:

The post I initially responded to asked about the threat from cholera and typhoid. It was a daft question because most farang in Bangkok don't live in shacks without an electricity supply for boiling tap water. Consequently, they're unlikely to be forced to source drinking water from contamined flood waters . . . even in a worst-case scenario with the entire city under a metre of water.

I fail to see how the post in question post indicates that I'm unsympathetic to the plight of those worst affected upcountry. Perhaps you could elaborate ?

My perception is that you completely mis-read a simple post that said "what about Cholera and typhoid?" He isn't saying anything about HIS circumstances or any farang in particuar he's talking about the potential for disease on the whole farang and Thai alike.

And then i woke up.

You too?? :jap:

The 7/11 hundred meters further down the road was nearly empty: no milk, no water, no noodles, no cans of fish, no oil, crisps almost finished. Only a lot of beer, although the cheaper type also gone. Leo or Chang is fine though. Being Dutch I try to avoid Heineken and unfortunately 7/11 never stocked Grolsch :(

But don't you think it is quite an achievement to maintain such a level of hatred so consistently?

If the last trump were to be sounded, Someone would post explaining that The Archangel Gabriel was in the pay of Thaksin, another would produce a list of obscure links proving that it was never sounded, and and a third would accuse him of being a newbie and tell him to shut up!

But don't you think it is quite an achievement to maintain such a level of hatred so consistently?

If the last trump were to be sounded, Someone would post explaining that The Archangel Gabriel was in the pay of Thaksin, another would produce a list of obscure links proving that it was never sounded, and and a third would accuse him of being a newbie and tell him to shut up!

And our dear PM would issue a statement saying "it's too early to say", "my ministers will clarify" and "please give us a chance" :whistling:

Which also brings us back to the OP "Disaster warning issued for Bangkok". Now probably, but please don't panic ;)

(Read The Last Trump by Isaac Asimov © about the Angel Etheriel questioning if the Day of Resurrection was announced on the correct day)

Edited by rubl

Since you can't trust anything the "authorities" tell you I figure the San Saeb Canal is a pretty good barometer of what's coming.

Here's how it looked at from the Ramkamhaeng Soi 43 bridge on October 14th:

post-56035-0-56442600-1319196709_thumb.j

And here's how it looked this afternoon:

post-56035-0-23516700-1319196732_thumb.j

Is it just me or does it seem like the water level has actually fallen? :huh:

Color me confused...

ps. there were people FISHING in San Saeb and actually catching real live fish!!!!! :blink:

Did you notice the (surface) speed of the water? I also checked Saen Saeb, this afternoon, at my spot about 1-2 kms North of yours (a bit south of the Bang Kapi mall). No noteworthy change in water level, but the water floated much faster than usual (not sure how fast, but at least 3-4 times normal walk speed). There also were much more garbage - including dead rats - than usual, so - apparently it is possible to drain off from Minbury and other long-time flooded areas without even raising the waterlevel of the Klong. Does add to the suspicion that there have been political reasons involved in not letting water through before.

That's just as well; better to have the klongs flushed out as much as possible before they overflow. The usual stagnant water is vile, I always joke that if you were to fall in a Bangkok klong you would rot well before drowning (with the moral of carrying a gun to shoot yourself on the way down to spare the misery)

what about the Cholera and Typhoid risks now with so much water around?

What about it??!! Should the government assemble an army of nurses and doctors to go around to the wealthy enclaves with vaccines, 20 litres of Volvic and a selection of DVDs? No wonder so many farang guys get hosed by hoes in this country . . . no f***ing back-bone.

The only people with cause for panic are those wretched souls in outlying provinces who have lost absolutely EVERYTHING. We must give whatever we can in terms of appliances, food and clothing to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

We all chose to live here and should make our peace with that rather than criticizing a fledgling government or carping on about what should have been done a fortnight or a month ago because, ultimately, our lives are not in danger.

Why is the (rather justified question) about a possible epidemic, a reason to rant about farangs?

Because only a feckless farang would ask such a stupid question when neither disease is likely to be an issue.

Unless, of course, on eis actually stupid enough to drink the flood water.

Or one is stupid enough to find themselves neck deep in the flood water and unable to avoid ingesting it? I guess that makes a lot of victims stupid, doesn't it?

after following the flood stories on the news the last few weeks I have concluded the following

1. The flooding of BK was always going to happen

2. Trying to pevent it was foolish and has prolonged the issue to the point where

it will now be a huge torrent as opposed to a gradual release

3. Because of the above points - people in the North have been subjected to unnecessary prolonged suffering - the water should have been gradually let go long ago rather than allow this huge build up to save a few streets in BK

4. Concluding that the authorities have no clue what they are doing and it's time for a confidence vote against the current PM/government before this gets any worse.

This whole flood issue has existed far too long and it's now time to pull the plug and let these waters drain to the sea, the damage can not be allowed to continue any longer

Plus my flight arrives in BKK in 2x weeks and it better all be sorted by then :ph34r:

Please don't forget that much of the blocking up country was to try and 'SAVE' the rice crop ready for harvest and bound at extraordinarily inflated prices to the 'Rice Pledging Scheme', that they had been rushing to implement. There were HUGE gargantuan profits to be made this fall with rice, but then came 3 typhoons... how to save the rise. BLock up the dams.

But wait the dams can't hold it... what now... panic, panic.

They weren't necessarily saving Bangkok, but flooding the peasants to save the crop, before realizing it's too late to save the crop without releasing a lot of water, and flooding Bangkok too and trying to make it seem inevitable. Vested interests at their worst trying to make their game go their way and sod all to the little guy.

As they say: Follow The Money.

What was the quickest possible return on investment, for those who control grassroots Issan for PTP and the Shinawatra Clan?

Ani, you're going to hurt some feelings with that lot! Bankruptupcountry will have a fit, declare you unintelligent and uneducated at least.

If it does get desperate, I read somewhere that water in a clear PLASTIC bottle left in the sun will be bacteria free after a few hours as the solar UV will purify it. Glass stops nearly all UV so not suitable.

Best to google it, my recollection a bit vague.

State of Emergency=Disaster Warning

Same Same but different?huh.gif

Apparently, in some peoples' estimation, foreign investors are able to draw a distinction.

'Disaster warning' is much less alarming.

PS: Don't panic.

You beat me to it. May I just add post-58-0-59459500-1319178601_thumb.jpeg which seems very appropriate for the situation :)

And another appropriate reference " The water always wins."

Ermmm this is super vague ...

Which area is to be flooded ?

For how long ?

How high ?

The Baiyoke tower should be OK.

Just keep moving upwards as necessary.

The disaster hotline number being "1 -ha,ha,ha " should be suitably reassuring to most, I have visions of the telephone being passed around the office with people repeating "Farang" whilst trying to find someone who speaks English.

Edited by Thormaturge

Ermmm this is super vague ...

Which area is to be flooded ?

For how long ?

How high ?

The Baiyoke tower should be OK.

Just keep moving upwards as necessary.

The disaster hotline number being "1 -ha,ha,ha " should be suitably reassuring to most, I have visions of the telephone being passed around the office with people repeating "Farang" whilst trying to find someone who speaks English.

See flooding based on Bangkok topography here: http://flood.firetree.net/ from another thread that someone (sorry OP - forgot who posted it...) Good map! NB: you have to scroll over to Thailand....

Floodwalls will not be able to save Bangkok from huge water mass from North, Army Chief Prayuth says

/via@Biz_TheNation

Only the Army is willing to tell the people the truth about this flood.

Yes, and did you notice how the army has been put in charge of areas the least able to be defended? Don Mueng has been considered a lost cause for days. Siriraj is right on the bank of the Chao Praya. etc.

I'm reminded of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court." In that story a bigwig wanted to discredit Merlin the Magician, and so he put Merlin in charge of predicting the weather. The idea was that back in the days of King Arthur no one could possibly do that job, but it would be Merlin that seemed laughably impotent since it became his responsibility to carry out that impossible task. Could this be part of the real reason why the army was given those specific areas, and the easier ones are to be handled by politicians? You decide.

More likely is that the army was dispatched to these areas because they are to be hardest hit by the flooding, as that is where the need is greatest for evacuation, rescue and recovery efforts. Time to readjust the tin foil hat.