Prayuth Tells Estate Residents To Get Ready For Evacuation

Lite Beer

Prayuth tells estate residents to get ready for evacuation

Panya Thiewsangwan,

Nantida Puangthong

The Nation on Sunday

30168340-01.jpg

More industrial estates at risk; planes fly serious patients to hospitals in east; migrant workers refused shelter

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha yesterday warned residents in the Ladkrabang and Bangchan industrial estates to prepare for evacuation.

His warning came as a C-130 military plane was used yesterday to evacuate 12 patients from two hospitals in flood-risk areas in Bangkok to hospitals in the East.

All the patients were admitted to Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital in Khan Na Yao district and Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital in Sai Mai district. The aircraft transported them from Wing 6 in Don Mueang to U-tapao International Airport. The patients from Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital were admitted to Prapokklao Chantaburi Hospital in Chanthaburi while others from Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital were moved to Queen Sirikit Hospital in Chon Buri, said Air Vice Marshal Theeraphap Senawong, director of Institute of Aviation Medicine.

"This is the first time that patients with serious condition have been evacuated such a long distance. We'll consider day by day if more patients should be evacuated by plane," he said.

Meanwhile, the emergency medical service centre at Don Muang has so far transported 690 patients, 49 of them by helicopter, 61 by plane, 231 by car and 349 by boat since October 19.

Prayuth said if water levels in Rangsit Canal are stable for two days, the industrial estates will probably not be inundated. He would deploy soldiers on a mission to protect the industrial estates from floods.

However, he could not guarantee that floods would not hit them. He warned the people there to prepare for evacuation, saying they should contact their community leaders to get information about where to move or where they could get relief bags and necessities if they don't want to evacuate.

The Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road is preparing to take in more evacuees. He said 883 evacuees had registered to stay there although it had provided space for only 800 people, Deputy Finance Minister Viroon Tejapaibul said.

The Lawyers Council of Thailand's subcommittee on stateless people and alien workers' human rights claimed that the Government Complex had refused to provide assistance to alien workers.

Surapong Kongchantuk, chairman of the sub-committee, said some shelters refused to provide spaces to migrant workers, as they were worried whether they would be violating the law, including those at Government Complex.

The statement said offering help and shelter to alien workers was not considered a violation of Immigration Act BE 2522. It called on the shelters to help them even if they had lost their personal legal documents in the floods.

The panel called on the government and its Flood Relief Operations Centre to take care of those flood-affected workers.

Evacuees who want to search for nearby shelters in Bangkok can call 1555 or 0-2248-5115 round the clock or visit http://dds.bangkok.go.th.

Thammasat University yesterday did not move 3,800 evacuees at its shelter in Rangsit campus yesterday even though some parts of the campus were under 30-50 centimetres flood waters as the shelter was not flooded, Prinya Thewanaruemitkul, its deputy president said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-23

I wasn't aware of any current military brass winning political positions in any recent electoral processes. Under what authority is Prayuth getting involved?

Under the authority of common sense that dictates to help when help is needed.

Edited by shunima

I wasn't aware of any current military brass winning political positions in any recent electoral processes. Under what authority is Prayuth getting involved?

Perhaps he's trying to save people's lives and property? Or is that not allowed without winning an election first?

According to Yingluck, that would be included in the full cooperation that the army are giving.

She said the government also received full cooperation from the armed forces to handle the flooding.

Would you rather they not get involved?

He could have been elected but declined. Apparently PTP had suggested a policy of a free gun for every red shirt.................................

Totally agree. The army should keep out of this and let PTP and Yingluck cover them selves in excrement, glory; they deserve it.

Seems like some posts are just too difficult to ignore :lol:

Back on Earth, this sounds like some much needed precision; the area, the risk and the contingency plan have been well described.

Much better than yesterday's farce of being told prepare for 4-6 weeks flooding, move everything to higher ground, with absolutely zero specifics.

Humanitarian perhaps? The right thing to do? What a questionwhistling.gif

The army has been tasked by the PM with saving Latkrabang Industrial Estate and the others to the East of Bangkok. He is mainly talking about these. He has also commented on evacuations performed by the military and how to pick delivery of relief supplies delivered by them. The man is doing his job. What on earth is the problem?

What's wrong with humanitarian aid? Also good training for the troops.;)

The army are working under the government to assist and have been from day one up north. Now is a time to pull together and put aside differences and Yingluck and Prayuth seem to have done that and avoided criticism of each other. The sniping has generally come from some red shirts and some democrats and usual webboard armies but none of those doing the sniping are involved in the operations

The Thai health system works on the basis that if you can't pay for your treatment you won't be treated. Normally this works on the basis of paying in advance before they will treat you as they don't believe most people can pay. Thus the people evacuated had already paid for their treatment.

Its a pretty horrible system. It has happened to me many times, and its a real problem if you can't get money quick enough. Just yesterday my wife was in hospital and the same thing happened to a 7 year old girl. She was turned away because her family couldn't pay, so she would probably die. Just seems so heartless; you would think the ethics would be better and to let a young child die like that?

The army has been tasked by the PM with saving Latkrabang Industrial Estate and the others to the East of Bangkok. He is mainly talking about these. He has also commented on evacuations performed by the military and how to pick delivery of relief supplies delivered by them. The man is doing his job. What on earth is the problem?

Thanks for that explanation Arkady. I'm always a bit nervous when Prayuth opens his mouth.

Thanks for that explanation Arkady. I'm always a bit nervous when Prayuth opens his mouth.

You should be more nervous when any of the government, or FROC opens his/her mouth:

"Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee Sunday urged the government to tell all the truth to Bangkokians and predicted that all parts of Bangkok will be flooded more than a month."

The Thai health system works on the basis that if you can't pay for your treatment you won't be treated. Normally this works on the basis of paying in advance before they will treat you as they don't believe most people can pay. Thus the people evacuated had already paid for their treatment.

Its a pretty horrible system. It has happened to me many times, and its a real problem if you can't get money quick enough. Just yesterday my wife was in hospital and the same thing happened to a 7 year old girl. She was turned away because her family couldn't pay, so she would probably die. Just seems so heartless; you would think the ethics would be better and to let a young child die like that?

Thai citizens can get treatment at government hospitals. I guess you referred to a private hospital? Private hospitals are the same in every country, they require your payment first or to show that you can pay.

For every positive comment there seems to be 2 or more negative comments - I suggest to all the naysayers that they return to their home countries where politicians and government decisions are always correct!

No they're not. And people complain about them there too.

For every positive comment there seems to be 2 or more negative comments - I suggeist to all the naysayers that they return to their home countries where politicians and government decisions are always correct!

No they're not. And people complain about them there too.

Thank you for pointing that out. I was already packing but it would break my heart if I really would have to leave.

Thai citizens can get treatment at government hospitals. I guess you referred to a private hospital? Private hospitals are the same in every country, they require your payment first or to show that you can pay.

That was a government hospital my wife visited. Government hospitals that you refer also want payment in advance. Maybe you have experience of someone getting an expensive operation in Thailand and they get it for free? Reality is lots of Thais die because they can't afford the health care. The government needs to do something about this. Its a real problem.

Edited by MaiChai

That was a government hospital my wife visited. Government hospitals that you refer also want payment in advance. Maybe you have experience of someone getting an expensive operation in Thailand and they get it for free? Reality is lots of Thais die because they can't afford the health care. The government needs to do something about this. Its a real problem.

I agree with your observation.

They do have a system in place whereby a Thai citizen can get some basic, sub-standard, healthcare if they pre-register at a facility in the same Tambon where they are listed in a tabien baan. They could then go to that (and only that facility) for free. Many Thais who live and work in Bangkok come from other parts of the country so the government healthcare system is of little help to them there. They would have to pay at a Government Hospital.

Edited by elektrified

They do have a system in place whereby a Thai citizen can get some basic, sub-standard, healthcare if they pre-register at a facility in the same Tambon where they are listed in a tabien baan. They could then go to that (and only that facility) for free. Many Thais who live and work in Bangkok come from other parts of the country so the government healthcare system is of little help to them there. They would have to pay at a Government Hospital.

I think you would actually be surprised at what the Thai health system covers. There are actually 3 different setups. 1st.30b scheme all Thais have access to this (the one you mentioned) 2nd.social security scheme. which any working Thai paying social security has access To (more cover as your paying) 3rd the government employees scheme (best cover.multiple hospital) .

the first 2 you can change your hospital once a year at a certain time. also you are covered for emergency treatment in any government hospital.

The army are working under the government to assist and have been from day one up north. Now is a time to pull together and put aside differences and Yingluck and Prayuth seem to have done that and avoided criticism of each other. The sniping has generally come from some red shirts and some democrats and usual webboard armies but none of those doing the sniping are involved in the operations

You will find commitment to humanitarian assistance in many websites of modern armed forces, for example:

http://www.rtaeng.rta-eng.org/archives/888#more-888

I think you would actually be surprised at what the Thai health system covers. There are actually 3 different setups. 1st.30b scheme all Thais have access to this (the one you mentioned) 2nd.social security scheme. which any working Thai paying social security has access To (more cover as your paying) 3rd the government employees scheme (best cover.multiple hospital) .

the first 2 you can change your hospital once a year at a certain time. also you are covered for emergency treatment in any government hospital.

Correct, and may I add one more thing: Waht is "basic, sub-standard healthcare"? Once you can define it, I can probably list a number of "developed" countries where it is no better.

One good thing about getting old in Thailand: I don't about the healthcare. As opposed to some Western countries, where decent healthcare will cost you an amr and a leg (if you have any left).

Correct, and may I add one more thing: Waht is "basic, sub-standard healthcare"? Once you can define it, I can probably list a number of "developed" countries where it is no better.

One good thing about getting old in Thailand: I don't about the healthcare. As opposed to some Western countries, where decent healthcare will cost you an amr and a leg (if you have any left).

NOTE:

The Social Security system is open to ALL salaried stafff INCLUDING foreigners.

Check your pay slip deductions. If you do not have your blue card (and pink slip with designated hospitals) after 3 months employment there's a rabbit away somewhere!

I worked for a business where they deducted contributoins but did not provide the SS card to all staff... but that changed ^-^

Such assumptions that you will 'get your rights'? The reality is the hospitals need to balance the books and if they are not going to get the money from the government or an insurance scheme, they won't give the treatment. Even my wifes grandmother who is a pensioner has to fork out 500 or 1000 baht every time she visits the hospital and that is in her tambon up country, she is registered, etc.

You are right about the basic health care and diagnosis; the diagnosis is to work out the appropriate treatment and cost while the basic care would be nursing you until you meet you fate without the required operation, etc.

Edited by MaiChai