Flood Will Last For Weeks

Lite Beer

Flood will last for weeks

The Nation on Sunday

30168346-01.jpg

Bangkok faces inundation up to a metre high, be prepared: PM

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told Bangkok residents yesterday to prepare for imminent flooding as inundation spread to the capital, and warned that it could take up to six weeks for Thailand's catastrophic flood waters to recede.

Speaking during her weekly radio address, the prime minister said: "We have to wait for another four to six weeks for the flooding situation to ease." She explained later to reporters that she was referring to the entire country, and not just Bangkok.

Yingluck warned people in parts of Bangkok to expect floods as water from northern provinces was reaching the capital.

She said Bangkok residents should move their belongings to higher ground or to other safe locations over the weekend.

"During this long weekend, residents should move belongings, cars and other valuable things to places at least one metre high," she said in her weekly address to the nation.

Yingluck Shinawatra called the flooding a "national crisis" and called on citizens to unite and help each other. One third of the country's provinces are at least partly under water.

A high-stakes effort is under way to drain billions of cubic metres of water from upcountry out to the sea through rivers and canals in and around the city. Floods are already waist-high in the northern outskirts of the capital.

"Bangkok must open all floodgates to allow the water through," said Yingluck, who has invoked a disaster law to take full control of the emergency response.

More than 1,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in the northern Bangkok districts of Don Muang and Lak Si, where the water was up to 70 centimetres deep, making roads impassable for small cars.

"It's an extremely serious situation that affects people's lives and property," said Yingluck, whose two-month-old government is racing to avert a humanitarian disaster.

Three months of heavy monsoon rains had killed at least 356 people around the country and damaged the homes and livelihood of 9 million people, mostly in the North and Central provinces, officials said.

About 113,000 people have been forced to seek refuge in shelters, Yingluck said, adding that while the waters were receding in some areas of the country, the floods heading towards the capital were unstoppable.

"There is a huge volume of run-off water from the North and we can't effectively block it but can only slow the flow because our barriers are temporary," she warned.

The centre of Bangkok was still dry yesterday and sunny blue skies belied the sense of nervous dread in the city of 12 million people.

Supermarkets were busy with people stocking up on food and bottled water, while many motorists have moved their cars to the upper levels of multi-storey car parks or left them on bridges and elevated roads.

Tens of thousands of soldiers and police have been mobilised to maintain order, but the military warned people who refuse to leave their inundated homes not to rely on troops to bring them essential items.

Yingluck said the authorities would secure important locations such as the palaces, government buildings, major utilities and key transport routes.

"The government will oversee the distribution of all consumer goods and ensure that they are sufficient and available for everyone. Bangkok residents must be prepared to cope with the situation because there is a lot of water, but don't panic and don't stockpile goods," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-23

post-133770-0-20006300-1319334829_thumb. COMING SOON TO A SOI NEAR YOU (Just kidding - this photo is not from Thailand)

Klong Rangsit at K.4 was up another 6" over the 24 hours to 6.00 Sunday morning - that's 12" in the last 48 hours compared to the daily average of 1-1.5" the previous 7-10 days.

A day or two more at this rate and all of Lumlukka will be inundated, except perhaps for those places with high walls and big pumps.

I'm new to the area, but as far as I know 'higher ground' is a matter of inches not feet, so I wouldn't waste time with that unless it includes access to multi-storey buildings.

Edited by GazR

I feel about as helpless (to assist) as when Bkk was taken over by Red Shirts in Spring of 2010.

I have a few rooms to offer up here in Chiang Rai - though I ask for some work (around the farmstead) in exchange.

Four to six weeks, really? According to a mate up in Chiang Mai, the rivers he's on right now are all back to normal if not actually running a bit low.

I'd love to see where she got this info. I would almost respect her more if she said she didn't have any idea how much longer it would last.

Yesterday I went to help in the Nontaburi area. The conditions were so much worse than what I have been seeing on TV. There does seem to be plenty of food and bottled water but the water is putrid and mosquito infested. After the sun went down there were so many mosquitoes that it was hard to breathe without inhaling them! I spent most of the time in the 1.5m putrid water just to stop being bitten. I remember a little girl crying as her legs were covered in mosquito bites. 7 bodies were taken out yesterday apparently all died from electric shock since there is power still running through all these flooded Mu-Ban's. The water seemed to be moving at a very slow pace and in the one day (and night) I was there only seemed to rise a couple of cm.

Many people are staying in their 2 story houses living in the 2nd story. 1 story houses are of course unlivable. I'm not sure why so many people are staying although there was a very slow exodus throughout the day. I cannot even imagine what it must be like in Ayhutthya after a month of conditions like this. I came home late last night feeling depressed and guilty for taking a hot shower and putting the air-con on as I thought of all those people suffering. I will definitely be going back to help. I'm not religious but found myself praying this does not last for the weeks they are predicting :(

Yesterday I went to help in the Nontaburi area. The conditions were so much worse than what I have been seeing on TV. There does seem to be plenty of food and bottled water but the water is putrid and mosquito infested. After the sun went down there were so many mosquitoes that it was hard to breathe without inhaling them! I spent most of the time in the 1.5m putrid water just to stop being bitten. I remember a little girl crying as her legs were covered in mosquito bites. 7 bodies were taken out yesterday apparently all died from electric shock since there is power still running through all these flooded Mu-Ban's. The water seemed to be moving at a very slow pace and in the one day (and night) I was there only seemed to rise a couple of cm.

Many people are staying in their 2 story houses living in the 2nd story. 1 story houses are of course unlivable. I'm not sure why so many people are staying although there was a very slow exodus throughout the day. I cannot even imagine what it must be like in Ayhutthya after a month of conditions like this. I came home late last night feeling depressed and guilty for taking a hot shower and putting the air-con on as I thought of all those people suffering. I will definitely be going back to help. I'm not religious but found myself praying this does not last for the weeks they are predicting :(

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and an even bigger thank you for being a considerate, helpful person.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply.

Compassion is something rarely seen in our modernised society. Don't feel bad for we are only human and whatever good we can do is limited as long as we continue to do good.

What water ?? Where i am in BKK there is no water at all. Disappointed i am missing out on all the fun.

I'll just say that's an inappropriate comment. I'll let others call you names.

I agree! What a weird post where so many people are suffering.........jap.gif

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and an even bigger thank you for being a considerate, helpful person.

Thanks for your nice post, the truth is that many foreigners are making fun out of this unbelievable situation.....jap.gif

Im in nonthaburi, my house is flooded and im staying and all the people here say please keep the power on else we will have to leave.

Reasons to stay (for me)

-2 dogs (hard to transport not going to let them die)

- Wanting to keep an eye on your possesions as looting has happend elsewhere

- For those people not me (i got money) would a shelter be so much better ?

- As long as food and water + electricity are available its good to be at home.

Id probably be gone if it was not for the dogs though. But me and my wife are managing, the water is not rising that fast like he said a couple of centimeters a day. I think ill stay for at least a few more days till the water pump stops.. then its time to head out.

post-133770-0-20006300-1319334829_thumb. COMING SOON TO A SOI NEAR YOU (Just kidding - this photo is not from Thailand)

Klong Rangsit at K.4 was up another 6" over the 24 hours to 6.00 Sunday morning - that's 12" in the last 48 hours compared to the daily average of 1-1.5" the previous 7-10 days.

A day or two more at this rate and all of Lumlukka will be inundated, except perhaps for those places with high walls and big pumps.

I'm new to the area, but as far as I know 'higher ground' is a matter of inches not feet, so I wouldn't waste time with that unless it includes access to multi-storey buildings.

"Yingluck warned people in parts of Bangkok to expect floods as water from northern provinces was reaching the capital."

But she'll help as much as she can.....

post-108180-0-42529500-1319359169_thumb.

Im in nonthaburi, my house is flooded and im staying and all the people here say please keep the power on else we will have to leave.

Reasons to stay (for me)

-2 dogs (hard to transport not going to let them die)

- Wanting to keep an eye on your possesions as looting has happend elsewhere

- For those people not me (i got money) would a shelter be so much better ?

- As long as food and water + electricity are available its good to be at home.

Id probably be gone if it was not for the dogs though. But me and my wife are managing, the water is not rising that fast like he said a couple of centimeters a day. I think ill stay for at least a few more days till the water pump stops.. then its time to head out.

good luck ...

I think I know how you feel. I've been thru this before and am now relocated safely out of Bkk. where mother nature is in charge.

I agree .... home is best ... even when flooded. But when the stress bring you and your wife at each other's throats ... best to escape (hopefully with your dogs) .. and come back to pick up the pieces later.

Edited by rogerdee123

What water ?? Where i am in BKK there is no water at all. Disappointed i am missing out on all the fun.

What the hell is wrong with you!

Dude, I lost my house, my household is split apart (living in different places) and who knows when we'll be back together again! You're one pathetic "human." I would never wish upon anyone what I have personally had to go through these past few weeks, but with that comment, you have really tempted me. Disgusting! bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

My village is still dry out west in Thawee Wattana, but I'm told the house will be under 1 meter of water in the next couple of days. I sent the family away--up north to "safety" a week or so ago. Still, I'm set to stay here for awhile, even if things get wet. Frankly, while it's a bit odd to be alone, at least I don't need to worry about anybody else's life being in danger--except the housekeeper and her family who live in a lower lying part of the village. As I type this, the sky is blue and the sun is setting in the West. It actually feels pleasant and mild. One of those days you dreamed about experiencing when moving to Thailand. But there is also an eerie feeling about. Like the proverbial calm before the storm. I love this place too much to leave it.

Edited by zydeco

My village is still dry out west in Thawee Wattana, but I'm told the house will be under 1 meter of water in the next couple of days. I sent the family away--up north to "safety" a week or so ago. Still, I'm set to stay here for awhile, even if things get wet. Frankly, while it's a bit odd to be alone, at least I don't need to worry about anybody else's life being in danger--except the housekeeper and her family who live in a lower lying part of the village. As I type this, the sky is blue and the sun is setting in the West. It actually feels pleasant and mild. One of those days you dreamed about experiencing when moving to Thailand. But there is also an eerie feeling about. Like the proverbial calm before the storm. I love this place too much to leave it.

savor the moment zydeco.

put on some good music.

in another month the good weather will be upon us and Thailand will be it's old beautiful self !

good luck brother

Where are you?

I am Thaveewattana Rd Soi 9

Thaveewattana Canal around there full but not critical, if it gets critical it is not the canal it is the small canals on the side of it.

Where are you?

Thaveewattana Canal around there full but not critical, if it gets critical it is not the canal it is the small canals on the side of it.

I'm right off Phutthamonthon Sai 3, to the west on the south so-called "safe" side. Flooding has already started over by Mahidol in Salaya. And the older residents of the village tell me things went under by about a meter the last big flood. On TNN this afternoon, talk was the floodwaters would swamp the Sala Thammasop. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and stay dry--but I don't think so by the way everyone is talking. By the way, one of those small canals you're talking about that goes into the Thawee Wattana canal is about 120 meters from me at the entrance. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful day outside.

Where are you?

I'm right off Phutthamonthon Sai 3, to the west on the south so-called "safe" side. Flooding has already started over by Mahidol in Salaya. And the older residents of the village tell me things went under by about a meter the last big flood. On TNN this afternoon, talk was the floodwaters would swamp the Sala Thammasop. Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and stay dry--but I don't think so by the way everyone is talking. By the way, one of those small canals you're talking about that goes into the Thawee Wattana canal is about 120 meters from me at the entrance. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful day outside.

If you get any more informations or see what coming please kindly Private Message me, or if you would do, I can give you my mobile and you send me a SMS? I would do the same....

In my area the Thawee Wattana canal has on the west side high concrete walls and many people feel safe. I had a walk there, there are plenty of these small canals going under the street and already full to the edge. Shops here are half empty. No one has a clue what is going on.

Where are you?

If you get any more informations or see what coming please kindly Private Message me, or if you would do, I can give you my mobile and you send me a SMS? I would do the same....

In my area the Thawee Wattana canal has on the west side high concrete walls and many people feel safe. I had a walk there, there are plenty of these small canals going under the street and already full to the edge. Shops here are half empty. No one has a clue what is going on.

h90, check your message box.

Is the flooding expected to last for weeks residual or new flooding?

i.e. Is it expected to take weeks for the existing flood waters to drain away (flooding and/or threatening other areas in the process) or is additional/increased flooding still occuring due to continued and forecast rainfall?

I only ask because I'm due to arrive in under two weeks and thankfully my eventual destination is, as yet, relatively unscathed. I was just wondering what the likelihood of that status quo prevailing is.

Is the flooding expected to last for weeks residual or new flooding?

i.e. Is it expected to take weeks for the existing flood waters to drain away (flooding and/or threatening other areas in the process) or is additional/increased flooding still occuring due to continued and forecast rainfall?

I only ask because I'm due to arrive in under two weeks and thankfully my eventual destination is, as yet, relatively unscathed. I was just wondering what the likelihood of that status quo prevailing is.

Excellent question. I wish someone would provide an answer. Anyone?

Let's hope it is new water since stagnant water will lead to more problems, not disregarding the millions of mosquitoes that will be born...

Great observation cuz the "new" water is expected to be stagnation resistant, I suppose.:huh:

Continuously moving water isn't stagnant - and mosquito eggs drown in non-stagnant water.