Fishing In Thailand!

owangee

Hey all. I'm fairly new in this forum. Nice to meet you guys! Would greatly appreciate it if you guys could give some advice. Me and my bunch of friends are planning a trip to Thailand to fish! Air tix to BKK is pretty expensive now and we can't afford it. ): looked into Hatyai and the tix is pretty cheap now! Is the Mekong Catfish Pond (Plabuk, Hatyai Fishing Sport) good? How are the rates there like?

Thanks!

Hatyai fishing sport is good fun mate but it isnt anywhere near as good as the fishing in Bangkok.

It's quite a small pond. When I was there in 2008 it wasnt very easy to get down to the fish to unhook them. It's also very small compared to the lakes in Bangkok.

The banks were very steep down to the pond which was rectangular in shape. It may have changed now.

When people had the run of a fish it would go up and down the pond a few times meaning you have to cross over other peoples lines alot.

When I was there the best method to catch a fish was to cast right to the far bank. Not difficult as it's quite small but thats where the fish were.

The most popular bait was fish pellets added to water so they expand. This sticky brown smelly mess is then stuck to a feeder and on the hook. The hook bait is stuck into the bait ball

where it'll free itself and get sucked in by mekongs.

Go to bangkok. I'd suggest Bung Samran for tourists.

The cheapest way to do it is probably to get a taxi to bungsamran and hire a guide there if you need one. It's 1000 baht for the day for a guide.

Each Rod will cost you 1000 baht and 500 baht of bait should be enough per person.

Make sure you have the address in Thai so the taxi can find the place. Guide companies like to keep it a secret.

I'm sure more expats will give you additional advice.

If I rated hatyai at a 4/10, Bung samran would be the full 10/10 if not higher. It's world beating fishing there.

Good luck.

There is a website somewhere with their prices on it. I think at the time I paid 80 baht for the day per rod. Then more for bait obviously.

I think this is their new page (translated)

My link

Map:

My link

I found the place using a gps...

(see bait and where to cast to....)

Edited by jackinbkk

Hey! Thanks for the detailed info and links! I opted for Hatyai instead because the flights are cheaper and its not flooded. BKK is in a pretty bad situation now? My friends are all looking forward to BSR but with the flooding going on, hopes seems really low. ):