O To B Or Just Start With B?

Just a quick update for those who are following this.

As I am getting set up in Chiang Mai, Greg has referred me to Phil at the Sunbelt Asia office there, since they will be more familiar with the local situation and requirements. I am just now waiting to hear from that office to get a list of all costs and start the process.

I will keep you all posted on the progress. Again thanks to Greg from Sunbelt's BKK office.

seeker

I just got confirmation from the Honorary Consulate in Alabama that they today received my application for the non-imm B, multiple-entry visa and they were sending same back today. Should be here Friday. Fast, courteous service and they were very helpful throughout. I can definitely recommend using this office along with the Denver and Houston offices that have already been recommended.

I also have received a formal proposal from the Chiang Mai office of Sunbelt Asia. All seems quite reasonable and as expected. I am now awaiting a response to some clarification questions.

So far getting the B visa and setting up the business has been painless and I hope it continues in this way. For those who are considering this route I will update as this develops.

Good news Sunbelt Asia about the 1 Thai employee rule for consultants. That will help to be on the 1 year extension track right away.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I did actually receive the B visa the day after the Alabama honorary consulate received it from me. Just as they promised, they processed everything and sent back the passport on the same day that they received it.

Now with the 1 Thai employee rule in place, the only thing I would do differently would be to simply get a single entry 90 day B visa instead of the multiple entry. No need to get the more expensive visa as getting a company set up that qualifies one for a 1 year visa extension based on business is now less complicated and less expensive and should be easily doable withing 90 days

Update - I did actually receive the B visa the day after the Alabama honorary consulate received it from me.  Just as they promised, they processed everything and sent back the passport on the same day that they received it.

By way of introduction, I am teaching at the college and university level here in Thailand, as well as part of an export partnership with a Thai national.

Your experience confirms mine and a host of others. Do ALL your visa business outside of SE Asia!

I had the same good experience as you did, except that I went through the Thai consulate in Los Angeles. Only a few basic documents (and the employer's letter) required. Same day turn-around and very user-friendly.

By contrast, due to documentation problems by my first inexperienced employer in Thailand, I was unable to obtain a 1-year extension on my Visa-B. Therefore, I tried obtaining a new Visa-B, this time at the Thai Embassy in Vientianne, Laos. Nearly impossible. Despite bringing over 25 various documents (including those that were accepted by the L.A. consulate), they always came up with something new I didn't have (in one case, they wanted to see a class schedule--which the college hadn't even come out with, yet!). Each fruitless trip cost me an application fee, travel, and hotel expenses, let alone canceled classes which had to be made up later. Horrendous nightmare!

As is Steve in the UK, I've also been following this thread with great interest, as the information affects me on several levels. Appreciate your (and Sunbelt's) methodical and organized way of working through the myriad of details.