Korat Immigration Office

mussen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extention of 'O' Visa based on marriage at Korat Immigration. Compared to last year they've changed the paperwork required. Last year it was one photograph with the wife and kids, and was the same the year before. This year it's 3 photos. One of me, the wife, and kids in a group shot. One of the outside of your house and one of the inside. Three total. How do they verify that the ones of my house are of my house ? Why do they change the conditions, without publishing the fact beforehand ?

Last year it was two photocopies of the normal things, Tabien Baan, Marriage certificate etc etc. This year, one photocopy of everything. Last year a hand drawn map of the location of your house. Not needed this year.

What I'd like to know is, why we (farang) have to turn up in person to get our visa's and do our 90 day report ? A woman was at the counter, adjacent to where I was processed, with a large cardboard box full of Cambodian passports. They were then processed and stamped. Is it one rule for us...................................................?

Sinbin, I've read your previous posts about Korat Immigration before you changed your avatar. I think they see you coming; other people don't seem to have your problems. For example, I have had my 90-days' report done for me by a Thai on more than one occasion.

Sinbin, I've read your previous posts about Korat Immigration before you changed your avatar. I think they see you coming; other people don't seem to have your problems. For example, I have had my 90-days' report done for me by a Thai on more than one occasion.

Which avatar was that ? Like you isanbirder, I change my avatar now and then. Unfortunately I fail to see what that has to do with my visiting Korat immigration today ? I seriously think that "other people don't seem to have your problems" is may be because they are 'Thaiophiled' and try to behave like a Thai by wai-ing and never seeing wrong in people who have government positions. Who knows. It's plausible !!

Good for you isanbirder that you have someone that calls into immigration and waits for your 90 day report to be stamped, but I doubt very much that 'they actually do the report for you'. Okay I'm nit picking , but so are you.

All I've done is to try to explain to others that there will be a difference in the requirement for a 'marriage extension' this year to last year. Plus I added a few questions to keep this thread going. Is that a bad thing ?

Extention of 'O' Visa based on marriage at Korat Immigration. Compared to last year they've changed the paperwork required. Last year it was one photograph with the wife and kids, and was the same the year before. This year it's 3 photos. One of me, the wife, and kids in a group shot. One of the outside of your house and one of the inside. Three total. How do they verify that the ones of my house are of my house ? Why do they change the conditions, without publishing the fact beforehand ?

Last year it was two photocopies of the normal things, Tabien Baan, Marriage certificate etc etc. This year, one photocopy of everything. Last year a hand drawn map of the location of your house. Not needed this year.

What I'd like to know is, why we (farang) have to turn up in person to get our visa's and do our 90 day report ? A woman was at the counter, adjacent to where I was processed, with a large cardboard box full of Cambodian passports. They were then processed and stamped. Is it one rule for us...................................................?

I guess this is Cardholders point.

As for the Cambodian passports. It is more that likely that they were getting extensions for work. In certain circumstances employers can go to obtain employees visas on the applicants behalf, so long as all forms are signed by the applicant beforehand.

As it is only you that is married to your wife then you have to go.

As someone mentioned before you have been ranting about Khorat Immigration for ages. They probably know about this.

They are Thai so why not show a bit of Thainess to them. I will always wai a Thai official when I see them. Maybe you think I am a fool for doing this, maybe not. I get my stuff done well and promptly. You appear not to. So I guess it is someone else who is the fool and not me.

Which avatar was that ? Like you isanbirder, I change my avatar now and then. Unfortunately I fail to see what that has to do with my visiting Korat immigration today ? I seriously think that "other people don't seem to have your problems" is may be because they are 'Thaiophiled' and try to behave like a Thai by wai-ing and never seeing wrong in people who have government positions. Who knows. It's plausible !!

The avatar of the fat woman. No, I never change my avatar.

You'll never learn, will you? We are polite to the people in immigration because they have the whip hand; I can see no point in antagonising people from whom I want something! Even if they are wrong, you're not going to gain anything by telling them so; you don't have to be in Thailand very long to learn that.

As someone mentioned before you have been ranting about Khorat Immigration for ages.

I will always wai a Thai official when I see them. Maybe you think I am a fool for doing this, maybe not. I get my stuff done well and promptly. You appear not to. So I guess it is someone else who is the fool and not me.

Firstly, please show where "someone mentioned before you have been ranting about Khorat Immigration for ages".

If you wai a Thai official, or not, that provides a service then that is entirely up to you. Does it get you better service ? I doubt it very much. More likely to be sniggered at by the Thais that know the hows and when to wai. In fact I never once mentioned that I got bad service from Korat office. I only mentioned that they've change the extension procedure from last year.

As someone mentioned before you have been ranting about Khorat Immigration for ages.

I will always wai a Thai official when I see them. Maybe you think I am a fool for doing this, maybe not. I get my stuff done well and promptly. You appear not to. So I guess it is someone else who is the fool and not me.

Firstly, please show where "someone mentioned before you have been ranting about Khorat Immigration for ages".

If you wai a Thai official, or not, that provides a service then that is entirely up to you. Does it get you better service ? I doubt it very much. More likely to be sniggered at by the Thais that know the hows and when to wai. In fact I never once mentioned that I got bad service from Korat office. I only mentioned that they've change the extension procedure from last year.

A poster mentioned having read your posts on a previous thread. There were many rants involved. Instead of going through the whole sorry story again I just pointed that out.

I already mentioned that all of my stuff gets done well and promptly. I am a fully aware of how to wai people of different standings, having lived and worked here for many years. Seems to me you feel that you are well above everybody that there is no need for you to do it. Whenever I greet the officials in Khorat Immigration I have always received the same greeting back with a big smile. A wai is a simple, polite way to greet people and to say thank you. Politeness cost nothing in any language.

You never mentioned that you got a bad service from Khorat Immigration. LOL. That is funny.

Your second reply is amazing. You now think that you are paying Immigration for a service. NO you are not. You are paying for an extension of stay. Indeed it is their job to do this, if everything is in orderHowever, anybody in any service in any country are there to serve you. They are not your servants. Respect others and they will respect you.

You never mentioned that you got a bad service from Khorat Immigration. LOL. That is funny.

Yeah I'm giggling too.
Your second reply is amazing. You now think that you are paying Immigration for a service.
I never said that. They are in government jobs and it's always expected, by Thais, to get wai-ed by them first.

Below is how Thai people see themselves in government jobs. They think themselves superior to all who walk through the door.

As to why I don't wai. Firstly it's not practiced country wide and is predominantly used in Isaan and is a dying custom. Secondly, I don't 'wai' because it's not our custom, and not expected for us to do so. If you really want a laugh youreavinalaff, then watch 'Thaiophiled' farangs wai each other. Now that is funny.

Status is generally connected with government positions Thai people would rather work as a government employee than as businessman as it is easier to become a man with status (chao nai) this way. Becoming a "Chao Nai" is the popular pursuit of all Thai people as it is easy work, brings honor, gives power, and elevates one to a position where others give respect and homage. Parents encourage children to join government service in hopes they will get status.

http://www.thaicov.org/resources/documents/thai_values.html

The avatar of the fat woman. No, I never change my avatar.

You'll never learn, will you? We are polite to the people in immigration because they have the whip hand; I can see no point in antagonising people from whom I want something! Even if they are wrong, you're not going to gain anything by telling them so; you don't have to be in Thailand very long to learn that.

Sensible approach, IB.

An inflammatory post has been removed.

Posts containing links to other forums have removed:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations.

Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.

Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Nobody made the assumption that the Cambodian passports were for 90 day reports.

Immigration department rules state that 90 day posts can be made by post or by another person. Cardholder was only pointing that out as you had previously asked a question on the lines of why do farangs have to do it in person.

The last time I asked Khorat about it they said you could do it by post. Maybe because I asked them politely and waied them!!!!!They did, however, no recommend it as the postal system had often let people down, leading to a 200 baht per day fine.

Work permits are not issued by Immigration. They are issued by the Labour Department.

And once again Sinbin you show yourself to be somewhat contradictable.

A reply to a previously deleted post has been deleted. Another post has been deleted as the poster made his reply inside the quoted post.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

The OP asked if the Korat immigrationoffice is still in Dan Kwian. The answer is yes it is.

He also asked if someome has a map which shows the location. Google Map should be sufficient.

If from Korat take route 224 south direction Chok Chai. The entrance road to the pottery village is on your left hand and is flanked by two giant urns. You can't miss them.

If from Chok Chai ake the same route north direction Korat. After you have passed the road to Korat Zoo you will soon see the entrance road to the pottery village on your right hand side.

Have a good trip :)

Nobody made the assumption that the Cambodian passports were for 90 day reports.

Immigration department rules state that 90 day posts can be made by post or by another person. Cardholder was only pointing that out as you had previously asked a question on the lines of why do farangs have to do it in person.

The last time I asked Khorat about it they said you could do it by post. Maybe because I asked them politely and waied them!!!!!They did, however, no recommend it as the postal system had often let people down, leading to a 200 baht per day fine.

Work permits are not issued by Immigration. They are issued by the Labour Department.

And once again Sinbin you show yourself to be somewhat contradict-able.

Okay Metisdead. I'll play along.

1. Youreavinalaff, Isanbirder made the assumption that "the Cambodian passports were 90 day reports".

2. Have you been appointed as Cardholders spokesman ? No, so please don't explain as to why he did whatever.

3. Yeah Korat told me that as well, and after 10 days or so, I phoned them to see if they had received my TM47. "No we don't do report by post" was their reply. Due to my keeping my EMS receipt of postage, no fine were incurred. Contrary to your statement that they fine you 200 Baht per day.

4. "Work permits" was an an assumption not a statement. I was just trying to indicate that there's other reasons to go to immigration other than '90 day reports'.

And once again youreavinalaff, you show yourself to be somewhat contradictable.

The OP asked if the Korat immigrationoffice is still in Dan Kwian. The answer is yes it is.

He also asked if someome has a map which shows the location. Google Map should be sufficient.

If from Korat take route 224 south direction Chok Chai. The entrance road to the pottery village is on your left hand and is flanked by two giant urns. You can't miss them.

If from Chok Chai ake the same route north direction Korat. After you have passed the road to Korat Zoo you will soon see the entrance road to the pottery village on your right hand side.

Have a good trip :)

The OP actually asked two questions. The second was for a map. I duly obliged the the OP and published a map (now deleted). Reason being because I copied it from another website and published it on here. In the past, the same map has been published on this site with no censorship. :D

Edited by sinbin

I've only ever used Korat imm office, so don't know how it compares. My experiences there have been issue of retirement visa (took 3 attempts) and the 90 day reports related to same. Wait for report varied from 5 mins to 2 hours, mainly related to amount of notice taken by imm officers to the "take a number and wait" verses "thai people who are allowed to queue jump". I know life is not a popularity contest, and feel that 99% of all Thai people don't care if 99% of farang live or die; or where they do it.

Those who care don't know, and those who know don't care seems to apply- as usual. Still, nobody made me come and try to live here eh?

What is wrong with becoming thaiophied?? We expect immigrants to the uk to become englophied and learn to shake hands etc. Living in thailand without learning to wai is ignorant and abnoxious

I have to agree with that. One reason I left uk 4 years ago was fear of being forced to become a muslim woman (ha ha).

I will happily wai anyone if it might do me some good, no skin off my nose.

When I was in Phuket working (not teafal) for a year I was even picking up converstional Thai; but in this village I don't bother 'cas the latest chat about rice is not for me.

What is wrong with becoming thaiophied?? We expect immigrants to the uk to become englophied and learn to shake hands etc. Living in thailand without learning to wai is ignorant and abnoxious

I have to agree with that. One reason I left uk 4 years ago was fear of being forced to become a muslim woman (ha ha).

I will happily wai anyone if it might do me some good, no skin off my nose.

When I was in Phuket working (not teafal) for a year I was even picking up converstional Thai; but in this village I don't bother 'cas the latest chat about rice is not for me.

It is curious that frequency of use of the wai varies from area to area. When I lived in Chiangmai, I used to visit Phitsanulok regularly with a Chiangmai-born Thai colleague. He was astonished at the way they wai-ed each other every time they met, e.g. two teachers from different schools who had known each other for years. When I was there, I got used to wai-ing everyone I knew (mostly teachers); here in Isan, I rarely see a wai. But I think everywhere it is customary to wai Government officials, if only because you don't often make contact with them unless you want something from them!