Korat Immigration Office

mussen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my understanding of the wai.

The wai is a minefield. It ain't a handshake, it ain't a high five, it ain't a way of saying hello.

Even a handshake is complex. You wouldn't shake hands with the CEO of your company. Or the waitress who serves you. Would you shake hands with your dentist? Your plumber? Trying to explain to a Thai when and when not to shake hands is a struggle. Well, the wai is a hundred times more complex. So in an attempt to stop more newbies embarrassing themselves, here are the rules about the wai:

Rule Number 1. Never wai anyone. The wai is a way of two Thais establishing where they stand in relation to each other. Who wais who and how serious the wai is depends on their relative ages, status, wealth, and family relationship. As a Westerner, you don't slot into the Thai hierarchy, so the wai doesn't apply. There are two views as to why this is so. The Western view would be that we are so far above them in terms of status, that there is no need to wai anyone. The Thai view would be that we are so inferior that a wai is unnecessary. Either way, Rule Number 1 applies. Any attempt at using a wai will result in you showing your ignorance.

The Thai who is lower in status initiates the wai. And the wai of the lower status Thai is more formal than the Thai of higher status. This is why it is so ridiculous when a farang wais a serving girl, a bargirl or a pimp. You are effectively saying that you are inferior to them (though in the case of most sex tourists, that's probably true).

A very serious, heavy duty, wai would mean the fingertips coming up to eyebrow level. A farang would only ever use such a wai if he met a very heavy duty Thai, and frankly very few farangs are ever going to get within a hundred yards of someone like that.

A serious wai would be the fingertips at mouth and nose level. It's the wai that a child would give a parent, or a pupil to a teacher. That's what you will tend to get from waitresses and hookers, but they don't mean that they are according you higher status, any more than a United Airlines air hostess means it when she tells you to 'have a nice day'.

A regular wai would be the fingertips at chin level. That's the wai a higher ranking Thai would give to a subordinate in reply to a serious wai.

A perfunctory wai would be with the fingertips at chest level. It's not a wai to be initiated, it's a half-hearted reply to someone who is giving you a wai.

The regular wai and the half-hearted wai are the only two wais that should ever be attempted by a farang, and only as a response, never as an initiation. But remember, Rule Number 1 always applies.

Rule Number 2. Sometimes it's okay to wai a monk. All Thais wai monks, no matter what their status. The average sex tourist is not going to come into contact with a monk, but some might go up country with their temporary girlfriend and be taken along to the local wat. If you are introduced to one of the local monks, then it is okay to wai. But the monk won't expect you to. He knows the score. You won't be the first sex tourist to be taken to his wat, and you won't be the last. Follow your girlfriend's lead. If she wais, then you can. Tips of the fingers no higher than your chin. To be honest though, the monk is going to be more interested in how much money you give to the wat than whether or not you wai him. Rule Number 1 still applies.

Rule Number 3. It is sometimes okay to wai old people. Not just any old people, though. Just because someone is older than you doesn't mean that they are automatically accorded more status. But if your temporary girlfriend introduces you to her father and mother, then it is okay to wai them. Fingertips no higher than the chin. They should return the wai. If they don't (and that happened to me once, a long time ago) then you should be in no doubt as to what they think about you. You can wai them when you first meet them, and when you say goodbye. You have to know that you are in fact older than your girlfriend's parents, of course. In the case of most sex tourists, they are usually the same age or even older than the girl's parents. If they are in fact younger than you, then they should be initiating the wai. They won't, of course, because they will think themselves superior to you, because they are Thai and you are farang. Rule Number 1 still applies.

Rule Number 4. It is sometimes okay to return a wai. As a Westerner, Thais will occasionally wai you. Sometimes as a greeting. Sometimes as a 'thank you'. Do not give them a wai in return. Simply smile and nod. Maybe say 'sawasdee krap' or 'chok dee.' (Be lucky). Remember, Rule Number 1 always applies.

You will often be given a wai by waitresses and bargirls. Just smile back. Hotel staff will wai you. Just smile. So who would you return a wai to? Remember, Rule Number 1 applies. But there are a few occasions when maybe, just maybe, it's okay to return a wai.

If your temporary girlfriend introduces you to younger members of her family, and if they are not in the sex industry, and if they seem sincere when they wai you, then it's a nice gesture to wai them back. Fingertips at chest level is okay. If your girlfriend has kids (a fair bet) and if she introduces them to you (unlikely, but possible) and if they wai you, then it's okay to wai them back, for no other reason than the fact that you are teaching them good manners. Other than that, Rule Number 1 applies.

Rule Number 5. It is sometimes okay to wai in return for a service rendered. This is far less complex than a greeting wai. Thais will wai you when you do something for them, and this usually involves giving them money. Just smile in return. You never return a wai given for a service rendered. And Rule Number 1 applies.

Should you wai someone if they do something for you? The simple answer is no. Rule 1 applies. Generally, a Thai is only going to be doing something for you if you are paying them. The money is your way of saying thank you, the wai is superfluous. If a Thai does do you a great favour and isn't being recompensed financially, then you might consider a wai.

Oh yeah, don't bother giving a wai to a policeman. He will either take a bribe from you, or take you to jail. A wai will make no difference to the outcome. Rule Number 1 applies. Okay, them's the rules. But you don't need them all. Just remember Rule 1. Never wai anyone. That way you won't look like a Newbie.

The wai is a minefield. It ain't a handshake, it ain't a high five, it ain't a way of saying hello.

Even a handshake is complex. You wouldn't shake hands with the CEO of your company. Or the waitress who serves you. Would you shake hands with your dentist? Your plumber? Trying to explain to a Thai when and when not to shake hands is a struggle. Well, the wai is a hundred times more complex. So in an attempt to stop more newbies embarrassing themselves, here are the rules about the wai:

Rule Number 1. Never wai anyone. The wai is a way of two Thais establishing where they stand in relation to each other. Who wais who and how serious the wai is depends on their relative ages, status, wealth, and family relationship. As a Westerner, you don't slot into the Thai hierarchy, so the wai doesn't apply. There are two views as to why this is so. The Western view would be that we are so far above them in terms of status, that there is no need to wai anyone. The Thai view would be that we are so inferior that a wai is unnecessary. Either way, Rule Number 1 applies. Any attempt at using a wai will result in you showing your ignorance.

The Thai who is lower in status initiates the wai. And the wai of the lower status Thai is more formal than the Thai of higher status. This is why it is so ridiculous when a farang wais a serving girl, a bargirl or a pimp. You are effectively saying that you are inferior to them (though in the case of most sex tourists, that's probably true).

A very serious, heavy duty, wai would mean the fingertips coming up to eyebrow level. A farang would only ever use such a wai if he met a very heavy duty Thai, and frankly very few farangs are ever going to get within a hundred yards of someone like that.

A serious wai would be the fingertips at mouth and nose level. It's the wai that a child would give a parent, or a pupil to a teacher. That's what you will tend to get from waitresses and hookers, but they don't mean that they are according you higher status, any more than a United Airlines air hostess means it when she tells you to 'have a nice day'.

A regular wai would be the fingertips at chin level. That's the wai a higher ranking Thai would give to a subordinate in reply to a serious wai.

A perfunctory wai would be with the fingertips at chest level. It's not a wai to be initiated, it's a half-hearted reply to someone who is giving you a wai.

The regular wai and the half-hearted wai are the only two wais that should ever be attempted by a farang, and only as a response, never as an initiation. But remember, Rule Number 1 always applies.

Rule Number 2. Sometimes it's okay to wai a monk. All Thais wai monks, no matter what their status. The average sex tourist is not going to come into contact with a monk, but some might go up country with their temporary girlfriend and be taken along to the local wat. If you are introduced to one of the local monks, then it is okay to wai. But the monk won't expect you to. He knows the score. You won't be the first sex tourist to be taken to his wat, and you won't be the last. Follow your girlfriend's lead. If she wais, then you can. Tips of the fingers no higher than your chin. To be honest though, the monk is going to be more interested in how much money you give to the wat than whether or not you wai him. Rule Number 1 still applies.

Rule Number 3. It is sometimes okay to wai old people. Not just any old people, though. Just because someone is older than you doesn't mean that they are automatically accorded more status. But if your temporary girlfriend introduces you to her father and mother, then it is okay to wai them. Fingertips no higher than the chin. They should return the wai. If they don't (and that happened to me once, a long time ago) then you should be in no doubt as to what they think about you. You can wai them when you first meet them, and when you say goodbye. You have to know that you are in fact older than your girlfriend's parents, of course. In the case of most sex tourists, they are usually the same age or even older than the girl's parents. If they are in fact younger than you, then they should be initiating the wai. They won't, of course, because they will think themselves superior to you, because they are Thai and you are farang. Rule Number 1 still applies.

Rule Number 4. It is sometimes okay to return a wai. As a Westerner, Thais will occasionally wai you. Sometimes as a greeting. Sometimes as a 'thank you'. Do not give them a wai in return. Simply smile and nod. Maybe say 'sawasdee krap' or 'chok dee.' (Be lucky). Remember, Rule Number 1 always applies.

You will often be given a wai by waitresses and bargirls. Just smile back. Hotel staff will wai you. Just smile. So who would you return a wai to? Remember, Rule Number 1 applies. But there are a few occasions when maybe, just maybe, it's okay to return a wai.

If your temporary girlfriend introduces you to younger members of her family, and if they are not in the sex industry, and if they seem sincere when they wai you, then it's a nice gesture to wai them back. Fingertips at chest level is okay. If your girlfriend has kids (a fair bet) and if she introduces them to you (unlikely, but possible) and if they wai you, then it's okay to wai them back, for no other reason than the fact that you are teaching them good manners. Other than that, Rule Number 1 applies.

Rule Number 5. It is sometimes okay to wai in return for a service rendered. This is far less complex than a greeting wai. Thais will wai you when you do something for them, and this usually involves giving them money. Just smile in return. You never return a wai given for a service rendered. And Rule Number 1 applies.

Should you wai someone if they do something for you? The simple answer is no. Rule 1 applies. Generally, a Thai is only going to be doing something for you if you are paying them. The money is your way of saying thank you, the wai is superfluous. If a Thai does do you a great favour and isn't being recompensed financially, then you might consider a wai.

Oh yeah, don't bother giving a wai to a policeman. He will either take a bribe from you, or take you to jail. A wai will make no difference to the outcome. Rule Number 1 applies. Okay, them's the rules. But you don't need them all. Just remember Rule 1. Never wai anyone. That way you won't look like a Newbie.

Well. Never thought I'd say it, but our Sinbin has got this one about right, and has managed it without abuse of either the Thais or the foreigners who do use the wai! I tend to agree. We are not really required to understand the complexities of the wai-ing system and therefore, perhaps, we should avoid the use of it except in circumstances where we know we, and the Thai we are greeting, feel equally comfortable with the greeting. And that's rare. (Though most Thais are very forgiving of foreigner foibles).

What I do find really embarrasing, is foreigners wai-ing other foreigners - presumably imagining that it gives their "Thai-ness" some credence, whereas nothing could be further from the truth.

That said, I greet the immigration officers with respect (for their office), and a smile to indicate that I'm there on a non-combative mission. I never bribe, I'm always as polite as I would expect others to be if the situation were reversed. More to the point, I ensure that I have filled in the forms correctly and have lots of photocopied back-up information to hand just in case I should happen to encounter an officer who is in a shitty mood because the guy before me pissed the officer off. So far, touch wood, I've never had any real immigration problems - but then I'm a bit of a newbie in Issan, having only been here since 1997.

Edited by richardjm65

"Well. Never thought I'd say it, but our Sinbin has got this one about right, and has managed it without abuse of either the Thais or the foreigners who do use the wai!"

Firstly I'm nobodies Sinbin. Secondly I don't abuse Thais or foreigners who use the wai. I just write what I see. Thirdly, abuse, I would assume, is against forum rules. So, as far as I'm aware none of my posts have been removed for that. Once again I get accused of saying/doing things that I'm not guilty of. But aside that Richardjm65, thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I hold my hands up and admit I'm not the original writer of the interpretation of the wai. I copied it and edited to get passed this forums harsh censor rules.

Edited by sinbin

What is wrong with becoming thaiophied?? We expect immigrants to the uk to become englophied and learn to shake hands etc. Living in thailand without learning to wai is ignorant and abnoxious

We don't expect immigragrants to the UK to become englophied and to shake hands etc. The UK government, as a matter of fact, shells out millions of Pounds encouraging immigrants to retain their cultural heritage. It's now acceptable that the UK to celebrate the 'Festival of Light'. What's that all about then if we want immigrants to be "englophide" ? Isaanbrit, the word is 'Anglophile', duh !!

"From this perspective, forcing immigrants to change their behaviour risks being counter-productive, better a society of volunteers than conscripts."

I'm not sure I can produce my quote source, so I'll exclude it.

Edited by sinbin

"Well. Never thought I'd say it, but our Sinbin has got this one about right, and has managed it without abuse of either the Thais or the foreigners who do use the wai!"

Firstly I'm nobodies Sinbin. Secondly I don't abuse Thais or foreigners who use the wai. I just write what I see. Thirdly, abuse, I would assume, is against forum rules. So, as far as I'm aware none of my posts have been removed for that. Once again I get accused of saying/doing things that I'm not guilty of. But aside that Richardjm65, thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately I hold my hands up and admit I'm not the original writer of the interpretation of the wai. I copied it and edited to get passed this forums harsh censor rules.

My, my! Arn't you the touchy one. Sorry for using the possessive "OUR". It was not intended to offend you.

I did not accuse you of abuse of Thais or foreigners. In fact I said "without abuse of either the Thais or foreigners who do use the wai". So no, I'm not accusing you of "saying/doing things that I'm not guilty of". And if you interpreted my response as an attack, then once again, I'm sorry.

I was also aware that your post concerning the wai was not original as I recall reading it some other place, some other time. Besides, the original contained an element of humour.

My, my! Arn't you the touchy one. Sorry for using the possessive "OUR". It was not intended to offend you.

I did not accuse you of abuse of Thais or foreigners. In fact I said "without abuse of either the Thais or foreigners who do use the wai". So no, I'm not accusing you of "saying/doing things that I'm not guilty of". And if you interpreted my response as an attack, then once again, I'm sorry.

I was also aware that your post concerning the wai was not original as I recall reading it some other place, some other time. Besides, the original contained an element of humour.

No I'm not touchy Richardjm65. Just particular about comments that bare no relevance to the post. Yes you did accuse me of "abuse of either the Thais or foreigners who do use the wai. By including "and has managed it without" which implies that I've have done in the past.

Your final sentence regarding my post on the wai is complete nonsense. You claim "the original contained an element of humour". Obviously you never read the original article, as you claim, as it's exactly the same, except for the top paragraph which I deleted to escape the forum rules. That paragraph contained nothing humorous. I'll even post if you wish to prove it even though it may get deleted.:(

Richardjm6 try harder next time.

Edited by sinbin

Here you go Richardjm65. The missing humorous bit I deleted.

There are several things that p**s me off about Thailand. Sex tourists trying to talk down the price of bar fines. Cheap b****rds carrying their drinks from bar to bar. And newbies who think it's cool to wai.

Edited by sinbin

There are several things that p**s me off about Thailand. Sex tourists trying to talk down the price of bar fines. Cheap b****rds carrying their drinks from bar to bar. And newbies who think it's cool to wai.

It was an interesting article, Sinbin, but it would be even more interesting if we knew who originally wrote it. Your "missing first paragraph" suggests it might be somebody with marked prejudices (though I must say I agree with him/her about the first two... even though it's not a part of Thailand I'm familiar with!).

It was an interesting article, Sinbin, but it would be even more interesting if we knew who originally wrote it. Your "missing first paragraph" suggests it might be somebody with marked prejudices (though I must say I agree with him/her about the first two... even though it's not a part of Thailand I'm familiar with!).

Actually, it really does not matter who wrote the original piece. What matters is that " Independently owned and operated" sinbin takes issue with almost anything he can. I've made my apologies to you, sinbin , for using the possessive "OUR" and also for the Thai foreigner wai remark. What more do you think I should offer you?

In my opinion, you might consider re-locating to, perhaps, North Korea or Saudi Arabia, where you might find the humour and the way of life more suited to your viewpoints, and your attitude towards life in general. It's my understanding that both territories offer fun-filled days and side-splitting laughs every inch of the way.

And you, independently owned and operated sinbin, are quite wrong in stating that I had not read the original article that you copied. I found it quite sad that in all your posts, the one that I thought actually made some sense, turned out to be plagiarism. When may we expect something original, meaningful and useful from you? I know - you say it as you see it!

And, by the way, the original theme here was Korat Immigration.

Sinbin, have you ever considered a career in stand-up comedy? (I do apologise, yet again, for any offence), but it seems to be something you might be good at. (Once again, abject apologies for any perceived offence).

I wai my in laws when I meet them. I am married to their daughter and I have their respect as a son in law. I get a smile and a wai back.

I wai teachers in schools. I wai immigration. I wai Thai friends when I see them. I wai people that I have just been introduced to. I get wai(ed) back

Most importantly I will wai back someone who wais me first.

Wai(ing) is not cool. It is polite.

I will tell you one thing too. If I did not do what I do then my wife would have something to say about it.

I think to have to cut and paste something to prove a point shows ignorance.

I am not a newbie by the way.

Edited by youreavinalaff

Looks like DS's (via Stickman.com) understanding to me.

A shame that you didn't attribute what you substantially copied -- even if you are "DS".

Sorry, hadn't read the previous "outing" --

No worries Klikster. Misquoting\misinterpretation of ones posts is common occurrence on this particular forum. People shoot from the hip on here.

shoot from the hip to react to a situation very quickly and with a lot of force, without thinking about the possible effects of your actions His critics accuse him of shooting from the hip when challenged.

Thank you for your observations. Edited by sinbin

Looks like DS's (via Stickman.com) understanding to me.

A shame that you didn't attribute what you substantially copied -- even if you are "DS".

Sorry, hadn't read the previous "outing" --

No worries Klikster. Misquoting\misinterpretation of ones posts is common occurrence on this particular forum. Thank you for your observations.

I believe you are correct about misinterpretation being so common here. Someone else pointed out you copied "your understanding of the wai" from Stickman's site. I was saying "sorry" to others, not to you.

I have nothing but disdain for someone who "borrows" and posts other people's work without attribution.

No worries Klikster. Misquoting\misinterpretation of ones posts is common occurrence on this particular forum. Thank you for your observations.

I believe you are correct about misinterpretation being so common here. Someone else pointed out you copied "your understanding of the wai" from Stickman's site. I was saying "sorry" to others, not to you.

I have nothing but disdain for someone who "borrows" and posts other people's work without attribution.

As I explained before, please read back. This forum doesn't allow posters to quote from other forums/sites. It leaves no other option than to "borrows". Even though the original writer didn't post the said "work", I'm sure his intent would be minded in educating others that failed to read it initially. Get a life Klikster, smell the coffee.

Do you think it's the only article on the Web ? Nah, try 'Google' instead of hiding behind forums that cajole you into that 'all things in Thailand are good.' There's a real Thailand out there and it ain't all LOS. That's for tourists. I live here and ................................................

As I explained before, please read back. This forum doesn't allow posters to quote from other forums/sites. It leaves no other option than to "borrows". Even though the original writer didn't post the said "work", I'm sure his intent would be minded in educating others that failed to read it initially. Get a life Klikster, smell the coffee.

A bit of an odd statement in light of the Stickman link in one of my posts -- and the link to the Thai forum in another.

Other forums -- maybe. Links to non-forum sites, happens all the time.

Do you think it's the only article on the Web ? Nah, try 'Google' instead of hiding behind forums that cajole you into that 'all things in Thailand are good.' There's a real Thailand out there and it ain't all LOS. That's for tourists. I live here and ................................................

Is it a quiz about sinbin?

here's a real Thailand out there and it ain't all LOS. That's for tourists. I live here and ................................................

........ I have learned <deleted> all ?

here's a real Thailand out there and it ain't all LOS. That's for tourists. I live here and ................................................

+1

mean while, back at the ranch.............

I went korat imm yesterday; and i claim a new indoor asian record.

from taking a ticket, to leaving with "job done" (90 day report)------- 6 mins 37 secs.

Amazing Thailand; or is it water world?

You been drinking Cardholder ? Read it again and see where you went wrong. You are right in that you have learned nothing. You put a '?' where it shouldn't be. You never asked a question. Richardjm65 also agreed with you, hence why he contributed '+1' as a post. A man of many words. Obviously he was on the same bottle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have an axe, you can do a few things with it, grinding it is not the only option.

I am convinced that SinBin could be Korat Kurt.

I am convinced that none of comments have any credibility.

And I learned to simply ignore him, he has nothing to add to anything except argumentative BS. It wasn't easy ignoring him at first, but each day it got a little easier, until finally...he just simply disappeared from my thoughts.

I like most of the rest of you though!

:rolleyes:

mean while, back at the ranch.............

I went korat imm yesterday; and i claim a new indoor asian record.

from taking a ticket, to leaving with "job done" (90 day report)------- 6 mins 37 secs.

Amazing Thailand; or is it water world?

Went last week for my second attempt at this years retirement extension nothing wrong with the first one, they just cant read their own rules in Korat Imm, left the other half in the car outside to avoid the usual " we need copies of her id and so on crap" NOT NEEDED cause i am not married to a thai and never will, anyway just a scattering of people in the que, pulled my ticket and sat down..

One lady chatted to a falang that came in with an issue of sorts, for around 30 mins and after he left she did nothing else for the time i was there..

Another lady, processing the applications was painfully slow, the photo copy scam was in full steam on one chap, his wife must have spent a fair wack as she was up and down to the machine lady countless times at the request of the officer..

A third officer arrived from somewhere in her black izuzu half way through my wait, ( the dreaded D, with the large you know whats)..she spent at least half an hour on her mobile phone before diciding to sit down and take applicants..her first one was a young monk. I was her second.

When she started my application, it came to a halt fast, as she could not work the passport scanner and software..she accepted the help of the the big plump lad , IT guru sitting behind her to assist her, then she turned around and said to me that this sysytem we use now will speed up things, WHAT!

TOTAL TIME for my service and wait....1hour and 40 mins, tried the 2000bhat crap, i had my 1900baht ready and not a penny (baht )more...

TOTAL APPLICANTS processed the time i was there, 5-five, Yep you read correctly.....5. three falangs, one monk and an asian lady but not a thai...

Some of you chaps must be going to a different imm office than me or something must be sliding under the table ( let me know how much please):whistling:

Some of you chaps must be going to a different imm office than me or something must be sliding under the table ( let me know how much please):whistling:

Got my first retirement visa extension in '97. Except for a Bt 800 late report fine a few years ago, and except for official fees, I have never paid immigration a baht.

Really a shame you would suggest corruption when you apparently have no evidence.