Thailand Declares Holidays To Cope With Flood Crisis

webfact

Thailand declares holidays to cope with flood crisis

BANGKOK, October 25, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand on Tuesday declared a three-day holiday in Bangkok and other flood-affected areas as high tides are forecast to flow up the city's main river and worsen floods creeping into the city.

Schools, businesses and government offices will shut on Thursday and Friday, and the following Monday, creating a five-day break in the capital and 20 other provinces.

"The cabinet today approved the declaration of October 27 through to 31 as holidays," Pracha Promnog, head of the Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC), said after ministers met to discuss the escalating crisis in Bangkok.

The central bank said it was still being decided whether to shut down financial markets as well.

The announcement came after Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra made a televised address warning residents along the Chao Phraya river to be on "full alert" after it reached record highs of of 2.30 metres on Monday.

"If the situation continues in these circumstances, the water level this weekend will hit 2.60 metres, while our average flood embankment is 2.50 metres high," he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's cabinet met north of the city centre at Don Mueang airport, which is doubling up as a shelter and a headquarters for the relief operation, but is already surrounded by water-logged roads.

"We are concerned about evacuees because there is a problem with travelling here," Yingluck said ahead of the meeting.

"We will move them to safe areas," she said, but added that for now FROC's operations would remain at the airport.

The floodwaters are creeping further into the city of 12 million people after three months of heavy rains that have plagued other parts of the country, killing more than 360 people and damaging millions of homes and livelihoods.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-25

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have to let the staff go while continue to pay their salaries - again.

Alternatively they come to work and get OT paid.

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

Or does common sense not apply here and we just shut up and pay - as usual?

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

I am NOT a lawyer.

But as far as I understand, those are holidays for government workers. Unless stated in your employees contracts that you match your holidays on those from the public administration, those extra holidays are not mandatory.

Most of companies in Thailand match their holidays on the banks' schedule. The banks are now discussing whether or not they will follow the government.

As far as I'm concerned, in my company, we're neither following the government holidays, nor the banks holidays, but the public holidays as defined before the beginning of the year. Therefore, there won't be extra holidays given. We're a small company, so it's anyway easier to handle directly depending on each employee situation.

I'm Lovn' it--- The land of Goofies

Seriously---All you folks out there in the H20....be careful.

Edited by just_another_guy

I am NOT a lawyer.

But as far as I understand, those are holidays for government workers. Unless stated in your employees contracts that you match your holidays on those from the public administration, those extra holidays are not mandatory.

Most of companies in Thailand match their holidays on the banks' schedule. The banks are now discussing whether or not they will follow the government.

As far as I'm concerned, in my company, we're neither following the government holidays, nor the banks holidays, but the public holidays as defined before the beginning of the year. Therefore, there won't be extra holidays given. We're a small company, so it's anyway easier to handle directly depending on each employee situation.

I am a lawyer and an HR manager of a Bangkok company.

This is the labor attorney side of me speaking: The Labor Protection Act only requires that you give employees 13 public holidays (from a list of 16 holidays) each year. If they work on one of those holidays, you must pay overtime. The government has merely added 3 more days to the list of 16. Banks and government offices will be closed. Private employers may remain open for business and require their employee's attendance on the holidays, without paying overtime, unless their employees have taken less than 13 public holidays during the year.

This is the HR manager side of me speaking: As a good corporate citizen, you want to sympathize and accommodate this situation which may be devastating to some of your workers. I will give you an example of an email that I sent to my staff today:

To All Staff:

The Government has designated Thursday, October 27 through Monday, October 31 as public holidays. The purpose of this holiday is to allow workers in Bangkok to return safely to their home provinces, as some areas of local flooding are anticipated over the weekend due to high tide conditions.

Please remember that these holidays apply to those who really need the time to make preparations. The Company will remain open over these holidays.

If you do not need the time off to make preparations, the Company would appreciate if you would come to work as usual. If you should need to take time off, we request that you notify HR of your absence or late arrival time for work during this flooding event.

You should also know that in the event that the office area is threatened with flooding, the Company is making relocation plans that provide for the safety and well-being of all staff and their families.

We ask that each of you take care for your health and safety during this flooding event. If you should need any assistance, do not hesitate to contact HR, as we are here to help you.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

a 5 day holiday is just what the people need

No food on the store shelves

No money in the bank machines

Great time to give workers time off to go

up north and get drunk for 5 days

I understand that this decision is the right one as I am in lak Si and we are being surrounded by the water but not everyone is touched by this problem. I am quite prepared to wade out of here to teach students at a private language centre (who want to study) and are not affected by this but I am forced to take a 7 day sabbatical. Crazy. Too many people mucking around doing nothing is not a good thing. Ask the UK government about what can happen in that situation. No money and no food. Could get nasty.

You shouldn't be in business if you can't figure out something that simple. The extra expenses for wages is listed as costs or expenses, that along with all of your other costs of doing business is subtracted from your gross leaving you with net profit. it is the net profit that you pay tax on, consequently less goes to the government.

"So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs".

You're having a laugh, are'nt you????

Fairness and common sense doesn't come into it (don't forget where you are) - so shut up and pay like a good little boy!!!!:blink:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

How do we get up north???

I am NOT a lawyer.

This is the labor attorney side of me speaking: The Labor Protection Act only requires that you give employees 13 public holidays (from a list of 16 holidays) each year. If they work on one of those holidays, you must pay overtime. The government has merely added 3 more days to the list of 16. Banks and government offices will be closed. Private employers may remain open for business and require their employee's attendance on the holidays, without paying overtime, unless their employees have taken less than 13 public holidays during the year.

This is the HR manager side of me speaking: As a good corporate citizen, you want to sympathize and accommodate this situation which may be devastating to some of your workers. I will give you an example of an email that I sent to my staff today:

To All Staff:

The Government has designated Thursday, October 27 through Monday, October 31 as public holidays. The purpose of this holiday is to allow workers in Bangkok to return safely to their home provinces, as some areas of local flooding are anticipated over the weekend due to high tide conditions.

Please remember that these holidays apply to those who really need the time to make preparations. The Company will remain open over these holidays.

If you do not need the time off to make preparations, the Company would appreciate if you would come to work as usual. If you should need to take time off, we request that you notify HR of your absence or late arrival time for work during this flooding event.

You should also know that in the event that the office area is threatened with flooding, the Company is making relocation plans that provide for the safety and well-being of all staff and their families.

We ask that each of you take care for your health and safety during this flooding event. If you should need any assistance, do not hesitate to contact HR, as we are here to help you.

Thank you for this.

It can't be clearer.

I am NOT a lawyer.

To All Staff:

Dear zaphodbeeblebrox

I am not sure what you are trying to acheive but posting smart useful articulate responses - with out any name calling or derogatory comments - on Thai Visa will get you no where.

:)

Hope all are well and safe in BKK.

G

I am NOT a lawyer.

To All Staff:

Thank you for this.

It can't be clearer.

WOW You are spot on sounds like you are employed by a very good and understanding company.

Follow the compass point.... sort of Morchit----Korat ----K.Khen.-----Udon...But N/E or N/W.....

The announcement came after Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra made a televised address warning residents along the Chao Phraya river to be on "full alert" after it reached record highs of of 2.30 metres on Monday.

"If the situation continues in these circumstances, the water level this weekend will hit 2.60 metres, while our average flood embankment is 2.50 metres high," he said.

Average flood embankment is 2.50 metres high ? And how high are minimum flood embankments ?

Mai pen rai, this is not good! If BKK city get flooded, how long will the holiday be then?

<_<:(:huh:

"This is a perfect example of a real HR Manager who has a heart and not just all business as usual.

jap.gif 10 10 10 for you!

To All Staff:

One last note here, I don't want to directly accuse anyone but shouldn't political infighting take a backseat to an impending humanitarian disaster? One week ago my University notified me of this holiday, it's getting to the general public today. Obviously there are people who know exactly where the water is going, and when it will get there. Lets put politics in the back pocket for a month or two and get the information out there to people who's livelihood and lives are at stake.

One last note here, I don't want to directly accuse anyone but shouldn't political infighting take a backseat to an impending humanitarian disaster? One week ago my University notified me of this holiday, it's getting to the general public today. Obviously there are people who know exactly where the water is going, and when it will get there. Lets put politics in the back pocket for a month or two and get the information out there to people who's livelihood and lives are at stake.

When the politicians do that, posters might.

Usual tiresome old trolls on TV having their say on this thread. People concerned about whether they will lose money when there is little doubt that most areas of Bangkok will be flooded. Peoples' lives are in danger, some have already lost their houses and all their possessions, and others their lives. Students can't go to schools nor can people get to work if forecasts of flooding are correct - 8 billion cubic metres of water is not going to spread out very nicely over Bangkok over the next few days with the river mouth at high tide. Bangkok covers 1568.7 sq.km. Lets guess that buildings cover only half of that area (and I am sure it would be much more than that) and the water was spread evenly (which of course it won't be), I guess the water level would be about 40 cm high. That is an optimistic outlook.

Check out the following map:-

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/308916_10150502578489619_697174618_11284387_2065243900_n.jpg

(Sorry, I can't tell you the original source).

In my opinion, it is about time that people got a bit more serious about it. Reports are that areas close to the centre are flooding already.

By boat?

I am NOT a lawyer.

To All Staff:

Dear zaphodbeeblebrox

I am not sure what you are trying to acheive but posting smart useful articulate responses - with out any name calling or derogatory comments - on Thai Visa will get you no where.

:)

Hope all are well and safe in BKK.

G

:D

Yes - very useful .... thanks! I was just about to draft a note to the team when I got a model draft on TV of all places. I normally only read TV for the amusement value of the petty political bickering.