Thailand Declares Holidays To Cope With Flood Crisis

webfact

a 5 day holiday is just what the people need

No food on the store shelves

No money in the bank machines

Great time to give workers time off to go

up north and get drunk for 5 days

I understand that this decision is the right one as I am in lak Si and we are being surrounded by the water but not everyone is touched by this problem. I am quite prepared to wade out of here to teach students at a private language centre (who want to study) and are not affected by this but I am forced to take a 7 day sabbatical. Crazy. Too many people mucking around doing nothing is not a good thing. Ask the UK government about what can happen in that situation. No money and no food. Could get nasty.

I would advise peoples to come down to Hua Hin, lovely sunshine, no rain, supermarkets full of goods, cheap hotels and guest houses .. lovely beach and not a cloud on the horizon... dont know what all the fuss is about, did not see a puddle on the golf course today.. pass another Chang mate... Oh, and I did donate the kids old water wings to the flood relief , so I,m not all bad..!

...and you are also hillariously funny!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the south, were it is relatively dry, this year, I am sure my workers will claim their Government holiday and expect to be paid. Is this limited to any provinces affected by flood or a nationwide declaration?

Whe we were flooded last year no one really cared. We were left to our our devices.

Bangkok was last under water about 16-17 years ago I heard they had solved the problem but obviously not!

Alot of people from Bangkok are now buying property in the north.

That same year taxis were so underwater in sukhumvit you could only see the taxi sign showing above water where they were parked and yes the Pin Klao side of the river only had a bit of flooding outside my apartment block it was. Waste high some times of the day it was tidal flooding that's why they installed flood barriers.

1994 in the month off april on the west side of the river on Borom Ratchachonnani near Pata shopping about half a metre of water.

I understand that this decision is the right one as I am in lak Si and we are being surrounded by the water but not everyone is touched by this problem. I am quite prepared to wade out of here to teach students at a private language centre (who want to study) and are not affected by this but I am forced to take a 7 day sabbatical. Crazy. Too many people mucking around doing nothing is not a good thing. Ask the UK government about what can happen in that situation. No money and no food. Could get nasty.

I would advise peoples to come down to Hua Hin, lovely sunshine, no rain, supermarkets full of goods, cheap hotels and guest houses .. lovely beach and not a cloud on the horizon... dont know what all the fuss is about, did not see a puddle on the golf course today.. pass another Chang mate... Oh, and I did donate the kids old water wings to the flood relief , so I,m not all bad..!

You might not be so happy in a few days when they all arrive...because if you look at this thread.. they aint in BKK any more.

http://www.pantip.co.../E11243600.html

Good Lord...those photos are totally surreal. Pic after pic of BKK with not a soul in sight. Right out of a movie...

In the south, were it is relatively dry, this year, I am sure my workers will claim their Government holiday and expect to be paid. Is this limited to any provinces affected by flood or a nationwide declaration?

Whe we were flooded last year no one really cared. We were left to our our devices.

Holidays are for Bangkok and 20 other flood affected provinces.

Just shut up and pay. You wanted a business in LOS, now you know why most don't bother.

So we have to let the staff go while continue to pay their salaries - again.

Alternatively they come to work and get OT paid.

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

Or does common sense not apply here and we just shut up and pay - as usual?

How do we get up north???

Follow the compass point.... sort of Morchit----Korat ----K.Khen.-----Udon...But N/E or N/W.....

Might be nice in Mae Hong Son now...jap.gif

So we have to let the staff go while continue to pay their salaries - again.

Alternatively they come to work and get OT paid.

One question remains: where can I send my extra staff expenses for all those holidays and OT-extras within the Thai government because, despite asking my customers, they are not willing to pay extra.

And yes, the floods were a man-made goofie by some government officials which opened the water gates of all those dams once they were at the brink of overflowing and not continuous water releases as of the beginning of the rainy season (like they do in all other countries on this planet).

So in all fairness and common sense, the government will pay all these extras as it was their executive nameless staff who involved the costs.

Or does common sense not apply here and we just shut up and pay - as usual?

Hey ! Are you criticizing Thai Culture ?

Remember the rules (for Falang) of Thai Culture

1. You do NOT talk about Thai Culture !

2. You do NOT talk about Thai Culture !

3 If you are new to Thai Culture you must get f**ked over by Thai Culture !

One last note here, I don't want to directly accuse anyone but shouldn't political infighting take a backseat to an impending humanitarian disaster? One week ago my University notified me of this holiday, it's getting to the general public today. Obviously there are people who know exactly where the water is going, and when it will get there. Lets put politics in the back pocket for a month or two and get the information out there to people who's livelihood and lives are at stake.

Maybe you are a bit new here - so be warned - you are getting dangerously close to critisizing "Thai Culture".

I don't think these floods were mismanaged at all. It was all planned from the very beginning -- to cause chaos, suffering, and utter destruction so that one particular politician can come in and play HERO...

... the lives and livelihoods of the Thai people for one grossly rich scumbag to become even more grossly rich. Sounds familiar... trademark even.

Yeah.

Right-o

Only in thailand do they call disaster a holiday,,,land of smiles :huh:

The Thai word often used for a 'day off' which could be a holiday - วันหยุด (wan yut) - literally means "day"+"stopped". So, used in this context it doesn't mean the English "holiday," and would be better translated as "days off" or "shutdown." A Thai word that more directly means a 'holiday' or 'festival' is วันฉลอง (wan chalaawng) which means, literally, 'day' + 'festival'. The word 'holiday' was a bad translation.

Only in thailand do they call disaster a holiday,,,land of smiles :huh:

The Thai word often used for a 'day off' which could be a holiday - วันหยุด (wan yut) - literally means "day"+"stopped". So, used in this context it doesn't mean the English "holiday," and would be better translated as "days off" or "shutdown." A Thai word that more directly means a 'holiday' or 'festival' is วันฉลอง (wan chalaawng) which means, literally, 'day' + 'festival'. The word 'holiday' was a bad translation.

Sure looks like a "holiday" party to me, albeit perhaps one with a prescient theme:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Tranced-out-and-dancing-30168723.html