2009 Ford Ranger

garyk

I bought a ford ranger at a auction in 2009 cheap. It has been a stellar performer. I have 99,500 KM on it now. The problem is when I get it serviced I am having a hell of a time getting good parts and service.

I had 60000 trouble free KM on the truck when I pulled in for new tires. I checked the brakes and they were thin. So I had them turn the roters and new brakes. 8000 KM later the roters were ruined and the pads were non existant. I bought new rotors and new breaks and was assured again first class parts. Now with just 6000 KM on it the breaks are in good shape but the rotors are warped so bad I am having them turned again and a new brake job done.

Not only that at 50000 KM I took it in for an oil change and the idiots drained the transmission oil and didn't tell me. The transmission got where it would not shift. I took it in and they said no oil??? So had oil put back in, thankfully that fixed it. I was frantic it was going to ruin the transmission.

I am on the road all the time as a photographer and I always go to Goodyear or a big dealer to take care of the problems.

My question is. Do you guys have the same problems. Or should I take it back to the dealer each time? I have a terrible time finding a dealer in the sticks here. That is the reason I take it to the big shops when I pass one.

Anyway this truck was stellar until I had to start getting it serviced here. Now I am afraid every time I take it in.

http://www.ford.co.t...Page&site=FTHEN

or there are other simular places that are reliable like Cockpit outlets.

Yep, there's at least one Ford dealer in even the smallest province, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get proper servcing/repairs.

And if you service/repair at a Ford dealership, they have a 24 hour parts delivery guarantee, and you're sure to get actual genuine parts.

Saving a few Baht on non genuine parts is a false economy in most cases, as the genuine ones are very reasonably priced in TH, and the non-genuine ones are often not worth as much as the box they come in..

It would appear the OP has experienced first hand though ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

http://www.ford.co.t...Page&site=FTHEN

or there are other simular places that are reliable like Cockpit outlets.

Try the one in Uttaraditt Province, its bloody useless. Ubon Rat is superb.Weak Management in my book.post-4641-1156693976.gif You may have fostered a good relationship at your local depot. No good if you are Hi Miles. Tyre Plus are consistent, and out to you for just a puncture in 30 mins. I wont change a wheel anymore.

Well I made an appointment with the Ford dealer here in Pechaburi. He said it was the parts being used. He said he would fix it. BUT that is what the last one said also. But not a Ford dealer.

If this fixes it. It is the third brake job I have had in 2 months. I have my fingers crossed. If it does fix it. Then I will know. But I have a feeling it is the bad parts being distributed here by major retailers here. And passed on the the consumer.

I will let you know how it comes out. I have a feeling I am one that learned the hard way.

After tomorrow I will have spent 11700 bhat. My god. I have a toyota back in my home country that I had a brake job done on about 2 months ago and it only cost me 195 dollars.

I'm usually in the mountains between thailand and laos or burma. At present I came down for the shore birds here in Pechaburi. Most of the time i pick up oil and filters when I pass a big town. But most of the time a Ford dealer means driving a hundred KM or more.

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos If anyone likes bird pics here is my link.

Edited by garyk

Well I made an appointment with the Ford dealer here in Pechaburi. He said it was the parts being used. He said he would fix it. BUT that is what the last one said also. But not a Ford dealer.

If this fixes it. It is the third brake job I have had in 2 months. I have my fingers crossed. If it does fix it. Then I will know. But I have a feeling it is the bad parts being distributed here by major retailers here. And passed on the the consumer.

I will let you know how it comes out. I have a feeling I am one that learned the hard way.

After tomorrow I will have spent 11700 bhat. My god. I have a toyota back in my home country that I had a brake job done on about 2 months ago and it only cost me 195 dollars.

I'm usually in the mountains between thailand and laos or burma. At present I came down for the shore birds here in Pechaburi. Most of the time i pick up oil and filters when I pass a big town. But most of the time a Ford dealer means driving a hundred KM or more.

When it comes to replacing brake parts as you have described,

you should always use genuine parts from a dealer, (not aftermarket, especially brakes)

My general rule of thumb is, any part that determines the safety of the vehicle or the life expectancy of the

engine or transmission should be genuine only.

For anything else aftermarket parts can be considered.

ps: i like bird pics very much, but not the feathered variety! biggrin.gif

I'm sure you could have had a good job done the first time at even less than 195 $ if you had gone to Ford right away.But it seems that you love to get yourself in trouble just to save a few Baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/385339-ford-canceled-my-warrenty/page__p__3765308__fromsearch__1#entry3765308

In my native language there is a proverb that translates as " if you buy cheap,you will get what you pay for"

I've had 3 Thai made ford pickups as work trucks over the years with each clocking up 100k before they were updated. They were part of a large leased work fleet.

Those reliable workhorses spent most of their time towing heavy trailers and I can't recall any having brake problems during their service life.

It sounds like your brake pads and rotors were cheap copies. Don't be fooled by the packaging, the packaging looks the same as ford genuine parts.

Do yourself a favour and get your work done at a dealer.

Yea, I tend to agree with you. I try to save when I can here. But with parts on the truck it is not worth it. Better to be safe than sorry I guess. Back home it is different. You are protected by laws. Here you have to be a little more careful. No sweat though. Live and learn.

Edited by garyk

Yea, I tend to agree with you. I try to save when I can here. But with parts on the truck it is not worth it. Better to be safe than sorry I guess. Back home it is different. You are protected by laws. Here you have to be a little more careful. No sweat though. Live and learn.

Thank you so much for your nice insulting PM,it confirmed my thoughts that you were a fool in Thailand.