How To Effectively Hook Up Pla Nin In Thai Rental Pond?

Holysteel

Hi all,

Is there any tricks or tips on fishing these farmed Tilapia on Thai fishing parks ? I have tried like what the locals do using lum but not to much satisfaction

The rig that i used is like what the others used just a simple swivel tied to two hook.

Is there any other rig that u guys would recommended?

I would like to try the floating rig . is that advisable?

And lastly which bait would anyone recommend that can be use to hook these species up more effectively.

Thank you

Well ,we catch ours with a cast or butterfly net ,but for angling ,the plastic burley bucket with its attached multiple hooks loaded up with the mixture available at fishing shops works.

For fun ,I find a small kneaded lump of cooked sticky rice on a small hook with no sinker works.

At our place we let the local summer camp kids in to fish once or twice a year. When we do this, we use hot dogs for bait, a small single hook with a split shot above and a float. Its like shooting fish in barrel as the fish have no exposure to hooks on a routine basis. Normally, the fish are fed floating pellets.

Can i use this rig to target pla nin ?

http://bankfisher.co...m_txt_SWF18.gif

I saw this sold in local Thai fishing shop. They use it to target Pla Sawai. Giant Mekong Catfish. Striped Catfish etc though.

I am thinking of using a smaller one to target these Tilapia. The coil would be pressed with lum dough acting as an attractor while the single hook will be to hook up the fish. Can these work? Im not really sure. Hope someone will advise me. That will be great.

The two technique that i saw in the local rental pond was float fishing with a float rod while the other was a simple rig consist of just hooks & swivel, with tissue on the casted main line acting as a guage signalling that the fish has sucked the bait. Meaning its time to strike up the rod.

From what i have gathered. Delicately was the key. No weight no nothing. If these farmed Tilapia detect some weight or tension on the bait. They will spit it out immediately and move on.

Hope anyone, anyone at all can shine some extra insight on these

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been more successful than the locals with the coil and multiple hooks with small pieces of bread. Another way is to buy a few shrimp at the store and cut them into tiny chunks. What is also easy is I use just bread and shrimp scent and once it hits the water the bite. I use multiple hooks, so I hook at least one each cast. The scent I use is from the US called Mike's shrimp gel scent. I out fish the guys that use the coil feeder with the foam balls because it is only effective on the river where there are lots of snags.

Happy fishing

Hello,

I have been more successful than the locals with the coil and multiple hooks with small pieces of bread. Another way is to buy a few shrimp at the store and cut them into tiny chunks. What is also easy is I use just bread and shrimp scent and once it hits the water the bite. I use multiple hooks, so I hook at least one each cast. The scent I use is from the US called Mike's shrimp gel scent. I out fish the guys that use the coil feeder with the foam balls because it is only effective on the river where there are lots of snags.

Happy fishing

Where can I buy 'Mike's Shrimp Gel Scent'? I'm hoping to save some money on crab salads for the wife!whistling.gif

Ufishing,

Hi there. Thanks for sharing your technique with us. Care to elaborate more on your rigging & hookset method mate ?

You stated that u used a mutilple hook . How do u roughly rig it ?

Lastly how do u set the hook on these soft eater (farmed Pla nin). The local Thais put a tissue as a signal gauge on their casted line. If there is a slight tug/pull, they will immediately strike their rod. The timing from what i have observed must be ridiculously precise down to the spilt-nano second. If not, the hooking was not a success.

From what i observed. Small-medium size Tilapia will tug/peck the baited hook with vigor & energy. But the larger size Tilapia (1.5kg above) will just slowly delicately suck the bait on just a split 1-2 second time frame. Making striking on time impossible for me at least. Up till now i HAVE NOT BEEN successful in landing a 1kg size above tilapia on Thai rental ponds. And it beginning to depress me greatly LOL.Especially when the Thais began to see me as the 'foreign idiot' on their pond. Nevertheless, im going to succeed in this. And will never give up.

And advice or information is greatly appreciated/welcome.

Cheers

Holysteel

Hello,

On the coil feeder or lead, you use it, so it slides on your line. The fish will pull on the bait and not feel the weight if you have your drag soft enough. I use fairly small hooks and most of the time, they will swim away without you having to set the hook. I use an american size eight hook. I use two or four hooks, so when a fish bites and not get hooked, there is still bait and you are still fishing.

Sliding: Take the line from the end of your rod and slip a coil feeder or lead on, next put a small bead so it doesn't damage your knot, tie a swivel to the end, and tie at least two hooks that are four to six inches long to the swivel.

Another method is tying two hooks above the lead and use the least amount of lead just so you can cast.

If the fish are there and you use the correct bait, they should bite almost instantly when you cast out. In lakes where they are plentiful, I just hold the rod and once in a while reel a turn or two and they will bite.

When you plan to go and where do you go? I can meet you sometime and show you on a weekend.

Good luck,

thanh

From what i observed. Small-medium size Tilapia will tug/peck the baited hook with vigor & energy. But the larger size Tilapia (1.5kg above) will just slowly delicately suck the bait on just a split 1-2 second time frame. Making striking on time impossible for me at least. Up till now i HAVE NOT BEEN successful in landing a 1kg size above tilapia on Thai rental ponds. And it beginning to depress me greatly LOL.Especially when the Thais began to see me as the 'foreign idiot' on their pond. Nevertheless, im going to succeed in this. And will never give up.

And advice or information is greatly appreciated/welcome.

Cheers

Holysteel

Ufishin,

hey, That very nice of you to show me the ropes. Unfortunately im down South. I guess u might be based in Bangkok. Please correct me if im wrong. Usually most of the time i would fish Pla nin in the Thai rental pond for relaxation. And sometime once in a blue moon would head over natural water for saltwater fishing.

I would sometime fish for Pla Shado & Chon also. Would be great if u are located at South, We could fish together.

• 7 months later...

How much do fingerlings cost?

I read somewhere in an aquaponics forum that you can take the pla nin and put them in a 10% salt tank for a week or two before eating or marketing them. This will remove a lot of the muddiness in the meat.

How much do fingerlings cost?

I read somewhere in an aquaponics forum that you can take the pla nin and put them in a 10% salt tank for a week or two before eating or marketing them. This will remove a lot of the muddiness in the meat.

Just squeeze some lemon on the meat. The muddiness will be gone.