Obtaining A Non-Immigrant "O" Visa In Jakarta, Vientiene And Brisbane

I obtained a multiple entry Non-immigrant O visa valid for 1 year in Jakarta in 2010. The process took just three days, a good experience. The documents I submitted with the application were

Passport, application form + 2 photos

Copy of marriage certificate

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of wife's house registration

USD 175

I did not have a letter from my wife nor did I need to show any bank statements, although I could have prepared these if needed.

I then tried to extend this visa in Thailand and went to Immigration at Chaengwattana Road. I waited in the queue for 3 hrs then the officer I met told me kindly that I would need to arrange a long list of documents for the application, including evidence of having 400,000THB in a bank account for the last 3 months, and my wife would need to come for the interview. A complicated procedure that sucks up your time.

I urgently needed to travel so decided to let the old visa expire, then I tried get a new Non-immigrant O visa in Vientiene in June of this year. I presented copies of the usual documents but was only able to get a single entry visa valid for 90 days only, and it cost me 2000THB. I asked for a multiple entry visa and the woman in charge of the desk at the Thai Embassy who appeared jaded was very unhelpful, said it was impossible. So I accepted the single entry visa and entered Thailand on the O visa, then because I travel frequently outside of Thailand, I had to buy a reentry permit when I next went through Immigration at Suwannaphum Airport. That cost me another 3800THB, so a total of 5800THB or 64THB/day. Not cheap. A bad visa experience. Won't be going there again.

That visa expired and I obtained a new multi-entry O visa valid for 1 year at the Brisbane Thai Consulate - General in the first week of October.

Provided passport, application form + 2 photos

Copy of wife's ID card

Copy of wife's house registration

Copy of son's birth certificate

Letter of introduction from wife

AUD 225

It took me 2 hrs to find the Consulate - General Office which is hidden in an unobtrusive building on a street off the main drag in one of Brisbane city's inner suburbs. Then it took them 10 minutes to issue the visa after I submitted the docs and fee! Very friendly professional Thai ladies at the desk. Another good visa experience.

In Asia, only Kuala Lumphur and Savanakhet are known to issue multiple non-'s based on marriage, so no surprise about Vientianne.

Thanks for your report about Jakarta. We don't get many reporrts about Indonesia, but the few I have seen were indeed positive. Your story confirms that Jakarta is a possible option for a multiple non-O.

• 5 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread I thought it more appropriate to carry on with this one.

What is the latest situation with the Thai Consulate - General Brisbane? I am an Australian travelling on Aussie passport married in Australia to a Thai national for 20 years.

I would like to purchase a Multiple entry Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage to a Thai.

I have sent 2 emails in the last 2 weeks to the Consulate asking some basic questions of what is needed from this Consulate to facilitate this visa but I have not received any replies. So my question, is there any changes on how to obtain this visa. Previously I have have sent my E-ticket and copy of marriage certificate and the visa was granted. Has anything changed? Thank you.

Not many reports, but didn't hear that anything has changed.

If you want to add some documents, you can also send:

- copy of ID-card of wife

- copy of husehold registration book of wife

- small note from misses asking for a visa for you

I received a multi O visa last August from the Brisbane consulate.

Copy of wedding certificate,wifes tabienbahn and ID card.

Surprised at no answer to e-mails.I had several replies within a few hours

of sending.

I applied in person and the visa was issued in one hour.

Thanks Blue Scouse and Mario, I am surprised too as I have over the last several years also received responses pretty quick back from them too. Never mind, I will call them soon and I will let the forum know of the outcome, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Full report on my experience of obtaining a Non Immigrant O Multiple entry visa based on being married to a Thai National. Purpose of visit? Visit family and friends.

Australian citizen with Australian passport.

Royal Thai Consul-General Brisbane.

Mail Application.

From the 11th of April 2012 until the 23rd of April I sent 3 separate emails to the Consulate asking for general information. None of those emails were ever answered, that was unusual as I have always received email replies before. My only choice then was to give them a casual call and ask them what was required from me.

For a Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa I supplied the following:

A filled out application form

2 x passport photos

Copy of Australian Marriage Certificate

A copy of my wife's ID card or a copy of her passport. (I copied the Thai ID card front and back for them)

A return paid self addressed registered mail envelope

$225 AUD Australia Post Money Order

A copy of my flight details (not asked for but I supplied it extra)

I submitted the above by registered post and it took 7 working days to get my passport back. The 7 working days means that day 1 was the day I sent my passport and that day 7 I got it back.

The Royal Thai Consul-General Brisbane has always been very efficient for me in the past and I was not disappointed this time either. I can not work out why emails weren't replied to and I didn't ask however they were very helpful on the phone. Thank you to all of you at the Royal Thai Consul-General Brisbane.wai.gif

Thank you very much, bmanly. I have added a link to your post in the list "Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region"

Regarding the absence of a reply to your emails, this is just a wild guess but I could imagine that some consulates are reluctant to put some things in writing in view of the pressure recently put on them to be stricter with issuing visas. Some consulates still seem loath to require the full gamut of documents indicated on the MFA website and may not want to put on paper or in an email something that the MFA could use against them. Just a wild guess, like I said.

• 5 months later...

Just received a new one year Non-O multiple entry in Brisbane on basis of supporting my children.

Brought with me copies of

Tabian ban

ID cards of my children

Birth certificates (I had my children write their names on the copies, don't know if needed)

2 passport size photos

paid AUD 225 fee and walked out of the consulate about 10 minutes after submitting the documents.

The clerc whom issued the visa even explained the visa, its validity and the 90 day rule.

A pleasant eperience indeed.

In 2010 i applied for and was granted a multi o" visa from the perth office they were 100% helpfull. couldnt wish for better service.

yesterday i called the consulate in brisbane to enquire about the same visa,, multi O".. im in cairns at the moment.

well what a difference in attitude, i was informed i needed to be married to a thai.. im not at the moment ,,

i also needed to supply my bank account details from here in australia and thailand, so i suspect they were looking for the 800.000 a retirment visa needs ?

when i told her i wasnt married and had had a retirment visa before, im 62 and got that in thailand, and also had the multi O" before issued from perth

she told me to call sydney and put the phone down,, whats changed ??

i havnt seen anything on the net. but there again iv been in isan living with the girlfriends family for some months so not much internet in the village

regards M

• 2 months later...

I was to obtain a visa extension for my current non-immigrant "O" visa but due to an illness in the family I was unable to get to the local immigration office before the expiry of my current re-entry permit.

Instead during the New Year break I applied for a new visa from Perth. I sent the application to the Brisbane Royal Thai Consulate General, as I have used them before and they were very helpful.

I downloaded the application here http://www.thaiconsulate.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=125

The docs I provided were

Passport, application form + 2 photos

Copy of wife's ID card

Postal money order for AUD 225

I sent the docs via a Australia Post platinum courier service and included a platinum self-addressed envelope for the return. Cost = AUD27.80. Process from sending application to receiving the visa took 10 days since there were several holidays/weekends over the New Year break. The Consulate turned the application around the day they received it. Thanks again Bill and Mai Dunn at the Consulate for a hassle free visa renewal!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This year I have applied for a Single entry Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai and visiting family and friends. It was the same as in previous years (no problems) however it just took 2 days longer this time.

Australian citizen with Australian passport.
Royal Thai Consul-General Brisbane.
Mail Application.

A filled out application form

2 x passport photos
Copy of Australian Marriage Certificate
A copy of my wife's ID card or a copy of her passport. (I copied the Thai ID card front and back for them)
A return paid self addressed registered mail envelope
$90 AUD Australia Post Money Order
A copy of my flight details (not asked for but I supplied it extra)

The application took 9 working days and that includes the day I sent the passport until the day I received it back.

All in all once again a very professional service from the Royal Thai Consul-General Brisbane, thank you.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif